Somalia Bans Christmas Celebrations

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#1 Dec 28, 2013
The Somali Government has banned celebration of Christian festivities in the country.

A directive released on Tuesday by the Ministry of Justice and Religious Affairs stated that no Christian festivities could be held in Somalia.

The Director General of the ministry, Sheikh Mohamed Khayrow Aden, and the Director of the Religious Matters, Sheikh Ali Sheikh Mohamud alias Sheikh Ali Dhere, held a press conference in the capital Mogadishu, to make the announcement.

The ban came just hours before Christmas Day, when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, their spiritual saviour.

“We alert fellow Muslims in Somalia that some festivities to mark Christian Days will take place around the world in this week,” said Sheikh Ali Dhere during the press conference, adding:“It is prohibited to celebrate those days in this country.”

Mr Aden, on his part, stated that all security and law enforcement agencies had been instructed to counter any such celebrations.

He added that copies of the directive were delivered to hotels and other meeting places in Mogadishu.

The officials did not say anything on whether non-Muslim foreign workers or residents could celebrate or not.

It is the first time that a Somali government bans the celebrations since the last central government collapsed in 1991.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/religio...
Duke for Mayor

Hilliard, OH

#2 Dec 28, 2013
Sounds like the US of A.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#3 Dec 28, 2013
Wait what wrote:
The Somali Government has banned celebration of Christian festivities in the country.
A directive released on Tuesday by the Ministry of Justice and Religious Affairs stated that no Christian festivities could be held in Somalia.
The Director General of the ministry, Sheikh Mohamed Khayrow Aden, and the Director of the Religious Matters, Sheikh Ali Sheikh Mohamud alias Sheikh Ali Dhere, held a press conference in the capital Mogadishu, to make the announcement.
The ban came just hours before Christmas Day, when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, their spiritual saviour.
“We alert fellow Muslims in Somalia that some festivities to mark Christian Days will take place around the world in this week,” said Sheikh Ali Dhere during the press conference, adding:“It is prohibited to celebrate those days in this country.”
Mr Aden, on his part, stated that all security and law enforcement agencies had been instructed to counter any such celebrations.
He added that copies of the directive were delivered to hotels and other meeting places in Mogadishu.
The officials did not say anything on whether non-Muslim foreign workers or residents could celebrate or not.
It is the first time that a Somali government bans the celebrations since the last central government collapsed in 1991.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/religio...
Why do you care?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Dec 28, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
Sounds like the US of A.
How so? Do believe we have a first amendment that protects the freedom of religion... Don't think there's ever been a movement to outlaw the celebrations of Ramadan (sp?), Passover, or even Saturnalia...
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#5 Dec 28, 2013
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you care?
Jane, you ignorant s...!

Because I believe in religious freedom worldwide. Because some of the folks who are interested are now living here in Columbus as immigrants and I've heard their stories. For someone who claims to be a lawyer you're not very bright, are you? I hope you weren't specializing in civil rights!
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#6 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you care?
Do you ever get outside of your own little village in your head? Never mind - rhetorical.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#7 Dec 28, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane, you ignorant s...!
Because I believe in religious freedom worldwide. Because some of the folks who are interested are now living here in Columbus as immigrants and I've heard their stories. For someone who claims to be a lawyer you're not very bright, are you? I hope you weren't specializing in civil rights!
You may not know this, but other countries don't have protections like the First Amendment that we enjoy. If those folks don't like the policies of Somalia, they can leave. Isn't that the advice your pals here always give those who don't agree with them? They can move to Columbus so your pals can call them all kinds of horrible names and blame all of their problems on them.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#8 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>
You may not know this, but other countries don't have protections like the First Amendment that we enjoy. If those folks don't like the policies of Somalia, they can leave. Isn't that the advice your pals here always give those who don't agree with them? They can move to Columbus so your pals can call them all kinds of horrible names and blame all of their problems on them.
An answer totally without substance and typed out because you couldn't NOT say something. Your meltdowns are fun to watch; funnier still with an adult beverage or two.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#9 Dec 29, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
An answer totally without substance and typed out because you couldn't NOT say something. Your meltdowns are fun to watch; funnier still with an adult beverage or two.
Totally without substance? It addressed head on your faux concern about a country in Africa not allowing Christmas. You then create a strawman about my supposed meltdown to divert attention away from your inane observation. I have broken you down to nothing more than a bargain basement 3.1. All that is missing is the racial pejoratives. Is that next?
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#10 Dec 29, 2013
In Indonesia the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

In Lebanon the penalty for a man having sex with a male animal is death, but sex with female animals is ok.

On the Isle of Capri, it is illegal to wear noisy sandals.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#11 Dec 29, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
In Indonesia the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.
In Lebanon the penalty for a man having sex with a male animal is death, but sex with female animals is ok.
On the Isle of Capri, it is illegal to wear noisy sandals.
OH THE HUMANITY!

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#12 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Totally without substance? It addressed head on your faux concern about a country in Africa not allowing Christmas. You then create a strawman about my supposed meltdown to divert attention away from your inane observation. I have broken you down to nothing more than a bargain basement 3.1. All that is missing is the racial pejoratives. Is that next?
I maybe afraid to ask this question, since I know how you'll respond.

But pray tell, how in the H3LL was hers a "faux concern?"

Isn't tolerance an good idea, worldwide?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#13 Dec 29, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I maybe afraid to ask this question, since I know how you'll respond.
But pray tell, how in the H3LL was hers a "faux concern?"
Isn't tolerance an good idea, worldwide?
Allow me to answer your question this way:

You question how I may surmise that her concern was insincere yet you claim you know how I will respond to your question. Think about that.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#14 Dec 29, 2013
The last I looked Somalia is in Africa. Why should black Somalians care about a white European holiday? Has Santa sent an emissary to Mogadishu to work things out?
Where is Bernard when Santa needs him?

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#15 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Allow me to answer your question this way:
You question how I may surmise that her concern was insincere yet you claim you know how I will respond to your question. Think about that.
Really? You're going to answer a question with a question? Lame. I asked you a direct question, "counselor." How can her concern be labeled "faux." You know the reason for my response. You cannot answer a question without a fight or an argument.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#16 Dec 29, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You're going to answer a question with a question? Lame. I asked you a direct question, "counselor." How can her concern be labeled "faux." You know the reason for my response. You cannot answer a question without a fight or an argument.
I didn't think you could do it. I answered your question, Laverne, it just required you to think a little bit and that's what tripped you up.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#17 Dec 29, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
And by the way, my response to you was not a question.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#18 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I didn't think you could do it. I answered your question, Laverne, it just required you to think a little bit and that's what tripped you up.
You labeled it a "faux concern." I asked your reasoning why you judged it so, Satan.

I'm sorry you don't understand a direct question and prefer to use passive-aggressiveness to attempt to prove your sh!++iness.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#19 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
And by the way, my response to you was not a question.
That's right. My bad. I was being polite and labeled your DEMAND that I "think about it" as a question. I was assuming you could self-reflect. I now realize that is impossible.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#20 Dec 29, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. My bad. I was being polite and labeled your DEMAND that I "think about it" as a question. I was assuming you could self-reflect. I now realize that is impossible.
It was a suggestion, not a demand, that you think about it. And you still obviously haven't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Cop Darren Wilson Will Never Police Again 45 min Glitters Undertaker 3
Missing Ohio State Football Player Subject of S... 50 min Glitters Undertaker 3
Will Cosby Be Charged With Hate Crimes For Drug... 55 min Glitters Undertaker 4
Ferguson Missouri safer than Walmart in Circlev... 57 min Glitters Undertaker 18
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Pale Rider 4,662
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 3 hr Male 404
Government Investigates Ferguson but Not Michae... 3 hr Culture Auditor 1
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News