Why

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

With so many people out of work or underemployed for the work they can find, how can Columbus explain just 25 of their employees making over $1,289,328 (1.2 MILLION) dollars in overtime? Considering that these employees average regular pay is just over $50,000 each, the city could have hired another 20 to 25 employees. Hiring just ONE full time employee would be better than constantly paying the overtime. By the way 8 of the 25 were Police Communications Techs, 2 were police records techs, 1 was a Police Office Assistant, 1 was a Police Forensic Scientist and 6 were Police Officers who already make $72,432 dollars BEFORE overtime. Only 7 were from water or sewer where you might expect a lot of unscheduled overtime.

Remember, this is the overtime for just the top 25 employees who earned overtime in Columbus during 2013.
Why

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Judged:

Channel 10 did a story on this in mid January and channel 4 is doing a story on the same thing today at 5pm.
Pink Elephant

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Why wrote:
Channel 10 did a story on this in mid January and channel 4 is doing a story on the same thing today at 5pm.
Shilling for the local media?

Are they that desperate for viewers?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Why wrote:
With so many people out of work or underemployed for the work they can find, how can Columbus explain just 25 of their employees making over $1,289,328 (1.2 MILLION) dollars in overtime? Considering that these employees average regular pay is just over $50,000 each, the city could have hired another 20 to 25 employees. Hiring just ONE full time employee would be better than constantly paying the overtime. By the way 8 of the 25 were Police Communications Techs, 2 were police records techs, 1 was a Police Office Assistant, 1 was a Police Forensic Scientist and 6 were Police Officers who already make $72,432 dollars BEFORE overtime. Only 7 were from water or sewer where you might expect a lot of unscheduled overtime.
Remember, this is the overtime for just the top 25 employees who earned overtime in Columbus during 2013.
My guess: it's cheaper to pay the OT than the costs incurred through recruitment, training, and benefits. It's actually increases cost to hire on a new employee. The math works like this:

New employee salary + Benefits + Recruitment costs + Annual Training Costs is less than Current Employees + Overtime wages

In my industry, recruitment costs include the money needed to not only advertise the job but also to interview, select, and onboard a new employee. Then there is the cost to train. Add in additional benefits per new employee, which increases salary by as much as 1.5X to 2X. But I am not working in local government so my guesses could be off here.

No additional benefits or recruitment/initial training costs along with the OT.
Why

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Judged:

Pink Elephant wrote:
<quoted text>
Shilling for the local media?
Are they that desperate for viewers?
Considering this is Topix and there are so many false statements made on it everyday, I wanted to provide proof of what I posted, especially on something as outragious as this. If I were shilling, I would have only mentioned ONE source not the only two I am aware of. But, considering the facts of the situation, I would have shilled for one media outlet to get the info out there for open discussion, had I thought of it.

So who are you shilling for, maybe one of the people on the top 25 list or maybe you are one of the people on the top 25 list that is working overtime at the time you typed your message?
sidekick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

None of them is worth s F*** anyway.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Waste of money on regular time.
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

Why wrote:
I saw this story, which was excellent. This is the proper role of media, being a watch dog not a lap dog for the government's use of tax payer money.
Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess: it's cheaper to pay the OT than the costs incurred through recruitment, training, and benefits. It's actually increases cost to hire on a new employee. The math works like this:
New employee salary + Benefits + Recruitment costs + Annual Training Costs is less than Current Employees + Overtime wages
Also, it could be something else. My extended family members who used to work in factories would take all the overtime they could get their hands on. If my uncle were working for the city, he would be one of the people making 150k. Most others hate their jobs and go when the whistle blows.

Nothing wrong with either approach. My aunt and uncle's live a very prosperous retirement because of it.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
In my industry, recruitment costs include the money needed to not only advertise the job but also to interview, select, and onboard a new employee. Then there is the cost to train. Add in additional benefits per new employee, which increases salary by as much as 1.5X to 2X. But I am not working in local government so my guesses could be off here.
No additional benefits or recruitment/initial training costs along with the OT.
you said it perfectly.

and as soon as minimum wage goes up expect under performers fired, and everyone else absorb the work of lost positions.

Not true in public service. Public unions need abolished, and considered treasonous to the employer..........citizens.

Unions spend lots of money electing people to sign their contracts as a way of business.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, it could be something else. My extended family members who used to work in factories would take all the overtime they could get their hands on. If my uncle were working for the city, he would be one of the people making 150k. Most others hate their jobs and go when the whistle blows.
Nothing wrong with either approach. My aunt and uncle's live a very prosperous retirement because of it.
You could be right. I don't know if it's necessarily that others hate their jobs, but they may have other obligations too--like a second job or kids.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
you said it perfectly.
and as soon as minimum wage goes up expect under performers fired, and everyone else absorb the work of lost positions.
Not true in public service. Public unions need abolished, and considered treasonous to the employer..........citizens.
Unions spend lots of money electing people to sign their contracts as a way of business.
Considering that most businesses consider wages to be a fixed expense through budgeting, I tend to agree that raising the minimum wage is dangerous.
Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2014

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
You could be right. I don't know if it's necessarily that others hate their jobs, but they may have other obligations too--like a second job or kids.
I DON'T think you knock someone for taking overtime. It could be that he's just a hard worker or really wants the OT money.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2014

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON'T think you knock someone for taking overtime. It could be that he's just a hard worker or really wants the OT money.
I didn't knock anyone. Some hard workers hold down two jobs and raise families, too. Been there, done that. Just pointing out that each has his/her own obligations and priorities.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 min Willow 28,564
IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities 7 min Neutral Party 7
Water to be cut off overnight Sunday 18 min They cannot kill a Spook 2
When will Obama be Arrested???? 20 min Seriouslady 44
Should Obama be impeached due to Benghazi, IRS ... (May '13) 20 min Neutral Party 456
better tan any Fred Eaglesmith song..or joke... 27 min d pantz 39
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 27 min Neutral Party 2,725
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••