|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the thing's I've always had problems with is delegating. The kind of work I do is just as easy to do myself than to write it out and have someone else do it .. I haven;t had an assistant in 5 years.
I'm thinking of hiring a college student to help me out as my gopher just because I always seem to get my projects up to the 90% level and then they sit. The stuff I don't want to do (and shouldn't have to do anyway) like put things in binders, mail it out, etc. never seems to get done and things pile up.
But it's hard delegating for a variety of reasons. One thing that drives me crazy is when people are sloppy about stapling things together and putting them in a file. I'm a little anal about stuff like that.
You know, there are things that you will never be able to delegate.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have 'binders full of women?' LOL
Don't be hard on yourself. The right assistant will come along sooner or later. It has nothing to do with you being hard to work with. It's not anal to keep things done well at work. It's correct. Sooner or later, five years from now, you're going to get a call and you SHOULD be able to put the caller on hold and go grab the correct, complete file easily.
Once you have the right person, you'll be able to delegate easily. Just remember you have to keep them informed. I haven't found one that can read minds.
Our office mail goes in and out easily. You know what I do for my personal mail? I have this tiny, old, country post office located in the tiny, old country store. Never a line and the post lady is the sweetest thing in the world. I hope they never close that one. The PO itself is about 8' X 6'.
Well, that was kind of my thinking. The kind of assistant I need is mostly for secretarial type stuff. A law clerk wouldn't be interested because what they would be doing would mostly be low level. On the other hand, I need someone with pretty good language skills and part time AND someone I can 1099 (I hate paperwork)... so I was thinking student? English major with an interest in law school perhaps?
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have 'binders full of women?' LOL
Don't be hard on yourself. The right assistant will come along sooner or later. It has nothing to do with you being hard to work with. It's not anal to keep things done well at work. It's correct.
I'm actually very easy to work with so long as you have a good sense of humor. I don't do well with women who are wound too tight.

That said, there's nothing that drives me nuttier than when someone takes staples paper together, hole punches them and sticks them in a folder ....... AND ALL THE EDGES AREN'T LINED UP!!!

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BUMP THE EDGES DOWN ON THE DESK A FEW TIMES SO THEY'RE ALL STRAIGHT?

DRIVES ME NUTS!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S SOMETHING GOING OUT TO A CLIENT!!!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm actually very easy to work with so long as you have a good sense of humor. I don't do well with women who are wound too tight.
That said, there's nothing that drives me nuttier than when someone takes staples paper together, hole punches them and sticks them in a folder ....... AND ALL THE EDGES AREN'T LINED UP!!!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BUMP THE EDGES DOWN ON THE DESK A FEW TIMES SO THEY'RE ALL STRAIGHT?
DRIVES ME NUTS!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S SOMETHING GOING OUT TO A CLIENT!!!
You think that's being anal????? It damn well better be done that way, whether it's leaving the office or not.

You're not doing anyone any favors if you let them slide with inferior work. They may not just not know any better. When I hire someone I tell them not to worry about making a mistake. The only way not to make a mistake is to not do anything and we can correct all mistakes. But I also tell them there are no stupid questions. If I correct them once on something, and they don't 'get it' or are unreliable, I let them go. And for six months everything they do crosses my desk.

Make sure they know what a 1099 means. You'd be surprised how many people don't.

I love humor at work. Or anywhere. Like I said, it's just finding the right person. Single mother's are hard working and want to learn and improve themselves. I found students drink too much the night before, are only looking towards the weekend and know the jobs not going to last. But there are always exceptions to both.

Communicating professionally, and warmly and firmly but seeming to be accomodating while not giving the information or saying 'no' is an art. Getting the information you want, without asking, is an art.

You'll get the right one. I went through 5. And I was the one who hired them.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that was kind of my thinking. The kind of assistant I need is mostly for secretarial type stuff. A law clerk wouldn't be interested because what they would be doing would mostly be low level. On the other hand, I need someone with pretty good language skills and part time AND someone I can 1099 (I hate paperwork)... so I was thinking student? English major with an interest in law school perhaps?
You don't need a law clerk. I know top attonrey's personal assistants that can run circles and research mountains over law clerks or paralegals. And they make more.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't read people very well. My crush is on Catman Dave. Although I do miss Karl.
What galls the hell out of you is that I am not a created character, just another woman who works and happens to have a unique position
A line you would not 'choose to cross?' Who are you kidding?
Stop fretting. I've blocked anymore PM's from the wench.
Now if you idiots think I am going to reveal anything that can connect you with my employer, or me.....you have a long wait ahead of you.
I might post my wedding photo one of these days. But then...how would you know it was actually me???
If your story is true, I bet I know who you work for. See what happens when you talk about yourself so much on the internet and smart people pay attention to what you write?
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>The bailout simply postponed the inevitable.
Would you prefer a shot of penicillin for your VD issue or no shot at all? Inevitably, the disease will eat you internally, but with the shot it brings some relief!
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Columbus State students would be the best choice for your 'old world' eastern European tight ass pockets. My dad was groomed by old man Schottenstein until he got sick. He only kept enough in the bank to make payroll and pay bills. The rest was found in dusty shoe boxes by my step-mother when he died. After being married to him for 35 years, do you think she shared the fortune with his first wife's children? Hell no!

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Columbus State students would be the best choice for your 'old world' eastern European tight ass pockets. My dad was groomed by old man Schottenstein until he got sick. He only kept enough in the bank to make payroll and pay bills. The rest was found in dusty shoe boxes by my step-mother when he died. After being married to him for 35 years, do you think she shared the fortune with his first wife's children? Hell no!
The older generation Schottenstein's were legendary in the South End--perhaps Bob remembers from his childhood.

Mrs. Schottenstein in her fur coat coming around to collect rent on some properties that ought to have been condemned and torn down. I believe that a few of that generation passed into semi-senility and were a bit of an embarrassment to the younger folks.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Columbus State students would be the best choice for your 'old world' eastern European tight ass pockets.
Not a bad idea, actually.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

WiseAmerican wrote:
After being married to him for 35 years, do you think she shared the fortune with his first wife's children? Hell no!
Actually very consistent with what I preach ... blood is thicker than water!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually very consistent with what I preach ... blood is thicker than water!
Then the old man's boxes of cash should have gone to his progeny, rather than wife, or second wife--shouldn't it?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the old man's boxes of cash should have gone to his progeny, rather than wife, or second wife--shouldn't it?
No.

Only way it gets to his progeny under those circumstances is by a valid will, or will contest action.

woof

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Only way it gets to his progeny under those circumstances is by a valid will, or will contest action.
woof
Wasn't speaking legally, but by Bob's blood is thicker than water dictum.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't speaking legally, but by Bob's blood is thicker than water dictum.
I'll bet that if one of Bob's children were to marry a jew and have children, science would discover an exciting new blood thinner in Columbus.

woof
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet that if one of Bob's children were to marry a jew and have children, science would discover an exciting new blood thinner in Columbus.
woof
Let's just say there might be dead ones popping up in and around Columbus.

And's let's also say that someone might not be getting the inheritance they expected.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was that the second wife had no relation to the first set of kids, thus she felt no obligation to them. That underscores the importance of family ties.

Bet she didn't screw her set of kids.
Enzyte Bob

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
And's let's also say that someone might not be getting the inheritance they expected.
I take that back.

My kid would be the one dead.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
And here I expected you to be claiming it could never happen.

You know, like the incidence of people who are gay in your family.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was that the second wife had no relation to the first set of kids, thus she felt no obligation to them. That underscores the importance of family ties.
Bet she didn't screw her set of kids.
But the old man had a blood tie to the kids--not the wife.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,361 - 2,380 of7,954
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 5 min Pale Rider 2,687
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly |... (Dec '10) 9 min foster 48
Syphilis cases on the rise again in Columbus 11 min d pantaloni 5
A guy 11 min Tuesday July 10 2014 4
Is Michelle Obama a Transsexual? 17 min Tuesday July 10 2014 26
Michelle Obama a/k/a Michael LaVaughn Robinson 24 min Tuesday July 10 2014 7
Cologix Adds 2.7 Acres to Expand Columbus Data ... 29 min Big Johnson 1
•••
•••