Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

former member of the Westboro Baptist Church who recently published a book about leaving the hate-mongering group has also revealed that founder Fred Phelps's anti-gay ideology may have spawned from a gay experience.

Lauren Drain, 27, was a member of the Topeka, Kan., congregation until she challenged the group's beliefs and had to leave. She sat down this week with the Advocate to discuss her book and her journey from follower to free.

Drain suggested to the Advocate that founder Fred Phelps might have formed the Westboro Baptist Church and begun his anti-gay crusade because of a gay experience. He was a Boy Scout who graduated with honors and was headed for the military, she said. Then, at 17, Phelps changed his mind and was suddenly set on becoming a preacher to fight against "sexual immorality."

Via the Advocate:

I never understood why, when [the media asked him],Why are you so against the homosexuals? Did you have a homosexual experience? Do you have homosexual tendencies? And he would get so mad, he would shut down. And hed be like,I cant talk to this person anymore, theyre stupid. His reaction to that was stronger than any other question you can ask him. So I always wondered that why does he get so mad? If Im not gay, Ill just say Im not gay. And Im not going to freak out, like,Why are you calling me gay? I always thought that was super strange. I dont know what happened there, so [speculation] is all that I can leave it at. But something happened, and something made him change his mind about the military, and in turn have kind of a crusade against sexual immorality and homosexuals.
Not only did she leave Westboro, but Drain also has become an advocate for gay rights and anti-bullying. In February, she posed for the NOH8 campaign, a movement that promotes equality.

"I don't think anyone should judge or persecute another human being or any group of individuals based off of those personal, chosen, beliefs," she told NOH8. "I am against any and all forms of violence, discrimination, bullying or bigotry directed at someone else due to their personal lifestyle."

March 5 saw the release of Drain's book, Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church, in which she describes how she grew up with Westboro during her formative years, after her father developed an obsession with the group and moved his family from Florida to Kansas.

During a reddit "Ask Me Anything" session last month, one commentator asked Drain, "Do you think Fred Phelps is gay? If not, how do you explain his extreme interest in homosexuality?" She didn't answer the question at the time, but she did say Phelps has managed to brainwash his followers so much that they believe the hate just as staunchly as he does.

"I don't think Fred Phelps becoming incapable would be the reason the church would collapse," she said when asked if Westboro may crumble after the 83-year-old dies. "I tend to think it is disintegrating as more and more members question things and get kicked out or leave. The brainwashing is so deep that the second and third generation believe just a strongly as the Pastor himself."
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ 2013/03/15/lauren-drain-westbo ro-baptist-church-fred-phelps- gay-experience_n_2877987.html? ir=Politics&ref=topbar
Interesting and hardly surprising.

Possible--from the story--that Phelps was profoundly confused by a same-sex sexual assault he experienced. Doesn't necessarily add up to him being a closeted gay.

But I do think that people who are sexually healthy in their own lives are far less likely to become obsessive in relationship to the sex lives of others. My understanding of Westboro is that it is less of a church and more of a family operation. And some of the teachings provided to children there have always looked to me to walk right up to the edge of emotional and psychological abuse.
Fred Phelps

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Yes I am gay and ashamed of it. By spewing rabid hatred against gays I can fool people into thinking I am not gay myself. Which I am.
-tip-

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Fred Phelps wrote:
Yes I am gay and ashamed of it. By spewing rabid hatred against gays I can fool people into thinking I am not gay myself. Which I am.
Me too!
Yorka Litoris

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Fred Phelps wrote:
We already knew that Fred

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too!
Feck off ya feckin' gobsheen.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too!
I knew it!!!!

woof

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew it!!!!
woof
Well, just like everything else you think you know -- you're wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 10 min Pops 30,182
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 19 min Pope Che Reagan C... 185
The Michael Brown Case 22 min Pale Rider 1
Where are all the original legacy posters? 58 min Ghost of Karl 20
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 59 min Go Blue Forever 3,110
ISIS beheads James Foley 1 hr Ghost of Karl 82
Poor, Poor Sarah Palin 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 11
Debate: Ferguson - Columbus, OH 9 hr Duke for Mayor 63

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••