Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#4283 Feb 9, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>just so you know, I used to charge $30 an hour to mow lawns back in 1983 as a teenager. Outside of a couple old widows on fixed income that I more or less mowed for free but let them pay me the $1.00-$1.50 wage they insisted was necessary (plus free cookies around holidays :)), I would average between $10 and $15 a normal yard in town. I had a couple commercial lots that took an hour or two to do and I received the full $30 and $60 respectively.
I would be surprised if it doesn't cost more now. Especially since child labor laws pretty much make it illegal to do this now and the cost of fuel and equipment is more then double.
in 1983 I graduated college.
Went to work 2 weeks after graduation.

You are a young whippersnapper.

in 1979 the year I graduated high school, I purchased a brand new Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham.
It cost $5800 out the door; and I had cash.
this would be my 3rd car of my life, first new one, all with money earned like you described, paper route, snow shoveling, and jobs. I had 17 lawns I was responsible for; and all of them paper customers.

PS: Equipment.... neighbors were easy to coax to allow me to use their mower and maintain it. Between my Dad's lawn tractor; and multiple neighbor mowers, I never was short equipment. One neighbor had a snowblower; and he would allow me to use it as it was mine. I did his driveway first; and at no charge.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#4284 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>I don't think you know what an answer is?
He knows... He's just afraid... like a cockroach when the light is turned on.
Adif understanding

United States

#4285 Feb 9, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
in 1979 the year I graduated high school, I purchased a brand new Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham.
this would be my 3rd car of my life, first new one, all with money earned like you described, paper route, snow shoveling, and jobs. I had 17 lawns I was responsible for; and all of them paper customers.
PS: Equipment.... neighbors were easy to coax to allow me to use their mower and maintain it. Between my Dad's lawn tractor; and multiple neighbor mowers, I never was short equipment. One neighbor had a snowblower; and he would allow me to use it as it was mine. I did his driveway first; and at no charge.
You are a bit older then me. But I hope you didn't think I was bragging, I was just trying to point out that $30 an hour isn't that much considering. I think I spent more time traveling between yards then I did mowing most of them. remember the good ol days when you didn't mind walking a mile or so or even five or ten miles to do something. Now I drive 5 blocks most of the time.

I'm not sure there are many opportunities for today's youth to do the same now. It seems that if there is a motor connected to it, you have to be 18 and over and you are limited to how many hours as well as how late you can work if you are under 18.
WiseAmerican

United States

#4286 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>It was closer to 1989 when I hung drywall. I was paid by the foot and it came out to about $20 an hour if you were good at it. But it is not like you have a job every day of ever week and back then, construction usually took winter off for a few months and sometimes even when you had a job booked, you had to wait for the roof to be finished or the framers to finish sheeting an exterior wall or something. You also had to pay all your taxes out of that, cover the costs of all your tools and their replacement and so on.
Anyways, we had Mexicans coming in and undercutting back then. They were nasty, would take craps in the closets and they lived like 10 or more of them in the same 2 bedroom house, all working the same jobs, and you can bet none of them paid taxes. If they didn't have next to nothing for cost of living, they never could have charged as little as they did. We did a better job then they did so we kept our business as it took less work for the mudding to be done from our jobs (we actually had finish drywallers claim they would charge more is they had to follow the Mexicans into a building).
It wasn't until a few years after I left town that a lot of people I worked with started finding other things to do for a living because of them. Contract bids were being awarded that wouldn't even pay minimum wage in some cases. Some of that has changed now, but it wasn't a matter of a lazy white man wanting to sit around. I worked with all sort of people and you either busted ass and got the job done right or you got another job. But you simply cannot compete with someone who has next to no cost of living and doesn't pay taxes.
I think the proper quote for that story would be, "The white man's greed runs a world in need ". It was the greedy Oligarchy that allowed the Mexcans to under bid/no bid on those construction jobs! PLACES THE DAM BLAME WERE IT BELONGS and stop shittin on the little guy trying to survive.
WiseAmerican

United States

#4287 Feb 9, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
You had hustle, but who! Put that into your head? Most of these welfare kids don't have any model to emulate unless it's the dope man making 5to10 thousand a week. In the projects, those kids don't have any grass to cut, it's mainly dirt patches, so the thought of getting a lawnmower with mom's welfare is a non starter.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#4288 Feb 9, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>You had hustle, but who! Put that into your head? Most of these welfare kids don't have any model to emulate unless it's the dope man making 5to10 thousand a week. In the projects, those kids don't have any grass to cut, it's mainly dirt patches, so the thought of getting a lawnmower with mom's welfare is a non starter.
As we speak, there are kids in the inner cities of Boston, Hartford, Providence and Worcester who between now and Monday, with nothing more than a shovel, will make $500 or more if they hustle.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#4289 Feb 9, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>More lies from you. I gave you a source which you refuse to access and it's YOU who have been destroyed in this argument by several posters.
How does a liar like you function in society?
You gave a general website, not a link to the numbers you cited. Not a single one of you blowhards has come close to supporting Walter's 9000 figure. Like you always do when you are wrong, you simply declare victory as if that makes it so. Put up or shut up.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#4290 Feb 9, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
if you only had a brain scarecrow.
those 565 pages have links to the 9000 gun laws you absolute idiot!
links take 565 pages dipstick for 9000 separate laws.
Texas splitting from the USA will occur prior to you becoming a certified licensed lawyer.
No they don't, Walter. They contain the text of all of the gun laws. Did you even look at it? You can't touch a keyboard without making things up from whole cloth.

If your figure is true, it should be very easy for you to post a link that proves it. For some reason, you can't.

Hilliard, OH

#4291 Feb 9, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You gave a general website, not a link to the numbers you cited. Not a single one of you blowhards has come close to supporting Walter's 9000 figure. Like you always do when you are wrong, you simply declare victory as if that makes it so. Put up or shut up.
Are you incapable of navigating a website, dear? Perhaps you can dial 911 like a hood rat shorted on her McDonald's drive-thru order.
You have been buried with numbers supporting our position. But like every time you are backed into a corner, you just keep on fruitlessly embarrassing yourself by continuing to cry.
Grow. Up.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#4292 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>Are you incapable of navigating a website, dear? Perhaps you can dial 911 like a hood rat shorted on her McDonald's drive-thru order.
You have been buried with numbers supporting our position. But like every time you are backed into a corner, you just keep on fruitlessly embarrassing yourself by continuing to cry.
Grow. Up.
The only thing I have been buried in is your bullshit.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#4293 Feb 9, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I have been buried in is your bullshit.
It should be a simple enough matter, even for you, to count them.
WiseAmerican

United States

#4294 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>As we speak, there are kids in the inner cities of Boston, Hartford, Providence and Worcester who between now and Monday, with nothing more than a shovel, will make $500 or more if they hustle.
Oh, and they will! But after the snow melts, back to the beans n rice.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#4295 Feb 9, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It should be a simple enough matter, even for you, to count them.
You count them. It should be easy to show a link where someone else counted them. But ya'll can't. That should tell you something.

Hilliard, OH

#4296 Feb 9, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and they will! But after the snow melts, back to the beans n rice.
Or, if they have the smarts, an investment in a used snow blower and a lawn mower...
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#4297 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>Or, if they have the smarts, an investment in a used snow blower and a lawn mower...
Judging from what I saw around Hurricane Sandy when I went to help out, they would be more interested in just stealing one and selling it to someone at price gouging rates because they will need it.

I don't trust the (north) east coast. I've been in hurricanes down south and they are completely different about it. They can be down to a shirt and shoes on their back with no idea where their next meal will come from and try to help someone else. Up north, they would try to take their shirt and shoes. It's an entirely different mind set.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#4298 Feb 10, 2013
<quoted text>Oh the irony...coming from someone who bandies about the word "slave," while describing the "plight" of blacks today.
It's not difficult to understand what I mean when using the word 'slave' in the context of the behaviors we witness by "some" blacks today. A 'slave' is not just a person or people who is physically in chains, the bondage I refer to is a 'mental' bondage of slavery, psychological damage that causes a people to hate each other, thus kill each other without remorse or regret.

A free and clear mind doesn't produce the kind of barbarism that we witness from 'brainwashed' ignorant blacks. A man who knows who he is, where he comes from, and what he has to do to break the psychological bondage of slavery ,will seek out answers as to why his people act the way that they do.

I am Wise enough to know that blacks didn't start out like this and that a spell of ignorance and darkness has taken over a substantial percentage of black households in America.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dess fP3ZpOY&feature=youtube_gd ata_player

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#4299 Feb 10, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> It's not difficult to understand what I mean when using the word 'slave' in the context of the behaviors we witness by "some" blacks today. A 'slave' is not just a person or people who is physically in chains, the bondage I refer to is a 'mental' bondage of slavery, psychological damage that causes a people to hate each other, thus kill each other without remorse or regret.
A free and clear mind doesn't produce the kind of barbarism that we witness from 'brainwashed' ignorant blacks. A man who knows who he is, where he comes from, and what he has to do to break the psychological bondage of slavery ,will seek out answers as to why his people act the way that they do.
I am Wise enough to know that blacks didn't start out like this and that a spell of ignorance and darkness has taken over a substantial percentage of black households in America.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dess fP3ZpOY&feature=youtube_gd ata_player
Why do they keep voting for their slavemasters?

Pale Rider

AOL

#4300 Feb 10, 2013
Are the people ready to register their guns? By registration, we will know who, and the kind of guns people own.
Pale Rider

AOL

#4301 Feb 10, 2013
Gun Owners Trust the NRA but Agree with Obama

A new poll released today shows that 52% of Americans support stricter gun control laws, an expected outcome after the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting sparked a nationwide discussion on gun safety. As for the particulars, 56% support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, 56% support a nationwide ban on the sale of high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets, and 92% support requiring background checks for all gun buyers. All of this bodes well for the Obama Administration.

Hilliard, OH

#4302 Feb 10, 2013
Pale Rider wrote:
Are the people ready to register their guns? By registration, we will know who, and the kind of guns people own.
Never going to happen, hilljack. Even if they somehow pass a law. Just look a t New York:

Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitu...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleveland braces for Brelo verdict 16 min SizzlinShari 8
Hillary Clinton 2016? (Apr '13) 4 hr Pale Rider 187
Ashley Ross 4 hr wondering 1
News Four Vietnam vets reflect on war 40 years after... 6 hr REAL American 25
Finally, Obama has a successor! 7 hr Kenny 57
Hooters Columbus locations closing due to defla... 8 hr Linda 199
News Food pantry leaving gentrified Short North 8 hr Linda 2
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE