Why

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Feb 25, 2014
With so many people out of work or underemployed for the work they can find, how can Columbus explain just 25 of their employees making over $1,289,328 (1.2 MILLION) dollars in overtime? Considering that these employees average regular pay is just over $50,000 each, the city could have hired another 20 to 25 employees. Hiring just ONE full time employee would be better than constantly paying the overtime. By the way 8 of the 25 were Police Communications Techs, 2 were police records techs, 1 was a Police Office Assistant, 1 was a Police Forensic Scientist and 6 were Police Officers who already make $72,432 dollars BEFORE overtime. Only 7 were from water or sewer where you might expect a lot of unscheduled overtime.

Remember, this is the overtime for just the top 25 employees who earned overtime in Columbus during 2013.
Why

Chillicothe, OH

#2 Feb 25, 2014
Channel 10 did a story on this in mid January and channel 4 is doing a story on the same thing today at 5pm.
Pink Elephant

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Feb 25, 2014
Why wrote:
Channel 10 did a story on this in mid January and channel 4 is doing a story on the same thing today at 5pm.
Shilling for the local media?

Are they that desperate for viewers?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5 Feb 25, 2014
Why wrote:
With so many people out of work or underemployed for the work they can find, how can Columbus explain just 25 of their employees making over $1,289,328 (1.2 MILLION) dollars in overtime? Considering that these employees average regular pay is just over $50,000 each, the city could have hired another 20 to 25 employees. Hiring just ONE full time employee would be better than constantly paying the overtime. By the way 8 of the 25 were Police Communications Techs, 2 were police records techs, 1 was a Police Office Assistant, 1 was a Police Forensic Scientist and 6 were Police Officers who already make $72,432 dollars BEFORE overtime. Only 7 were from water or sewer where you might expect a lot of unscheduled overtime.
Remember, this is the overtime for just the top 25 employees who earned overtime in Columbus during 2013.
My guess: it's cheaper to pay the OT than the costs incurred through recruitment, training, and benefits. It's actually increases cost to hire on a new employee. The math works like this:

New employee salary + Benefits + Recruitment costs + Annual Training Costs is less than Current Employees + Overtime wages

In my industry, recruitment costs include the money needed to not only advertise the job but also to interview, select, and onboard a new employee. Then there is the cost to train. Add in additional benefits per new employee, which increases salary by as much as 1.5X to 2X. But I am not working in local government so my guesses could be off here.

No additional benefits or recruitment/initial training costs along with the OT.
Why

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Feb 25, 2014
Pink Elephant wrote:
<quoted text>
Shilling for the local media?
Are they that desperate for viewers?
Considering this is Topix and there are so many false statements made on it everyday, I wanted to provide proof of what I posted, especially on something as outragious as this. If I were shilling, I would have only mentioned ONE source not the only two I am aware of. But, considering the facts of the situation, I would have shilled for one media outlet to get the info out there for open discussion, had I thought of it.

So who are you shilling for, maybe one of the people on the top 25 list or maybe you are one of the people on the top 25 list that is working overtime at the time you typed your message?
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 25, 2014
None of them is worth s F*** anyway.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 25, 2014
Waste of money on regular time.
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 26, 2014
Why wrote:
Channel 10 did a story on this in mid January and channel 4 is doing a story on the same thing today at 5pm.
I saw this story, which was excellent. This is the proper role of media, being a watch dog not a lap dog for the government's use of tax payer money.
Enzyte Bob

Chicago, IL

#10 Feb 26, 2014
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess: it's cheaper to pay the OT than the costs incurred through recruitment, training, and benefits. It's actually increases cost to hire on a new employee. The math works like this:
New employee salary + Benefits + Recruitment costs + Annual Training Costs is less than Current Employees + Overtime wages
Also, it could be something else. My extended family members who used to work in factories would take all the overtime they could get their hands on. If my uncle were working for the city, he would be one of the people making 150k. Most others hate their jobs and go when the whistle blows.

Nothing wrong with either approach. My aunt and uncle's live a very prosperous retirement because of it.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 26, 2014
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess: it's cheaper to pay the OT than the costs incurred through recruitment, training, and benefits. It's actually increases cost to hire on a new employee. The math works like this:
New employee salary + Benefits + Recruitment costs + Annual Training Costs is less than Current Employees + Overtime wages
In my industry, recruitment costs include the money needed to not only advertise the job but also to interview, select, and onboard a new employee. Then there is the cost to train. Add in additional benefits per new employee, which increases salary by as much as 1.5X to 2X. But I am not working in local government so my guesses could be off here.
No additional benefits or recruitment/initial training costs along with the OT.
you said it perfectly.

and as soon as minimum wage goes up expect under performers fired, and everyone else absorb the work of lost positions.

Not true in public service. Public unions need abolished, and considered treasonous to the employer..........citizens.

Unions spend lots of money electing people to sign their contracts as a way of business.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#12 Feb 26, 2014
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, it could be something else. My extended family members who used to work in factories would take all the overtime they could get their hands on. If my uncle were working for the city, he would be one of the people making 150k. Most others hate their jobs and go when the whistle blows.
Nothing wrong with either approach. My aunt and uncle's live a very prosperous retirement because of it.
You could be right. I don't know if it's necessarily that others hate their jobs, but they may have other obligations too--like a second job or kids.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 26, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
you said it perfectly.
and as soon as minimum wage goes up expect under performers fired, and everyone else absorb the work of lost positions.
Not true in public service. Public unions need abolished, and considered treasonous to the employer..........citizens.
Unions spend lots of money electing people to sign their contracts as a way of business.
Considering that most businesses consider wages to be a fixed expense through budgeting, I tend to agree that raising the minimum wage is dangerous.
Enzyte Bob

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 26, 2014
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
You could be right. I don't know if it's necessarily that others hate their jobs, but they may have other obligations too--like a second job or kids.
I DON'T think you knock someone for taking overtime. It could be that he's just a hard worker or really wants the OT money.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#15 Feb 27, 2014
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON'T think you knock someone for taking overtime. It could be that he's just a hard worker or really wants the OT money.
I didn't knock anyone. Some hard workers hold down two jobs and raise families, too. Been there, done that. Just pointing out that each has his/her own obligations and priorities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris from Columbus - Frequent Radio Talk Show ... 46 min CCW 1
dub-v fan 1 hr Star On 47 2
Toddler In Stroller Hit By Car In West Columbus 1 hr Star On 47 4
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 1 hr dpx55 159
Where has Rowdy been 2 hr Seriouslady 4
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Male 3,981
Breaking: Second Nurse w/ Ebola flies with 99.5... 2 hr Male 122
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]