Comments
2,581 - 2,600 of 8,007 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2840
Jan 22, 2013
 
Murphys law wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotta admit, you are funny.
The Japanese are weird, look what they put in vending machines!
Ring me up and you can be first mate on the boat for the "accident"
The smog in Toyoko is so thick by 2 PM that, if you are at the races, you cannot see the horses racing on the far side of the track. The Japanese people are very gracious, but the city is fiercely overpopulated. Traffic, unbelievable.
LOL I have a photo I took last trip of a corner store in the heart of the shopping district that was strictly a 'condum consortium'. Big condum figures, with faces, painted on the windows.
I enjoy my visits there.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2841
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you like democracy just so long as your side wins.
That's exactly what they all are saying.

woof

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2842
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

WiseAmerican wrote:
Gunman reported at Houston college
By Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 2:19 PM EST, Tue January 22, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Few details are available in a possible campus shooting in Houston
Police have responded to Lone Star College's North Harris Campus
Medics are seen treating at least two people
(CNN)-- Students at a community college in Houston are taking shelter after reports of a gunman on campus. More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris Campus of Lone Star College, a spokesman said.
Police and emergency responders swarmed an entrance to the campus, aerial video from CNN affiliate KPRC showed.
Medical personnel were seen treating at least two people and moving them to ambulances. Students were jogging away from some buildings, with their hands up in the air, presumably in response to police instruction.
It was not immediately clear whether any arrests had been made or a gunman remained on the loose.
Lone Star College spokesman Jed Young could only confirm that there were reports of a shooter on campus.
The Lone Star College system is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area, and the fastest-growing community college system in Texas, according to its website.
Big deal...
Let's see how the media follows the Obama playbook on this one.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2843
Jan 22, 2013
 
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you like democracy just so long as your side wins.
lol.. I see what you did there. You pulled one of those when did you stop beating your wife stunts expecting an answer to which you could claim I either don't like democracy or have issues understanding it.

Here is the problem, it is not about my side winning, it is about rights people hold. I despise people who would desecrate the flag yet I would stand up for the right of some low life SOB to burn it in protest. The majority of people think that it is wrong to burn a flag so should that person lose his right to free speech through democracy? I mean government certainly has created laws making the act illegal. There was a majority of people who thought slavery and tom crow laws was ok, obviously, we do not now. We made sure that citizens enjoy the same rights as other citizens but at the time, those pushing that ideal was in the minority.

So to answer your question, I will have to rephrase your comment to one that would be true. It would also be the most logical take from my previous post too. "I like democracy as long as it isn't used to take rights and freedoms away from people".

I hope that is plain and simple enough to understand. BTW, why do you think it democracy is a good thing when it can be used to oppress people or take rights and freedoms away from them?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2844
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the country and what it stands for. That's why I resist wingnuts like you who think that the country only exists for the benefit of the privileged. Your thought processes haven't evolved from the middle ages.
The problem is, you haven't found a way to punish the "privileged" (and to be sure, that's EXACTLY what you're trying to do) that doesn't end up punishing the non-privileged even worse.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2845
Jan 22, 2013
 
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also treason.
Funny thing, I consider those who support many leftist policies in the same light.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2846
Jan 22, 2013
 
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I would reject democracy when it interferes with limitations on government taking the rights of the people. Democracy can be two wolves in sheep's clothing asking the flock what is for dinner. Democracy in and of itself, while noble, does not always translate to just or welcomed outcomes nor does it stop people's rights- things that are not up for a vote, from being eroded.
And so your alternative would be?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2847
Jan 22, 2013
 
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> You know what the inference of 'privilege' means. You can work hard in this country and still be in poverty. Hard work doesn't equate to success financially. That lie has to stop! They're millions who work three times harder than you and still are eligible for food stamps and rent subsistence. Explain that disconnect or rationalize that BS with your phoney conservative ideology.
Your ilk believes in profits over morality, justice, and liberty & dignity.
No, we believe in strong and smart over weak and stupid.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2848
Jan 22, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You reject democracy?
When it interferes with personal liberty, yes. "Rights" should not be subject to a vote. Be it the right to bear arms or the right of two gays to marry.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2849
Jan 22, 2013
 
There. Now I've pissed off both "sides".

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2850
Jan 22, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Got some problems there, fella.
First off, due to the cap, CEOs are not paying 10X what others do. In fact, not even close--even if they have an income 10X what others have.
Second, I believe you are confusing SS with SSI when you speak of folks who didn't pay in getting a pay out.
In theory, there can be up to four people drawing a full SS check on one account. The person who worked, and up to three ex-spouses of 10 years each who may not have. Personally, I think they should all get PART of the full benefit. Similar to the way they calculate shares of pensions... half of number of years married divided by number of years worked.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2851
Jan 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we believe in strong and smart over weak and stupid.
Of course, you include yourself in the strong and smart category.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2852
Jan 22, 2013
 
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>lol.. I see what you did there. You pulled one of those when did you stop beating your wife stunts expecting an answer to which you could claim I either don't like democracy or have issues understanding it.
Here is the problem, it is not about my side winning, it is about rights people hold. I despise people who would desecrate the flag yet I would stand up for the right of some low life SOB to burn it in protest. The majority of people think that it is wrong to burn a flag so should that person lose his right to free speech through democracy? I mean government certainly has created laws making the act illegal. There was a majority of people who thought slavery and tom crow laws was ok, obviously, we do not now. We made sure that citizens enjoy the same rights as other citizens but at the time, those pushing that ideal was in the minority.
So to answer your question, I will have to rephrase your comment to one that would be true. It would also be the most logical take from my previous post too. "I like democracy as long as it isn't used to take rights and freedoms away from people".
I hope that is plain and simple enough to understand. BTW, why do you think it democracy is a good thing when it can be used to oppress people or take rights and freedoms away from them?
What you are describing is the reason that we have the Constitution which lays out some basic things that are not to be violated--even by the majority. Now, with that said, we still must rely on human beings and their judgment to get it right. And sometimes we tolerate injustice far too long. The notion that Jim Crow laws were a violation of equal protection under the law was a long time coming. But we did eventually get there.

I happen to be a supporter of gay rights, including the right to marry. I believe that we will get there also. One day we will be demonstrate some things were are already legally committed to, such as equal access to education and employment (including salary) for men and women and people of various races and backgrounds.

There are times to stop and stand and say no more to things that have stood wrong for far too long a time. Power is never ceded, it is always taken. But, I am not much for either violent revolution, or for irresponsible and disorganized actions that are not based in careful thought, consideration of philosophies and values and prayerful planning.

I believe that there are some right now who confuse having a tantrum wiht leading a revolution. They are not the same thing.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2853
Jan 22, 2013
 
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>lol.. I see what you did there. You pulled one of those when did you stop beating your wife stunts expecting an answer to which you could claim I either don't like democracy or have issues understanding it.
Here is the problem, it is not about my side winning, it is about rights people hold. I despise people who would desecrate the flag yet I would stand up for the right of some low life SOB to burn it in protest. The majority of people think that it is wrong to burn a flag so should that person lose his right to free speech through democracy? I mean government certainly has created laws making the act illegal. There was a majority of people who thought slavery and tom crow laws was ok, obviously, we do not now. We made sure that citizens enjoy the same rights as other citizens but at the time, those pushing that ideal was in the minority.
So to answer your question, I will have to rephrase your comment to one that would be true. It would also be the most logical take from my previous post too. "I like democracy as long as it isn't used to take rights and freedoms away from people".
I hope that is plain and simple enough to understand. BTW, why do you think it democracy is a good thing when it can be used to oppress people or take rights and freedoms away from them?
Republic vs. Democracy

As Benjamin Franklin was leaving the building where, after four months of hard work, the Constitution had been completed and signed, a lady asked him what kind of government did the convention create. A very old, very tired, and very wise Benjamin Franklin replied; "A Republic, ma'am if you can keep it."

http://www.timetracts.com/republic_vs.htm

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2854
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> And by chance your job is sent packing to China and there's no replacement for you? No safety net, no mortgage assistance? Do you see how fast poverty can snatch you in its grip.
Indeed it can. Through no fault of your own. That's why I say, don't accmulate debt, plan ahead and save $ regularly. If foreclosure is a threat,take in a boarder, rent the house and move in with a relative, call HUD. And always, look for the silver lining. Something good comes from everything, no matter how tragic.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2855
Jan 22, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And so your alternative would be?
My alternative would be to not violate the rights of the citizens and not pass laws that are expressly unconstitutional. Think of it as a rational democracy where people and government has to think before they act.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2856
Jan 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
There. Now I've pissed off both "sides".
You're O.K., Tony.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2857
Jan 22, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are describing is the reason that we have the Constitution which lays out some basic things that are not to be violated--even by the majority. Now, with that said, we still must rely on human beings and their judgment to get it right. And sometimes we tolerate injustice far too long. The notion that Jim Crow laws were a violation of equal protection under the law was a long time coming. But we did eventually get there.
I happen to be a supporter of gay rights, including the right to marry. I believe that we will get there also. One day we will be demonstrate some things were are already legally committed to, such as equal access to education and employment (including salary) for men and women and people of various races and backgrounds.
There are times to stop and stand and say no more to things that have stood wrong for far too long a time. Power is never ceded, it is always taken. But, I am not much for either violent revolution, or for irresponsible and disorganized actions that are not based in careful thought, consideration of philosophies and values and prayerful planning.
I believe that there are some right now who confuse having a tantrum wiht leading a revolution. They are not the same thing.
I agree with everything you said except for gay marriage. I do not see gay marriage as a right but as an extra ability. Right now, gays have the same rights as straight people do and can marry anyone of the opposite sex in any state as long as they are both consenting and of legal age. To give them the ability to marry someone of the same sex would be an additional right. You might say, but love..... Love is not ever mentioned in the statutes covering marriage. Two people who have no feelings for each other can get married in any state.

I personally do not care if gays can marry, I just object to the claim it is a right they are being denied.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2858
Jan 22, 2013
 
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>My alternative would be to not violate the rights of the citizens and not pass laws that are expressly unconstitutional. Think of it as a rational democracy where people and government has to think before they act.
At its best, that is America.

At our worst, well, we are all still people. No way around it.

However, passing laws that are "expressly unconstitutional" is something for which there are remedies.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2859
Jan 22, 2013
 
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with everything you said except for gay marriage. I do not see gay marriage as a right but as an extra ability. Right now, gays have the same rights as straight people do and can marry anyone of the opposite sex in any state as long as they are both consenting and of legal age. To give them the ability to marry someone of the same sex would be an additional right. You might say, but love..... Love is not ever mentioned in the statutes covering marriage. Two people who have no feelings for each other can get married in any state.
I personally do not care if gays can marry, I just object to the claim it is a right they are being denied.
Well, I suppose that under gay marriage protections, straight people might acquire the right to marry someone of like gender. I would suspect that few would exercise this, however.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Are PEDOphiles Born That Way 46 min STFU Breeders 17
No you agree with Israeli airstrikes into Gaza? 51 min Go IDF Go 29
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 1 hr d pantz 65
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr d pantz 29,093
Little Boy Blue's Got a Job in Town 6 hr Duke for Mayor 6
Columbus to spread more wastewater sludge on fa... 6 hr They cannot kill a Spook 1
Columbus mayor to DNC: Pick us or lose Ohio 6 hr Star On 47 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••