Watterson teacher fired

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#1 Apr 18, 2013
A gay physical-education teacher who was fired from a Catholic high school in Clintonville said the morality clause cited in her dismissal could easily be used to fire any number of staff members who fail to follow all the church’s rules.

Carla Hale, who worked at Bishop Watterson High School for 19 years, was fired in March after an anonymous parent complained that the obituary for Hale’s mother listed the name of her female domestic partner.

Hale, and her attorney Thomas Tootle, said other Watterson staff members might be violating Catholic teaching by living with unmarried heterosexual partners, being divorced or using birth control.

“Where do you start and finish if you’re talking about immoral behavior within the Catholic Church?” asked Hale, who is Methodist.

The teacher’s dismissal caught attention this week after students and other supporters started an online petition seeking her reinstatement. The petition at change.org was posted on Monday and had gathered nearly 8,000 signatures by this afternoon.

The policy of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus says “Catholic school personnel are expected to be examples of moral behavior and professionalism” and a contract between the diocese and the Central Ohio Association of Catholic Educators can be terminated for immorality or unethical behavior.

The church considers gay relationships harmful and wrong. The diocese and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops declined to comment on Hale’s case.

Hale called Watterson “a great place to work” and hopes to return. She has filed a grievance based on terms of the contract.

If that fails, Tootle said, they could turn to a Columbus ordinance that makes it a misdemeanor to fire someone based on sexual orientation. A third recourse would be to pursue a wrongful-termination case before a Franklin County Common Pleas judge, he said.

Napoleon Bell, executive director of the city’s Community Relations Commission, said the Columbus ordinance has no exemption for religious organizations but the city has not received any complaints against religious groups.

However, Tootle said, courts have allowed certain religious exemptions to such laws.

Statewide, 17 cities have laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, according to Equality Ohio, which advocates for gay rights. Spokesman Grant Stancliff said the group is lobbying for a statewide law.

Eighty of Ohio’s top 98 employers have their own nondiscrimination policies, he said.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 18, 2013
I am adopting a position of blase outrage on this issue.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#3 Apr 18, 2013
I thought women gym teachers came in only two types. Carpet chewers and ugly carpet chewers. With very few exceptions.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#4 Apr 18, 2013
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
I thought women gym teachers came in only two types. Carpet chewers and ugly carpet chewers. With very few exceptions.
One exception would be the gym teacher in "Weird Science". Owoooooo

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 18, 2013
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
Ewww! Are you insinuating that my High School gym teacher was gay? Reflecting...you are right!
biggie bc

Mansfield, OH

#6 Apr 18, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
I am adopting a position of blase outrage on this issue.
the church shoud also fire about half their churchgoers cause they dont obey the old mens rules either agree big?

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Columbus, OH

#7 Apr 18, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
One exception would be the gym teacher in "Weird Science". Owoooooo
Did you change your shirt so the drool spots may be laundered? I know the tissue you grabbed was utilized for another reason as you reflected.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#8 Apr 18, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
A gay physical-education teacher who was fired from a Catholic high school in Clintonville said the morality clause cited in her dismissal could easily be used to fire any number of staff members who fail to follow all the church’s rules.
Their house, their rules.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#9 Apr 18, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Did you change your shirt so the drool spots may be laundered? I know the tissue you grabbed was utilized for another reason as you reflected.
What are you talking about? I was wearing nothing but my Spongebob sleep shorts.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#10 Apr 18, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. Its time to stand up to all the mutants, freaks and deviants (all Obama supporters) who want to change our traditional values.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#11 Apr 18, 2013
biggie bc wrote:
<quoted text>the church shoud also fire about half their churchgoers cause they dont obey the old mens rules either agree big?
We didn't sign an employment contract, either. We GIVE, the cash, sport...she was a taker.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#12 Apr 18, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Nailed it. Nothing more needs to be said.

Ivy League-ISIS

#13 Apr 18, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text> Nailed it. Nothing more needs to be said.
If an org was sued for firing a Phelps family member, it would be laughed out.

(Most WBC members are actually public employees, as they can't be fired)
hhey now

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 18, 2013
Columbus Public Schools must have already exceeded its quota of Puh-see lickers and she had to settle for a Cath-o-lick school.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#15 Apr 18, 2013
hhey now wrote:
Columbus Public Schools must have already exceeded its quota of Puh-see lickers and she had to settle for a Cath-o-lick school.
Could be she heard they were Fish eaters.
Love that Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#16 Apr 18, 2013
Look at these pathetic poofs. It's not bad enough that they have infiltrated the government schools and dictated their perverted doctrine, now they want to dictate to the Catholic Schools what they should be allowed to consider doctrine. Go see a psychiatrist, freak.

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#18 Apr 18, 2013
Real Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe she just wanted to be a priest and practice her pedotholism.
Listen to the little punkass high school kid...you've got your ass up in the air on a daily basis and even the pedos won't touch you.

Ivy League-ISIS

#20 Apr 18, 2013
Real Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet baby Jesus! How many screenames are you going to change every time you got your a s s handed by the openly liberals on this forum? Just because you keep changing your identity doesn't mean people don't realize how much of a weak douche you are in debating, or lack of.
Again you never debut any sh1t about catholic priest, good call old man.
Go to bed, kid.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Planet Earth

#22 Apr 19, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2...
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#23 Apr 19, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
Liberals have no problem when Muslim schools hold to their values including separate swimming faculties at Harvard, building foot washing stalls at University of Michigan, Dearborn Campus, banning pork at many liberal high schools, colleges, wearing of burka, hijab and nicab encouraged, death threats to South Park and even this régime's unwillingness to prosecute Major Hassan - but liberals demand that Christian Schools violate their own moral code (Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is an abomination)?

Why the double standard Mr. Liberal??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 14 min Pale Rider 5,776
What ails the black family? Hard realities! 33 min KatFat Dave 61
Austria passes laws to regulate Islam Muslims 46 min Pam 12
What ails the White Family? Hard Realities! 48 min Pam 12
America needs Jesus Christ and the Word of God 58 min Pam 27
Ohio charter schools identified as among worst ... 2 hr Reality Speaks 7
Is the Koran a Book of Hate? (Apr '14) 2 hr Ecossais 103
Every state has ISIS recruits 4 hr BizzyBee 125
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE