Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Sep 27, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#1 Sep 24, 2013
Naive and in love, I married a man from Kabul — only to discover the horrible life of a fundamentalist Muslim wife.

Phyllis Chesler, 72, is a feminist scholar and a professor emerita of psychology and women’s studies at City University of New York. In her 14th book,“An American Bride in Kabul”(Palgrave Macmillan) out early next month, she shares for the first time the story of the five months she spent, as a young bride, held prisoner in a Afghan household.

I once lived in a harem in Afghanistan.

I did not enter the kingdom as a diplomat, soldier, teacher, journalist or foreign aid worker. I came as a young Jewish bride of the son of one of the country’s wealthiest men. I was held in a type of captivity — but it’s not as if I had been kidnapped.

I walked into it of my own free will.
It is 1959. I am only 18 when my prince — a dark, older, handsome, westernized foreigner who had traveled abroad from his native home in Afghanistan — bedazzles me.

We meet at Bard College, where he is studying economics and politics and I am studying literature on scholarship.

Abdul-Kareem is the son of one of the founders of the modern banking system in Afghanistan. He wears designers sunglasses and bespoke suits and when he visits New York City, he stays at the Plaza.

He is also Muslim.

I am Jewish, raised in an Orthodox home in Borough Park, Brooklyn, the daughter of Polish immigrants. My dad worked door-to-door selling soda and seltzer.

But none of this matters. We don’t talk about religion. Instead, we stay up all night discussing film, opera and theater. We are bohemians.

We date for two years. Then, when I express my desire to travel, he asks me to marry him.

Continued ...

http://nypost.com/2013/09/21/my-life-of-hell-...

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#2 Sep 24, 2013
Betty Mahmoody,wrote about her experiences when she married a doctor then he took her on VACATION, and had a similar nightmare .
She wrote" NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER.

THANKS Bob, that was another eye opener, and it has been going on for centuries.
I may consider getting her books.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Sep 24, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
Betty Mahmoody,wrote about her experiences when she married a doctor then he took her on VACATION, and had a similar nightmare .
She wrote" NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER.
THANKS Bob, that was another eye opener, and it has been going on for centuries.
I may consider getting her books.
Mainstream Muslims are generally good people in my experience. The ones from places like Turkey, Albania, Palestine, Syria and even Iran are typically not fanatics. They like rock and roll music, designer clothes and iPhones. The big problem is the radical ones and the radical ones are the ones who live in the more impoverished places like Afghanistan.

Again though, this girl is a primary example of what I'm talking about. Leave the "open mindedness" and the "live and let live" and the kumba ya to other people. She wouldn't have gone through all this if she had just married one of her own kind, a Polish Jew.

“Bee Hive Jive”

Location hidden

#4 Sep 24, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Mainstream Muslims are generally good people in my experience. The ones from places like Turkey, Albania, Palestine, Syria and even Iran are typically not fanatics. They like rock and roll music, designer clothes and iPhones. The big problem is the radical ones and the radical ones are the ones who live in the more impoverished places like Afghanistan.
Again though, this girl is a primary example of what I'm talking about. Leave the "open mindedness" and the "live and let live" and the kumba ya to other people. She wouldn't have gone through all this if she had just married one of her own kind, a Polish Jew.
Yes, there are a lot more Muslims who like American culture but like you said! it's the radicals who are doing the damage! and causing trouble in just about every country.
They're the evil doers.....
And yes, I,agree marrying similar or like people.....no muss no fuss!

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#5 Sep 24, 2013
The sex jihad.
American feminists...why so silent?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/09/aids-and-pr...

Location hidden

#9 Sep 24, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are you making blanket anti-Islamist statements all over the place?
Since you still don't know the players...may I suggest you return to the asylum?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#10 Sep 24, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
Ha Ha. Caught you both being tolerant.
Maybe there's hope for you yet.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

woof

Location hidden

#11 Sep 24, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You too.
Build on this. Marginalize the radicals. Accept the majority of the people who are good people.
It's up to your "good Muslims" to marginalize "the radicals."
Don't see 'em doin' it, do ya?

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#12 Sep 24, 2013
There is much much more domestic violence in the US than there is in Afganistan, or Muslim predominate nations.

Here in the US men get drunk and beat thier wives so often the TV show COPS always has at least one domestic violence call per episode. Heck the TV show COPS is almost only domestic violence calls.

These types of books about Muslim men beating their women and general mistreatment is spun in a way to create a divide between us and "them". To do everything possible to make it wasier to justify bombing them and stealing oil and other resources.

The more the media can make Muslims seem different and less human the easier it is to sell the war. Exploit all differences, diet, fashion, language, skin color, religion, family values and general cultural differences.

Remember here in the US domestic violence leads to shooting deaths ALL THE TIME but its not put on the news the same way.

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#13 Sep 24, 2013
samosia wrote:
There is much much more domestic violence in the US than there is in Afganistan, or Muslim predominate nations.
Show me the stats. Then tell me you know about the difference in reporting between cultures even within this nation.
samosia wrote:
Here in the US men get drunk and beat thier wives so often the TV show COPS always has at least one domestic violence call per episode. Heck the TV show COPS is almost only domestic violence calls.
Really? I'm 50 year sold and have never known a friend, coworker or relative who has beaten his or her spouse.
samosia wrote:
These types of books about Muslim men beating their women and general mistreatment is spun in a way to create a divide between us and "them". To do everything possible to make it wasier to justify bombing them and stealing oil and other resources.
The more the media can make Muslims seem different and less human the easier it is to sell the war. Exploit all differences, diet, fashion, language, skin color, religion, family values and general cultural differences.
So, the predominantly left wing media is shilling for the corporate one percenters and the military industrial complex, huh? Have you notified MSNBC?
samosia wrote:
Remember here in the US domestic violence leads to shooting deaths ALL THE TIME but its not put on the news the same way.
Again, let's see some stats. And tell us how "the same way" is defined.

“Bee Hive Jive”

Location hidden

#14 Sep 25, 2013
Is it because there are verses in the Qu'ran that can be, and have been, used to justify violence against non-Muslims?

If this is the situation, then it is time for us to lift our heads out of the sand, and understand that the enemy is within.

Platitudes about Islam being a faith of peace are not credible anymore. Islam is only as good as the way its followers practice it; and if they have created killing fields in the name of Islam, then Islam will be recognized by the silence of those who did not speak out when their faith was being massacred to massacre humanity.

From an article..
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3990/danger...
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's up to your "good Muslims" to marginalize "the radicals."
Don't see 'em doin' it, do ya?
that is exactly correct.

same goes for our neighborhoods here.

where are all the good people pointing out the evil people?
it can be done secretly in multiple forms of communication.

if we don't stomp out evil it will decay society in general. People get accustomed over time.

Location hidden

#18 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You poor little elitist. Someone crashed the party...
...and continues to act the part of the misplaced, slobbering, drunken nuisance very well.

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#19 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it count if the marriage was annulled?
That has to do with physical violence...how?

Location hidden

#22 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just mad because I took your girlfriend upstairs.
Ummm...that was the neighbor's dog.

Location hidden

#23 Sep 25, 2013
The burlap bag atop the 14-yr-old bride's gown is fetching, no?
Sure to catch on here in the West...

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-ch...
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#24 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is His name … Your Right Hand, O Lord, has become glorious in power; Your right hand, O Lord, has dashed the enemy in pieces. And in the greatness of Your excellence you have overthrown those who rose against You; You sent forth Your wrath which consumed them like stubble.”(Exodus 15:3,6)
Therefore understand today the Lord your God is He who goes before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and bring them down before you; so you shall drive them out and destroy them quickly, as the Lord has said to you.”(Deuteronomy 9:3)
The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, and will say,‘Destroy!’”(Deuteronomy 33:27)
God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If He does not turn back, He will sharpen His sword; He bends His bow and makes it ready. He also prepares for Himself instruments of death; He makes His arrows into fiery shafts.”(Psalm 7:11)
Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle – my lovingkindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me.”(Psalm 144:1)
It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on high places. He teaches my hands to make war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze … I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them; neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed. I have wounded them, so that they were not able to rise; they have fallen under my feet. For You have armed me with strength for the battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.”(Psalm 18:32,37)
Need more?
That's different.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#26 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who was sleeping with her. I just took her upstairs to play catch.
She still likes me better.
you lose....too slow

Location hidden

#27 Sep 25, 2013
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who was sleeping with her. I just took her upstairs to play catch.
She still likes me better.
We all know what "play catch" means in your world, sicko animal abuser.
And don't kid yourself about crashing our party -- you wouldn't have made it past the mailbox, as Bob says.
And if you had, Spook would have taken care of the problem.
Monkey balls would mark the spot, which somehow seems very fitting.
AAA

Germany

#28 Sep 25, 2013
this is sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gutfeld: obama climate change proposal 'nuttier... 8 min They cannot kill ... 5
Orange barrels, gas price hike await Labor Day ... 17 min Free Pizza 4 U 3
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,474
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Neutral Party 3,208
Where are all the original legacy posters? 3 hr Duke for Mayor 101
Feds say Pakistan unlikely to return fugitive O... 3 hr NAIVE JUDGE 2
Was Bergdahl Planned ALL ALONG?? 6 hr gibdig 16
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 16 hr Disgraced 2,282
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info