Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> You know what the inference of 'privilege' means. You can work hard in this country and still be in poverty. Hard work doesn't equate to success financially. That lie has to stop! They're millions who work three times harder than you and still are eligible for food stamps and rent subsistence. Explain that disconnect or rationalize that BS with your phoney conservative ideology.
Your ilk believes in profits over morality, justice, and liberty & dignity.
Working hard is not the sole factor; a host of personal decisions play a role.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/editorials/20...

Brookings [Institution] whittled down a lot of analysis into three simple rules. You can avoid poverty by:

1. Graduating from high school.

2. Waiting to get married until after 21 and do not have children till after being married.

3. Having a full-time job.

If you do all those three things, your chance of falling into poverty is just 2%. Meanwhile, youíll have a 74% chance of being in the middle class.

These rules apply to all races and ethnic groups. Breaking these rules is becoming more commonplace, unfortunately, for all racial groups.

By contrast, young adults who violated all three norms - dropped out, got married before 21 and had children out of wedlock, and didnít have a full-time job - had a 76% chance of winding up in poverty and a 7% chance of winding up in the middle class.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Go easy on her.
She believes that Hitler eased gun restrictions on the populace.
If you weren't a Jew, fact is, he did. The blanket gun restrictions in Germany came into effect when the Allies moved in.

woof

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
If you weren't a Jew, fact is, he did. The blanket gun restrictions in Germany came into effect when the Allies moved in.
woof
Please don't embarrass yourself further.

http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/T724C36IP...
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> You know what the inference of 'privilege' means. You can work hard in this country and still be in poverty. Hard work doesn't equate to success financially. That lie has to stop! They're millions who work three times harder than you and still are eligible for food stamps and rent subsistence. Explain that disconnect or rationalize that BS with your phoney conservative ideology.
Your ilk believes in profits over morality, justice, and liberty & dignity.
easy.....in the end

social security is there if you worked and earned.

same benefit for those on minimum wage as a CEO. The CEO will pay in 10 times more.

problem is those who pay ZERO into social security receiving benefit.

I can't think of a single person I know, that if the best a person can do is get his feet in the correct shoe, then so be it. But a person who takes advantage of charity Katy bar the door.

and when you speak about morality of my ilk, you forgot your ilk are baby murderers.

where is the justice and liberty for the babies you kill?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Brookings [Institution] whittled down a lot of analysis into three simple rules. You can avoid poverty by:
2. Waiting to get married until after 21 and do not have children till after being married.
If you do all those three things, your chance of falling into poverty is just 2%. Meanwhile, youíll have a 74% chance of being in the middle class.
These rules apply to all races and ethnic groups. Breaking these rules is becoming more commonplace, unfortunately, for all racial groups.
By contrast, young adults who violated all three norms - dropped out, got married before 21 and had children out of wedlock, and didnít have a full-time job - had a 76% chance of winding up in poverty and a 7% chance of winding up in the middle class.
I would add: Avoid debt except to purchase a house
Do not live beyond your means
Do not use drugs at all, and alcohol
in moderation.
Save no less than $3.00 per week,$5.00
if you can swing it.

I'm sure there are others.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Them are people I know of. We can leave it at that.
As for knowing what they want, I have choices of a government that doesn't represent me and it trying to take my rights away verses a something else that I'm sure I will not agree 100% with. I don't think I can lose and have the possibility of even winning. Or getting dead in the process and then it wouldn't even matter.
You reject democracy?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Murphys law wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotta admit, you are funny.
The Japanese are weird, look what they put in vending machines!
Ring me up and you can be first mate on the boat for the "accident"
I take it you don't want to go anywhere where you might have to learn a second language, eh?

Unwilling to assimilate, are we?
Murphys law

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You reject democracy?
Of course, the Founders were not in favor of it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
easy.....in the end
same benefit for those on minimum wage as a CEO. The CEO will pay in 10 times more.
I can't think of a single person I know, that if the best a person can do is get his feet in the correct shoe, then so be it. But a person who takes advantage of charity Katy bar the door.
and when you speak about morality of my ilk, you forgot your ilk are baby murderers.
Got some problems there, fella.

First off, due to the cap, CEOs are not paying 10X what others do. In fact, not even close--even if they have an income 10X what others have.

Second, I believe you are confusing SS with SSI when you speak of folks who didn't pay in getting a pay out. SSI is funding through general revenue, not a part of the SS funding pool.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Falling IN to poverty. Interesting phraseology.

How about what it takes to crawl out, particularly for those born into poverty.

Further, what are the odds of being able to get full-time employment is one has nothing more than a high school credential?

And if that high school credential came from an urban district and/or high poverty/high minority school what are th odds of being able to attend college without remediation?

And if one begins college in need of remediation, what are the comparative odds of completion?

Life is seldom a matter of a few simple rules determining outcomes.

And we haven't even talked about the odds of graduation if one attends certain schools.

Good personal choices: necessary, but not sufficient.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, due to the cap, CEOs are not paying 10X what others do. In fact, not even close--even if they have an income 10X what others have.
Second, I believe you are confusing SS with SSI when you speak of folks who didn't pay in getting a pay out. SSI is funding through general revenue, not a part of the SS funding pool.
Don't confuse RS with facts or data. It makes him angry.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, "breaking the rules" is not becoming more prevalent.

High school graduation rates just hit a new high, albeit the advance is not dramatic. But the trend has been upwards since the 1970s.

Rate of teen pregnancy/births has also been declining.

Births out of wedlock, not so sure on that one. But age of first marriage has consistently been moving upwards.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooops. And I did it again, too!
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
hey genius

just shy of 11K is max pay into SS.

take the average income reported in recent census, then do the math again.

someone paying in max to social security pays 10 times more annually into the system than the average salary.

I believe you are confusing yourself as to thinking you know anything.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
don't confuse your fantasy as reality
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You reject democracy?
Yes, I would reject democracy when it interferes with limitations on government taking the rights of the people. Democracy can be two wolves in sheep's clothing asking the flock what is for dinner. Democracy in and of itself, while noble, does not always translate to just or welcomed outcomes nor does it stop people's rights- things that are not up for a vote, from being eroded.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Gunman reported at Houston college
By Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 2:19 PM EST, Tue January 22, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Few details are available in a possible campus shooting in Houston
Police have responded to Lone Star College's North Harris Campus
Medics are seen treating at least two people
(CNN)-- Students at a community college in Houston are taking shelter after reports of a gunman on campus. More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris Campus of Lone Star College, a spokesman said.
Police and emergency responders swarmed an entrance to the campus, aerial video from CNN affiliate KPRC showed.
Medical personnel were seen treating at least two people and moving them to ambulances. Students were jogging away from some buildings, with their hands up in the air, presumably in response to police instruction.
It was not immediately clear whether any arrests had been made or a gunman remained on the loose.
Lone Star College spokesman Jed Young could only confirm that there were reports of a shooter on campus.
The Lone Star College system is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area, and the fastest-growing community college system in Texas, according to its website.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
And by chance your job is sent packing to China and there's no replacement for you? No safety net, no mortgage assistance? Do you see how fast poverty can snatch you in its grip.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
easy.....in the end
Social Security is not there if you worked and is not a earned benefit according to the Ruling in Flemming Vs Nestor(1960) the modern liberals still dont get that or understand stand why and why the Scam should be eliminated immediately.

November 25, 1998

You worked hard your whole life and paid thousands of dollars in Social Security taxes. Now itís time to retire. Youíre legally entitled to Social Security benefits, right? Wrong. There is no legal right to Social Security, and that is one of the considerations that may decide the coming debate over Social Security reform.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/i...

Property Rights: The Hidden Issue of Social Security Reform

By Charles E. Rounds Jr.

April 19, 2000

Executive Summary

One of the most enduring myths of Social Security is that a worker has a legal right to his Social Security benefits. Many workers assume that, if they pay Social Security taxes into the system, they have some sort of legal guarantee to the systemís benefits. The truth is exactly the opposite. It has long been law that there is no legal right to Social Security. In two important cases, Helvering v. Davis and Flemming v. Nestor, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Social Security taxes are simply taxes and convey no property or contractual rights to Social Security benefits.

http://www.cato.org/publications/social-secur...
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I would reject democracy when it interferes with limitations on government taking the rights of the people. Democracy can be two wolves in sheep's clothing asking the flock what is for dinner. Democracy in and of itself, while noble, does not always translate to just or welcomed outcomes nor does it stop people's rights- things that are not up for a vote, from being eroded.
So you like democracy just so long as your side wins.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Pops 29,149
Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 32 min kip 2,696
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 33 min d pantz 83
Do you agree with Texas protecting its own border? 54 min Buckeye at Birth 8
Family Says Murder-Suicide Victim Was Trying To... 2 hr Prince Harming 2
Little Boy Blue's Got a Job in Town 2 hr Flacid Phallis 9
Are PEDOphiles Born That Way 2 hr sidekick 18
•••
•••