Some smokers put off by cigarette war...

Some smokers put off by cigarette warning labels | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 101 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 23, 2011, titled Some smokers put off by cigarette warning labels | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Joanna Hicks of Columbus smokes while texting during her break from her job in Downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Just Me

Harrison, AR

#1 Jun 23, 2011
I'll give up smoking when you pry the cigarette out of my cold, dead hand!
Roark

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jun 23, 2011
At some point in your life you will regret that saying. Have fun smelling like crap, looking like crap and the bad health that you have to look forward to as a result of your decision. However I totally support your right to do so.
Heywood

Canal Winchester, OH

#3 Jun 23, 2011
As long as I don't have to breathe in second hand smoke, I think smokers ought to be able to indulge. But I think that, considering all of the science proving how bad it is for you, yellowing teeth, the stink on your clothes, hair and skin from it, and the absolutely disgusting breath that smokers have, people would be smarter than that. According to the numbers, at least 22% of the population simply doesn't seem get it. And, I guess, that's their right.
DRINK UP

Dublin, OH

#4 Jun 23, 2011
I just don't understand why smoking is treated so differently than alcohol. I've never known anyone killed by a smoking driver. Maybe you get the occasional house fire but candles probably cause more annually. If people want to kill themselves slowly so be it. Our gov't is a joke!
Just living life

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 23, 2011
I wonder if smokers would go into a room with no windows, doors closed off and the room filled
full of smoke breathe that in. Same thing as smoking cigarettes. Just they have the fresh air at hand while they are breathing thru there nose.
And women who smoke have the worse wrinkle lines around there mouth, under there eyes.
My sister-n-law looks so old for her young age.
It's all because she smokes. And now she has
COPD.
Jim R

Coshocton, OH

#6 Jun 23, 2011
Just another example of government bias and stupidity. Where is the graphic scene of a bloody auto accident on each bottle of beer?

I don't smoke, but get off their backs, already! The new requirements for cig packs are despicable...
rocky

United States

#7 Jun 23, 2011
They have to put pictures for the smokers because most of them can't read.LOL!
jdh

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 23, 2011
Jim R wrote:
Just another example of government bias and stupidity. Where is the graphic scene of a bloody auto accident on each bottle of beer?
I don't smoke, but get off their backs, already! The new requirements for cig packs are despicable...
or how about a picture of a woman with two black eyes and her old man in a wife-beater....pictures of the damage done to the liver....pictures of babies with alcohol fetal syndrome

well I gotta go for now...time to start a cigarette case company
reader

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 23, 2011
"If (cigarettes) are that dangerous, they should be classified with the other drugs and be totally illegal," said Erik Bell, 39, an assistant manager at the Domino's Pizza at E. Dublin Granville Road and Busch Boulevard.

Yes, they should, from a public health perspective. For historical reasons that is not possible -- too many Americans are addicted to make it feasible. But a government that doesnt try to discourage new smokers is a sick government, and you are far too dumb to be alllowed near a voting booth.
TLM

Madison, OH

#10 Jun 23, 2011
I roll my own.
Rich

Logan, OH

#11 Jun 23, 2011
Smokers put off by new warning labels? Then shouldn't the headline say New Labels Working?
Ohio Lawyer

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 23, 2011
Jim R wrote:
Alchohol CAN be used responsibly in moderation and may have some health benefits at a drink a day. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs going -- nobody with lung cancer will tell you they're glad they got hooked on nicotine as a kid.

No one has banned cigarettes. You people need a life.

“POOR BRAINWASHED ANTISMOKER”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#13 Jun 23, 2011
kids love stuff like this, just look at the movies they flock to see..good job anti smoking mafia, its good for big tobbacco
Freedom

Antioch, TN

#14 Jun 23, 2011
Next in line...hotdog packages with pictures of cancer ridden colons.

First they came for the smokers...
Smoke This

Duluth, GA

#15 Jun 23, 2011
DRINK UP wrote:
I just don't understand why smoking is treated so differently than alcohol. I've never known anyone killed by a smoking driver. Maybe you get the occasional house fire but candles probably cause more annually. If people want to kill themselves slowly so be it. Our gov't is a joke!
I think the joke is on you my little naive friend. Drivers that are smoking cause many accidents. "I was picking up my lit cigarette I dropped and I went in the other lane and CRASH". "I leaned over to get my cigarettes and CRASH". "I had a cigarette in one hand and the cell phone in the other and CRASH."

Google "house fires caused by a smoker" you'll quickly change your tune.
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#16 Jun 23, 2011
Let's put pictures of car crash victims on the dash board of cars. We also need pictures of motorcycle crash victims on the gas tanks and helemts. How about pictures of dead animals on meat packages? How about bad hearts on salt packages? What about bad stomachs on mexican food?

Oh, almost forgot we need pictures of kids with broken limbs on strollers because of the one stupid parent that actually folded the stroller with their child in it.

Smokers know the risks involved these days. There is no need to go farther. If the feds need to go this far then make it illegal. Oops, they can't because they make far too much revenue from the taxes.
GLL17

Johnson City, NY

#17 Jun 23, 2011
If smokers want yellow teeth, stink, look older than they are, wrinkles, expensive habit and possibly die an early death, let them. Their choice. And I highly doubt this new look is going to deter many of them to quit.

Since: Mar 11

Columbus, OH

#18 Jun 23, 2011
DRINK UP wrote:
And I've never known people to get lung cancer from Beer. Nor have I ever heard anything about the effects of "second hand drunkeness."
GLL17

Johnson City, NY

#19 Jun 23, 2011
And I've never known people to get lung cancer from Beer. Nor have I ever heard anything about the effects of "second hand drunkeness."

To your comment, second hand smoke can cause illnesses in others that breathe someone elses smoke. But what about the innocent person in another car that gets killed or injured by a drunk driver. That is second hand drunkeness!!
bosco

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 23, 2011
Fat people on candy wrappers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AEP silences #MeToo complaint 10 min Just_B_N_Me 32
NO negotiate on immigration until Demorats end... 16 min BizzyBee 1
Wonder what Martin Luther King would've thought... 28 min Yo Yo Yo 3
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 33 min Minister Young 342
Lib Democrats STILL upset over Hillary not winn... 37 min lol 16
DEMOCRATS say PAY Military but Republicans, Tru... 51 min BizzyBee 2
CRAZY Nancy HOLDS OUR MILITARY HOSTAGE ..... 52 min Capt Pepe 3
T Minus 4 3 2 1 ,,,, | Mueller Gone! 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 100
Trump BALD HEAD 3 hr Pickle Rick 171

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages