Diverse city living moves to low-inco...

Diverse city living moves to low-income high-rise | The Columbus Di...

There are 50 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 16, 2010, titled Diverse city living moves to low-income high-rise | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The developer says he'll spend $5 million to renovate the newly named Skyview Towers; the lobby already has been redone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
YeahYeahYeah

New York, NY

#1 Aug 16, 2010
Sawyer Towers has been around for years. I remember my uncle use to take me over there as a child, when senior citizens lived there and I was always in the rec center. At that time, it was a nice place. When some seniors started letting their younger relatives live with them, thats when crime started in that development.

I am glad that this individual has bought this landmark and is changing it around. It is a beautiful building. I actually wouldnt mind living there myself but for a 2 bedroom, that is a little high for me, granted it is a nice building.

Good Luck
Linda

Galloway, OH

#2 Aug 16, 2010
See how long this last? These areas, people like to poo poo in their own bathwater.

Since: Nov 08

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 16, 2010
They can make the place as nice as they want but it doesn't change the bad neighborhood. It's not worth the risk to me.
the truth

Guy, AR

#4 Aug 16, 2010
The problem is everytime tax $$$ are used as they have been on this and will again for sure the thig get turn apart and in 3 years has to be fixed up again. Look out that we dont end up paying for it by pay to play Coleman.
Painter

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 16, 2010
Wow, everything is included. While you are at it just hand them the keys to a new car. Hey buy their groceries, clothes, booze, drugs. Well heck let them live there for free. Let's see how long it takes to become slumb again. The people who will live there will expect everything free. When they don't get it they will take it from their neighbors. How long will it be before they let their thug relatives move in with them. If they don't have a job don't let them live there. If they lose their job kick them out. Don't let people freeload anymore. I sure hope they don't destroy the place. But you know what is coming.
TICON

Westerville, OH

#6 Aug 16, 2010
Need to eliminate HUD and Section 8 housing along with Medicaid to balance the budget and get people off their butt.
coloperson

Columbus, OH

#7 Aug 16, 2010
Why is diversity the number one goal of liberals? Is is like the old saying misery loves company?What's wrong with live and let live.
Whatever

Columbus, OH

#8 Aug 16, 2010
I remember when I first moved to Columbus back in 96 after college I qualified for low income housing. At that time there was a new build low income project off of Sawmill. Walked thru the place and boy was it nice. I decided not to go the low income route and got a difference apt down the road. Ended up paying way more for something that was half as nice. Shouldn't it be the other way around. I have nothing against low income housing but do they really need to have cable provided and everything else that is given to them. If Time Warner keeps raising their rates soon I will not be able to afford cable. Seems like a nice deal to me.
Anton Chigurh

Columbus, OH

#9 Aug 16, 2010
best of luck to both the developer and anyone that chooses to live here. It does offer some great features at a very reasonable price. I hope they are able to keep the criminal element out of and away from the building.

With the area around the towers a urban war zone, you couldn't pay me enough to live here.

I rented a great place in Old Towne East 10 years ago... great house and great neighbors that were working really hard to improve the area.

After having my car stolen twice and broken into 3 times, I had to throw in the towel and move.
Jerry

Bowling Green, OH

#11 Aug 16, 2010
What makes these people better than others? They have not earned anything. What's the old saying? You give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. You show him how to fish and he'll eat forever. You just give these people all this stuff and it will last a very short time before it's slum area again. What a waste of money, and for what, to help Coleman look good.
oldman62

Sunbury, OH

#12 Aug 16, 2010
I hope this developer finds out about Mansfield, Ohio. Talk about distressed real estate.....Mansfield,Oh must be the Saudi Arabia of distressed real estate. I worked there for 5 yrs. My first impression of the place was that it reminded me of one of those movies about "after the nuclear war" where all the streets were empty...nobody around, empty buildings, factories,houses,stores all of it. There are a lot of really nice people there, but the place has been largely abandoned. So if Vaios Theodorakos reads this.....here's a place where you can buy almost a whole city for a song.

Since: Apr 10

Columbus, OH

#13 Aug 16, 2010
YeahYeahYeah wrote:
Sawyer Towers has been around for years. I remember my uncle use to take me over there as a child, when senior citizens lived there and I was always in the rec center. At that time, it was a nice place. When some seniors started letting their younger relatives live with them, thats when crime started in that development.
I am glad that this individual has bought this landmark and is changing it around. It is a beautiful building. I actually wouldnt mind living there myself but for a 2 bedroom, that is a little high for me, granted it is a nice building.
Good Luck
Maybe it wasn't even the younger relatives living there.
It may have just been the younger relatives coming and using the rec center all the time.
Resident of many years

Bellefontaine, OH

#14 Aug 16, 2010
Hope they don't have to sign a lease
Alvin L Cox

Columbus, OH

#15 Aug 16, 2010
This is a nice start to what could be a beautiful community. All is needed now is the help from police to help clean up the outside of the housing and make it safe to come and go as you please without worry of being robbed or mugged. The next move is for the contractor and owner to go to council and plead for help or at least be able to hire armed security with arrest powers and the ability to do the job.
Alvin L Cox

Columbus, OH

#16 Aug 16, 2010
After reading some of the other stories I see the problems. These apartments are not free and there is back ground checks being done on residents. As I said it is time the police do there job and step up enforcement and the courts to do there job witch they are not. Our judges are wimps who turn everyone loose and the police turn there heads to about everything because they know the courts are doing nothing. It's the people that has to stand up and help police the housing rules and regulations and not let them get run down. The owner has to have balls to check on the buildings and throw out the ones not conforming with rules. Lets go back to the old days where the owner runs his property and the measly courts.
Jerry

Bowling Green, OH

#17 Aug 16, 2010
I wonder if they allow couches on the front porches? That will be the first thing. Then cars on blocks.
The REAL P Citizen

Nashport, OH

#18 Aug 16, 2010
Linda wrote:
See how long this last? These areas, people like to poo poo in their own bathwater.
Mnnnnn. And we know this know?
Sound like somebody on here has a 'scat' fetish.
The REAL P Citizen

Nashport, OH

#19 Aug 16, 2010
....Know this how...
The REAL P Citizen

Nashport, OH

#20 Aug 16, 2010
coloperson wrote:
Why is diversity the number one goal of liberals? Is is like the old saying misery loves company?What's wrong with live and let live.
Why is living in exclusity and ignorance the number one goal of conservatives?
The REAL P Citizen

Nashport, OH

#21 Aug 16, 2010
...exclusivity...(d***!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I've had 6 abort!ons so I'm definitely voting f... 35 min UTrashy 15
Lions and tigers and what? Nile crocks? 3 hr UTrashy 20
How many ABOR TIONS do I have to get to get int... 3 hr UTrashy 2
Women who still wear Sears & Roebuck brazziers ... 4 hr UTrashy 12
SCOTUS ruling in AHCA 5 hr Beentheredonethat 57
Drumpf: Narcissistic Welfare King 5 hr MartyrBee 2
News Cleveland craft brewer Platform to open brewpub... 9 hr rowdy01 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages