Diverse city living moves to low-inco...

Diverse city living moves to low-income high-rise | The Columbus Di...

There are 50 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 16, 2010, titled Diverse city living moves to low-income high-rise | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The developer says he'll spend $5 million to renovate the newly named Skyview Towers; the lobby already has been redone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Columbus, OH

#44 Aug 16, 2010
Lazy wrote:
Wow!!!!!!!Columbus is getting bad but unfortunately anywhere you live constant crime is sort of a definite possibility. Why don't you live in the real world???<quoted text>
It is all a matter of degrees and probability...and the use of some common sense helps to realize what is real.
dave chappelle

Columbus, OH

#45 Aug 16, 2010
Painter wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder what cable company they have. I'm sure they are giving the owner of the place a great deal. I wonder if they would do the same for me?
I'm thinking it's that old classic, "Limited time only, subject to change..."
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#46 Aug 16, 2010
The last time I remember some developer hot-dogging it for The Dispatch was when Tom Fortin was playing social worker to all the Mexicans living in Shannon Way. Yeah, he was trying to "find the right renters" and "create a community". What is that place, 10% occupied now? Taxpayers, bend over--You are about to take it again.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#47 Aug 16, 2010
FLASHBACK!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2...

Friday, October 31, 2003

Lincoln Park W. set for overhaul
N.Y. owner wants turnaround

Business First of Columbus - by Brian R. Ball Business First

The Lincoln Park West apartments near Westland Mall have emerged from a bankruptcy reorganization with a new owner that is pledging to improve the complex.

Matrix Realty Group Inc. of Ronkonkoma, N.Y., closed on its purchase of the 1,280-apartment complex this month after paying the bankruptcy estate of Port West Associates LP $13.65 million.

Richard McGilvary, the Matrix regional vice president overseeing the Georgesville Road complex, said the company plans to spend $9 million to upgrade the 74-acre property, which was renamed Wingate Villages.

"We're a company that buys depressed real estate, comes in and fixes it up to where the property was when it was first built," McGilvary said.

Lazy

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#48 Aug 16, 2010
I really do realize that but if you're anywhere within 270 then it's to be expected. I am aware of what is real and even though this whole deal will probably fail, people still deserve a decent place to live. Instead the working class like myself has to deal with the same crime level and squalor that people who have zero work ethic do.
JPA8 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is all a matter of degrees and probability...and the use of some common sense helps to realize what is real.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#49 Aug 16, 2010
FLASHBACK II!!!!

... The former Beverly Manor, no longer a government housing for base workers, was going through its own series of changes and not for the better.

By this time, the housing complex had become Greenbriar Apartments and had long lost its allure, earning the nickname ‘Uzi Alley.’ In 1998, PM Group from Brighton, Mich., renamed the complex Woodland Meadows Apartments after buying it for $11.5 million and pledged to focus on affordable housing and to spend more than $30 million on renovations, only to go bankrupt.

In November 2002, Amigo Real Estate of Los Angeles, led by company President Jorge Newbery, buys Woodland Meadows for $12.2 million at a court-ordered auction after PM Group filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001. Many local developers declined to bid more than $6 million and marveled that Newberry would pay so much for the 122 dying three-story brick buildings.

A December 2004 ice storm knocked out the power and left water lines to freeze and break, starting the complex’s death spiral; however, crime was a problem long before.

“ I lived through civil war, and I thought,‘Finally, I am someplace safe,’” said Adar Mohamed, 20, a Somali refugee.“Twice in two months, thieves entered my apartment and stole everything – clothes, food, furniture... all they left were clothes hangers,” Mohamed said.

Newberry maintains that his problems began with the ice storm. Many residents publicly disagreed.
In November 2005, the city issued orders to vacate six buildings after finding structural problems and faulty wiring. A court settlement a month later gave Newbery almost six months to fix up more than 800 units. Woodland Meadows began bricking up 279 first-floor units. Again, to no avail....

http://www.columbuspost.com/news/headlines284...
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#50 Aug 16, 2010
Lazy wrote:
I really do realize that but if you're anywhere within 270 then it's to be expected. I am aware of what is real and even though this whole deal will probably fail, people still deserve a decent place to live. Instead the working class like myself has to deal with the same crime level and squalor that people who have zero work ethic do. <quoted text>
That part I agree with. If people should subsidize anything, they should be subsidizing housing for people like you (or at least how you represent yourself). Throwing more money away at this element isn't good for anybody.
Lazy

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#51 Aug 17, 2010
No you're right. It's a waste. If everything they get is free then it shouldn't be the best of anything. It should be crummy so they'll maybe want to try to get decent things for themselves but I doubt that would even work........
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
That part I agree with. If people should subsidize anything, they should be subsidizing housing for people like you (or at least how you represent yourself). Throwing more money away at this element isn't good for anybody.

Since: Apr 10

Columbus, OH

#52 Aug 17, 2010
Lazy wrote:
No you're right. It's a waste. If everything they get is free then it shouldn't be the best of anything. It should be crummy so they'll maybe want to try to get decent things for themselves but I doubt that would even work........<quoted text>
as long as they don't decide they want the decent things from my house, and come steal them.
worker

Zanesville, OH

#53 May 6, 2013
I grew up in those aparments on knob hill west. It was so nice place wonderful neighbors who were like family. Well we went to show my son today were it was. I was discusted how the place turned out, the dumpster doesnt look like it's been emptied for over a month, little babies possibly 2 or under were riding their toys right out in the road or parking lots, with no parent in sight. I just wanted to cry how the people were living in that horrilble condition nothing is the way i remember it. I lived there from the time I was 8 to 19 we had beautiful pools to swim in. I just don't understand how something so nice to go to filthy. Where are these people who are supposed to be fixing this place. Tell them to give me a call I'll remind them of how it's is supposed to be seriously. your only letting the people who live there make it so much worse. God help you make it livable again and for people to enjoy living there again. We also had security gaurds and mantance workers there because my step father was one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seth Rich, slain DNC staffer 2 min Boris 54
Moving to Columbus 4 min Boris 6
Allahu Akbar 1 hr Oliver Canterberr... 9
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 596
America Held Hostage Day 128 3 hr MarkJ- 17
FBI and the Trump brothers ..... 3 hr Trooff 11
Russian investigation update🙀 4 hr Trouser Cough 7

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance