In Defense of Stereotypes
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2107 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
History documents that the worldwide imperialistic and economic foundations of slavery predate these United States of America by several thousand years. As Caribbean historian Eric Williams stated, "...a racial twist has...been given to what is basically an economic phenomenon. Slavery was not born of racism: rather, racism was the consequence of slavery."
While I do not intend to initiate a discussion of the Civil War here, it is a fact that slavery was born of economics and that the War was driven by economics...and not by slavery.
Nevertheless, your continual assertion that all white Westerners are Christian and, therefore, all Western societies are driven by Christian motives is asinine. Worse, is your ridiculous inference that Christianity is a "guarantee of morality."
All human beings are imperfect.
Even you.
That you ignore the hypocrisy of atheists...but allow the hypocrisy of some Christians to define your views is revealing.
Sister Mary Frances' ruler must've left scars on those knuckles.
So...believe what you will, but I agree with Michael Gerson:
"The failure of human beings to meet their own ideals does not disprove or discredit those ideals. The fact that some are cowards does not make courage a myth. The fact that some are faithless does not make fidelity a joke. All moral standards create the possibility of hypocrisy. But I would rather live among those who recognize standards and fail to meet them than among those who mock all standards as lies. In the end, hypocrisy is preferable to decadence."
You are afflicted with Nate's short term memory problems. It was you that asserted that Christianity was the source of morality. You then injected slavery into the discussion as some sort of proof of that proposition.

The most fascinating part of your post, however, is this:

"Nevertheless, your continual assertion that all white Westerners are Christian and, therefore, all Western societies are driven by Christian motives is asinine. Worse, is your ridiculous inference that Christianity is a 'guarantee of morality.'"

I have never asserted any such thing. In fact, I reject the notion completely. But it is the very position that you have been asserting on these threads for months. It's wonderful how easily you change your mind and call it asinine.

Diamond Eugene

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#2108 Oct 3, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If nothing else, at least when I hear John Davidson in the media I don't hear some monotoned, half asleep robot talking to the media. Between Nash, Howson and anybody else I ever saw speaking on behalf of the Jackets, I always thought that half the reason their team has sucked is because they all have the personalities of button down corporate clones.
Having human beings unafraid to show a little personality definitely warms me to the Jackets. Under the old regime, I felt about as warm to them as I do to my cable company.
You're not the only one who felt that way...it's been mentioned in The Hockey News and on TSN. That was the doing of Mike Priest, who now stays in the shadows where he belongs.
Ever wonder why Jim Day isn't on the CBJ broadcast team anymore? or Brian Engblom? That was Priest...he was furious at the slightest criticism of the team by anyone associated with it. He even muzzled Hitch more than anyone ever had, before or after his stint here. What they did to him was a crime.
Watch for Boll, Umberger and Gaborik to open up a lot on camera this season. And Jody Shelley will tear it up on the radio broadcasts.
Now if they could just get rid of Rimer.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2109 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
So...only your brain knows right and wrong?
Amazing stuff.
I said that where? You really like to make quantum leaps of "logic."
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2110 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>"Voted" to end it? Who were the people who campaigned and were the driving force behind educating the population and raising the consciousness of Western society?
Are you really as dense as you appear at times?
Repeating your deficient argument does not magically make it correct.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2111 Oct 3, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never once did I say slavery was moral. Quote me where I did - double dog dare you.
So, they found slavery to be immoral, but had slaves anyway. Yeah, that makes sense.
To review, slavery had been a standard global practice for thousands of years.

Further, scientific thinkers of the time, such as Thomas Jefferson, believed the black race to be inferior to others and suited to such labors. A century later, Abraham Lincoln believed much the same. But both -- and many others -- understood the idea of one human owning another to be contradictory to the freedoms granted by our Constitution and found by faith in Jesus Christ.

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2112 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
They were white, Christian, and male.
Therefore, mulligans on violations of the Christian moral code applied that otherwise might not.
That's the way she goes.
woof
Is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_U...

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2113 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.
So you use the silly beads and people like me while others use a pyramid by the litter box.
Whatever floats yer boat Paco.
woof
Odd... no mention of the Misbaha.
Why is that, douche?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2114 Oct 3, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
That's similar to the joke I use with my lefty acquaintances during the "holidays."
I always say to them, "Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or Happy Crystal Day or whatever it is you lefties worship."
I like jokes too.

Sister Mary Catherine and Sister Mary Elizabeth are walking through the park when they are jumped by two thugs. Their habits are ripped from them and the men begin to sexually assault them.

Sister Mary Catherine casts her eyes heavenward and cries, "Forgive him Lord, for he knows not what he is doing!"

Mary Elizabeth turns and says, "Mine does..."

woof

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2115 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating your deficient argument does not magically make it correct.
You don't read very well. But your argument is still as moronic as ever.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2116 Oct 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
You got a string o' beads with a toy guy on a cross that you use to help you feel better about yourself as an imperfect human being, right?
woof
Like Lenny Bruce said, good thing they didn't have the electric chair back then.

Location hidden

#2117 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are afflicted with Nate's short term memory problems. It was you that asserted that Christianity was the source of morality. You then injected slavery into the discussion as some sort of proof of that proposition.
The most fascinating part of your post, however, is this:
"Nevertheless, your continual assertion that all white Westerners are Christian and, therefore, all Western societies are driven by Christian motives is asinine. Worse, is your ridiculous inference that Christianity is a 'guarantee of morality.'"
I have never asserted any such thing. In fact, I reject the notion completely. But it is the very position that you have been asserting on these threads for months. It's wonderful how easily you change your mind and call it asinine.
Indeed, God is the source of universal truth.
And Christianity proclaims that truth to imperfect humans.

Now...WHO brought up slavery and specifically blamed it on Christianity?

http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/T76DKCJ0S...
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2118 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>You're not the only one who felt that way...it's been mentioned in The Hockey News and on TSN. That was the doing of Mike Priest, who now stays in the shadows where he belongs.
What do you expect when you have an accountant in charge? Not to mention someone corporate.(And this is someone with an accounting undergrad speaking.)
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever wonder why Jim Day isn't on the CBJ broadcast team anymore? or Brian Engblom? That was Priest...he was furious at the slightest criticism of the team by anyone associated with it. He even muzzled Hitch more than anyone ever had, before or after his stint here. What they did to him was a crime.
Watch for Boll, Umberger and Gaborik to open up a lot on camera this season. And Jody Shelley will tear it up on the radio broadcasts.
Now if they could just get rid of Rimer.
Not really that much different than the RINO approach to governing. Act button-downed, don't make waves.

It's Tressel-speak, except they didn't have Tressel's charm (or W-L record) to pull it off.

You can do all the "happy, happy," say nothing offensive, "always say positive things" PR when you have an operation like Ohio State that has a structure in place that allows it to always win (namely a Big Ten with at most three or four competitive teams). But an operation like the Blue Jackets? You'd better bring some personality and a little bit of hucksterism, enthusiasm and controversy to the table or people aren't going to stay interested.

Location hidden

#2119 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
...If Christianity was a guarantee of morality, as your thesis seems to suggest...
I suggest you take your own medicine...again, zealot.
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
That statement by Tip assumes things that aren't true. He is just like Nate and it is a symptom of their religious zealotry. They insist on defining other people's positions, truth be damned, so that it neatly fits into their narrative.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2120 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, God is the source of universal truth.
And Christianity proclaims that truth to imperfect humans.
Now...WHO brought up slavery and specifically blamed it on Christianity?
Always wanting to add qualifiers to the discussion. Another 3.1 tactic. You first injected slavery into the discussion, try as you might to deny it.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2121 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you take your own medicine...again, zealot.
<quoted text>
So Christianity is not the source of morality. That's all any atheist here has said. I'm glad you agree.

Location hidden

#2122 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that where? You really like to make quantum leaps of "logic."
Your response to the question, "Upon what standard do you define right and wrong?"

Diamond Eugene

Hilliard, OH

#2123 Oct 3, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you expect when you have an accountant in charge? Not to mention someone corporate.(And this is someone with an accounting undergrad speaking.)
<quoted text>
Not really that much different than the RINO approach to governing. Act button-downed, don't make waves.
It's Tressel-speak, except they didn't have Tressel's charm (or W-L record) to pull it off.
You can do all the "happy, happy," say nothing offensive, "always say positive things" PR when you have an operation like Ohio State that has a structure in place that allows it to always win (namely a Big Ten with at most three or four competitive teams). But an operation like the Blue Jackets? You'd better bring some personality and a little bit of hucksterism, enthusiasm and controversy to the table or people aren't going to stay interested.
With Priest, it got petty...right down to song selection for the games, game promotions, videos (no more classics like Jody Shelley as Tony Soprano) and even discouraging Kevin Schroeder from doing his thing.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2124 Oct 3, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>Odd... no mention of the Misbaha.
Why is that, douche?
Because you, a Catholic, are the one who raised the issue, and therefore, that would not make sense whatsoever.

3.1, huh?

woof
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#2125 Oct 3, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response to the question, "Upon what standard do you define right and wrong?"
And where do I say in that two word post that only I know right from wrong?

Location hidden

#2126 Oct 3, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Always wanting to add qualifiers to the discussion. Another 3.1 tactic. You first injected slavery into the discussion, try as you might to deny it.

The proposition is that behaviors are not deemed moral simply because a society practices them.

Ms. MPNF then went off on a tangent blaming slavery on Christianity, and most of the world's problems on all religion...which is all very interesting because, as it turns out, she really doesn't have a problem with any forebears having practiced slavery -- she doesn't find it immoral.

Nope. She just hates Christians and all religion in general.
Proving that discussions with these Helen Keller types are not very productive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tired of trump's lies yet? 4 min They cannot kill ... 49
People of Topix 31 min 1 and 1 and 1 is 3 14
Drumpf's Latest Cabinet Picks: Mayor McCheese, ... 31 min Reality Speaks 12
Make America Great Again 33 min Reality Speaks 401
$125 BILLION Pentagon waste.. 37 min The Widower 18
Trump dumps "Hail to the Chief" for new anthem 2 hr Seriouslesbian 2
OMG! Trump scores $50 Billion for Americans! 2 hr Reality Speaks 74
Religion in our schools..... 2 hr Reality Speaks 250

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web