Bob Hunter commentary: Even OSU's 'worst case' isn't end of the world | BuckeyeXtra

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Ohio State must replace seven starters on defense and face five games at the start of the season without coach Jim Tressel, above, and five of its best players.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of299
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
wastherethen

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Leave it to a Dispatch cheerleader to write a column downplaying the severity of the catastrophe swamping OSU.
Stuck in the Stone Age

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Overcoming denial: the first step to recovery. Tressel is done. OSU football will go on, as it always has. But there's no denying the negative impact of Tressel's actions, like there wasn't for O'Brien. But it's over.

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Bob,

An adult perspective - finally. Thank you.

Unfortunately, torch-carrying villagers here and around the country with years of axes to grind currently own the podium. They can't be bothered with context. They would like Tressel AND Ohio State, its fans, and Sloopy -- to all set sail down the Olentangy. Need proof? Read their replies to this post.

On a total aside...

Why do some NCAA investigations take weeks (Cam Newton) while others take years (Jerry Tarkanian). They are going to let the Jim Tressel investigation marinate over the Summer then meet with Gordon Gee in August (he's free this morning for coffee?) and then NOT decide Tressel's fate until AFTER the 2011 season per ESPN yesterday.

Their investigations er, should be investigated.
going back to bed

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

I can't think of even one lame reason why I should care about any of this. ZZZzzzzzz....
Disciplina in civitatem

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

True enough about the real impact of whatever the NCAA does (at least short of the dreaded death penalty) on the wins and losses.

The real worst case, though, is already here, and will continue for Tressel's lifetime (he seems to have the job for as long as he wants it) unless the NCAA does what the University seems not to have the spine to do for itself: the face of the football team is a liar (the University does not contest this) who will play ineligible players whenever he thinks he won't be caught.

This is a very bad scenario, indeed, and we already have it.
lsuguy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

no real cause for hysteria? maybe not , but you should be a little stressed... good luck
Buckeye Strong

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Bob, you really made me laugh today. Thanks for attempting to put it into prospective for those who don't get it. The sky isn't falling here in C-bus, The Ohio State University is alive and well (I was there last night) and it's going to be a long summer for all you impatient folk. GO BUCKS!!
Lost nut in Michigan

Grand Blanc, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

With the exception of JT contacting the FBI, none of this is really new.

I am curoius why he did though
Houston Buckeye

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

The offense was minor---trading stuff for tatoos. But lying about it is major. I won't throw stones, Lord knows that I've made many mistakes in my life. But Coach Tressel taking one for the team will cost him his job. What a sad ending to a stellar career.
WHS76

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Perception means alot.
Rick

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Football is a game, and it is a game that has rules which must be followed. There is a reason the rule book is as thick as it is. Over the 142 years of college football, people have tried to do what the rule book excludes. And one of those things which is excluded is lying to your boss and the NCAA. They even went as far as to be specific about that. Then he lied about it in a press conference to the entire world. There is a problem here that is deeper than just jersey's or tattoos. It is the concept some coaches and athletes have that they are above the rules. Tressel lied more than once thinking it would all turn out okay. Well, chalk one up to the rule book. His players didn't even lie about it. They stepped up and faced the issue and told the truth when asked. Here is an example of the children teaching the adult. Learn your lesson, professor Tressel, and face the real punishment for your continued arogance.
Wilma Fingerdo

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

"They went 12-1 on the field and everyone knows that. Whether they deserved to win those games doesn't matter after the fact. No amount of NCAA scrubbing can take the season away."

Are you kidding me? If this scandal happened in New York or Washington DC the investigative journalists there would been all over this story like slime on Tressel. The Dispatch (Hunter) is the biggest cheerleader OSU has. Just wait until Pryor and his buddies are deposed and have to tell, under oath, what the Old Ball Coach told them to do to keep this all quiet.

At the end of it all, this is going to be one of the biggest scandals of all time in college sports. The stench from this will be attached to not only the OSU football program, but the entire University. It will be Watergate and the Black Sox Scandal for OSU for 100 years. But Mr. Hunter says all is not lost, we were 12-1 last year no matter what. Incredulous!! You're fired!
hal w

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

The coach and face of the program lied to the NCAA straight away. He did not, not report the situation, he lied when asked about the situation. That is unacceptable.
WN Boyd

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

When I heard Gene Smith say that he, Gee and Tressel had a strategy meeting prior to releasing any information, I knew that they were all going to tell the same lie. Terminate all 3 of them.
Rosey Posey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

The loss of twenty scholarships over four years will hurt OSU football for a number of years in the future despite what Mr. Hunter thinks.
ncbuckeye

Holly Springs, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Wasn't the 1999 Final Four in Tampa FLA?
NCAA Tsunami

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

John in Worthington wrote:
Bob,
An adult perspective - finally. Thank you.
Unfortunately, torch-carrying villagers here and around the country with years of axes to grind currently own the podium. They can't be bothered with context. They would like Tressel AND Ohio State, its fans, and Sloopy -- to all set sail down the Olentangy. Need proof? Read their replies to this post.
On a total aside...
Why do some NCAA investigations take weeks (Cam Newton) while others take years (Jerry Tarkanian). They are going to let the Jim Tressel investigation marinate over the Summer then meet with Gordon Gee in August (he's free this morning for coffee?) and then NOT decide Tressel's fate until AFTER the 2011 season per ESPN yesterday.
Their investigations er, should be investigated.
Of course the NCAA is the problem. Just like the Government is always the problem for all of you Tea-Bagger types. You just keep listening for the sound of Justice. Boom, Boom, Boom, heading right for the Horseshoe. She is one mean old lady and when she gets done there's not going to be anything to cheer about. But let's be clear about things; this isn't about players selling memorablia, which showed bad judgement--this is about lies and a coverup by a so-called squeaky clean coach, and that my boy, is some serious doodoo. He can't wear enough camo to hide from that.
Laugh at you

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Rosey Posey wrote:
The loss of twenty scholarships over four years will hurt OSU football for a number of years in the future despite what Mr. Hunter thinks.
I doubt it because unlike SEC schools OSU always undersigns on recruits anyway.
gjzuidy

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Dream on, Hunter. The only people who don't understand the the chokeyes have been winning under sweaterboy only because he uses inelible players are the same people who think Gee and Smith looked like geniuses at the Keystone Copsw press conference a couple months ago... If you don't think that intelligent football fans across the country have totally dismissed the accomplishments of USC/Bush then you also don't think Obama is a US citizen.... the tainted reign of the chokeyes is officially over...
Roy

Eaton Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

Hunter, you have officially joined the cult of Tressel. That was weak, nearly spineless. Tressel damaged OSU severely and in many ways. Yet, you'll still be his cheerleader. You have always had very little credibility with me, but now you have none. I know the Dispatch and you and your fellow Dispatch sportswriters are the offcial cheerleaders and newsletter for the OSU football team, but, geez, be real for once.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of299
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance