ABC News--Oops, our bad

Since: Apr 13

Columbus, OH

#344 May 23, 2013
WISE AMERICAN wrote:
<quoted text> and THAT is the freedom that Ron Paul speaks of...original Constitutional intent... and not the stiff draconian methods espoused by today's so-called Conservative party.
I don't consider it freedom to get pulled over with submachine guns just to check and see if I'm conveying anything illegal. And what they were looking for would be totally legal in a Ron Paul world.

I do favor the drinking and driving laws as that affects others lives, safety and security.

Columbus, OH

#345 May 23, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Europe is far stricter on DUI than the US is. Driving in general there is much more regulated.
They have a lot more public transportation to get people home from the bars.
Now they are. When I was there, the northern countries, especially Denmark took it very seriously. The Danes didn't fool around, the first offense was a heavy fine and a 1 year suspension, if you were caught even driving sober during that year, you'd spend the rest of it in jail. A second offense was 10 years behind bars, no questions, no plea bargains.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#346 May 23, 2013
St of Circumstance wrote:
<quoted text>
Now they are. When I was there, the northern countries, especially Denmark took it very seriously. The Danes didn't fool around, the first offense was a heavy fine and a 1 year suspension, if you were caught even driving sober during that year, you'd spend the rest of it in jail. A second offense was 10 years behind bars, no questions, no plea bargains.
We could never imprison that many people.

If bars were within walking distance, much of the DUI would not happen, but with a lot more public intoxication and drunks falling into the road.

Columbus, OH

#347 May 23, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
We could never imprison that many people.
If bars were within walking distance, much of the DUI would not happen, but with a lot more public intoxication and drunks falling into the road.
Europeans in general laid out their cities quite nicely, not like the sprawl we have here.

I agree about walking distance, if there were a local watering hole within such, I would patronize it. On the backside, with bars being the way they are in Europe, you find quite a bit of public urination and vomit, that's not really appealing.

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#348 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Europeans in general laid out their cities quite nicely, not like the sprawl we have here.
I agree about walking distance, if there were a local watering hole within such, I would patronize it. On the backside, with bars being the way they are in Europe, you find quite a bit of public urination and vomit, that's not really appealing.
Huh? London and Paris are the very definition of sprawl. Germany, not so much.

Columbus, OH

#349 May 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Huh? London and Paris are the very definition of sprawl. Germany, not so much.
But unlike, oh here in Westerville or over in Hilliard how many bars, restaurants or fresh markets can you comfortably walk or bike to? Let alone access public transportation to?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#350 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
While that may be true, I don't chance it at all. Where I live they are happy to pull people over just for the sake of it. Have been through many 'checkpoints' The point, I don't consume and get behind the wheel. My g/f will drive if I have a drink with dinner or vice versa, my buddies are the same, none of us risk even the chance.
Oh, I know. Just mentioning it... I don't drink at all so I don't have to worry about it.

Planet Earth

#351 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't consider it freedom to get pulled over with submachine guns just to check and see if I'm conveying anything illegal. And what they were looking for would be totally legal in a Ron Paul world.
I do favor the drinking and driving laws as that affects others lives, safety and security.
Actually if you look at the statistics, more people are killed by completely sober drivers than drunk ones :)

Planet Earth

#352 May 23, 2013

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#353 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
But unlike, oh here in Westerville or over in Hilliard how many bars, restaurants or fresh markets can you comfortably walk or bike to? Let alone access public transportation to?
That's the Carrie Nation mentality that still afflicts America after 100 years. Westerville was the center of the universe in that regard.

Columbus, OH

#354 May 23, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I know. Just mentioning it... I don't drink at all so I don't have to worry about it.
You should have fallen to thirst long ago. Or did you mean you don't partake in alcohol?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#355 May 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You respond to some friendly discussion of vacation possibilities by counting up how many times you have already done the same (throwing in the gratuitous information that you didn't have to pay to do so). And then you go on to insist that you have moved on to better things.
Your issues are showing, George.
(sorry if this posts twice--Topix seems to be getting stuck)
Huh? I've done a fair amount of business travel myself, hell, I've had WEEKS paid for in Vegas, Orlando, Destin, FL, Miami, Charlotte, Seattle, California, Denver, TDY at the Jersey shore, etc. Made sure I enjoyed it, too...visited friends/family, got myself a 4X4 and did some off roading in the Rockies, visited the AF Academy, did some gambling, took in shows, hiked in national forests, the only thing I didn't do was Disney (just not interested in it). Didn't pay for those trips (did have to pay for my entertainment) and stayed in some nice places. Wish I could've been sent to Europe! Sigh. Only got to bases in the US.

Quite a few people travel daily for business. My recent past had me all over the US for a few years and I got to make a lot of acquaintances, business contacts, friends to boot! And I worked my ass off when I was on duty while traveling too, it's not easy living out of a suitcase.

Planet Earth

#356 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
You should have fallen to thirst long ago. Or did you mean you don't partake in alcohol?
Osmosis :)

Columbus, OH

#357 May 23, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
http://www.madd.org/blog/2012/ december/2011-State-data.html
D.A.M.M. is a wiser choice, Drunks Against Mad Mothers

Columbus, OH

#358 May 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>That's the Carrie Nation mentality that still afflicts America after 100 years. Westerville was the center of the universe in that regard.
Yeah, alcohol sales here just became legal about the time I moved in. The first year or so I lived here it was a 'dry town'

That's when 161 was still flourishing due to us folk driving south to have a drink or glass of wine with dinner.

The liquor store at Shrock and Cleveland is now a total dump due to the change in clientele. The Wine/Cigar store on Cleveland is about out of business.

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#359 May 23, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? I've done a fair amount of business travel myself, hell, I've had WEEKS paid for in Vegas, Orlando, Destin, FL, Miami, Charlotte, Seattle, California, Denver, TDY at the Jersey shore, etc. Made sure I enjoyed it, too...visited friends/family, got myself a 4X4 and did some off roading in the Rockies, visited the AF Academy, did some gambling, took in shows, hiked in national forests, the only thing I didn't do was Disney (just not interested in it). Didn't pay for those trips (did have to pay for my entertainment) and stayed in some nice places. Wish I could've been sent to Europe! Sigh. Only got to bases in the US.
Quite a few people travel daily for business. My recent past had me all over the US for a few years and I got to make a lot of acquaintances, business contacts, friends to boot! And I worked my ass off when I was on duty while traveling too, it's not easy living out of a suitcase.
The only time Reader went on someone elses dime was her trip to Cuba, funded by CPUSA and spent in the cane fields.
Funny, isn't it? Why you and I talk about where we've been and under what circumstances, it's "gratuitous." But Reader has no problems with her fellow travelers tales of adventure.

Columbus, OH

#360 May 23, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a contractor I did most of my traveling in Europe and the near Midlle East, when I got back stateside, I did travel mostly up through the NE, I've been to some very barren places (Winter Harbor, ME) My advice is to thoroughly enjoy all you can, make the best of it and do your job. You'll never regret it.

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#361 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
When I was a contractor I did most of my traveling in Europe and the near Midlle East, when I got back stateside, I did travel mostly up through the NE, I've been to some very barren places (Winter Harbor, ME) My advice is to thoroughly enjoy all you can, make the best of it and do your job. You'll never regret it.
Be thankful...they could have sent you to Loring.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#362 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
That's my point. Take the experiences that you can, as they come your way. Even the worst of experiences can bring *something*--a lesson learned, knowledge, or a few good laughs after being stuck in a crappy airport in a snowstorm next to some very stinky persons (and I've been there, too--in Detroit of all places). I don't believe in "living small." Go for it. Most fun I ever had was working in the middle of the Mojave outdoors and on a cattle ranch outdoors in Florida--actually got to live on the ranch for the duration I was there, absolutely wonderful.

Columbus, OH

#363 May 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Be thankful...they could have sent you to Loring.
Been there, as well as Minot, I didn't want to scare the young. cute gal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert Mueller Investigating Donald Trump 24 min El Kabong 467
Burn in Hell White Pigs, Go Fight Real Crime, N... 26 min the hotep 72
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 45 min Male 925
Why are Trump's Kids so ugly? 1 hr Mud, James Mud 13
O J is free on parole, Goldmans still bitter 2 hr Reality 2
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 2 hr Gidae 257
older women needing spanked? 3 hr o_o-Ho0t-o_o 62

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages