What are they teaching in schools?

Posted in the Columbus Forum

VADoc

Bluffton, SC

#1 May 26, 2013
My wife and I got ice cream at Hilton head last night. The ice cream was $9 total. The young girl working the cash register had to use a calculator to figure out what change to give us when I handed her a $20. Then she gave us back two $10 bills. I said "Ms. You gave us the wrong change." She said "no I didn't sir." I dropped her a dollar in the tip jar.

What are they teaching these kids in school? I mean she was wearing a Hilton head high school shirt so she has to be going to one of the best funded public schools in the state!
They cannot kill a spook

Chicago, IL

#2 May 26, 2013
VADoc wrote:
My wife and I got ice cream at Hilton head last night. The ice cream was $9 total. The young girl working the cash register had to use a calculator to figure out what change to give us when I handed her a $20. Then she gave us back two $10 bills. I said "Ms. You gave us the wrong change." She said "no I didn't sir." I dropped her a dollar in the tip jar.
What are they teaching these kids in school? I mean she was wearing a Hilton head high school shirt so she has to be going to one of the best funded public schools in the state!
Evidently not math in Hilton Head high.

When I have an idiot for.a cashier I ask them if were top of their class in public school.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#3 May 26, 2013
Not sure if I would have left a tip. The clerk wanted to give away money, so guess she didn't need it.

I've had the same happen to me in other areas. Have been in Starbucks, had a $5.75 or so bill for a coffee and muffin in Erie PA a year or so back. Gave the "barista" a $10, got $5.25 back in change. LOL. I don't fight it any longer, used to, but found the math lessons fly over their heads. I get the deer in the headlights look, and I thank the heavens I'm not the manager responsible for balancing the register at the end of the day.
VADoc

Aiken, SC

#4 May 27, 2013
Lord help them if you give them more money than needed to get back even change. I did that at a McDonald's once and I thought the poor girl was going to stroke out trying to figure it out.
They cannot kill a spook

Chicago, IL

#5 May 27, 2013
VADoc wrote:
Lord help them if you give them more money than needed to get back even change. I did that at a McDonald's once and I thought the poor girl was going to stroke out trying to figure it out.
Try using two dollar bills dollar coiyns and half dollars. No place for them in a cash drawer. Watch them look at a two dollar bill like you handed them a gold bar or a dog turd.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6 May 27, 2013
There's also adult customers who will, for $2.09 give you two dollar bills a dime and a nickel. What they are thinking I have no idea. And so you hand them back their nickel and a penny.

Remember, just because something was taught doesn't mean it was learned.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7 May 27, 2013
They cannot kill a spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Try using two dollar bills dollar coiyns and half dollars. No place for them in a cash drawer. Watch them look at a two dollar bill like you handed them a gold bar or a dog turd.
One guy tried pay with $2 bills at a Taco Bell a few years back. The cashier looked at 'em, then called his manager over. The manager accused the customer of passing funny money and called the cops. Even one of the cops didn't know it was legal. So yeah if you want all that hassle, go ahead and use that stuff.
The Numismatist

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8 May 29, 2013
VADoc wrote:
I bet you collect stamps.
VADoc

United States

#9 May 29, 2013
The Numismatist wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you collect stamps.
You'd bet wrong little fella.:-)

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#10 May 29, 2013
Public school students are being taught that they can choose their own sexual identity.
No one should be surprised, then, that mathemathics courses render...2 + 2 = 5.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#11 May 29, 2013
Liberal Public Schools are teaching kids to put condoms on cucumbers, not math.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 4 min Big Papa Tea 282
Was the "War On Christmas" cancelled this year? 35 min I Do Know 1
Another Epic Obama Accomplishment 57 min Reality Speaks 10
Rootin Tootin Putin 1 hr Reality Speaks 5
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 1 hr Reality Speaks 240
Obscene Bumber Stickers 3 hr They cannot kill ... 11
Should Witchcraft or Pagan Shops be 18+ ? 3 hr What 13
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web