Attorneys: 'Agony and terror' await O...

Attorneys: 'Agony and terror' await Ohio killer

There are 81 comments on the News Herald story from Jan 7, 2014, titled Attorneys: 'Agony and terror' await Ohio killer. In it, News Herald reports that:

This arctic blast we're enduring isn't nearly as cold as my heart as I pass out final grades for... COLUMBUS - Ohio's untried execution method, the first of its kind in the nation, will cause the condemned killer of a pregnant woman 'agony and terror' as he struggles to breathe, attorneys trying to stop the execution argued in federal court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Herald.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Linda

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 8, 2014
This is why the death penalty is appropriate.

The killer deserves "agony and terror" just like this poor woman experienced right before she died.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 8, 2014
Linda wrote:
The killer deserves "agony and terror" just like this poor woman experienced right before she died.
How do you know what she experienced, were you there?
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#4 Jan 8, 2014
Geez, should my heart bleed for the poor man? Wonder what the woman and baby would be doing now if they had got the right to grow up and grow old together. Nobody will ever know, will they?

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#5 Jan 9, 2014
Just hang him! Should have done it 25 years ago!

“Baby, it's cold outside! ”

Since: Apr 10

BLOCKHEADS!

#8 Jan 11, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. We need to have executions in under a year from conviction.
I agree, but on the other hand, with DNA testing,many people have been found innocent after serving many years incarcerated.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#9 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
Public executions should be swift and televised. You want to appeal? Have all the appeals completed in six months. Are you concerned about your fate in 18, 20 or 25 years from today? Well neither are criminals, that's why the death penalty is not effective.
The what do you suggest the relatives of people like these should do once their loved ones are wrongfully executed by the state?

http://www.ohio.com/news/exonerated-in-killin...

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#11 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This case is from 1988. We should only execute people with proof positive evidence that they committed the murder(s). This is 2014 and we have DNA and various other advanced technology that helps guard against false convictions. Besides, we don't know the outcome of this case either.
http://staging.recordpub.com/news%20local/201...

We DO indeed know the outcome of the case. One was acquitted after a retrial. The state declined to pursue prosecution of the other after that.

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#12 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This case is from 1988. We should only execute people with proof positive evidence that they committed the murder(s). This is 2014 and we have DNA and various other advanced technology that helps guard against false convictions. Besides, we don't know the outcome of this case either.
DNA evidence wasn't in use in 1988 at the level it is now. DNA evidence was in its early infancy then.

Still, read the guy's clemency report. Bone-chilling. I remember this guy's story. I lived in the Dayton area, this guy did his nasty deeds just west of Montgomery County. All over the media at the time. He definitely did the crime. Clemency report here:

http://www.drc.ohio.gov/public/Dennis%20McGui...
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#13 Jan 11, 2014
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but on the other hand, with DNA testing,many people have been found innocent after serving many years incarcerated.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
How are you damned if you don't?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#14 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
Public executions should be swift and televised. You want to appeal? Have all the appeals completed in six months. Are you concerned about your fate in 18, 20 or 25 years from today? Well neither are criminals, that's why the death penalty is not effective.
Never, in the history of mankind, has the death penalty proven to be a deterrent to crime.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#18 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way to know if something works is to try it. I say do it my way for about five years and you would see a reduction of murders in our state. It's unfortunate we have liberal judges that would never allow it to be done my way, but I believe it would work out very well.
England used to hang pickpockets. The favorite place for pickpockets to ply their craft was the crowd attending the hangings of pickpockets.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way to know if something works is to try it. I say do it my way for about five years and you would see a reduction of murders in our state. It's unfortunate we have liberal judges that would never allow it to be done my way, but I believe it would work out very well.
Wouldn't the reduction in murders be balanced out by the increase in executions of innocent people?

Anyway judges do not make the laws.

Trayvonius Martinez

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#20 Jan 11, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Never, in the history of mankind, has the death penalty proven to be a deterrent to crime.
It's a 100% deterrent to recidivism.

Trayvonius Martinez

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#21 Jan 11, 2014
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway judges do not make the laws.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#22 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's unfortunate we have liberal judges that would never allow it to be done my way, but I believe it would work out very well.
Scared Straight programs HAVE a history, and statistically they don't prove themselves to be effective. The statistics themselves appear to be politically non-biased, meaning--many people have criticized them independently of their political affiliation. Scared Straight has been around since at least the 1980s, maybe earlier.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/open-g...

http://www.reclaimingfutures.org/blog/juvenil...

http://www.djj.state.fl.us/docs/research2/sca... -- even the state of Florida Juvenile Justice system is seriously questioning it.

The psychological principal behind these programs are to humiliate, tear down, and offend the offender. I don't think that's really effective. These programs do not show young offenders the positive--how to build a productive, positive, contributing life. They only show the negative of their current actions, not the positive outcomes of more positive behavior. I have to question the popularity of these programs based on a TV series. Makes for good TV, but I don't think it makes for good sense to reduce juvenile crime.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#23 Jan 11, 2014
Trayvonius Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! !!
Thought that to myself to that statement. The beej hadn't considered that judges do use precedent...

Trayvonius Martinez

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#25 Jan 11, 2014
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought that to myself to that statement. The beej hadn't considered that judges do use precedent...
If judges didn't make laws, we'd be spared all the poofs pretending to be "married" in a dozen states.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#27 Jan 11, 2014
Trayvonius Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>It's a 100% deterrent to recidivism.
It's also a 100% deterrent to justice when we kill the innocent.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#28 Jan 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, judges do make the laws. If they deem a law or practice is unconstitutional, the practice stops.
Years ago some Arabs took over a closed down Dairy Mart near my home. I support small business and did my convenient shopping there.
One night I walked to the store and the police were outside. Somebody walked into the store and took some packs of cigarettes and walked out. Talking to the clerk, the police instructed him that if the thief came back, give them a call and they would kick him out of the store.
He was 18 years old and told me his grandmother was concerned about his new life in the US. Because she knew how to read English, he sent her our local paper.
He told me she wrote back very concerned. She stated that we have more theft in our suburb of Cleveland in one week than they had in the entire middle-east in a years time. I asked him if that was true, and he concurred.
He said that where he came from, they didn't have stores, but outside vendors. They sort of had picnic benches where customers could rest. He said that if a woman left her purse on a bench unattended, people would walk on the other side of the street to be nowhere near it.
Where he came from, if a person was even suspected of theft, the police would cut off his hand, and I don't mean in a hospital. If caught a second time, the other hand was cut off. There was no third time he said.
A strong enough deterrent to crime works every time. That's why I say if we had televised executions very close to the event of the crime instead of 20 years later, a lot of potential murderers would think twice about controlling their anger.
Did he tell you about the trials they had there?

You sound like you have become a strong advocate for Sharia Law. How things change.

Trayvonius Martinez

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#29 Jan 11, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
It's also a 100% deterrent to justice when we kill the innocent.
Ask Willie Horton's victims about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hi im Holly Hylton Your Local Racist Starbucks ... 58 min Anti Black Bias USA 91
Syracuse University Whitey Racists Gone Wild 3 hr Orange Trump Whit... 7
Black Hero Stops the White Madman 3 hr Jorge the Illegal 7
The Comey Interview 3 hr White Fangs 179
Pigs Break Arm Waffle Woman 4 Fifty Cents 3 hr Jorge the Illegal 3
Sean Hannity 4 hr Let Freedom Ring 100
Anniversary: Almost 4 yrs. in the afterlife 5 hr GlitterSucks 1

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages