Sara Lee sells 41-plant U.S. bakery unit for $959 million | The Columbus Dispatch

Sara Lee Corp. is selling its North American Fresh bakery unit to baking company Grupo Bimbo for $959 million as it looks to concentrate more on its coffee and meat businesses. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#65 Mar 16, 2012
monty-sara lee driver wrote:
I started working for Rainbo bread in 1988. Since then we have been bought by three different companies;Anhieser Bush, Earthgrains, Campell Taggart, Sara lee, and now Bimbo.
I hope you drive better than you count.
Joe

Branchland, WV

#66 Mar 17, 2012
who="monty-sara lee driver"]I started working for Rainbo bread in 1988. Since then we have been bought by three different companies;Anhieser Bush, Earthgrains, Campell Taggart, Sara lee, and now Bimbo. For what its worth, Earthgrains was the best. Now, I don't know if I'm going to have a job to go to tomorrow. I'm not complaining too much, this job has fed my family for 24 years very well. I just wish they would make up thier minds what they are going to do with the ones that put them where they are today. Maybe I'll just retire........
If I were you I would take retirement because when you get close to retirement they will find a reason to can you.
dislike

Brookfield, IL

#67 May 31, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Sue this is the way most companies operate in this day and age. The bottom line is all that matters.Better for them to dump older workers in favor of new hires who have no seniority and no retirement built up.
your non caring is not needed.This family suffered enough without you pouring salt into their wounds. You must work for Saralee
Do not like saralee

Gallipolis Ferry, WV

#68 Jul 6, 2012
SaraLee employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot believe what I'm seeing here. If you don't know what you're talking about, be quiet and stop spreading ignorance. I work for Sara Lee Bakery Group in California. I worked for Earthgrains before it was bought out by Sara Lee.. I'm an American citizen, born and raised here. I can't say that I work with any "illegals". I look around my plant and see every other hard working American citizen baking the bread your kids waste.
Bimbo might have a Mexican name but they're doing business in the US, following US laws regarding employement, working with unions, and employing US workers at an above average pay... way above minimum wage. Ever heard of Orowheat, Entenmanns, Boboli and a whole slew of other household names? Those are all made in the US, made by US workers and owned by Bimbo. The company is no stranger to the US.
The sale of Sara Lee to Bimbo is welcomed. Bimbo was making improvements to the way Sara Lee ran their bakeries. They upheld our Union Contract and were planning on investing and expanding our plants in Califirnia. That meant job security for myself and my family.
The DOJ decided Bimbo needed to divest their assets in California otherwise they would monopolize braed sales. That means Bimbo will aquire Sara Lee in this sale but needs to sell off the Sara Lee brand and all it's plants in California as soon as the deal is done. Know what that means smarty? It means I don't know who I
work for anymore. I could end up working for a large company like Flowers or another company wanting to take
on a baking line. So don't be an idiot: if you don't want to see blue collar Americans out of their jobs, buy Sara
Lee. Our class of people pay most of the taxes in THIS country... BUY SARA LEE! Please think before you
make prejudiced comments.
I totally agree with Todd Saralee sold out their loyal employees and customers. Don"t buy their product. Leave it on the shelves.
dislike

Saint Albans, WV

#69 Jul 22, 2012
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
What I mean is I am a total s**t who spreads her nasty snatch open for guys who aren't too picky.
My husband won't get near it without holding his breath!
You are a total ly rude and stupid. I would say that no one would go near you without a hazmat suit .
Roger

United States

#70 Dec 20, 2012
CommonSenseOH wrote:
<quoted text>
Good idea... suggesting to run an American company into the ground. It's business, it's a cycle. American company will eventually start buying up foreign companies again like they were doing over the past 15 years. Right now they're just sitting on a pile cash because they don't know what the government is going to make them do. With no direction on taxes, healtcare mandates, etc, they will sit on this cash for a while.
They are sitting on a pile of crappy
tennessee man

Ellijay, GA

#71 Feb 7, 2014
I like Sarah Lee bread and was looking on the net where it was made and found all this talk about the selling.It's disheartening,because it's good bread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where has Rowdy been 1 hr Ghost of G 9
Toddler In Stroller Hit By Car In West Columbus 1 hr Ghost of G 5
City to consider measures to reduce plastic bag... 1 hr Ghost of G 3
Chris from Columbus - Frequent Radio Talk Show ... 4 hr CCW 1
dub-v fan 4 hr Star On 47 2
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 4 hr dpx55 159
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 5 hr Male 3,981
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs