First Prev
of 15
Next Last

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Feb 7, 2013
Clarence Page had an interesting column, today. Some snippets:

I know from experience that I’m going to upset some folks by saying this, so brace yourselves: Marriage is very important and beneficial to the raising of children, but there’s little evidence that it fights crime.

I bring this up in response to the sincere, well-meaning readers who say that we won’t be able to do anything — anything — about urban violence until we reverse the decline of marriage in African-American households.

I’m as troubled as any other concerned black parent about the rise in out-of-wedlock births in black America since the 1950s. But I am even more troubled when I hear people who should know better try to lay every social problem, including the nation’s current gun-violence debate, at the feet of single-parenting — as if nothing else mattered.

----------
As a headline on an article by Isabel Sawhill, a family life expert at the Brookings Institution, in the latest Washington Monthly put it:“Family breakdown is now biracial.”

Marriage, in a sense, has become a new symbol of status, especially for the college educated.

“The group for whom marriage has largely disappeared now includes not just unskilled blacks but unskilled whites, as well,” she writes.“Indeed, for younger women without a college degree, unwed childbearing is the new normal.”

Sawhill does not cheer this development, which she and other experts following in Moynihan’s path have found to be a pattern throughout the developed world.

If the rise in out-of-wedlock births was tied that closely to crime and violence, I think we would see a more consistent pattern connecting them. Instead, we see crime going sharply up and down in various cities and across the country, while the rise in unwed child-rearing steadily climbs.

A development this huge calls for more than simple one-size-fits-all analysis. I’m not saying that government programs provide all the answers, but we’re only beginning to ask the right questions.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/edito...

Location hidden

#2 Feb 7, 2013
Hmmm, five hours and no comments. Thought sure there were some folks with opinions on this.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
Hmmm, five hours and no comments. Thought sure there were some folks with opinions on this.
I disagree that the unwed birth rate is limited to the 'unskilled' of any race. It's becoming the norm and it is certainly not a help to any child or society, still we don't lay all of the problems at it's feet.

What is unskilled anyway? Everyone can become skilled at something. Criminals certainly are skilled. Anone who uses drugs quickly becomes skilled in obtaining and hiding it. God knows the welfare mothers are skilled at milking everything they can from the 'system.'

Listen to Matt McGill, a Chicago radio host. He's black, but you won't like what he has to say.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#4 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
Clarence Page had an interesting column, today. Some snippets:
I know from experience that I’m going to upset some folks by saying this, so brace yourselves: Marriage is very important and beneficial to the raising of children, but there’s little evidence that it fights crime.
http://www.divorcereform.org/crime.html
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 8, 2013
I would say the main reason for all the killing is the decline of morals and respect for human life.

plain and simple

you removed god from schools and all public places; and now the 20 year olds are godless.

God gave Moses the very first gun law.

Thou shall not kill.

we are reaping what the politically correct liberals sowed.

now they want to blame a tool for the problem.

Location hidden

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
I would say the main reason for all the killing is the decline of morals and respect for human life.
plain and simple
you removed god from schools and all public places; and now the 20 year olds are godless.
Thou shall not kill.
It has never been the responsibility of public schools to further belief in any particular religion.

It is interesting that liberals and public education are blamed for a presumed lapse in morals, but there is never any consideration for whether churches or Christians specifically had any role to play.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
It has never been the responsibility of public schools to further belief in any particular religion.
It is interesting that liberals and public education are blamed for a presumed lapse in morals, but there is never any consideration for whether churches or Christians specifically had any role to play.
who stopped the praying in schools?

removed the 10 commandments from all USA courtrooms?

has demonized religion for 40 years so it can steal the power away from the church social programs?

prints results that catholic private schools are substandard to public schools?
PS: public school results are tainted with lies so union teachers get raises.

answers to above....the democratic party and worshipers.

we pray and sing national anthem at every single sporting event; but someone would sue you over it in a classroom.

the major collapse of morality and sanctity of life died with abortion, where mothers kill their own children allowed by law.

get over it...it is your political parties direction that caused the moral decay on purpose.

now go rot in it....I don't have to.

Location hidden

#8 Feb 8, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
plain and simple
Thou shall not kill.
Pardon the pun, but Amen.
Why do we need sex education and birth control taught through the schools and not the family?
Why do the schools feel compelled to educate on homosecuality?
Why does a minority take a freedom away from the rest of us? No manger scenes? No public prayer?
It's political correctness carried to the friggin extreme.
As a nation, we have no morals. The libs have replaced them with what they like to call 'principles.' Yet, they can find every excuse in the book to not abide by them.
There's no respect for human life, born or unborn.
We have become Rome.
And Reader will have several points where I am wrong.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 8, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
who stopped the praying in schools?
removed the 10 commandments from all USA courtrooms?
has demonized religion for 40 years so it can steal the power away from the church social programs?
prints results that catholic private schools are substandard to public schools?
PS: public school results are tainted with lies so union teachers get raises.
answers to above....the democratic party and worshipers.
we pray and sing national anthem at every single sporting event; but someone would sue you over it in a classroom.
the major collapse of morality and sanctity of life died with abortion, where mothers kill their own children allowed by law.
get over it...it is your political parties direction that caused the moral decay on purpose.
now go rot in it....I don't have to.
You saved up all your alcohol points for the weekend, didn't you?

But let me get this straight. You believe that it is the responsibility of public schools to teach children to pray and the responsibility of the courts to teach the Ten Commandments, right?

So--what are churches responsible for?

Regarding publication of anything that shows that Catholic Schools are inferior, you are really out in lala land. One of the difficulties in comparing public and private schools (of any kind) is the lack of comparable data. Until fairly recently it was even difficult to compare public schools from district to district.

There have been a few studies that I am aware of that attempted to compare private (sometimes Catholic) schools and public schools. End of the day, once socio-economic influence is accounted for, there are not profound differences. And there is a pretty wide range in quality in both the public and private sphere.
hey hey now

Columbus, OH

#10 Feb 8, 2013
Guess ol Clarence is unwilling to lay the blame blacks period regardless of family status. Note too he wants to drag uneducated whites into his lies as well. He also doesn't want to point out that Appalachian whites haven't been waging a widespread civil war among themselves. No, ol Clarence just cant be honest and blame blacks period.

Location hidden

#11 Feb 8, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Pardon the pun, but Amen.
Why do we need sex education and birth control taught through the schools and not the family?
Why do the schools feel compelled to educate on homosecuality?
Why does a minority take a freedom away from the rest of us? No manger scenes? No public prayer?
It's political correctness carried to the friggin extreme.
As a nation, we have no morals. The libs have replaced them with what they like to call 'principles.' Yet, they can find every excuse in the book to not abide by them.
There's no respect for human life, born or unborn.
We have become Rome.
And Reader will have several points where I am wrong.
Well, I am a liberal. I am also a Christian. And I have morals.

Sorry about yours.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#12 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about yours.
...says the pro-abortion, pro-LGBTQI, pro-Islam, white-guilt-ridden-pro-redistr ibution leftist.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#13 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about yours.
The only moral system that you advocate is based around the idea that we should steal from the rich to buy votes from the poor.

As for the rest, you are a relativist.

Location hidden

#14 Feb 8, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The only moral system that you advocate is based around the idea that we should steal from the rich to buy votes from the poor.
As for the rest, you are a relativist.
You are certainly entitled to your own moral judgments, as I am to mine.

However, I would point out that your facts, above, are wrong.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about yours.
You know, by that last sentence, you just HAD to get in, you show the world you have morals all right, and ethics......unfortunately they're low.

You won't see the world very clearly by looking down your nose at it from your rocking chair.

Location hidden

#16 Feb 8, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
...says the pro-abortion, pro-LGBTQI, pro-Islam, white-guilt-ridden-pro-redistr ibution leftist.
She doesn't like herself or her life, Tipperoo. And has no idea how to change it. I'm not worried about my morals with the number of couples who have named me in their Wills to have custody of thier children.(Yikes, don't die!)
As far as ethics, I have dealt 20+ years with people at the top levels of their profession, and never had my honesty questioned.
I am very concerned over the number of abortions being done and the number of people who are cheering it on. Bad, bad, bad.

Location hidden

#17 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
A true Christian does not to judge. Opine, but you don't qualify make judgements. Over-stepped yourself a bit there.
hey hey now

Columbus, OH

#18 Feb 8, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You are widely despised. You revealed your inner filth when you said, "America may or may not have deserved the terrorist attacks on 9-11." Your on-going defense of knigg-hers like the gun runner obama continually reveals your filth to those that are not more than familiar with it. To repeat: you are despised.

Location hidden

#19 Feb 8, 2013
hey hey now wrote:
Guess ol Clarence is unwilling to lay the blame blacks period regardless of family status. Note too he wants to drag uneducated whites into his lies as well. He also doesn't want to point out that Appalachian whites haven't been waging a widespread civil war among themselves. No, ol Clarence just cant be honest and blame blacks period.
Lincoln was a very wise man. IF the country had followed his first solution to end slavery, this would be a very different country.

But libs will NOT accept the statistics.

Location hidden

#20 Feb 9, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, by that last sentence, you just HAD to get in, you show the world you have morals all right, and ethics......unfortunately they're low.
You won't see the world very clearly by looking down your nose at it from your rocking chair.
Ma'am, you were the one complaining about the lack of morals.

Only reasonable to assume you were speaking from experience.

Or, was your implication that YOU're OK and the rest of the world is inferior?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Magic 98.9 Host Khari Enaharo Is Stupid, or.... (Jan '11) 14 min tla 12
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 26 min Pope Che Reagan C... 4,945
Cincinnati White Castle closes amid purge of Oh... 47 min Slider Sam 2
COPS lives MATTER 57 min Pope Che Reagan C... 203
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 1 hr They cannot kill ... 94
Where has Rowdy been? 3 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Spears from South Side 4 hr Latrina Waters 9
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus