Is Columbus Next?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#44 Nov 20, 2012
Travelled to Cuba completely legally on a US passport. US allows visas for various study-related purposes.

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#45 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
Travelled to Cuba completely legally on a US passport. US allows visas for various study-related purposes.
You must have gone between 1977 and 1982.
Karl

Sharon Center, OH

#46 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
You put cash in the hands of a murderous regime

Location hidden

#47 Nov 20, 2012
1987, as I recall.
Oliver Twist

Springfield, OH

#48 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
1987, as I recall.
So you were at Jonestown?

Antioch, IL

#49 Nov 20, 2012
Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
They killed 19 of our soldiers. That equates to being unappreciative.
"They " as in the 40% Somalis that wasn't even born during Blackhawk siege?

Antioch, IL

#50 Nov 20, 2012
Oliver Twist wrote:
<quoted text>
Jonestown was not in Cuba! It was in South America, Guyana.

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#51 Nov 20, 2012
WISE AMERICAN wrote:
<quoted text>"They " as in the 40% Somalis that wasn't even born during Blackhawk siege?
None of us white folk were around during slavery and at least 65% weren't around during Jim Crow. But you people don't seem to make that distinction.
Karl

Sharon Center, OH

#52 Nov 20, 2012
WISE AMERICAN wrote:
<quoted text>"They " as in the 40% Somalis that wasn't even born during Blackhawk siege?
Since Somali society had no problem with the gangsters and Islamists, I hold them all collectively responsible.

Further, there are numerous incidences of Somalis returning to Somalia to fight with the terrorists.

The Somalis have an ongoing hatred of the west, despite the fact that when they were an Italian colony, life was better than it is today.
Oliver Twist

Springfield, OH

#53 Nov 20, 2012
WISE AMERICAN wrote:
So you support all things Black?

Don't you worry about being exposed to shigellosis from the dung smeared toilet seats skinnys leave for others to clean?
punkazz

Columbus, OH

#54 Nov 20, 2012
Oliver Twist wrote:
<quoted text>
You got your years and locations mixed up. The people of Jonestown perished in 1978 NOT 1987.
WiseAmerican

Antioch, IL

#55 Nov 20, 2012
Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>None of us white folk were around during slavery and at least 65% weren't around during Jim Crow. But you people don't seem to make that distinction.
You're right, Bunker. You weren't there but your mentality is spot on with the Bull Conners and Strom Thurmans

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#56 Nov 20, 2012
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, Bunker. You weren't there but your mentality is spot on with the Bull Conners and Strom Thurmans
Both of whom were democrats LMAO......
Oliver Twist

Springfield, OH

#57 Nov 20, 2012
punkazz wrote:
<quoted text>You got your years and locations mixed up. The people of Jonestown perished in 1978 NOT 1987.
Thanks Punkazz! I was thinking that perhaps the "Jonestown" experience was behind some of Reader's thinking but I was incorrect.

Location hidden

#58 Nov 20, 2012
Oliver Twist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Punkazz! I was thinking that perhaps the "Jonestown" experience was behind some of Reader's thinking but I was incorrect.
There have been a couple of news documentaries recently on the subject of Jonestown. There were a few survivors. They have all had difficult lives since then--for a long time keeping their association hidden. A few were just children at the time, a couple were young adults who followed as pretty idealistic believers.

Knowing the mood of the times, it is not hard to see how the conditions were ripe for following Jones. The things that he seemed to offer: an interracial community that took care of children and the elderly, a rejection of materialism and godless wars. Jones was apparently addicted to some kinds of drug uses--possibly accounting for his paranoia and mania.

The few survivors have not had easy lives since escaping. A few were just children, others lost their entire families and all of their friends. In addition to their grief they had to deal with the identification of having been there. Escape through drugs has been a pretty common theme among them, although those still living seem to have all arrived at recovery.

What struck me most was that even though they carry a nearly universal mistrust of churches, they almost all also maintain a belief in and relationship to God.

So--if you want to suggest that I have some thinking in common with them, well, I guess I accept that as a compliment.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#59 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been a couple of news documentaries recently on the subject of Jonestown. There were a few survivors. They have all had difficult lives since then--for a long time keeping their association hidden. A few were just children at the time, a couple were young adults who followed as pretty idealistic believers.
Knowing the mood of the times, it is not hard to see how the conditions were ripe for following Jones. The things that he seemed to offer: an interracial community that took care of children and the elderly, a rejection of materialism and godless wars. Jones was apparently addicted to some kinds of drug uses--possibly accounting for his paranoia and mania.
The few survivors have not had easy lives since escaping. A few were just children, others lost their entire families and all of their friends. In addition to their grief they had to deal with the identification of having been there. Escape through drugs has been a pretty common theme among them, although those still living seem to have all arrived at recovery.
What struck me most was that even though they carry a nearly universal mistrust of churches, they almost all also maintain a belief in and relationship to God.
So--if you want to suggest that I have some thinking in common with them, well, I guess I accept that as a compliment.
I believe she was referencing your personal taste for mandated Kool-Aid.

Location hidden

#60 Nov 20, 2012
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe she was referencing your personal taste for mandated Kool-Aid.
Yeah, whatever.

I guess you find that amusing.
notlocal

AOL

#61 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
Sure you did.
notlocal

AOL

#62 Nov 20, 2012
6was9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both of whom were democrats LMAO......
Touche' I am so sick and tired of being called a racist and some in today's society thinking we still owe something to descendents of slaves. Anybody brings up either, they've lost me.
notlocal

AOL

#63 Nov 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing the mood of the times, it is not hard to see how the conditions were ripe for following Jones..
The mood of the time? In 1978? What was so horrible in 1978 as opposed to many other times in American history?

They followed Jones because they wanted an easier life with no responsibility and, in most cases, were running away from something.

He's not the first or the last that has lead followers to mass suicide. The only tragedy is taking children along.

Sheep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio State Never Disappoints 🌴 👙... 6 min Reality Speaks 2
Should the GOP cut its loses? 23 min Pam 1,057
trumps a disgrace 25 min Reality Speaks 9
Trump will win, wait and see just watch 25 min h Hummertime ... 15
Trump the Liar 26 min Reality Speaks 980
Trump's Wall 30 min Reality Speaks 61
Colin Kaepernick continues to sit through US na... 1 hr Reality Speaks 60

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance