|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
No you didn't. The link was to the front page of a pro gun website. No numbers whatsoever.
So, how many laws already?

Counted how? The Brady law for example, is one law passed by Congress, but more than 3,000 words long. Brady ended up as several different numbered statutes on the books, and amendments to others. How many laws is that?

It originally required a waiting period, now it's a national background check, and it even regulates airline baggage. Would you call that three "laws"? Are each of the many separate requirements it places on the Attorney General separate "laws"? Attempts to count the various things controlled by "one" law are fruitless -- the law is designed to expand and encompass any case brought before it.

You still want some numbers? OK, let's do some counting. The book that describes the Texas gun laws is nearly 300 pages long. The unabridged federal guide is almost 400.

Most (though not all) of the language in an enacted "law" ends up as numbered and named "sections" or "articles" in law books. By Bloomfield Press' count, Texas had 226 of these numbered gun laws in 2005. Federally, there were 231 numbered statutes in February, 1996, and by 2005 that had grown to 271. Did 40 more federal gun laws in ten years finally outlaw crime? It's almost too silly to ask.

We went from 65,999 words in 1986 to 93,354 words in 2005 on the federal books (we identify and publish all those gun laws so we can word-count them; I don't believe anyone else can do that without a ton of work). Some laws got smaller in word count, but much greater in effect. See for example 18 USC §1114: instead of a long list of federal agents who get special treatment, it now basically says any government employee -- less words, far more impact on society.

Which brings us to the most metrical way of figuring how many laws there are. Texans in 2005 were under at least 49,442 words of state gun law, and 93,354 words of federal gun law -- a total of more than 143,000 words of law. An average novel is around 40,000 words.

So now you have a number. In Texas, you have to follow 143,000 words of law to stay legal, and on the flip side, we have this huge body of rules to use against bad people. What does that do for you? How do you interpret it against the obvious bias -- is that enough words?

Federal gun law in 2005:
93,354 words in 271 numbered statutes

Arizona gun law in 2006:
36,645 words in 183 numbered statutes

Virginia gun law in 2006:
45,494 words in 191 numbered statutes

Texas gun law in 2005:
49,442 words in 226 numbered statutes

California gun law in 1998:
158,643 words in 541 numbered statutes

Florida gun law in 1998:
46,585 words in 229 numbered statutes

http://gunlaws.com/faq.htm#howmany

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Pale Rider wrote:
From Our President:
We might not be able to prevent every massacre or random killing," Obama said "If there is just one thing we can do, one life we can save, then we have an obligation to try."
So True!
Unless you're a poor black person in Chicago.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how many laws already?
Counted how? The Brady law for example, is one law passed by Congress, but more than 3,000 words long. Brady ended up as several different numbered statutes on the books, and amendments to others. How many laws is that?
It originally required a waiting period, now it's a national background check, and it even regulates airline baggage. Would you call that three "laws"? Are each of the many separate requirements it places on the Attorney General separate "laws"? Attempts to count the various things controlled by "one" law are fruitless -- the law is designed to expand and encompass any case brought before it.
You still want some numbers? OK, let's do some counting. The book that describes the Texas gun laws is nearly 300 pages long. The unabridged federal guide is almost 400.
Most (though not all) of the language in an enacted "law" ends up as numbered and named "sections" or "articles" in law books. By Bloomfield Press' count, Texas had 226 of these numbered gun laws in 2005. Federally, there were 231 numbered statutes in February, 1996, and by 2005 that had grown to 271. Did 40 more federal gun laws in ten years finally outlaw crime? It's almost too silly to ask.
We went from 65,999 words in 1986 to 93,354 words in 2005 on the federal books (we identify and publish all those gun laws so we can word-count them; I don't believe anyone else can do that without a ton of work). Some laws got smaller in word count, but much greater in effect. See for example 18 USC §1114: instead of a long list of federal agents who get special treatment, it now basically says any government employee -- less words, far more impact on society.
Which brings us to the most metrical way of figuring how many laws there are. Texans in 2005 were under at least 49,442 words of state gun law, and 93,354 words of federal gun law -- a total of more than 143,000 words of law. An average novel is around 40,000 words.
So now you have a number. In Texas, you have to follow 143,000 words of law to stay legal, and on the flip side, we have this huge body of rules to use against bad people. What does that do for you? How do you interpret it against the obvious bias -- is that enough words?
Federal gun law in 2005:
93,354 words in 271 numbered statutes
Arizona gun law in 2006:
36,645 words in 183 numbered statutes
Virginia gun law in 2006:
45,494 words in 191 numbered statutes
Texas gun law in 2005:
49,442 words in 226 numbered statutes
California gun law in 1998:
158,643 words in 541 numbered statutes
Florida gun law in 1998:
46,585 words in 229 numbered statutes
http://gunlaws.com/faq.htm#howmany
In other words, Walter Mitty's 9000 number was completely made up.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, Walter Mitty's 9000 number was completely made up.
How so? Ever heard of extrapolation?
In the 1960s, your Demonrat masters said there were 20,000 gun laws on the books:

“Consider the fact that we now have on the lawbooks of this nation over 20,000 laws governing the sale, distribution and use of firearms.”

— Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), hearings before the Senate Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency, 1965
Spookhere F trolls

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>How so? Ever heard of extrapolation?
In the 1960s, your Demonrat masters said there were 20,000 gun laws on the books:
“Consider the fact that we now have on the lawbooks of this nation over 20,000 laws governing the sale, distribution and use of firearms.”
— Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), hearings before the Senate Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency, 1965
And not a single one is needed nor moral

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Pale Rider wrote:
Are the people ready to register their guns? By registration, we will know who, and the kind of guns people own.
Why do the police "need" automatic weapons?

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a single link provided supported a claim that there were 9000 gun laws in the US. It doesn't matter how many times you claim otherwise. You repeating your BS 9000 times doesn't make it true.
The proof was provided, you're just too fkn lazy to look at it. I'd bet if someone gave you $9,000, you wouldn't hesitate to count it.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Pale Rider wrote:
From Our President:
We might not be able to prevent every massacre or random killing," Obama said "If there is just one thing we can do, one life we can save, then we have an obligation to try."
So True!
Find another way besides criminalizing or violating the rights of law-abiding citizens.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof was provided, you're just too fkn lazy to look at it. I'd bet if someone gave you $9,000, you wouldn't hesitate to count it.
No proof has been provided whatsoever. You guys have provide links that claim a couple hundred laws and links that claim 20000. All of which proves my point, Walter talks straight out of his ass.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
No proof has been provided whatsoever. You guys have provide links that claim a couple hundred laws and links that claim 20000. All of which proves my point, Walter talks straight out of his ass.
I know man, how will we ever know if we reach the forest with all these trees in the way.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Congressman Dingell (Demonrat, MI) do that?
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I know man, how will we ever know if we reach the forest with all these trees in the way.
What is your point? This whole thing started when I challenged Walter to provide some support for his manufactured number. All the rest of you came comically running to his "rescue." My only intention was to keep showing how full of shit Walter is.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your point? This whole thing started when I challenged Walter to provide some support for his manufactured number. All the rest of you came comically running to his "rescue." My only intention was to keep showing how full of shit Walter is.
Is Congressman Dingell, Demonrat, full of sh!t?
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess my point, other then abstract humor, would be that you are ignoring the big picture over the insignificant small things. Nothing he said was untrue even if the number was incorrect or correct. It makes no difference. It seems you are fixated on the man and not the message the man brought to the table.

Anyways, it was more in humor then anything. You make me laugh quite a bit when you post and I was just going with the flow.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What in hell is your fkn problem? The 20,000 was an old number from the 70s, before many states started asserting their preemptive rights. The over 9,000 are all in the PDF file you were provided from a government source: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/at...

You're just too lazy to look.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

correction: from the 60s

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>It's the fault of the federal government, and to a lesser degree the Mexican government.
Blaming an entity to control your fate is a cop out.

Be a man.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>So the sainted illegal is the harder worker? Maybe you need to look at the unemployment rate for your people.
You should pay attention more to your people. That's the people bitching and whining about "They took our jobs!!!"

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>So that's your response when confronted with examples of succesfull, conservative black men...
Yeah, you're a college graduate...sure.
Again, care I little for what you believe.

You're a redneck and have a redneck mentality.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you know what an answer is? I was waiting for one on this too and it seems you failed to provide it, unless you failed to provide and intelligent and articulate one. Either way, it seems you are lying.
Again, sounds like YOUR problem if you don't like my answer...Don't ask me. Simple enough, eh soldier?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE