|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
What's with the explanation point? Is that equivalent to murder and I don't understand that?
The point is, is the story even true? How do we know the widow found boxes of cash after her husband's death and who or why she told about it? And was it tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Or $2,500.00?
Also, they were married 35 years, not 35 months. Now something she did during those 35 years helped him acquire that wealth. Wasn't it 'theirs?'
It's almost impossible that his first marriage was that long. Who knows if the deceased even saw the children from his first marriage? They may have hated him.
Who knows if she had children before she married him that lived with him for 35 years and 'became' his children?
Did they have children together?
Unless you are a multi-millionaire, why should children inherit when the father dies if it leaves his wife of 35 years without financial support?
If you really want to ruin a child, tell them they have an inheritance in their future. Kill their need to do anything on their own. Let them reach 50 years old and looking at their watch waiting for you to die so they can begin to 'live.'
What it boils down to, for me, is who took care of and was most attentive to the deceased other than their spouse?
We came into this world with nothing and we will all take nothing with us. You want to leave something behind, teach morals, values and self-reliance. Tell them stories about your youth, family, your parents and grandparents.
Live it up and spend your money on yourself. In most cases, money not earned is spent frivously anyway.....might as well do it yourself. Leave your money to a charity.
The exception, for me, would be land. I believe land/real property, which might be a house, if it meant something to the deceased, should be cared for and tended to by their decendents. If the decendents have other plans for it, and it's known, The owner is better off preserving it into whatever easement they like and leaving it to whoever will follow their wishes. And an airtight preservation will do that.
Money is not evil. The love of money is.
I'm watching football so I'll respond later, but there are a couple of things you should know first ...

1. Schottenstein is an unfamiliar name to you ... but you should be readily acquainted with Big Lots, Value City, American Signature Furniture, Safe Auto Insurance, DSW Shoe Warehouse and American Eagle Outfitters ... those are (except Big Lots) all Schottenstein companies and it all started with their broken down liquidation store on Parsons Ave. Wise American is correct, I remember going down there as a kid and it was common to see a couple of the Schottensteins yelling at each other on the sales floor. The stories told here do seem to ring true.

2. Inheritance is a touchy issue. Many people make it on their own, but the real wealth is cultivated over generations. Schottenstein being one example, several local car dealership groups over 60 and even 100 years in the business. Farm families operate the same way as do construction and real estate companies.

Not saying pulling yourself up by the bootstraps is a bad thing, and you can become prosperous that way, but it's largely a myth. The easier way is to make big money is to grow what's already there. A successful family business is a great vehicle as a starting point ... hard to do as a wage slave.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

-tip- wrote:
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children.
-- Proverbs 13:22a
I love Proverbs.:-)

As for 'leaving or giving' someone anything, my Dad had the best words I have ever heard on that. "Once you have given someone something, it is theirs and not any of your business what they do with it."

His and my mother's land will always be agricultural and belong to someone from his bloodline as long as I have any control over it. But in the end, it will never love me back, so why torment myself over it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
But the old man had a blood tie to the kids--not the wife.
So apparent you've never been a wife or seen a 'husband and wife' team raise a family. My father died at a fairly young age, 56. NO ONE deserved a thing but my mother or even thought of it. And that's the way it was.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm watching football so I'll respond later, but there are a couple of things you should know first ...
I'm watching too. Really wanted Atlanta to win.

:-( No, I don't know the name, but I know the stores.

Be getting back with you.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I love Proverbs.:-)
As for 'leaving or giving' someone anything, my Dad had the best words I have ever heard on that. "Once you have given someone something, it is theirs and not any of your business what they do with it."
His and my mother's land will always be agricultural and belong to someone from his bloodline as long as I have any control over it. But in the end, it will never love me back, so why torment myself over it?
Respectful and gratifying.
Longheld family property is a special inheritance.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Who you wanna meet first, junior? My husband or my brother or my dogs?
Oh, and you are a whacko.
If I was a whacko, you would be having a very uncomfortable conversation with your boss tomorrow. You should really be more respectful of him and your family and stop putting their business on the internet.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm watching too. Really wanted Atlanta to win.
:-( No, I don't know the name, but I know the stores.
Be getting back with you.
They had a heavy hand in starting Big Lots, but I don't think they own it anymore.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
If I was a whacko, you would be having a very uncomfortable conversation with your boss tomorrow. You should really be more respectful of him and your family and stop putting their business on the internet.
You should be more respectful of this forum, and stop spewing your BS all over it.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? She was married to him for 35 years and took care of him. She may have worked and contributed $ too. But even if she did not work, her addition to that marriage of 35 years contributed to him accmulating whatever 'they' had. Perhaps she had no other financial support.
We also don't know if the money was acquired during, or before the marriage to the second wife.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
Did when I walked past the TV today about noon. I see your source is three days old.

Beautiful here today! 50 degrees, sunny. We walked and walked and used the metal detector. Hubby says is is going to drop like a rock overnight and be killer cold.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
They had a heavy hand in starting Big Lots, but I don't think they own it anymore.
The CEO, Fishman, has a losing track record. Before Big Lots, he was CEO at Rhodes Furniture and before that, Frank's Nursery.
Leftist bullying

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
It really shows that some on here are cowardly enough that they seek to cause financial damages to posters simply because they make right-wing posts.

Karl is gone, who is next?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Respectful and gratifying.
Longheld family property is a special inheritance.
Tip, it all belongs to God, I know that, but I swear this dirt is in my bones. Today my cousin and I were talking about putting a family cemetary here. But I'd have to have a few 'moved.' Dad has already been moved once. No big deal, it's not like it's "them." But the state and county would probably require mega regulations due to the EPA. Heck. I can operate an excavator.:-) Maybe I'll do it myself. But then my husband and I want to be cremated.

I really want to be set adrift on a raft on the river and someone shoot a flaming arrow into it. But I guess if I die other than on July 2nd or 3rd, they'll have to freeze me till July 4th to get away with it. LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Uncomfortable for whom? My boss often reads topix over my shoulder. And good luck getting through to him or me....

As far as respect, let me tell you something you sniveling little ball of snot; I have NEVER, in person, in writing, in any form of communication, including this forum or any other, in my business conversations nor my personal ones, revealed anything personal, identifying or embarassing about my employer, my friends or my family.

Quite the opposite, I am very proud and fond of them all and very discreet.

So maybe you should think about what threats you are posting before I have an attorney supeona your IP from the moderators. You will then know what an uncomfortable conversation is.....and it won't be with me or my employer.

Enough.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Leftist bullying wrote:
<quoted text>
It really shows that some on here are cowardly enough that they seek to cause financial damages to posters simply because they make right-wing posts.
Karl is gone, who is next?
Thanks for your support. I can handle this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Tip, it all belongs to God, I know that, but I swear this dirt is in my bones. Today my cousin and I were talking about putting a family cemetary here. But I'd have to have a few 'moved.' Dad has already been moved once. No big deal, it's not like it's "them." But the state and county would probably require mega regulations due to the EPA. Heck. I can operate an excavator.:-) Maybe I'll do it myself. But then my husband and I want to be cremated.
I really want to be set adrift on a raft on the river and someone shoot a flaming arrow into it. But I guess if I die other than on July 2nd or 3rd, they'll have to freeze me till July 4th to get away with it. LOL
I've always preferred family cemeteries. But like private family plots, these days, the EPA would be all over your floating pyre...LOL.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be more respectful of this forum, and stop spewing your BS all over it.
Thanks, Tip. Appreciate the vote of confidence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Big Lots, but I LOVED Value City. They closed the store here about 5 to 7 years ago. I think I was the last customer in there. I found things in there that I've never seen anywhere else. I was an emotional wreck. ;-)
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Uncomfortable for whom? My boss often reads topix over my shoulder. And good luck getting through to him or me....
As far as respect, let me tell you something you sniveling little ball of snot; I have NEVER, in person, in writing, in any form of communication, including this forum or any other, in my business conversations nor my personal ones, revealed anything personal, identifying or embarassing about my employer, my friends or my family.
Quite the opposite, I am very proud and fond of them all and very discreet.
So maybe you should think about what threats you are posting before I have an attorney supeona your IP from the moderators. You will then know what an uncomfortable conversation is.....and it won't be with me or my employer.
Enough.
You really don't have any idea what a "threat" is, or isn't, do you?

woof

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
We also don't know if the money was acquired during, or before the marriage to the second wife.
Well, Tony, either way. They were husband and wife 35 years. Nothing is more sickening to me then the 'bereaved survivors' picking over the skeleton. And half the time it's the one who was least attentive to the deceased. Keeps the lawyers busy.

God Bless the child that's got his own.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In Ferguson, Missouri, different kinds of prote... 6 min They cannot kill ... 16
Debate: Ferguson - Columbus, OH 19 min Anonymous of Indy 74
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 27 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,256
Welcome to Columbus: Ohio stinks for women 33 min Cordwainer Trout 3
Morning Roundup: Sears could close even more st... 38 min Duke for Mayor 2
Need help 45 min Duke for Mayor 2
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr Liar 2,275
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 2 hr Neutral Party 233

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000