Gun Control Under Obama
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#8399 Apr 18, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we can try to move the conversation forward a bit. The big issue that I'm seeing with your argument that the drugs are the cause of gun violence, rather than the proliferation of guns or a combination of the two is that you're looking at a single sample in the US where both factors are present. If it is true, as you claim, that the drugs are the real source of the violence, what prevents countries with higher rates of drug use than the US from experiencing rates of violence anywhere approaching that of the US? I chose Portugal as an example as their drug policy is one of the longest running and they have a moderate gun control policy. If you prefer, you could look at any country with a higher or similar drug rate and effective gun control to contrast.
Whilst a Google search is great start, I would love to move into a harder statistical look, rather than anecdotes, if that's possible? I'm happy to explain in a bit more detail how search processes work, but for the moment can assure you that the number of search results don't correlate to effective statistical markers in most casual uses.
Asking yourself big, simple critical thinking questions about your claims should give you all the research questions you need. If you're claiming that gun violence is drug-fuelled, then ask questions like: What is the rate of gun violence in x? What is the rate of drug use in x? Are there statistics on the rate of drug involved gun violence in x? What is it? What are the numbers in y? What is different about y?
To dumb this down a bit, I'm asking: if it's the drugs and not the guns that cause violence, why aren't we seeing this violence in places with more drugs and fewer guns?
You think and talk too much. You could have boiled it down to two simple words:

Thanks Obama.

woof

“The One! The Only! RUKiddingme”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey, Baby!

#8400 Apr 18, 2014
LISTEN ALL YOU LAW-ABIDING COLUMBUSITES!!! I've got a gun and I want all your twinkies and chocolate chip cookies! And NACHOS! Oh, wait dude, is that pizza?? PIZZA TOO, DAMMIT!

GIVE IT TO ME NOW OR YOU'RE ALL DEAD!!!

Yeah, I hate it when roving bands of potheads terrorize the cul-de-sac.
They cannot kill a Spook

Akron, OH

#8401 Apr 18, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dead on trans. I am an A ss hole.
yep
Real Tea Party

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8402 Apr 18, 2014
I need guns to protect my cattles, I plan to graze them on Sharon Woods park and use that public land and to grass to feed them. Then I will stop paying taxes because I'm a patriot I do not believe in the Constitution nor the Feds.
Pale Rider

AOL

#8403 Apr 18, 2014
Real Tea Party wrote:
Thanks Obama for taking steps to take our guns away, I've been waiting for six year when are you going to do that for real???
He will do that as soon as you leave for good.
Real Tea Party

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8404 Apr 18, 2014
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
He will do that as soon as you leave for good.
He only has two years left, I have to outlast him!
Pale Rider

AOL

#8405 Apr 18, 2014
Real Tea Party wrote:
I need guns to protect my cattles, I plan to graze them on Sharon Woods park and use that public land and to grass to feed them. Then I will stop paying taxes because I'm a patriot I do not believe in the Constitution nor the Feds.
Have you given any thought to grazing on the White House Lawn?
Real Tea Party

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8406 Apr 19, 2014
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you given any thought to grazing on the White House Lawn?
I did! But the filthy muslim leftist occupier has corrupted the soil and the grass are not editable to my white cattle :) what an anti white racism happening since 1642!
Female

Chillicothe, OH

#8407 Apr 19, 2014
Having a gun in the house doesn't make women safer -- in fact, studies have shown that domestic violence involving guns is significantly more likely to result in women dying.
Very few women successfully use guns to defend themselves against domestic violence attacks. One study found that more than 70 percent of women at battered women's shelters had been attacked or threatened with a gun by their intimate partner. Only 7 percent had used a gun successfully in self-defense. As The Atlantic noted:
[N]ot a single study to date has shown that the risk of any crime including burglary, robbery, home invasion, or spousal abuse against a female is decreased through gun ownership.
In fact, research from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, one of the groups joining Everytown, found that the presence of a firearm in a domestic violence situation increased the risk of homicide by 500 percent for women. A September 2013 Violence Policy Center study called "When Men Murder Women" found that women were more than three times more likely to be murdered when there was a gun in their household, even when domestic abuse wasn't a factor. Black women are two and a half times more likely to be murdered by a gun than white women, and a majority are killed by intimate partners. In fact, "More than twice as many women are killed with a gun used by their husbands or intimate acquaintances than are murdered by strangers using guns, knives, or any other means," according to a study published in the Journal of Trauma by the RAND Institute of Health.
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/23180-guns...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8408 Apr 19, 2014
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't about guns. This is a story about an old rancher that has been using either State Land or my guess both State and Federal Land to graze his hundred's of cattle on for nearly 30 years. No COST, a damn moocher. Wouldn't you love to have a place all FREE of CHARGE to graze a huge herd of cattle on? After a gravy train of who knows, maybe 40 years, the government says you need to pay up, what would you do? Make it look like you are Mr. Nice Guy, the Big Government is taking my grazing rights.
Do any of you city slickers have any idea what 900 cattle would bring in a year? Beef is $5.27 Lb. average at the store. How much is this old cry baby moocher getting off the tax payers every year? How much would he take in a year from FEEDER CATTLE sales? No wonder he is crying, I would too, if someone wanted to take away my FREE pasture for my cattle. We should demand he pay up, instead of a FREE PASS. It is no different than the man that owes taxes and will not pay. How much would 900 head of cattle bring in a year?$500,000 a year? More? He isn't broke that is for sure. It really doesn't matter who owns the land, it doesn't cost this old moocher one dime for his cattle to graze on.
I have read and heard on the news conflicting stories so I am not too sure if its Federal or State Land but if is State Land, the Federal Government is overstepping its bounds because it has nothing to do with the US Federal Government.
Pale Rider

AOL

#8409 Apr 19, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I have read and heard on the news conflicting stories so I am not too sure if its Federal or State Land but if is State Land, the Federal Government is overstepping its bounds because it has nothing to do with the US Federal Government.
The last account I read, the Government had backed away from the old Rancher. So I guess the cattle can graze all they want.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#8410 Apr 20, 2014
Female wrote:
Having a gun in the house doesn't make women safer -- in fact, studies have shown that domestic violence involving guns is significantly more likely to result in women dying.
Very few women successfully use guns to defend themselves against domestic violence attacks. One study found that more than 70 percent of women at battered women's shelters had been attacked or threatened with a gun by their intimate partner. Only 7 percent had used a gun successfully in self-defense. As The Atlantic noted:
[N]ot a single study to date has shown that the risk of any crime including burglary, robbery, home invasion, or spousal abuse against a female is decreased through gun ownership.
In fact, research from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, one of the groups joining Everytown, found that the presence of a firearm in a domestic violence situation increased the risk of homicide by 500 percent for women. A September 2013 Violence Policy Center study called "When Men Murder Women" found that women were more than three times more likely to be murdered when there was a gun in their household, even when domestic abuse wasn't a factor. Black women are two and a half times more likely to be murdered by a gun than white women, and a majority are killed by intimate partners. In fact, "More than twice as many women are killed with a gun used by their husbands or intimate acquaintances than are murdered by strangers using guns, knives, or any other means," according to a study published in the Journal of Trauma by the RAND Institute of Health.
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/23180-guns...
You probably know a thing or two about domestic violence.

Location hidden

#8411 Apr 20, 2014
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
The last account I read, the Government had backed away from the old Rancher. So I guess the cattle can graze all they want.
That is what I read too and he got his cattle back too.
Pimpernile

Mason, OH

#8412 Apr 20, 2014
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably know a thing or two about domestic violence.
You can probably guess that poisoning is her preferred choice of curing domestic violence.

Poison can be effective. A police SWAT tactical takedown home invasion she might consider as good too. Burning beds and dick amputations are on the domestic rise I've heard.
Real Tea Party

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8413 Apr 22, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I have read and heard on the news conflicting stories so I am not too sure if its Federal or State Land but if is State Land, the Federal Government is overstepping its bounds because it has nothing to do with the US Federal Government.
State certainly has right but it has to be right that is not specified by the constitution belong to the Federal. Something like speed limits, license plates. But if fed can't decide they own the land that means America does not own it, it's like we only pay state income tax but not federal income tax.

Location hidden

#8414 Apr 22, 2014
Real Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
State certainly has right but it has to be right that is not specified by the constitution belong to the Federal. Something like speed limits, license plates. But if fed can't decide they own the land that means America does not own it, it's like we only pay state income tax but not federal income tax.
If it is not a Federal Enclave which most all Federal Property is considered then the Federal Government has no say especially in the states but if is considered a Federal Enclave then it falls under Federal Jurisdiction.

Federal enclave

In United States law, a "federal enclave" is a parcel of federal property within a state that is under the "Special Maritime and Territorial Jurisdiction of the United States." As of 1960, the latest comprehensive inquiry, only seven percent of federal property had enclave status, of which four percent (almost all in Alaska and Hawaii) was under "concurrent" state jurisdiction. The remaining three percent, on which some State laws do not apply, is scattered almost at random throughout the United States. In 1960, there were about 5,000 enclaves, with about one million people living on them. These numbers would undoubtedly be lower today because many of these areas were military bases that have been closed and transferred out of federal ownership.

Since late 1950s, it has been an official federal policy that the states should have full concurrent jurisdiction on all federal enclaves, an approach endorsed by legal experts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_enclave
Pale Rider

AOL

#8415 May 2, 2014
Is it time to rewrite the Second Admendment?

Did you know?

This old Amendment is outdated. It was written in 1791. Today with the looney people on the Right that can't even interpret this law. A law that was influenced by the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

The forefathers had no idea men someday would develop weapons for the Army that gun manufactures would profit from gun sales to its citizens.

The forefathers had no idea those weapons could fire hundreds of rounds per second. Guns intended for our military use, would wind up in the hands of citizens to be used as killing machines.

In other words, we remember those bank robbers in California, that had more firepower than the Police. What we are seeing today, is some wacky people that want to take the law into their own hands, The law has to back off, rather get killed or be accused of killing.

We just read about the old crook Republican in Nevada, that refused to pay up for grazing his cattle on Federal or State Land, a Freeloader with a private militia of loonie tunes like we see in Reality Speaks on Columbus Topix. Can you imagine what it would be like facing a fool like that?
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#8416 May 2, 2014
Gun control is as dead as those 4 American's that were killed in Benghaze while Hillary and Oblamo did nothing despite repeated warnings.

Gun control is as dead as the Oblamo Presidency.

However, there is a better chance of gun control than Wide Ass Rider ever attracting a man whose heart is still beating.
Pale Rider

AOL

#8417 May 2, 2014
Neutral Party wrote:
Gun control is as dead as those 4 American's that were killed in Benghaze while Hillary and Oblamo did nothing despite repeated warnings.
Gun control is as dead as the Oblamo Presidency.
However, there is a better chance of gun control than Wide Ass Rider ever attracting a man whose heart is still beating.
All Neutral can do is repeat the same old thing over and over.

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing!

How many were killed when George W. Bush was President, or as some called him the U.S. Dictator?
Pale Rider

Liberty, KY

#8418 May 3, 2014
Why does America tolerate a law that was written hundreds of years ago, that the Highest Court cannot all agree on how to interpret?

Remember all those years the TOBACCO LOBBISTS with their money pouring into congress, telling America tobacco smokers. There is no no scientific evidence or proof that smoking is dangerous to your health? Remember those days? How many years did that take for the people to get the truth?

What will it take to break the will of the people, their need for guns? First there are those that need the NRA money to get reelected. Just like those that needed money from tobacco farmers, tobacco companies to get elected, and reelected.

Every time there is a mass killing, it fuels the need to buy more arms. Gun manufactures produce more guns to fill the orders generated. More guns, more ammunition. Then this cry goes up the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms. It is like a mass killing is coming to their home the next day, I need to protect my family.

Did You Know?

The number of guns produced by U.S. firearms makers in 2012, up 31 percent from 6.54 million in 2011. Think of that 31% more in 2012 verses 2011. It has to be fueled by the cry of the NRA. By those that think they need to protect themselves.

What about the many families that are effected by guns used in a killing? Everyday? Every year? Does America need firearms that can fire hundreds of rounds for personal use?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-doctor shot in home invasion dies 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1
News Ex-doctor charged in pill mill scheme dies afte... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Military Coup Has Seized Control of America's M... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 3 hr Mojo Risen 234
A taste of their own 3 hr They cannot kill ... 266
Russia Investigation 4 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 19
Health Care/The Wall 5 hr Male 106

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages