First Prev
of 149
Next Last

Since: Jun 13

Utopia, Ohio

#3123 Oct 22, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>My thoughts exactly. So who is this troll parading as a hammer from Columbus. A tool, for sure, but no where close to a hammer.
...Enters a minion.

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#3124 Oct 22, 2013
Gabriels Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Must you be reminded of your thrashing? LOL! Blow your hot air in the other direction. Maybe near one of your minions that will soon appear to back your play.
You truly are living in an alternate universe, aren't you, Quantrel? You have raised the art of projection to new heights.

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#3125 Oct 22, 2013
Gabriels Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
...Enters a minion.
We call each other friends, Daquan. There's a core group of twenty or so. Enjoy dealing with all of us...just as you did three times before (and then ran like a pansy.)

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#3126 Oct 22, 2013
Gabriels Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
...Enters a minion.
Are you Kosmik's creepy fat ex-girlfriend?

Utopia, Ohio

#3127 Oct 23, 2013
Trayvonius Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>We call each other friends, Daquan. There's a core group of twenty or so. Enjoy dealing with all of us...just as you did three times before (and then ran like a pansy.)
Dealing with you is of no consequence. If you're the best your group of friends has to offer...LOL!

It's evident you can carry on a factual relevant conversation without becoming an racial ignoramus. Signs of a socially inept bobble head. Was that the image you're trying to cast here? Shameful display. Where are the others? Will they now magically appear?

Utopia, Ohio

#3128 Oct 23, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>Are you Kosmik's creepy fat ex-girlfriend?
You must be the parrot on Peg leg Martinez's shoulder...Please keep your squawking to a minimum. Less embarrassing.

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#3129 Oct 23, 2013
Poor Gabby Hayes, the angry black tool...he can't resist coming back and reliving his previous beatings and then cries when like minded conservatives respond to his vacuous and banal posts.

Utopia, Ohio

#3130 Oct 24, 2013
Poor Gabby Hayes, the angry black tool...he can't resist coming back and reliving his previous beatings and then cries when like minded conservatives respond to his vacuous and banal posts.
Someone read a thesaurus today.

Previous beatings? LOL! You are a dolt.

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#3131 Oct 24, 2013
Gabriels Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone read a thesaurus today.
Previous beatings? LOL! You are a dolt.
My guess is you needed a dictionary as well, boy. And I know it must be hard for you to relive your past outings here...just swallow your anger and do yourself a favor by departing. You're only embarrassing yourself here.

Utopia, Ohio

#3132 Oct 24, 2013
<quoted text>My guess is you needed a dictionary as well, boy. And I know it must be hard for you to relive your past outings here...just swallow your anger and do yourself a favor by departing. You're only embarrassing yourself here.
Cyclothymic rage. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it. Thank you.

By the way, I'll leave when I'm good and damn ready. No bigoted bottom feeder will dictate my stay.

“Seven Days In May”

Hilliard, OH

#3133 Oct 24, 2013
Gabriels Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Cyclothymic rage. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it. Thank you.
By the way, I'll leave when I'm good and damn ready. No bigoted bottom feeder will dictate my stay.
We did three times before, booner. You'll be running away like a little b!tch in the near future. It's who you are...a quitter, and a weak one at that.

Utopia, Ohio

#3134 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>We did three times before, booner. You'll be running away like a little b!tch in the near future. It's who you are...a quitter, and a weak one at that.
You keep saying that. Sounds like fear. Of course you hope I'll go away. I've made you look like a fool in front of your minions.

Since: Jan 12

Detroit, MI

#3135 Oct 25, 2013
8 of 10 stories
What Happens When You Just Give Money To Poor People?
by David Kestenbaum
October 25, 2013 | 3 min 55 sec
Share Listen NowPlaylist
Jacob Goldstein/NPR
Enlarge for caption
For more of our reporting on this story, please see our work in The New York Times Magazine and on This American Life.

A couple of months ago, we reported on a charity called GiveDirectly that's trying to help poor people in the developing world in an unusual way: by sending them money with no strings attached.

The idea behind this is simple. Poor people know what they need, and if you give them money they can buy it.

But to some veterans of the charity world, giving cash is worrisome. When we first reported on this we spoke with Carol Bellamy, who used to run UNICEF, and who said people might spend the money on things like alcohol or gambling.

To see whether this was actually happening, researchers did an experiment. They surveyed people in Kenya who received money from GiveDirectly, and a similar group of people who didn't get money.

The results from the study are encouraging, says Johannes Haushofer, an economist at MIT's Poverty Action Lab who was one of the study's co-authors.

"We don't see people spending money on alcohol and tobacco," he says. "Instead we see them investing in their kids' education, we see them investing in health care. They buy more and better food."

People used the money to buy cows and start businesses. Their kids went hungry less often.

(Full disclosure: Haushofer's co-author helped found GiveDirectly but no longer works there. The study, which is described here, was done in partnership with Innovations for Poverty Action.)

I ran the results by Bellamy, the former UNICEF director who had been skeptical about giving cash. "I was impressed," she says. "The return on investment was more positive than I would have anticipated."

There were two areas where the study did not find significant improvement. Even though households were spending more on health and education, it didn't seem to be having much effect. People who got money were sick just as often as those who got less. And school attendance rates for their kids didn't really change. Bellamy says those findings suggest that, while cash seems to help in the short run, it's still unclear whether it helps in the long run.

Paul Niehaus, one of GiveDirectly's founders, does think cash can have long-lasting effects. He points to a similar study in Uganda where the government gave people money and people's incomes went up and stayed up, even years later. People had used the money to start small businesses, like metal working or tailoring clothes.

Niehaus says for him, the most interesting results from the new research were the improvements in mental health. Getting money made people happier, less stressed out.

"There is this growing realization that being poor is really stressful, and that that can make it hard to organize your life and plan and make good decisions," Niehaus says. "If one of the things that giving people wealth is doing is enabling them to feel more sane and more in control of their life, that could ultimately be one of the more important things."

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/ .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 149
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
happy thanksgiving everyone! 11 min They cannot kill ... 7
Wilson 's "injuries" 21 min Black Rhino 33
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 53 min Black Rhino 376
Ferguson Protest 2 hr Neutral Party 6
Protest Tomorrow Night 2 hr Neutral Party 2
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Neutral Party 4,628
About 200 march peacefully in Columbus to prote... 8 hr Oliver Canterbury 5
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 19 hr Cosgrove 2,522
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:03 pm PST

ESPN 2:03PM
RB Jackson to Whitner: Don't talk down to Bills