In Defense of Stereotypes
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2127 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I like jokes too.
Sister Mary Catherine and Sister Mary Elizabeth are walking through the park when they are jumped by two thugs. Their habits are ripped from them and the men begin to sexually assault them.
Sister Mary Catherine casts her eyes heavenward and cries, "Forgive him Lord, for he knows not what he is doing!"
Mary Elizabeth turns and says, "Mine does..."
woof
I'm even worse than you are in the irreverence department. I probably would have made a joke about the two nuns going at it.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2128 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
And where do I say in that two word post that only I know right from wrong?
Your standard is your brain.
Does everyone share your brain?
Lord, I hope not.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2129 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>With Priest, it got petty...right down to song selection for the games, game promotions, videos (no more classics like Jody Shelley as Tony Soprano) and even discouraging Kevin Schroeder from doing his thing.
Peter Principle on display yet again. You have to know what you have a knack for, and stay away from things you know nothing about. Priest should stick to his spreadsheets and leave the marketing and consumer side to people who know better.

Location hidden

#2130 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
So Christianity is not the source of morality. That's all any atheist here has said. I'm glad you agree.
God is absolutely the source of morality.
Those who follow Him are not "guaranteed" moral perfection in this life.

That's just a weak argument bandied about by hateful atheists.
They have so little that brings them happiness in this life.

Diamond Eugene

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#2131 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you, a Catholic, are the one who raised the issue, and therefore, that would not make sense whatsoever.
3.1, huh?
woof
No, because douche cannot criticize anything even remotely connected to Islam.
That's a 3.1 plus the truth.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2132 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/T76DKCJ0S...
The proposition is that behaviors are not deemed moral simply because a society practices them.
Ms. MPNF then went off on a tangent blaming slavery on Christianity, and most of the world's problems on all religion...which is all very interesting because, as it turns out, she really doesn't have a problem with any forebears having practiced slavery -- she doesn't find it immoral.
Nope. She just hates Christians and all religion in general.
Proving that discussions with these Helen Keller types are not very productive.
Wow. You really like to take very simple and plain statements and blow them into grand, sweeping generalizations. If someone said they didn't like prunes, you would declare that they hate all fruit.

Location hidden

#2133 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You really like to take very simple and plain statements and blow them into grand, sweeping generalizations. If someone said they didn't like prunes, you would declare that they hate all fruit.
You've pegged MPNF perfectly.

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2134 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like you people telling us that we hate all blacks...
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2135 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm torn on this issue.

Not that I am a great font of historic knowledge, but I do tend to know the basics and how it fits in with the big picture. Christianity didn't arise in a vacuum. Christianity incorporated certain elements of pagan morality and ritual as well. Christians came up with a code of conduct that reflects a lot of wisdom, and for the most part works.

Now, whether that was divinely inspired or not, who knows? I believe it was divinely inspired because the people who wrote this were bright and bright people generally don't seem to think this way.

On the other hand, although for me, God is the glue that holds all of this together, since some of the same rituals and teachings existed in the pagan religions, I'm going to say there is an argument to be made that this is just a natural evolution of things.

I don't necessarily understand "God" in a legalistic sense, as a set of rules and rituals you "have" to follow. Maybe you have to as a child so that these things sink in. But as an adult, these rules are mostly the proper way to live, and the key to financial and personal prosperity.

As I've mentioned before, the Roman pagans considered the early Christians to be athiests. Considering what people like you and I think about Scientologists, Hare Krishnas, Mormons and even Moslems, I can see that.

OTOH, I also wonder how much of this was passed down verbally in the verbal history from generation to generation?

Who knows?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2136 Oct 3, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm torn on this issue.
Not that I am a great font of historic knowledge, but I do tend to know the basics and how it fits in with the big picture. Christianity didn't arise in a vacuum. Christianity incorporated certain elements of pagan morality and ritual as well. Christians came up with a code of conduct that reflects a lot of wisdom, and for the most part works.
Now, whether that was divinely inspired or not, who knows? I believe it was divinely inspired because the people who wrote this were bright and bright people generally don't seem to think this way.
On the other hand, although for me, God is the glue that holds all of this together, since some of the same rituals and teachings existed in the pagan religions, I'm going to say there is an argument to be made that this is just a natural evolution of things.
I don't necessarily understand "God" in a legalistic sense, as a set of rules and rituals you "have" to follow. Maybe you have to as a child so that these things sink in. But as an adult, these rules are mostly the proper way to live, and the key to financial and personal prosperity.
As I've mentioned before, the Roman pagans considered the early Christians to be athiests. Considering what people like you and I think about Scientologists, Hare Krishnas, Mormons and even Moslems, I can see that.
OTOH, I also wonder how much of this was passed down verbally in the verbal history from generation to generation?
Who knows?
"Who knows?" is absolutely correct. Base on what I have read here, I am not banking on Tip having any inside information whatsoever.

woof

Location hidden

#2138 Oct 3, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm torn on this issue.
Now, whether that was divinely inspired or not, who knows?...
God wrote morality on our hearts when He gifted each of us with a conscience.
The written Law merely confirms His truth.

Romans 2:6-16

He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury. There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2139 Oct 3, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do LIKE and LIVE IN mean the same thing, Pickapaco?
Precision in language is important. Maybe not at Colby College, but for the rest of us it is.
So, people move here but don't like it, booner? Or only old people who live here like it?
The inability of you NE Ohio tools to admit you've been burned just confirms your status as complete lowlifes.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2140 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>So, people move here but don't like it, booner? Or only old people who live here like it?
The inability of you NE Ohio tools to admit you've been burned just confirms your status as complete lowlifes.
You seem to be quite unhappy with some things there.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2141 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
God wrote morality on our hearts when He gifted each of us with a conscience.
The written Law merely confirms His truth.
Romans 2:6-16
He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury. There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.
For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

woof
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2142 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your standard is your brain.
Does everyone share your brain?
Lord, I hope not.
You need to just stick with blindly following what you believe your ancient book tells you because the whole thinking for yourself thing is a good fit for you.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2143 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
They do? The atheists I know are down right ecstatic.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2144 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of like you people telling us that we hate all blacks...
No. Your easy and frequent use of the word "Ni###r" tells us that.

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2145 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be quite unhappy with some things there.
woof
Love Hilliard, Dublin and the like. Columbus is in need of some changes.

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2146 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Your easy and frequent use of the word "Ni###r" tells us that.
You never learn, do you?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2147 Oct 3, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I just don't patronize you.
Regardless of its official number, it's still one of the largest gay populations in the country. Much to your chagrin, I'm sure.
Wah! You are plugging my ears and covering your eyes! No truth but what you declare, right?

You were given fact and then you run away from it because it isn't what you believe to be true, much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tired of trump's lies yet? 5 min d pants 153
Bipartisan bill to protect dreamers 7 hr They cannot kill ... 29
BREAKING: John Glenn Croaks!!! 7 hr They cannot kill ... 17
West Mansfield Fats 🍔🍟🍕... 9 hr UTrashy 16
$125 BILLION Pentagon waste.. 10 hr UTrashy 21
People of Topix 17 hr UTrashy 39
Drumpf's Latest Cabinet Picks: Mayor McCheese, ... 19 hr anonymous 12

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance