Republicanism
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#1 Dec 23, 2013
How did the party of Lincoln become known as a southern racist movement of white Christian males?
http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/how_the_gop_b...
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#2 Dec 23, 2013
Lack of education and knowledge.

Republicans are noted for being the party of "No" because they realize that entitlements cannot be sustained and more so than Dems are fiscally responsible, whereas Democrats use entitlements to control the lives and votes of the ignorant masses that believe that they go on forever and spending limits mean nothing when it comes to controlling your life and their positions.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#3 Dec 23, 2013
Conservative wrote:
Lack of education and knowledge.
Republicans are noted for being the party of "No" because they realize that entitlements cannot be sustained and more so than Dems are fiscally responsible, whereas Democrats use entitlements to control the lives and votes of the ignorant masses that believe that they go on forever and spending limits mean nothing when it comes to controlling your life and their positions.
Then why are the 10 poorest states located in the red southern states?

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/22/...
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#5 Dec 24, 2013
WA got beat up on AA, now one of my favorite lib's anger is pointed towards Republicans. I will join you in my frustration of the party. Once an alternative to tax and spend Democrats now both parties overtax and overspend.

I am a conservative and will vote accordingly. For example, the past two Presidential elections did not offer balanced choices. Republicans chose moderates who as the results indicate did not generate enough interest.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#6 Dec 24, 2013
wiseAfricanAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Then why are the 10 poorest states located in the red southern states?
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/22/...
This is where you get into trouble WA. The south is doing just fine. The north is much more developed as that is where our industrial base was located. However, growth in US population has shown significant migration to the south and with it has come jobs and wealth. FL, GA, TN and TX have all grown significantly in my lifetime where MI, NY and other northern states have lost residents.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#8 Dec 24, 2013
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where you get into trouble WA. The south is doing just fine. The north is much more developed as that is where our industrial base was located. However, growth in US population has shown significant migration to the south and with it has come jobs and wealth. FL, GA, TN and TX have all grown significantly in my lifetime where MI, NY and other northern states have lost residents.
If you want to call a $7.76 an hour job at Tyson Chicken packing plant, a stock and cashier position at Family Dollar or Piggly Wiggly grocery down south an economic boom, you're more than welcome to state that claim. I don't think that "wealth" is being created for the people who work those jobs down there. The stock holders are doing excellent, I'll give you that. The" wealth" is in their portfolios. The retirees are flocking south due to the cheaper living conditions and warmer weather. They're certainly are not going down south to box frozen chicken legs.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#9 Dec 25, 2013
More of your socialist/Marxist crap! You are trying to say that market wages aren't good enough while others make $ in the market. That is capitalism and I would suggest you get a clue instead of thinking that by paying someone more $ to work at a job that requires little skill or education is going to make everything better.
Go ahead and give someone at Tyson $20 an hour. And then try to feed your family when a $5 chicken costs $15. Like manufacturing several years ago, foreign competitors will come in with the $5 chicken and your $20 an hour plant closes. Like it or not, competition and free market is the way of life.
Whining about it won't solve your problem. A change of attitude is needed.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#10 Dec 25, 2013
WA, Why not pay everyone the same wage? Whether you're a doctor or work in fast food. See what kind of quality you get with your idealist approach. Everyone will be sick but don't think your burger will be cheaper or taste better.

Talent and education coupled with demand provides you with the opportunity of success. Despite your desire, equality of outcome cannot be legislated unless you want to bring poverty to all.

Interesting discussion. I understand what you want but disagree with your approach. What is your educational background (field of study)?

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#11 Dec 25, 2013
Neutral Party wrote:
WA, Why not pay everyone the same wage? Whether you're a doctor or work in fast food. See what kind of quality you get with your idealist approach. Everyone will be sick but don't think your burger will be cheaper or taste better.
Talent and education coupled with demand provides you with the opportunity of success. Despite your desire, equality of outcome cannot be legislated unless you want to bring poverty to all.
Interesting discussion. I understand what you want but disagree with your approach. What is your educational background (field of study)?
Common sense, fairness, and the school of hard knocks. What's your educational background? You base so much on someone's college attainment. We see exactly where this country has gone with all the so- called best and brightest college educated dumbbells, that don't have a lick of common sense or sense of fair rewards for hard work.

The ass holes who're sitting on their asses giving orders are the reason why so many woes are in our economy.
Jamie Dimon is just one example of an educated clown who allows 6 billion dollars to vanish from Chase Bank and still retains his job! If a 10.50 an hour bank teller loses one dollar her ass is out the door, and probably on the way to jail! This country is ass backwards!

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#12 Dec 25, 2013
wiseAfricanAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> If you want to call a $7.76 an hour job at Tyson Chicken packing plant, a stock and cashier position at Family Dollar or Piggly Wiggly grocery down south an economic boom, you're more than welcome to state that claim. I don't think that "wealth" is being created for the people who work those jobs down there. The stock holders are doing excellent, I'll give you that. The" wealth" is in their portfolios. The retirees are flocking south due to the cheaper living conditions and warmer weather. They're certainly are not going down south to box frozen chicken legs.
Not so fast, WA.

It's not just retirees moving south. There are a LOT of Fortune 500 firms down south. The only reason this post caught my attention was I knew NCR moved out of Dayton into Atlanta a few years back, taking a large number of jobs with them...NONE of which were poorly paid jobs. A lot of programmers, sales executives, product/service developers, etc. left--jobs that paid extremely high five digits through high six digit salaries.

Had to look into this, and found the list of Fortune 500 companies. Look at it, how many Fortune 500 firms are you finding down south? I lost count.

Yes, some pay lower wages to the line workers (Walmart, Home Depot). Many do not, many are high-tech firms or banking (Dell, BellSouth). There are large medical firms and communications firms...

I don't know if you have a valid argument that wealth is not being created for the folks working down there...yeah, lots of wealth being made for stockholders, but let's face it--they are investing in the firms and their "wealth is on paper" (stocks), they are getting a return each year. The value of the stocks is used to support those companies--investments, salaries, etc. Firms are moving south (except to Mississippi) for a lot of reasons, but they aren't finding any problem surviving down there or finding people to employ.

Here is the Fortune 500 list:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortun...

Think the new one should be published shortly for the new year.

Here's some good reading:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2013/0...

They aren't packing frozen chicken for Tyson, for the most part, down south.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#13 Dec 25, 2013
There is rich in every poor state in the country. There are poor in every rich state of the country.
Same goes worldwide. There are rich and poor in every district of every country of the world.
There are rich and poor on every continent of the world except Antarctica.
It appears to all of we who know, your class warfare is showing poster 1, 3, 8 and 11 but that's OK because there are beaucoup of you leftists not only in America but worldwide.
Hate the red southern states, don't ya, racist!!!!
How about the red plains and western states, hate them also or just the red Confederate states?
How about the red state of Inidana? Hate it as much as red South Carolina?
A black worker at BMW in Greer, South Carolina makes as much as a white worker there. Same at Mercedes near Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
WA, the black Marxist!
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#14 Dec 25, 2013
wiseAfricanAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Common sense, fairness, and the school of hard knocks. What's your educational background? You base so much on someone's college attainment. We see exactly where this country has gone with all the so- called best and brightest college educated dumbbells, that don't have a lick of common sense or sense of fair rewards for hard work.
The ass holes who're sitting on their asses giving orders are the reason why so many woes are in our economy.
Jamie Dimon is just one example of an educated clown who allows 6 billion dollars to vanish from Chase Bank and still retains his job! If a 10.50 an hour bank teller loses one dollar her ass is out the door, and probably on the way to jail! This country is ass backwards!
My, my aren't we sensitive. You're being defensive for no reason. I am asking because you seem to be lacking knowledge of both history and economics.

The school of hard knocks is a tough job but doesn't pay well. BTW, your reference to assholes sitting on their ass is again more of a statement on your attitude than your abilities. Hate of achievers is a caddy trait, shallow and shows lack of character. Perhaps if you put your anger in a more positive manner you too would achieve.

I can reference many events where incompetents kept their jobs despite terminable events. Most recently, the POTUS and Secretary of HHS have proven they should lose their jobs for lying and failure to meet critical deadlines that are affecting millions of citizens. Due to their incompetence they have also changed mandates and key dates written in the law. Another example would be Clinton's sexual acts on a subordinate. Sad to say , but not all are held to the same standards, especially in politics.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#15 Dec 26, 2013
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where you get into trouble WA. The south is doing just fine. The north is much more developed as that is where our industrial base was located. However, growth in US population has shown significant migration to the south and with it has come jobs and wealth. FL, GA, TN and TX have all grown significantly in my lifetime where MI, NY and other northern states have lost residents.
All figures sources from US census data, 2012 data set reflected

Percentage of persons below poverty line, v/s national average.
FL: 15.6/14.9
GA: 17.4/14.9
TN: 17.3/14.9
TX: 17.4/14.9

I suppose the wealth isn't in any hurry to the South?

Per capita income by state, v/s national average.
FL:$26,451 $28,051
GA:$25,309 $28,051
TN:$24,294 $28,051
TX:$25,809 $28,051

Though this may largely be due to educational outcomes?
Population with a university degree of a BA or higher, against the national average.

FL: 26.2% 28.5%
GA: 27.8% 28.5%
TN: 23.5% 28.5%
TX: 26.3% 28.5%

The South does seem to be roundly defeating the rest of the country on figures for teenage births but the rest of the data shows it lagging far behind the more developed parts of the nation, sadly.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#16 Dec 26, 2013
I remember living in Dayton 2007-2009 and seeing the last of 4 auto plants close, followed by DHL and then NCR. The Daily News ran stories on the abandoned houses and city blight. Dayton was dying and now has only the AF base. I believe a similar yet worse outcome is going on in Detroit.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#17 Dec 26, 2013
Neutral Party wrote:
I remember living in Dayton 2007-2009 and seeing the last of 4 auto plants close, followed by DHL and then NCR. The Daily News ran stories on the abandoned houses and city blight. Dayton was dying and now has only the AF base. I believe a similar yet worse outcome is going on in Detroit.
The really great thing about living in the information age is that we're now able to quickly and easily do research to better support, articulate or to challenge our beliefs and feelings. If you would like some pointers about where you might want to look for data on indicators of financial health of an area I'm happy to help point you in the right direction.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#18 Dec 26, 2013
wiseAfricanAmerican wrote:
How did the party of Lincoln become known as a southern racist movement of white Christian males?
http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/how_the_gop_b...
Try explaining this one!

Poorest US Cities Are Democrat Controlled

City, State,% of People Below the Poverty Level (pop. 250,000+)
(U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007)

Detroit , MI 32.5%
Buffalo , NY 29.9%
Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
Cleveland , OH 27.0%
Miami , FL 26.9%
St. Louis , MO 26.8%
El Paso , TX 26.4%
Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
Newark , NJ 24.2%

Democrat Party Rule in these Cities
- See more at: http://www.therightperspective.org/2009/08/23...

Democrat Party Rule in these Cities

Detroit, MI hasn’t elected a Republican mayor since 1961
Buffalo, NY hasn’t elected one since 1954
Cincinnati, OH …since 1984
Cleveland, OH …since 1989
Miami, FL has never had a Republican mayor
St. Louis, MO ….since 1949
El Paso, TX has never had a Republican mayor
Milwaukee, WI …since 1908
Philadelphia, PA …since 1952
Newark, NJ …since 1907

- See more at: http://www.therightperspective.org/2009/08/23...
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#19 Dec 26, 2013
Y'all keep your figures, I'll go with my facts.
I have kin all over Virginia and West Virginia, all those below retirement age are working.
I have kin in such places as Wolfeboro, NH, Vancouver WA, St Petersburg Fl, Wyandotte, KS, Greensboro, NC, Hattiesburg MS, Ashland City, TN, Florence, SC among other places and all below retirement age are working.
A nephew in Honolulu HI has his own health food store.
A cousin in Soldotna, Alaska, both her and her husband are working.
Why all the unemployment? Possibly people on the take, the dole.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#20 Dec 26, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
The really great thing about living in the information age is that we're now able to quickly and easily do research to better support, articulate or to challenge our beliefs and feelings. If you would like some pointers about where you might want to look for data on indicators of financial health of an area I'm happy to help point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't require help from libs with their head up their ass. Any data you look at shows the most liberal POTUS ever has been a dismal failure.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#21 Dec 26, 2013
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
My, my aren't we sensitive. You're being defensive for no reason. I am asking because you seem to be lacking knowledge of both history and economics.
The school of hard knocks is a tough job but doesn't pay well. BTW, your reference to assholes sitting on their ass is again more of a statement on your attitude than your abilities. Hate of achievers is a caddy trait, shallow and shows lack of character. Perhaps if you put your anger in a more positive manner you too would achieve.
I can reference many events where incompetents kept their jobs despite terminable events. Most recently, the POTUS and Secretary of HHS have proven they should lose their jobs for lying and failure to meet critical deadlines that are affecting millions of citizens. Due to their incompetence they have also changed mandates and key dates written in the law. Another example would be Clinton's sexual acts on a subordinate. Sad to say , but not all are held to the same standards, especially in politics.
I never differentiated the white college degree asses who've f' ked this country over from the Black college degree asses. I was making a tangible statement..it's the people who're not in the trenches that have solid college attainment, that are making decisions that are boneheaded and short- sighted and is destroying this country. We have been led to believe that having a college degree somehow puts one in a position of such influence that they do not have to listen to rank n file who 9 out of 10 times, has the correct ideal or course of action that would remedy a problem or situation. That's what I'm saying. If any Viet Nam vets are on here, they know exactly what I'm saying. The US were flying in fresh faced college educated dummies, who had no clue on how to conduct a war campaign, giving orders contrary to the direct in- field swinging dick soldiers who knew what was needed. The end results were thousands of men being turned into hamburger, all because this college educated imbecile had a piece of paper hanging on his tent wall that said he was a good test taker.
I put it in layman's terms so that everyone can understand what I am conveying! Got it?

I have a degree, but I also have certification in various fields that I use to help me navigate through this unpredictable economy. Advanced degrees in engineering and medicine are a must in our economy and future survival as a nation. The sad truth is the majority of Americans will not obtain them. And the jobs being created for the masses of people are not ones that require an advanced degree.

Capitalism is very rewarding to those who already have large excesses of capital! Communism is not the answer either, because just like Capitalism, you have a few at the top sitting on their asses giving orders to the people who're actually working.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#22 Dec 26, 2013
dunadd wrote:
Y'all keep your figures, I'll go with my facts.
I have kin all over Virginia and West Virginia, all those below retirement age are working.
I have kin in such places as Wolfeboro, NH, Vancouver WA, St Petersburg Fl, Wyandotte, KS, Greensboro, NC, Hattiesburg MS, Ashland City, TN, Florence, SC among other places and all below retirement age are working.
A nephew in Honolulu HI has his own health food store.
A cousin in Soldotna, Alaska, both her and her husband are working.
Why all the unemployment? Possibly people on the take, the dole.
Excellent point and most agree that unemployment lasts in approximation with unemployment benefits. That was the lone good thing about the recent budget deal, it did not extend them. Expect a lot of folks to find jobs now that the freebies have come to an end. Sad to say they'll find lower paying jobs without full time hours and less benefits because of laws changing over their unemployment period.

Now the outcome of this dose of reality could be that folks going back to work will find out how bad things really are and after 5 years of an inept President and Congress and they'll take personal responsibility by voting out these SOB's. Oblamo is already damaged and a lame duck. Time to neuter Congress too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Person commits suicide just outside Statehouse 49 min Just Saying 14
KB.....Kristen Beth 1 hr switchswipe 25
News Money sought for new Browns practice facility i... 5 hr They cannot kill ... 2
News Gwyneth Paltrow testifies that Columbus man's l... 6 hr They cannot kill ... 21
self proclaimed socialist wins democrat votes 7 hr Duke for Mayor 2
rabbit island 7 hr Tuck Your Junk 3
The Biggest Liar On Topix 7 hr Chris Tolles 28
BB's Current Events Thread 7 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 173
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages