Gun Control Under Obama

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2861 Jan 22, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I see you got my point. But it isn't a right, it is an extra ability. If it was a right, then all sorts of weird marriages would be a right. My problem with it is not in it happening, but solely in pretending it is a right.
Do heterosexuals currently have a right to marry? Or only the ability?

I believe that in the end, this will be determined under equal protection under the law--hence a right. Marriage is a legal status that ensures that a number of rights are available--inheritance being one, but there are a number of others.
Adif understanding

United States

#2862 Jan 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that in the end, this will be determined under equal protection under the law--hence a right. Marriage is a legal status that ensures that a number of rights are available--inheritance being one, but there are a number of others.
Everyone of legal age has the ability to marry someone of the opposite sex. You can call it a legal right too, but you cannot claim homosexuals do not have that same legal right.

The equal protection clause has nothing to do with it. There is nothing a gay person can't do legally that a straight person can.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#2863 Jan 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you include yourself in the strong and smart category.
Some combination thereof.

Planet Earth

#2864 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>I agree with everything you said except for gay marriage. I do not see gay marriage as a right but as an extra ability. Right now, gays have the same rights as straight people do and can marry anyone of the opposite sex in any state as long as they are both consenting and of legal age. To give them the ability to marry someone of the same sex would be an additional right. You might say, but love..... Love is not ever mentioned in the statutes covering marriage. Two people who have no feelings for each other can get married in any state.
I personally do not care if gays can marry, I just object to the claim it is a right they are being denied.
I'm of the opinion that anything that cannot be demonstrably be shown to harm someone else (harm including violation of a superior right of another) is a right.
Adif understanding

United States

#2865 Jan 22, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm of the opinion that anything that cannot be demonstrably be shown to harm someone else (harm including violation of a superior right of another) is a right.
I do not think marriage is a right in and of itself. It is a legal and religious concept and subject to the bounds within either.

If marriage was a right, you not wanting to marry me would be depriving me of my right. Therefore marriage is not a right. I think the word you might be looking for is freedom. Mariage is a freedom that people enjoy.
VADoc

Aiken, SC

#2866 Jan 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you don't want to go anywhere where you might have to learn a second language, eh?
Unwilling to assimilate, are we?
So we should take down all those signs in Spanish then in Lowes Walmart target, etc?

Your hypocrisy is showing again.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#2867 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>lol.. I see what you did there. You pulled one of those when did you stop beating your wife stunts expecting an answer to which you could claim I either don't like democracy or have issues understanding it.
Here is the problem, it is not about my side winning, it is about rights people hold. I despise people who would desecrate the flag yet I would stand up for the right of some low life SOB to burn it in protest. The majority of people think that it is wrong to burn a flag so should that person lose his right to free speech through democracy? I mean government certainly has created laws making the act illegal. There was a majority of people who thought slavery and tom crow laws was ok, obviously, we do not now. We made sure that citizens enjoy the same rights as other citizens but at the time, those pushing that ideal was in the minority.
So to answer your question, I will have to rephrase your comment to one that would be true. It would also be the most logical take from my previous post too. "I like democracy as long as it isn't used to take rights and freedoms away from people".
I hope that is plain and simple enough to understand. BTW, why do you think it democracy is a good thing when it can be used to oppress people or take rights and freedoms away from them?
What right or freedom has been taken from you?
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#2868 Jan 22, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing, I consider those who support many leftist policies in the same light.
Not too many liberals are advocating the violent overthrow of the government like you guys are.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#2869 Jan 22, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is, you haven't found a way to punish the "privileged" (and to be sure, that's EXACTLY what you're trying to do) that doesn't end up punishing the non-privileged even worse.
How am I trying to punish the privileged?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2870 Jan 22, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should take down all those signs in Spanish then in Lowes Walmart target, etc?
Your hypocrisy is showing again.
I'm not the one claiming to be poised to leave the country. Canada is a bilingual country, but as one of the languages is English, Murphy would be OK. In Japan, over his head.

And I don't know for certain, but I suspect that Murph is one of those who objects to those signs in WalMart and elsewhere.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2871 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too many liberals are advocating the violent overthrow of the government like you guys are.
you could have fooled me and the extreme left with their Modern Pseudo Liberalism including Dianne Feinstein want to see a government like Venezuela here in the US.

Venezuela bans private gun ownership

Venezuela has brought a new gun law into effect which bans the commercial sale of firearms and ammunition.

Until now, anyone with a gun permit could buy arms from a private company.

Under the new law, only the army, police and certain groups like security companies will be able to buy arms from the state-owned weapons manufacturer and importer.

The ban is the latest attempt by the government to improve security and cut crime ahead of elections in October

Venezuela saw more than 18,000 murders last year and the capital, Caracas, is thought to be one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.

'Must do more'

The government has been running a gun amnesty in the run-up to the introduction of the new law to try to encourage people to give up their illegal arms without fear of consequences.

One member of the public in Caracas told the BBC: "They're killing people every day. This law is important but they need to do more, they're not doing enough now."

Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians, but his opponents say the police and government may not have the capacity or the will to enforce the new law.

Criminal violence is set to be a major issue in presidential elections later in the year.

Campaign group The Venezuela Violence Observatory said last year that violence has risen steadily since Mr Chavez took office in 1999.

Several Latin American countries have murder rates far higher than the global average of 6.9 murders per 100,000 people.

According to a recent United Nations report, South America, Central America and the Caribbean have the highest rates of murder by firearms in the world.

It found that over 70% of all homicides in South America are as a results of guns - in Western Europe, the figure was closer to 25%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america...

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#2872 Jan 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one claiming to be poised to leave the country. Canada is a bilingual country, but as one of the languages is English, Murphy would be OK. In Japan, over his head.
And I don't know for certain, but I suspect that Murph is one of those who objects to those signs in WalMart and elsewhere.
If you lived in Canada anyplace but Quebec or northern New Brunswick, you'd understand why people object to bilingual nonsense.
Adif understanding

United States

#2873 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What right or freedom has been taken from you?
Who said a right or freedom has been taken?

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#2874 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Still can't discern between self defense and revolution, can you, "lawyer"?
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#2875 Jan 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is a constitutional right.

Location hidden

#2876 Jan 22, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>If you lived in Canada anyplace but Quebec or northern New Brunswick, you'd understand why people object to bilingual nonsense.
you got that right.
Adif understanding

United States

#2877 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is a constitutional right.
lol.. where is it in the constitution? Are you talking of federal or state? The state has it as a constitutional right between people of the opposite sex. The federal constitution is silent on the matter because marriage is a state issue, not a federal government issue.

Planet Earth

#2878 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Resistance is not overthrowing. You are the ones advocating overthrow... by advocating that one part of the government (the part in Washington) overthrow the rights of another part of the government (us).

Location hidden

#2879 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>lol.. where is it in the constitution? Are you talking of federal or state? The state has it as a constitutional right between people of the opposite sex. The federal constitution is silent on the matter because marriage is a state issue, not a federal government issue.
true

Planet Earth

#2880 Jan 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
How am I trying to punish the privileged?
The "you" is collective. And you are trying to punish them by penalizing them for being more successful, not realizing (at least I THINK you're not realizing...) that you're shooting yourselves in the foot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is caitlin jenner still a man? 30 min Mr Cumberbatch 43
US-Created System In Iraq is collapsing 1 hr Victor Charlie 9
California rejects John Wayne Day due to commen... 1 hr d pants 101
Those who cannot remember the past are condemne... 1 hr Ylaowlning Out Loud 3
Bill Nye, a pretend scientist in a bow tie 2 hr Male 1
Obama "out". 3 hr Male 7
News Seriously, please take her stuff:' Tongue-in-ch... 3 hr jayzee pop snizzl... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages