|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

OZ the Wizard of truth wrote:
Citizens of the USA who own guns, will give the finger to liberals demanding rid gun legislation.
Guns are not the problem......people are
The laws currently on the books just require enforcing.
That would require work; and work is something liberals in office won't do.
So the gun owning citizens must protect our 2nd amendment and society, because the liberals won't.
Fact check with 50 year track record the liberals solutions did not provide.
Your flight to the Caribbean get canceled, RS?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between what they want and what they think has a snowball's chance in Hell of passing.
I agree.

Just one more reason why the confiscation hysteria is so overblown.

Personally, I can support an assault weapons ban. But that is not where I see the bulk of our efforts as being needed. We need to focus on the things that will help to tighten up enforcement of current laws with regard to background checks and so forth. And that stuff is going to make some folks profoundly uncomfortable. The gun show loophole is not likely to survive. However, when it comes to things like registration and law-enforcement databases in order to trace guns backwards to their sources, I expect opposition, and not just from the pro-gun lobby.

Ditto the kinds of reporting/databases that are likely to impede access to arms for folks who have been adjudicated of mental impairment--or are decompensating and may be at risk of harming self or others. We are going to have to look at these kinds of things, as well as the options that are/are not available to too many desperate families who see their loved ones in trouble and have no protective options available for themselves OR those who are impaired.

These are serious discussions that we need to have and it doesn't help to have the NRA rabble proclaiming idiocy before the table is even set up for the discussion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the declines continue since its expiration!
This is why single variable analysis of complex issues doesn't typically yield much helpful information.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>How many times do you have to be told: an unconstitutional law is not valid.
There will be no way to tally the resistance in New York by numbers. A gun owner may register two of his ten firearms to deter further investigation. You'll never know who has what. Thank God.
You have any specific info regarding the registration requirements?

I haven't been able to find anything beyond the state will develop a registry. I was interested in when this will begin.

Some things may have to happen over time. If, as you predict, all the "law-abiding gun owners" are going to all become non-law-abiding, there will be an initial glut of non-registered weapons. However, as registration at the time of purchase is tightened up, this should diminish.

And the reality is, not everybody buys into your particular rabid world view. There may be more willingness to abide by the law that you believe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

OZ the Wizard of truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100%
Obama was elected and re-elected because he is black.
Mitt Romney has 20 times the credentials to successfully run and operate business or government.
You forget the citizens of London booing him when he was there for the Olympics. Not to mention the underground video of him telling fundraisers that nothing useful could be done in the middle east.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget the citizens of London booing him when he was there for the Olympics. Not to mention the underground video of him telling fundraisers that nothing useful could be done in the middle east.
So what? I've read that Gerald Ford used to be booed when he came to Columbus because he played for Michigan 35 years before. "Civic pride" is hardly indicative of deep political thought.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why single variable analysis of complex issues doesn't typically yield much helpful information.
That doesn't seem to stop you from using them to support your position.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You have any specific info regarding the registration requirements?
I haven't been able to find anything beyond the state will develop a registry. I was interested in when this will begin.
Some things may have to happen over time. If, as you predict, all the "law-abiding gun owners" are going to all become non-law-abiding, there will be an initial glut of non-registered weapons. However, as registration at the time of purchase is tightened up, this should diminish.
And the reality is, not everybody buys into your particular rabid world view. There may be more willingness to abide by the law that you believe.
The Canadians refused to register.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>So what? I've read that Gerald Ford used to be booed when he came to Columbus because he played for Michigan 35 years before. "Civic pride" is hardly indicative of deep political thought.
Are you offering Gerald Ford as a prime example world leadership?

He is distinguished as being the only President in history that no on voted into office.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and they have single payer health insurance, too.

What's your point?
Tax Free America

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that got to do with the U.S.A.?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but when THEY do it, it's called "civil disobedience".
VADoc

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
And two more gears operated with the accelerator.
woof
I would say the stiffness of the clutch or the lack of power steering would also be a nice deterrent
Tax Free America

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Tax Free America wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that got to do with the U.S.A.?
So you don't know either?
Sashaya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Does anyone have any updates on this woman?? Has she been dismissed yet?? I sure hope so because I wouldn't want someone so irresponsible in her position leading educational choices for my children.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Sashaya wrote:
Does anyone have any updates on this woman?? Has she been dismissed yet?? I sure hope so because I wouldn't want someone so irresponsible in her position leading educational choices for my children.
No she has not been dismissed and she very likely will not. This was not done in the capacity of her position of employment for the state, it was on her private facebook page and is her private political opinion which the first amendment protects.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Sashaya wrote:
Last I heard there were 6 State Board members requesting a special meeting to discuss the issue. I believe this is about 4-6 short of the number required to force a meeting. Terhar could decide to have one anyway. The next regularly scheduled meeting is Feb--second week, I believe.

There are certainly plenty of reasons that she makes a bad example for children: bad history, disrespect for the President, spreading propaganda. Perhaps one could make a case that she is not the best person to support our schools in being weapon-free zones.

I think at the end of the day, however, Kasich has sufficient Board members in his pocket to prevent anything very serious from happening.

Sad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>No she has not been dismissed and she very likely will not. This was not done in the capacity of her position of employment for the state, it was on her private facebook page and is her private political opinion which the first amendment protects.
Deb Terhar is not really an employee of the state. She is an elected representative to the State Board of Ed.

In fact, state employees are somewhat limited in their ability to express political opinions--particularly if they pose a conflict with their work.
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Deb Terhar is not really an employee of the state. She is an elected representative to the State Board of Ed.
In fact, state employees are somewhat limited in their ability to express political opinions--particularly if they pose a conflict with their work.
If she was to apply for a loan, she would put the state or a department of the state of ohio down as her employer. Anyways, it doesn't really matter except that as an elected official, her political speech is that much more important. She has duties to perform in her position and this was not represented as part of those duties nor did it reflect any position of the state of ohio.
I also take exception with your classification of her conduct.
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text> she makes a bad example for children: bad history, disrespect for the President, spreading propaganda. Perhaps one could make a case that she is not the best person to support our schools in being weapon-free zones.
There is no bad example for children unless you think not speaking your mind on political matters is the example that should be made. While there was disrespect for the president, her comments did not resort to name calling nor did it denigrate the president in any way. She simply posted that Nazi Germany took guns away from the citizens and it allowed Hitler (an elected official) to become a dictator and murder many people while pushing his idea of Eugenics and the master race. As for bad history, I'm not sure anything was historically inaccurate, I will have to re-examine her comments.
And as for a bad example at a weapons free school zone, again this is completely political. When I was in school, we took long bows and shotguns to school and had Skeet and archery clubs that met after school and actually competed against other schools and clubs. The idea that this is somehow bad is a relatively new concept probably stemming from a few bad incidents that have happened in far away places. Children who learn that guns are more then weapons tend not to view them only as a weapon and this will probably do more to curb gun violence then any ban would. Also, a weapon free zone is more of a political issue then anything. You simply cannot use someone's political speech as a dis-qualifier for office once they are hired or elected simply because you do not agree with it. The only time that is appropriate is when they serve at the pleasure of an office like governor or president (appointed officials) If that was the case, then Obama should be removed from office as well as many of the democrats. But we do not see anyone usurping the will of the electorate simply because they do not like the policies supported by Obama.(you do see people wanting to impeach him if he ignores the second amendment, but not for wanting to increase taxes or playing robin hood).
Adif understanding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Furthermore, it is completely dangerous and mirepresenting the ideals and concepts of democracy when you demand that all politicians keep their political views silent because you do not agree with them. Our country was never designed to act this way and the first amendment as well as the constitution provides for the freedom to speech. It is so inherent in the US system of government that anyone who says anything in congress is constitutionally protected from prosecution. The entire idea of having different opinions on matters and being able to express those opinions is ingrained since the very beginning of the country and was a direct push away from traditional procedures where you could be arrested and swept away into obscurity for expressing anything that wasn't in line with the crown.

I know a lot of you democrats have little respect for the over 200 year old document we refer to as the constitution. I know a lot of you manipulate and attempt to change the meanings of wordings if you can find it suits your purpose. This is a very dangerous and poisonous well you are drinking from when you are trying to claim a politician cannot have political ideals or speech unless you agree with it. What would happen when your political foe decides to take the same tactic and all the sudden every democrat that spoke out against something was forced out of office by the opposition party.

Once again, stupid libs are not thinking things through. If an elected official looses their political speech, then so does all elected officials. Where were you idiots when Sherod Brown started comparing politicians to Hitler and Stalin? I guess it didn't matter back then because it was to your political advantage.

My gawd, you libs seem so freaking stupid- it's as if you would cut your own throats if you thought it could be to your advantage. Get a spine and stand up for what is right for once.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 421 - 440 of448
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

70 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 7 min Male 32
Columbus mayor to DNC: Pick us or lose Ohio 11 min Groidistan 1
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 22 min They cannot kill a Spook 29,006
Ann Coulter: "White Guilt Has Produced Mistake ... (Sep '12) 23 min Black Rhino 36
Do you agree with Texas protecting its own border? 1 hr They cannot kill a Spook 2
No you agree with Israeli airstrikes into Gaza? 1 hr Reality Speaks 27
Columbus sets regulations for UberX and Lyft 1 hr They cannot kill a Spook 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search