“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7427 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
I've stated multiple times a shyster poster employed an appeal-to-authority logic fallacy argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_au...
You have a short attention span.
Could you highlight, repeat or paraphrase the fallacy you see being repeated. I've seen a wide range of opinions, comments and arguments that you've all responded to with "logic[al] fallacy".

I'm wondering, gently and with sympathy, if you haven't recently learned of the concept and are attempting to use it as a framework through which to interpret all things you disagree with. It's a great framework through which to filter arguments to check for specific issues but not a catchall response to things you disagree with. If you're interested in learning some further tools, labels and concepts through which to process arguments, I would be delighted to help you build or source a reading list.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#7428 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
I cut the grass and do more honest work than you ever do at shysters-are-us:
http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/20...
Mount Everest is the highest mountain on Earth.
Ole Blue

Dayton, OH

#7429 Nov 7, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you highlight, repeat or paraphrase the fallacy you see being repeated. I've seen a wide range of opinions, comments and arguments that you've all responded to with "logic[al] fallacy".
I'm wondering, gently and with sympathy, if you haven't recently learned of the concept and are attempting to use it as a framework through which to interpret all things you disagree with. It's a great framework through which to filter arguments to check for specific issues but not a catchall response to things you disagree with. If you're interested in learning some further tools, labels and concepts through which to process arguments, I would be delighted to help you build or source a reading list.
I've claimed the Dukie person to have employed an appeal-to-authority argument. For no one else have I made this claim; that includes you.

The authority the shyster appeals to is unnamed self-appointed constitutional lawyer professors in unnamed universities. The shyster doesn't bother to quote any professors because it is too lazy or embarrassed to do so.

The false premise the shyster presumes as true is that no one but lawyers can understand plain english, and that the language in the constitution is esoteric. That idea is false and idiotic. The constitution was written by non-lawyers, and designed for easy comprehension. The shyster has implied that comprehending plain language requires special knowledge that only a prat in university could understand; a very stupid, if not insane idea.

Now that you have the short story, don't revert to your grammar nazi or writing style criticisms, because it makes you appear extraordinarily vapid.

Here is again the definition of a argument or appeal to authority logic fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_author...

Read it first, and try to comprehend it.

Your condescending posts here are really silly, irony as you say, although I understand why you do it.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#7430 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
I've claimed the Dukie person to have employed an appeal-to-authority argument. For no one else have I made this claim; that includes you.
The authority the shyster appeals to is unnamed self-appointed constitutional lawyer professors in unnamed universities. The shyster doesn't bother to quote any professors because it is too lazy or embarrassed to do so.
The false premise the shyster presumes as true is that no one but lawyers can understand plain english, and that the language in the constitution is esoteric. That idea is false and idiotic. The constitution was written by non-lawyers, and designed for easy comprehension. The shyster has implied that comprehending plain language requires special knowledge that only a prat in university could understand; a very stupid, if not insane idea.
Now that you have the short story, don't revert to your grammar nazi or writing style criticisms, because it makes you appear extraordinarily vapid.
Here is again the definition of a argument or appeal to authority logic fallacy:
Your condescending posts here are really silly, irony as you say, although I understand why you do it.
Several quick points:

Duke seemed to make a range of arguments about why professional interpretation of legal language was useful. While his initial argument would easily qualify as an appeal to authority, I rather read it as ironic device.

The idea that the constitution was written by non-lawyers is false. The White House archives list 34 of the 55 members of the constitutional convention having had a legal education or having worked as practicing lawyers.

So far as "Your condescending posts here are really silly, irony as you say, although I understand why you do it.":

The way you present yourself through language makes an impact in how people perceive your argument. As you expand your education through reading and written exchange, making an effort to communicate your increasingly well informed thoughts can only help. In that spirit, I would suggest that irony wouldn't make sense in the above sentence. Ironic would fit grammatically, though still wouldn't mean what I imagine you're hoping to say.

I don't mean to be condescending. I'm openly and honestly offering help. A good education, anyone can have one of those. You seem to have the genuine interest in engaging in challenging discourse. I would love to help you continue to develop your skills in this arena.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#7431 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
Second amendment is exclusively a restriction on fedgov. The 14th amendment extends the restriction to the stategovs.
The 2nd amendment places no restrictions on localgov, the peoples government.
Local governments exist at the pleasure of, and according to the rules put in place by, state governments. So they are arms of state governments for constitutional purposes.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7432 Nov 7, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Mount Everest is the highest mountain on Earth.
and Morgan Freeman's ashes are in a chock full of nuts can next to Jack Nicholson's at the peak.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#7433 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
A masters degree in a non-science discipline doesn't demonstrate intelligence or wisdom or trustworthiness. It only indicates an ability to parrot blowhards.
You are very delusional.
There is no objective science behind lawyering. Just word games and emotions (aka blowhards).
The 14th amendment says what it says, mentioning only state prohibitions as I've demonstrated with quotation, but people like you ignore the obvious. You have a vested interest in denying the obvious.
You persist repeating your lame logic fallacy.
You really do not read very well.

There are hundreds of thousands of people with bar cards that have professional backgrounds in the sciences.

You wanna talk about lame logic fallacy, I suggest you buy one of those reflectometer gadget thingamabobs at the dollar store and initiate a conversation with the guy you see lookin at ya.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#7434 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
A masters degree in a non-science discipline doesn't demonstrate intelligence or wisdom or trustworthiness. It only indicates an ability to parrot blowhards.
You are very delusional.
There is no objective science behind lawyering. Just word games and emotions (aka blowhards).
The 14th amendment says what it says, mentioning only state prohibitions as I've demonstrated with quotation, but people like you ignore the obvious. You have a vested interest in denying the obvious.
You persist repeating your lame logic fallacy.
Just for fun, because I love fun, I would like you tell me your thoughts on this grouping of words:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2905.05

Take your time.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#7435 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
I cut the grass and do more honest work than you ever do at shysters-are-us:
http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/20...
Can ya stop by and mow?

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#7436 Nov 7, 2013
Ole Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be mistaken about a few things. First, you need to look a little deeper into the occupations of those who drafted the US Constitution, as well as the fifty other ones belonging to the states.

Second, if you're theory is correct, I invite you to place yourself into a small peck o trouble that necessitates your representing yourself in a criminal or civil matter in Court involving Constitutional rights...perhaps a questionable traffic stop would be a good start, but make sure the charge is something carrying serious consequences...maybe get really drunk, ride around at 4 in the morning in a suspicious manner, maybe back and forth in front of the police station all night long, but make sure you break no other traffic laws other than the DUI.

Then, after you are arrested, arraigned, and ready to go to it, prepare for and argue that 4th Amendment defense in the motion to suppress hearing yourself.

Oh, by the way, I really don't hang with any Con Law professors. Not sure where ya got that idea.

woof

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7437 Nov 7, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
If by farming you mean collecting government subsidies, you should be all set.
Michele Bachmann & her Husband are and a known fact.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#7438 Nov 8, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be mistaken about a few things. First, you need to look a little deeper into the occupations of those who drafted the US Constitution, as well as the fifty other ones belonging to the states.
Second, if you're theory is correct, I invite you to place yourself into a small peck o trouble that necessitates your representing yourself in a criminal or civil matter in Court involving Constitutional rights...perhaps a questionable traffic stop would be a good start, but make sure the charge is something carrying serious consequences...maybe get really drunk, ride around at 4 in the morning in a suspicious manner, maybe back and forth in front of the police station all night long, but make sure you break no other traffic laws other than the DUI.
Then, after you are arrested, arraigned, and ready to go to it, prepare for and argue that 4th Amendment defense in the motion to suppress hearing yourself.
Oh, by the way, I really don't hang with any Con Law professors. Not sure where ya got that idea.
woof
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who delights, wrigglingly, when sov cits actually hit court with their arguments. Somehow their documentation/how tos online make me a bit sad, with folks getting bad advice, but people dumb enough to act on the bad advice delights me.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7439 Nov 8, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
woof
You sure are full of yourself.

I represented myself in court when ex wife wanted more alimony.

I made her lawyer look so foolish the magistrate stopped me, cut my alimony from $2000 a month to $1000 with no chance to end early or renegotiations.

I was not allowed to go after her attorney incompetence and bill her $500 an hour for my time.

You don't need to argue when you are smarter than the attorney or defendant. You can tell them, and instruct the judge.

Only lawyers full of themselves think they are the only ones who can stand and win before a judge.

My ex also filed assault charges I was arrested for and jailed. I was out in 24 hours and compensated by state for false arrest, and in court asked the sheriff to drop his gun belt and show me how tough he was again right in from of judge and attorney.

Charges were dropped, and my record scrubbed. I even checked with the FBI.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7440 Nov 8, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who delights, wrigglingly, when sov cits actually hit court with their arguments. Somehow their documentation/how tos online make me a bit sad, with folks getting bad advice, but people dumb enough to act on the bad advice delights me.
worst business decisions ever, come from attorneys.

they only think they know, and have a card that says they do.

why is it only half the population of attorneys ever break 6 figures in annual pay?

A divorce lawyer in Columbus ought make 500K a year fairly easy

Che & Duke must really suck earning 50K a year in the slum of summit county.

A salesperson who does not earn 6 figures is still in training and worthless to most companies.
Pale Rider

AOL

#7442 Nov 12, 2013
How many more mass killings before the Republicans see their folly?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#7443 Nov 12, 2013
Americans 34 times more interested in buying guns than Obamacare...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-12/amer...
Female

Chillicothe, OH

#7444 Nov 13, 2013
The Constitution is being used as a ploy by the Tea Party to feed on peoples fears. It is very clear that they don't like people of color, so this would give them a reason to shoot first and ask questions later. It doesn't even sound reasonable to have more guns. More guns more killing. You take away the source. Less guns, less killings with a gun. If you keep the wrong foods in your refrig you will eat them. If you don't store them or have them around, you won't. It lessens your chances, that is common sense. Of course the NRA want to sell more guns. It is all about money and they don't care about who gets killed. Children being killed, shameful. Of course the people on here don't care about other people's lives only themselves. A bunch of non caring people with a lot of issues. A collection of idiots posting their garbage they can't see beyond themselves. You can't compromise with any one on here, they are not capable because of their close mindedness. I must say they are out of touch with reality.
Female

Chillicothe, OH

#7445 Nov 13, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure are full of yourself.
I represented myself in court when ex wife wanted more alimony.
I made her lawyer look so foolish the magistrate stopped me, cut my alimony from $2000 a month to $1000 with no chance to end early or renegotiations.
I was not allowed to go after her attorney incompetence and bill her $500 an hour for my time.
You don't need to argue when you are smarter than the attorney or defendant. You can tell them, and instruct the judge.
Only lawyers full of themselves think they are the only ones who can stand and win before a judge.
My ex also filed assault charges I was arrested for and jailed. I was out in 24 hours and compensated by state for false arrest, and in court asked the sheriff to drop his gun belt and show me how tough he was again right in from of judge and attorney.
Charges were dropped, and my record scrubbed. I even checked with the FBI.
Now we know why you don't like women, because of your ex. You are just a bitter man taking it out on all women. I'm sure she is better off being away from you, probably much happier too.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7446 Nov 14, 2013
Pale Rider wrote:
How many more mass killings before the Republicans see their folly?
the Republicans are killing obamacare, and aborting the commies that forced it upon us.
Pale Rider

AOL

#7449 Nov 17, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
the Republicans are killing obamacare, and aborting the commies that forced it upon us.
Why don't you leave America you simple fool!

You have to be one of the dumbest on Columbus Topix, along with SL. She is not a whole lot better than you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 30 min xxxrayted 31,462
Should Reynoldsburg superintendent Tina-Thomas ... 38 min They cannot kill ... 7
7mo prego couple seeking bi girl. 1 hr sidekick 6
These Are The Religious Denominations That (Fin... 1 hr RevKen 5
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Wait what 3,536
Lobbyist pleads guilty to federal corruption ch... (Dec '13) 4 hr Bama Yankee 23
Connecticut: Democrat arrested Voter Fraud 4 hr -The-Artist- 5
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 8 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 382
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 11 hr Old Timer 951

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]