New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04...

The United States is the fattest country in the world -- and I'm not talking about our wallets, folks! According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a disheartening 35.7% of the population is considered obese. That's considerably higher than the next closest countries, Mexico, New Zealand, and Australia, which have obesity rates ranging between 25% and 30%.

A huge, but largely preventable, problem
The sad part about obesity is that it's preventable more often than not. Medical costs associated with obesity were estimated by the CDC in 2008 at $147 billion annually, with obese people, on average, registering a cost premium of $1,429 as compared to someone of average weight. Obesity also brings on higher risks of hypertension, heart disease, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancers.

And it isn't just that being overweight has been shown to be poor for your long-term health; it's that society has surrounded itself in a cocoon that frowns upon obesity from the magazines we read, to the commercials we watch, and the movies we see on the big screen. The push toward creating a healthier lifestyle has begun in our homes with the way we eat, exercise, and live our lives. Unfortunately, as the following U.S. obesity map shows, it's not been nearly enough.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Oliver Canterberry wrote:
http://www.fool.com/investing/ general/2013/04/15/americas-hi dden-obesity-epidemic.aspx
The United States is the fattest country in the world -- and I'm not talking about our wallets, folks! According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a disheartening 35.7% of the population is considered obese. That's considerably higher than the next closest countries, Mexico, New Zealand, and Australia, which have obesity rates ranging between 25% and 30%.
A huge, but largely preventable, problem
The sad part about obesity is that it's preventable more often than not. Medical costs associated with obesity were estimated by the CDC in 2008 at $147 billion annually, with obese people, on average, registering a cost premium of $1,429 as compared to someone of average weight. Obesity also brings on higher risks of hypertension, heart disease, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancers.
And it isn't just that being overweight has been shown to be poor for your long-term health; it's that society has surrounded itself in a cocoon that frowns upon obesity from the magazines we read, to the commercials we watch, and the movies we see on the big screen. The push toward creating a healthier lifestyle has begun in our homes with the way we eat, exercise, and live our lives. Unfortunately, as the following U.S. obesity map shows, it's not been nearly enough.
Yep. Glittersucks, RD, LD
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Glittersucks, RD, LD
So why when someone has a benign t umor it is surgically removed yet when some has a essentially a tumor aka fat roll they are told to exercise and eat less even though removal would have imediate positive changes in things like blood pressure and blood sugar?

I ask this from an engineer view point.
Spook PE PS

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
So why when someone has a benign t umor it is surgically removed yet when some has a essentially a tumor aka fat roll they are told to exercise and eat less even though removal would have imediate positive changes in things like blood pressure and blood sugar?
I ask this from an engineer view point.
Spook PE PS
Do you really want me to go on a Reader type diatribe? Bottom line, you can amend the structure, but that doesn't make it sound.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really want me to go on a Reader type diatribe? Bottom line, you can amend the structure, but that doesn't make it sound.
Not the same. More like say a down spot is pluged and I say remove the blockage but the fat farm industry say cover up the opening and hope it doesn't rain much.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Not the same. More like say a down spot is pluged and I say remove the blockage but the fat farm industry say cover up the opening and hope it doesn't rain much.
Disagree. Not in the mood to flex my RD muscle, but I will.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Disagree. Not in the mood to flex my RD muscle, but I will.
While they need to stop shoving food in like they are stoking a coal furnce the fat rolls can be cut off resulting in immediate improvement in stress on organs etc.

Nothing more disgusting than a fatso with a few lard.ass kids running around a restaurant to ruin an evening.

Saw that Mass. State police colonel on the tv this morning. His fat ass would be running along the freeway untill lost those hog jowls or be out of a job if I were in charge.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
While they need to stop shoving food in like they are stoking a coal furnce the fat rolls can be cut off resulting in immediate improvement in stress on organs etc.
That is true. However, there are ways around any surgery. I have a friend that had lapband surgery, lost a shet ton of weight, going out to lunch with her is a nightmare; plan on three plus hours as she will not secede from the clean plate club. She had lipo so that she could wear shorts, I have yet to see her in shorts. Bottom line, over $10,000 spent and results...she is still overweight.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>That is true. However, there are ways around any surgery. I have a friend that had lapband surgery, lost a shet ton of weight, going out to lunch with her is a nightmare; plan on three plus hours as she will not secede from the clean plate club. She had lipo so that she could wear shorts, I have yet to see her in shorts. Bottom line, over $10,000 spent and results...she is still overweight.
I wasn't talking the lap band. I mean opening them up and cutting out.the large fat deposits.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>That is true. However, there are ways around any surgery. I have a friend that had lapband surgery, lost a shet ton of weight, going out to lunch with her is a nightmare; plan on three plus hours as she will not secede from the clean plate club. She had lipo so that she could wear shorts, I have yet to see her in shorts. Bottom line, over $10,000 spent and results...she is still overweight.
I have an aquaintance who was well into the 300+ weight range. She had lap band surgery and excess skin removal. I personally can't see that it helped her much. She still eats like a horse and doesn't look a lot different. Most of her relatives are on the large side. Some of this has to be a hereditary condition.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an aquaintance who was well into the 300+ weight range. She had lap band surgery and excess skin removal. I personally can't see that it helped her much. She still eats like a horse and doesn't look a lot different. Most of her relatives are on the large side. Some of this has to be a hereditary condition.
Nope. Disagree with your last sentence. You choose what you put in your mouth. Peeps, have fun with my last sentence.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Disagree with your last sentence. You choose what you put in your mouth. Peeps, have fun with my last sentence.
Then back to my orginal premise. If surgery is never warranted why have large.benign fast.growing large tumors removed? Could they just eat less? Try to find it but not that long ago a woman had a tumor that was preventing her from breathing properly it was about 40 pounds and grew in less than a year. So instead of cutting it out she should have stopped eating?
hhey now

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Er, something is not adding up. If the people are so big, then how can the problem be hidden? Think about it: you're in line at the grocery store and three welfare queens are pushing carts stuffed to the gunwales and you say, "Damn those are three really fat fuqs." You wouldn't be able to see and say that if the problem were hidden.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

hhey now wrote:
Er, something is not adding up. If the people are so big, then how can the problem be hidden? Think about it: you're in line at the grocery store and three welfare queens are pushing carts stuffed to the gunwales and you say, "Damn those are three really fat fuqs." You wouldn't be able to see and say that if the problem were hidden.
Good point.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Disagree with your last sentence. You choose what you put in your mouth. Peeps, have fun with my last sentence.
I dunno what to say. Is there such a thing as hereditary eating disorders? As I said before, the whole family is, errrr, big.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

<quoted text>
Then back to my orginal premise. If surgery is never warranted why have large.benign fast.growing large tumors removed? Could they just eat less? Try to find it but not that long ago a woman had a tumor that was preventing her from breathing properly it was about 40 pounds and grew in less than a year. So instead of cutting it out she should have stopped eating?
You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking generally as to the state of the obesity epidemic; there are plenty of reasons and/or excuses as to why people are fat. Yes, medications, tumors, thyroid issues, etc. can cause weight change. That is a small percentage compared to the number of people are just fat because they don't know when to put down the fork or say no to dessert.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno what to say. Is there such a thing as hereditary eating disorders? As I said before, the whole family is, errrr, big.
Not discounting heredity. I'm 64" guessing 100#, haven't weighed myself in years; hubby 67" and 145#; my son 72" and 200#, clinical speaking mildly obese. Hubby's side of the family are monsters, I mean that lovingly, but when his female cousins wear size 14 male tennis shoes...my son obviously got those genes. I don't buy the excuse, personally and professionally, that I'm 300# because it's genetic.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking generally as to the state of the obesity epidemic; there are plenty of reasons and/or excuses as to why people are fat. Yes, medications, tumors, thyroid issues, etc. can cause weight change. That is a small percentage compared to the number of people are just fat because they don't know when to put down the fork or say no to dessert.
Not disagreeing on the cause and the long term change required, just with the severely fat and reduction of their size.

Makes me think of seeing one of those hogs on biggest loser. She suposedly lost over 100 pounds yet from the pictures breasts smaller gut smaller but still had a car tire sized neck and could not fit through normal house sized doors without grease and someone to help push. She could benefit from surgery as well as the habit changes.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Obviously, the person that judged me disagree is a heifer and is upset that I ruined their excuse. Make sure you dry your abdominal folds and other flabby places so you don't get a yeast infection. No charge for that medical advice.

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

<quoted text>
Not disagreeing on the cause and the long term change required, just with the severely fat and reduction of their size.
Makes me think of seeing one of those hogs on biggest loser. She suposedly lost over 100 pounds yet from the pictures breasts smaller gut smaller but still had a car tire sized neck and could not fit through normal house sized doors without grease and someone to help push. She could benefit from surgery as well as the habit changes.
We agree spooky just different ways of expressing our thoughts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WHY Does America Hate Obama so much? 15 min Ugly ugly 4
WHO is Uglier? 17 min Ugly ugly 7
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr scirocco 3,114
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,236
ISIS beheads James Foley 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 90
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 3 hr Pam 226
Debate: Ferguson - Columbus, OH 3 hr Pam 67

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••