“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3402 Jan 26, 2013
Ken Blackwell Hilliard wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you Republican D!cks know or care about operating within the law? You crassly ignore law when ever a Repulitard wins a Presidential Election -reference 2000 & 2004. Law Shmaw.... To hell with it when it's convenient.
GYF&M
Wow...you've been wandering for 12 years. Amazing.

http://img.wikinut.com/img/230wa02u.nxqd9ws/j...

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#3403 Jan 26, 2013
<quoted text>
What do you Republican D!cks know or care about operating within the law? You crassly ignore law when ever a Repulitard wins a Presidential Election -reference 2000 & 2004. Law Shmaw.... To hell with it when it's convenient.
GYF&M
Look! The little troll got up from the basement and found his mom's half gallon of Kamchatka.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#3405 Jan 26, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Heller also explains that "shall not be infringed" doesn't mean that gun ownership and use can't be regulated, doesn't it?
Actually it ruled that the gun in question could be owned. And was not required to be disassembled or locked while in the home. They can regulate, but such regulations are subject to strict scrutiny.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3406 Jan 26, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
All of that with a mere bachelors degree.
Degrees are for hanging on the wall. And I have a couple myself. If you'd get out of your mom's basement, you'd know that a year's experience is worth three of formal education. The other suggestion I would have is to get off Topix a few hours a day, and READ something vaguely related to the subjects you cannot stop yourself from opining upon.
YOu came on here 2 - 3 weeks ago and haven't logged out since.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#3407 Jan 26, 2013
<quoted text>
GYF&M
Please refer to yourself as

"Marc Dann Ghetto"

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#3408 Jan 26, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>With the exception of people actually being in the senate and not literally phoning it in, I would say it is an accurate depiction.
I'm glad you acknowledge that the senate was being opened and close specifically stop Obama from making recess appointments and that he not only ignored the reality life presented him, but also the constitution as well as the separation of powers inherent with it and made unconstitutional appointments to government posts.
Whether you think congress or the republicans should have done something more or different is beside the point and does not make what happened legitimate or constitutional.
No--I would say both sides were playing slick and it was pretty much a coin toss which way the Supremes would find.

With that said, Obama's purpose was to keep the government running. Can't say the same for the folks who had dedicated themselves to an ongoing policy of non-cooperation.

Location hidden

#3409 Jan 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
No--I would say both sides were playing slick and it was pretty much a coin toss which way the Supremes would find.
With that said, Obama's purpose was to keep the government running. Can't say the same for the folks who had dedicated themselves to an ongoing policy of non-cooperation.
The Supremes haven't decided, hypocrite.

Location hidden

#3410 Jan 26, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I've given you my alma mater and class year. If you were such a super sleuth as you've claimed to SeriousLady, you should be able to figure things out. So have at it, Charlie Chan.
I've been so worried.:-)

Planet Earth

#3411 Jan 26, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. Did you? The word militia was conveniently left out of their argument as well.
As it is not part of the operative clause, it is irrelevant. Read Heller... again.

"The Second Amendment is naturally divided into two parts: its prefatory clause and its operative clause. The former does not limit the latter grammatically, but rather announces a purpose."

Location hidden

#3412 Jan 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
...With that said, Obama's purpose was to keep the government running. Can't say the same for the folks who had dedicated themselves to an ongoing policy of non-cooperation.
Let's see exactly which party "has dedicated themselves to an ongoing policy of non-cooperation," shall we?

FACT: In the 108th Congress (GWB), 10 of the President's 34 appellate nominees were filibustered — the lowest confirmation rate since FDR.

FACT: Clinton’s judicial nominees were NOT FILIBUSTERED and never before (until GWB) had a judicial nominee with clear majority support been denied an up or down vote in the Senate by a filibuster.

"[Harry] Reid and company have used the Senate filibuster rule to permanently deny votes to nominees with clear majority support. That’s never been done before." (David Reinhard, op-ed, "Judge Not Lest Ye Be … Filibustered," The Oregonian, 3/17/05)

"President Clinton has gotten 129 federal judges confirmed by the Senate, more than any previous president during the first two years in office… 101 of his 129 judges were confirmed in 1994. That was the highest one-year total since Jimmy Carter won approval of 135 in 1979." (Michael J. Sniffen, "Clinton Outdoes Predecessors In Filing Judicial Vacancies," The Associated Press, 10/12/94)

When asked how many hours were necessary to debate the nomination of Priscilla Owen, Sen. Harry Reid answered, "There is not a number in the universe that would be sufficient." (Sen. Harry Reid, Congressional Record, 4/8/03, p. S4949)

By September 2004, the Senate had spent more than 150 hours debating judicial nominations -- more than any previous Congress.(U.S. Senate Republican Policy Committee, "The Assault on Judicial Nominations in the 108th Congress," 9/28/04)

The Senate had 28 months (that's 2 yrs, 4 mos!) to debate the nomination of Miguel Estrada before it was withdrawn. "After remaining in limbo for 28 months while Democrats filibustered to block his approval, Estrada...withdrew his name in September 2003." (Tim O’Brien, "Hispanic Lawyers Line Up Behind Nominee for AG," The Legal Intelligencer, 11/16/04)

And that's only with respect to judicial nominees.
Would you like to discuss the process by which Obamacare became law?

Location hidden

#3413 Jan 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's purpose was to stack the deck with hand picked appointments he could control so he could further his agenda.

As far as SCOTUS, after their cowardly decision on Obamacare, I doubt they even accept to hear this, and if they do, it will be drug out so long that we will yet one more liberal jurist. Sad that I feel that way about the premiere court in the country. I used to believe justice existed.

Hilliard, OH

#3414 Jan 26, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been so worried.:-)
Che can't even find his way around Topix without failing miserably. He couldn't find you or me with a government grant, a GPS system and a lifetime supply of Kleenex.

Ivy League-ISIS

#3415 Jan 26, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's purpose was to stack the deck with hand picked appointments he could control so he could further his agenda.
As far as SCOTUS, after their cowardly decision on Obamacare, I doubt they even accept to hear this, and if they do, it will be drug out so long that we will yet one more liberal jurist. Sad that I feel that way about the premiere court in the country. I used to believe justice existed.
All presidential appointments are "hand picked", nominating commissions don't exist at that level.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3416 Jan 26, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Che can't even find his way around Topix without failing miserably. He couldn't find you or me with a government grant, a GPS system and a lifetime supply of Kleenex.
I believe Che is a she.

Planet Earth

#3417 Jan 26, 2013
-tip- wrote:
...But the Power Grab Continues
http://tinyurl.com/b8xcwcx
Thumbing its nose at the federal courts, which ruled yesterday that President Obama’s "recess" appointments to the National Labor Relations Board last year were unconstitutional (because they were appointed during a non-existent "recess"), the Obama Administration has declared that it will not remedy constitutional violations identified by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals in Noel Canning v. NLRB.
Instead, it will continue to defend 200 other NLRB decisions issued by the invalidly appointed NLRB members as if those decisions were valid. It also will disregard the ruling’s binding ramifications for another appointment President Obama made the same day he appointed the NLRB members, which is invalid for the same reason — the “recess” appointment of Richard Cordray to be Director of a powerful agency located in Washington, D.C., the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
The D.C. Circuit ruled that there was no “recess” on that particular day for purposes of the Constitution’s Recess Appointments Clause, so Cordray’s appointment was constitutionally invalid, just as the NLRB appointments made on that same day were invalid.(Cordray’s “recess” appointment during a non-existent recess is one of the constitutional violations cited in State National Bank of Big Spring v. Geithner, another court case pending in Washington, D.C. That case also challenges provisions of the law that created the CFPB, the Dodd-Frank Act, which Obama signed into law in 2010)....
I wonder if the Iraqis still have that rope they used on the other Hussein.

Planet Earth

#3418 Jan 26, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Columbus Dispatch today
Writing for the court, Judge David Sentelle concluded that the three labor board appointments were "invalid from their inception " because the Senate was "technically " in session from December 2011 through January 2012.
Even though most senators had returned home, the Senate was gaveled in and out "every few days as part of a tactic that created "pro forma " sessions.
In short, the GOP was being obstructionist with this "pro forma " tactic they devised just for the Obama WH to block ALL of his appointments. No different than a ball game coach changing some rules in the middle of a game when his team is losing.
The Senate did not violate the constitution...

Hilliard, OH

#3419 Jan 26, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I believe Che is a she.
Really? Hmmm...certainly explains the over the top emotional outbursts.

Planet Earth

#3420 Jan 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, this has to be considered in the full context. Congress was not meaningfully in session. The Repubs went home and called in in order to prevent technically being out of session. And they did this in order to prevent Obama from making recess appointments. And Obama was making recess appointments because Congress in its state of dysfunction would/could not approve any appointments made while they were in session.
Now, you can spin any way you want, but it looks to me like there's an abundance of blame all the way around. Tracking all the way back to the reality that these are the people we elected and sent to Washington.
Time to grow up.
Were you complaining when the Democrats invented and used the same tactic against Bush?

Didn't think so, hypocrite.

Ivy League-ISIS

#3421 Jan 26, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I believe Che is a she.
Never thought of that, I know DuPree is, but I operate by "no girls on the internet" rule, unless someone identifies as female, I think they are male.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/there-are-no-gi...

Planet Earth

#3422 Jan 26, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Heller did not deal with 2nd Amendment rights related to the militia whatsoever. It involved a DC statute restricting the individual right to own a handgun.
One of the most basic premises for interpreting judicial opinions is that any discussion of background information or law unrelated to the factual circumstances before the court, or conclusions of law unnecessary to determine the issues before the court, are "dicta".
The holding in Heller is that there is an individual right to keep firearms, specifically handguns, for self defense, and that the DC statute impermissibly infringed upon that right.
It had absolutely nothing to do with militias.
woof
The petitioners tried to CLAIM that the Second Amendment protects only the right to possess and carry a firearm in connection with militia service. They were "shot down".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 46 min kmh 206
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 3 hr d pantz 74
What makes GlitterSucks so annoying? (Nov '12) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 470
chanukah hanukkah day 2 4 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Should Witchcraft or Pagan Shops be 18+ ? 4 hr They cannot kill ... 10
Obscene Bumber Stickers 4 hr They cannot kill ... 8
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 4 hr bumper season 6
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 6 hr Neutral Party 253
Columbus Dating
Find my Match