Gun Control Under Obama
Adif understanding

United States

#3507 Jan 27, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you see why I keep my mouth shut and just ask questions when these forums get 'over my head/out of my area of expertise?'
Who said. "Better to remain silent and thought a fool then to open you mouth and verify it."
Or something close to that.
I think that was Mark Twain. He also said something along the lines of the speed of light is faster than sound, it's why some people appear so bright until you hear them speak.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#3508 Jan 27, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you see why I keep my mouth shut and just ask questions when these forums get 'over my head/out of my area of expertise?'
Who said. "Better to remain silent and thought a fool then to open you mouth and verify it."
Or something close to that.
SL, you must keep in mind that disagreement, to those in my profession, is not a bad thing...it is a given. Its what drives the wheels, and without it, democracy, and justice would simply not exist.

So when folks on these boards arrive at a conclusion that varies from mine and pretend or profess to have "won" an argument, it really is quite meaningless to me if I know that their conclusions are based on faulty assumptions, defective logic, weak analysis, or infected with bias.

On the other hand, if someone bases their conclusions upon sound facts, logic, and analysis, and those conclusions differ from mine, so be it. We can agree to disagree. Civilly.

Sadly, there are several people on these boards who think that disagreement with their positions, or taking the time to point out the faults in their facts, logic, or analysis is prima facie evidence of one's status as a member of a class of second class citizens. Disagreement begets labeling one's opponent so that what should be a civil debate now becomes a battle, with poison arrows thrown at those who disagree, whose alleged hallmarks as "leftists" or "liberals" invite self righteously justified, angry and wild derision rather than civil discourse about the issues in dispute.

Ya hear that Paco?

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#3509 Jan 27, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>There is no mistake and you said that any reference to militia was dicta. It was not dicta, the court found the word militia in the second amendment did not limit it's interpretation to the rights protect by it and that it conveyed an individual right separate from the term militia. That's binding- not dicta.
You continue to misunderstand. The Court found an individual right to self defense. That's what was at issue in Heller, and McDonald. That's all that was at issue.

There's also a collective right to bear arms as a member in a militia. The scope and breadth of those rights were not before the Court, so the Court's holding does not apply to them.

That's it.

Read Mr. Charles' article, pages 242-247. Its spells it out quite succinctly.

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#3510 Jan 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should apologize for all of your posts.
If they're too difficult for some, I could try making them easier to understand.

woof

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#3511 Jan 27, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
SL, you must keep in mind that disagreement, to those in my profession, is not a bad thing...it is a given. Its what drives the wheels, and without it, democracy, and justice would simply not exist.
So when folks on these boards arrive at a conclusion that varies from mine and pretend or profess to have "won" an argument, it really is quite meaningless to me if I know that their conclusions are based on faulty assumptions, defective logic, weak analysis, or infected with bias.
On the other hand, if someone bases their conclusions upon sound facts, logic, and analysis, and those conclusions differ from mine, so be it. We can agree to disagree. Civilly.
Sadly, there are several people on these boards who think that disagreement with their positions, or taking the time to point out the faults in their facts, logic, or analysis is prima facie evidence of one's status as a member of a class of second class citizens. Disagreement begets labeling one's opponent so that what should be a civil debate now becomes a battle, with poison arrows thrown at those who disagree, whose alleged hallmarks as "leftists" or "liberals" invite self righteously justified, angry and wild derision rather than civil discourse about the issues in dispute.
Ya hear that Paco?
woof
What I hear in your ridiculous post is, "Cha-Ching" for your Chevy Volt payment, shyster.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#3512 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that is exactly how Scalia got around the plain language of the amendment. My guess is that Scalia's opinion is the first time in history that a constitutional amendment has been broken into operative and prefatory clauses. It would seem that if the people who wrote the second amendment didn't think the words "a well regulated militia..." weren't important, they would have simply written, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." It would saved them some ink and us a lot of problems.
The prefatory clause explains why (from the government's only legitimate concern). The sentence doesn't make grammatical sense any other way.

The Constitution doesn't "grant" any rights to anyone except the government. It only enumerates some of the rights the government won't take away (keeping and bearing arms being one). It is abundantly clear that the purpose of the second amendment was so that (agents of) the government couldn't oppress the people by disarming them.

Regulation is possible and permissible, but only via due process under strict scrutiny. This permits the government, for example, to deny arms to convicted felons. The government must show just cause to deny an individual the right, and that denial only applies to individuals where such cause has been shown.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3513 Jan 27, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're too difficult for some, I could try making them easier to understand.
woof
Translation: "Yap, yap, yap...ad nauseam."
Duke for Mayor

United States

#3514 Jan 27, 2013
For you adif:

http://digitalcommons.law.umaryland.edu/cgi/v...

Its quiet lengthy, but a good start is at page 113.

woof

Planet Earth

#3515 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
noyb
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#3516 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>you are wrong. The senate has been in session when these appointments were made. The senate opened and close the day the same days the NLBR appointments were made. Obama decided he could ignore that and claim a recess appointment because no business was done.
Its spelled out right there in the ruling.
Of course what that court determined is spelled out in the ruling. To know that the ruling changed the rules one would have to compare that ruling to rulings that came before it. If you would do that, you would see that this Court of Appeals re-defined what a Senate recess is.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#3517 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>there is no provision mandating the senate perform that function in the constitution. It would undermine the separation of powers if there was and your suggestion of it only shows how little you know about the constitution or the government. All offices of the United state has to be created by law and the is not entitles to having any officers under him constitutionally except for military officials when the militia is raised or we hold a standing army. All other posts exist at the grace of congress created by law- or are otherwise the sole responsibility of the administration to execute the duty of unless otherwise provided for by law.
The fact that the POTUS can only appoint with the advice and consent of the Senate places a duty upon the Senate to offer that advice and consent.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#3518 Jan 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll wait for your citation proving that the perpetrators of these events carried out their deadly missions for the cause and in the name of Jesus Christ...and were then honored as martyrs by those of their faiths.
Arguing about whose religion is superior is akin to arguing about who is better, the Easter Bunny or the Toothfairy.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3519 Jan 27, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I generally find myself in agreement with your sentiments.
I consider abortion as one of the moral absolutes where society has tremendously failed.
Victory in eliminating the 90+% of abortions done for conveinece is my primary goal, but doing anything will not be possible as long as the media can demagogue the issue.
Therefore I see as the main issue I focus on acheiveing is getting people on the right to removing MSM influence.
Interesting information about quotas, I didn't know it existed like that.
I understand not to question you regarding overseas (middle east) treatment of women, though you would sometimes be surprised at the amount of people that do not care about what goes on over there, because of their anti-war sentiments.
Scratch the Huffington Post or Daily Kos, and they consider the US right-wing as morally equivalent to the Taliban.
And they are serious about it.
http://www.booksmith.com/event/markos-daily-k...
Read the comments of the four celebs on it, and you will quickly realize why we are headed for civil war.
Here is the right wing counterpart to it
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascism-America...
I also like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Arguing-Idiots-Small-Mi...
Thanks for the sites.
When I think of women being stoned for adultry...the male partner doesn't seem to come under any punishment...the 14 year odl girl being shot for promoting education...It's sickening. And there are many, many more examples.

How can anyone not care?

I will be PM'ing you. We are Rome. When any society loses respect for human life, it is doomed.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#3520 Jan 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
noyb
Coward.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3521 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Arguing about whose religion is superior is akin to arguing about who is better, the Easter Bunny or the Toothfairy.
That's easy. The Easter Bunny is superior.

Che, how much speed or whatever are you on? Your response above makes absolutely no sense.

Planet Earth

#3522 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Great. Then why are you so incredibly appalled by what President Obama did?
Because he did what President Bush did not, appoint positions without the legal right to do so.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#3523 Jan 27, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>What I hear in your ridiculous post is, "Cha-Ching" for your Chevy Volt payment, shyster.
Well, this may really cause upheaval in the Paco household, but I must inform you that I own two cars. One is a 77 Ford LTD. The other is a 59 Studebaker.

You wanna come and show me how to plug in the batteries?

woof

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3524 Jan 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he did what President Bush did not, appoint positions without the legal right to do so.
Some people live and learn.
Che just lives.

Planet Earth

#3525 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that the Senate wasn't it in recess wasn't decided until last week when a court redefined the term.
No, it was confirmed then. It was "decided" when the Senate (which is controlled by Democrats, BTW) chose to be in session, according to Senate rules defining the term.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#3526 Jan 27, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Coward.
Can you possibly raise hypocrisy to a high form of art? You, when asked about your educational background, immediately cry, "None of your business!" Every. Single. Time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 1 min Reality Speaks 502
Trump is President. It's all on Trump not past ... 1 min Reality Speaks 4
America Held Hostage Day 123 5 min Reality Speaks 97
America Held Hostage Day 124 16 min Reality Speaks 18
Anyone seen Sidekick or Tip 26 min Reality Speaks 46
Trump bungles again, reveals top secret info t... 29 min Reality Speaks 7
Cute note Trump left at Holocaust Memorial 2 hr consortium 1

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance