Diabetic driver charged in multiple c...

Diabetic driver charged in multiple crashes pleads no contest | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 68 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 26, 2011, titled Diabetic driver charged in multiple crashes pleads no contest | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Fairfield County diabetic driver accused of injuring three people in three separate crashes last year after he had a low-blood-sugar "blackout" pleaded no contest this morning to 12 minor misdemeanors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
EXCUSE ME

Grove City, OH

#61 Apr 26, 2011
U R AN ARSE wrote:
<quoted text>
Most type II diabetics are because they are overweight! That came directly from a doctors mouth! Type II can be controlled through diet and weight loss!!! Type I can only be controlled through insulin shots 3 to 6 times a day!! Type II is almost always related to eating habits and weight so don't tell me Type II's are not always fat, they probably were at some point in their life until they started eating healthy!! Type I's can be fat too, but type I's have a medical condition that causes them to have it, pancrius stops producing insulin!!! Type II is almost always controlled with diet, weight loss and a pill called medform or something like that. Funny even doctors call type II diabetics the "Fat or overweight" persons diabetes!! I'm just saying what I was told!
Type II diabetes can be inherited. My mother was a diabetic. At 34 I became a diabetic, not because of weight or eating habits, but my pancreas start to not function properly. I also have two sisters and a brother that have the same gene deficiency. I lived like this for 13 years when my pancreas stopped producing insulin and now I am a Type I diabetic. For those that have never experienced a "low sugar episode" you have no idea what it's like. Usually there are signs leading up to the episode - and it's different for everyone but confusion can be common - but there are times that it will happen suddenly, especially if you are stressed, not feeling well, busier than normal or for no apparent reason. No matter how hard you try to control the diabetes, there are times when it just happens. I carry a glucometer with me at all times along with a glucose source. When I am driving by myself I keep a bottle of orange juice with me for that unexpected sudden drop. And by the way, for the uneducated, it's not just sugar and sweets that cause elevated glucose results. It's carbohydrates. Just as people that have suffered heart attacks can lead a normal life, diabetics can also. There are more deaths from accidents caused by a drunk driver than diabetics or heart attack victims. It's not fun being a diabetic, but it's even worse when you have people criticizing you for what they assume were your eating and exercise habits. Sometimes it's hard to let water run off your back.
dave

Columbus, OH

#62 Apr 26, 2011
Citizen wrote:
Gosh have a little sympathy. I am new as a diabetic and pulled into a parking lot stopped my car because I felt really ill, disoriented and well really didn't understand what was happening.(gee my blood sugar level was so low that my brain wasn't working either). Prior to actually stopping I "nicked" a tail light of a parked car. Well of course even while trying to explain to the owner my condition she went insane thinking I am intoxicated and of course called the police. Needless to say I was detained till my husband arrived by this ill informed officer too long and ended up at the emergency room. I have been checking my blood sugar more frequently. Any suggestions I don't want to get in trouble or have people think that I am some kind of drunk either.
yea stay off the roads...you should not be allowed to drive
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#64 Apr 27, 2011
EXCUSE ME wrote:
<quoted text> Type II diabetes can be inherited. My mother was a diabetic. At 34 I became a diabetic, not because of weight or eating habits, but my pancreas start to not function properly. I also have two sisters and a brother that have the same gene deficiency. I lived like this for 13 years when my pancreas stopped producing insulin and now I am a Type I diabetic. For those that have never experienced a "low sugar episode" you have no idea what it's like. Usually there are signs leading up to the episode - and it's different for everyone but confusion can be common - but there are times that it will happen suddenly, especially if you are stressed, not feeling well, busier than normal or for no apparent reason. No matter how hard you try to control the diabetes, there are times when it just happens. I carry a glucometer with me at all times along with a glucose source. When I am driving by myself I keep a bottle of orange juice with me for that unexpected sudden drop. And by the way, for the uneducated, it's not just sugar and sweets that cause elevated glucose results. It's carbohydrates. Just as people that have suffered heart attacks can lead a normal life, diabetics can also. There are more deaths from accidents caused by a drunk driver than diabetics or heart attack victims. It's not fun being a diabetic, but it's even worse when you have people criticizing you for what they assume were your eating and exercise habits. Sometimes it's hard to let water run off your back.
You do not die from Diabetes ... you die from complications from Diabetes.(Kidney Failure, Heart Attack, Circulation etc.) The man was correct in saying that Type II can be controlled by diet and exercise but most cases need medication also. But like you said it is not all about the sweets it is about the Carbs to. If they are not Diabetics then they have no idea what it is like to change ones eating habits along with the right exercise.

I found out I was Diabetic when I was 38 ... my Father was 55 when we found out about his so no one in my family ever suspected we had it in our family until then. I was around 130 in weight so it was not caused from being fat (like some assume). People usually do gain weight when they are trying to find the right diet and exercise. Some refer to Diabetics big stomaches as a Diabetic stomach. Like I said they have no idea until they have to go through it themselves.

As for knowing when you sugar is dropping ... there are signs that I cannot understand why people do not acknowledge when they are happening. When my sugar starts to drop the first thing I feel is light headed, shakey & sweaty ... there is enough time to pull over before it becomes dangerous. Like you know you are Diabetic it is you job to make sure you are safe as well as others by taking your sugars regularly and make sure you have something close by incase it does drop. That to me is common sense.

I do believe that people that have a hard time controlling theirs should not be driving.
Common Sense

Westerville, OH

#65 Apr 27, 2011
What a senseless man. This guy should not be driving ever. His license should be revoked, permanently.

Since: Jan 10

New York, NY

#67 Apr 27, 2011
Ohioan wrote:
<quoted text> This man nearly killed 3 people, and you defend his right to drive a car. Perhaps, you should shut your hole or limit your discussions to local issues in New York. Did your vagina come as an option on your little vwbug or was it standard on the " **** " edition?
First off, I live in Ohio--the IP address my web activity is routed through is in NYC. Secondly, yes, I do defend his right to drive a car. At least we should be consistent in this state--if you can get pulled over time and time again for DUI and still have the ability the retain your license, the same should apply to this guy and diabetics shouldn't be singled out.

Now, you idiot twankhole, did you see how civil the paragraph above was to respond to your ignorant reply? I hold this paragraph exempt from such courtesy.

Since: Jan 10

New York, NY

#68 Apr 27, 2011
Ohioan wrote:
Apparently, you can't call someone a D.O.U.C.H.E-bag
Yes, you can--and you certainly fit the definition.
EXCUSE ME

Grove City, OH

#69 Apr 27, 2011
Common Sense wrote:
What a senseless man. This guy should not be driving ever. His license should be revoked, permanently.
Before this day, how many times has this man had an accident or received a ticket for reckless driving related to his condition? How many times does it take for a drunk driver to receive a ticket for OMVI before their license is revoked, permanently? How often do you hear about a diabetic causing an accident that resulted in a death? How often do you hear about a drunk driver causing an accident that resulted in a death? A diabetic does not get behind the wheel of a car knowing they are impaired - the impairment can just happen.
Kellie

Eddyville, OR

#70 Jun 24, 2013
My 11 year old little girl was killed by a man claiming to have had a diabetic problem. It has been 11 weeks and he still has not been charged and I don't know if he will be. In my eyes not checking your blood sugar before driving is RECKLESS.
I love you Kylie Hornych. May no more lives be lost. Search her name is you want to see her story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
935000 signatures to boycott Target 18 min Male 86
Kasich just doesn't care 36 min Linda 33
News Free lunches in Columbus schools unwittingly se... 51 min Three Days 21
California rejects John Wayne Day due to commen... 53 min Oliver Canterberr... 2
Woman dies after injecting Vaseline into breasts (Mar '14) 1 hr Linda 9
Do Larger Breasts Equal Bigger Tips? (Oct '15) 1 hr Linda 23
Brief history of the swimsuit 1 hr Linda 18
Men in the Girls Bathroom 2 hr Male 176
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages