Budget cuts force police dog to retir...

Budget cuts force police dog to retire | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 23 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 21, 2010, titled Budget cuts force police dog to retire | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Recently, when a Lancaster police officer became suspicious about what was in a vehicle he had pulled over, he called for backup.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tom the traveler

Grayling, MI

#1 Dec 21, 2010
Does it really take 40 dollars a day (365 times 40 equals 14,600) to take care of a police dog.

How much training can you spend on a dog.

I think tuition at OSU is about 12,000 per year. Tuition at Harvard is about 30,000 per year.
John

Johnstown, OH

#2 Dec 21, 2010
Tom.. think again maybe a OSU branch might be 12,000... add books.. etc... is well over.. and yes factor in vet bills and the such 40 bucks a day sounds right. And IMO better spent then some other things that government spends on.
Macktrapper

Newark, OH

#3 Dec 21, 2010
If the officer is going to pay for the dogs care out of his own pocket, the dog might as well go along for the ride on the job, if he is that valuable.
buckeye7

Lewisburg, OH

#4 Dec 21, 2010
I have had animals all my life, and granted they weren't working on the force, but how many times do you take an animal to the vet? Heart worm medicine is what,$30/month. Does the dog have a salary or benefits? I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the 15k. I assume most of it's in training?

I do agree what you say though, John, that it's better spent then some other things that government spends on.
woodcolumbus

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 21, 2010
Did the dog retire with a six figure income and 100% of his health care paid for life like the typical state employee?
james

Dublin, OH

#7 Dec 21, 2010
A DOG COSTS OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH TO FEED?!!!!!!! Phalen, as usual, is blowing smoke. His drug program is also a scam. He was told the DARE program was less than worthless but he stated that the school employees like it so he was sticking to it. I assume his dog visited schools to sniff out drugs so why were the kids so keen on having the dog there? And this guy calls himself a Christian.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#9 Dec 21, 2010
I for one think this story is sad the dog was providing a service to the community that humans cannot provide. We cannot sniff out drugs and explosives. This dog protects people and brings joy to the community. He helps kids have positive interactions with the police at a young age which is important. Not to mention that the dogs life would be happier in service than sitting around the house all day. You would think that they could save this dogs job by cutting back the money spent on training and care. I have to imagine the dog could have the same standard of living and service for half as much. If they started a fundraiser to keep the dog working I would gladly donate.
Ohio Resident

Hayesville, OH

#10 Dec 21, 2010
I think this was a mistake for Fairfield County. They aren't paying the dog, or paying healthcare...one of the more efficient law enforcement team members out there are canines!
Deputy Dog

Sandusky, OH

#11 Dec 21, 2010
It is sad to lose this valuable resource but budget cuts are what they are. The deputies can call the State Troopers if they need a dog.
Resident of many years

Delaware, OH

#12 Dec 21, 2010
Sheriff, I think you could ask for donations and collection the $15,000 in a few short weeks.

I would be glad to donate to keep this. These dogs are saving lives.

How about it folks. Do I get any takers?

Any takers?
tired

Pickerington, OH

#13 Dec 21, 2010
Joe K, do you have a job that you pay into a retirement for? So that you can retire and have money to do so? So do the "stiffs" that come to your house at 2 o'clock in the morning, or Saturday afternoon or Christmas Day. You know, the days and times you don't have to work and that you can enjoy with your families. I'm tired of people bashing law enforcement every chance they get. Think they get paid too much or have too big a retirement? Put on the uniform and do what they do.
The Truthteller

United States

#14 Dec 21, 2010
Can't the forfieted assets of drug dealers be used to pay for the canine unit?
Mike

Reynoldsburg, OH

#15 Dec 21, 2010
Maybe, if the union got out of the way, they could keep the dog without paying an officer OT to pet the dog at home.
Read the Facts

United States

#16 Dec 21, 2010
I'm not surprised at Arno costing a lot. The type of training it needs is specialized (sniffing out drugs, tracking people, responding to every command without hesitation)... Dogs, just like people, need refresher courses. Though that price tag does sound extravagant.
How about getting rid of some police officers who just sit in their cars, motors running, reading a book? Or just sit there talking with construction workers all day long? Sounds like Arno is a much better use of resources.
Boozehound

Lima, OH

#17 Dec 21, 2010
This guy just wanted an expensive, well trained dog. He should reimburse the city if he is going to keep it.
Bays

Columbus, OH

#18 Dec 21, 2010
Boozehound wrote:
This guy just wanted an expensive, well trained dog. He should reimburse the city if he is going to keep it.
Apparently, you have never had a pet.
u serious clark

Hilliard, OH

#19 Dec 21, 2010
Boozehound wrote:
typical idiot: posting either without reading the story or lacking any fundamental reading comprehension. i'll help you out and clear things up. the canine belongs to fairfield county sheriff's department. the story mentions a lancaster police officer requesting the county's canine for assistance on a traffic stop. extremely easy reading that a six year old could understand. also, the handler, who is a deputy, will assume the financial burden of both feeding the dog and vet bills. it is going to cost the deputy money to take the canine in. it is normal for canine handlers to keep the dog if for any reason it is taken out of service. this includes mandatory retirement or budget issues. in summary you sir, are an idiot and merry christmas.
Quit Wasting Tax Money

Columbus, OH

#20 Dec 21, 2010
Resident of many years wrote:
Sheriff, I think you could ask for donations and collection the $15,000 in a few short weeks.
I would be glad to donate to keep this. These dogs are saving lives.
How about it folks. Do I get any takers?
Any takers?
What is the breakdown of the $15K?

Before I would donate, I'd like to know why it costs $15K/yr to keep him.
ramseyjames

Bellefontaine, OH

#21 Dec 21, 2010
$15,000 a year for a DOG! If this isn't a joke then what is! There is no reason this cop can't use this dog while patroling if he chooses to, and it should cost the taxpayers nothing! The DOG is not a COP, he is a DOG!
Macktrapper

Newark, OH

#22 Dec 21, 2010
Concerning the cost of the training of the dog - It just occurred to me how many times I have seen the Licking County K9 units at the Hebron Industrial Park training the dogs. I'm sure most of the cost is the man hours the officers devote to this training time, that they could be spending out on patrol. It usually involves a K9 unit and several other officers and they do it almost weekly, so it does run into a lot of money. Usually any working animal has to be used a lot for them to be at their best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vladimir Putin arrested at a Florida Publix 10 min Posting as myself 1
Colin Kaepernick continues to sit through US na... 17 min Seriouslady 17
Hillary champions women? No thanks! 1 hr Seriouslady 6
Trump the Liar 1 hr Pale Rider 953
What Is Wrong With Chicago? 1 hr Nobody 7
Should the GOP cut its loses? 1 hr Duke for Mayor 998
News White students disproportionately use Ohio scho... 2 hr UTrashy 20

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance