Sergio, Tiger and Fried Chicken (Save Some for Fuzzy)

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#1 May 22, 2013
Sergio Garcia at centre of 'racist' storm' after insulting Tiger Woods at European Tour gala dinner
Sergio Garcia is at the centre of a racist storm with Tiger Woods as the Spaniard insulted the world No 1 on stage at the European Tour gala dinner.

Garcia and the American have been locked in a war of words since the 14-time major winner caused crowd noise to disrupt his swing at The Players Championship earlier this month.

Earlier Garcia accused Woods of lying over his version of the incident.

But in front of the entire Ryder Cup team at the European Tour's annual dinner, Garcia escalated the row.

When asked by American compere Steve Sands how often he will invite Woods around for dinner at next month's US Open, Garcia replied: "We will have him around every night. We will serve fried chicken."

The slur was an echo of Fuzzy Zoeller's infamous comments at the 1997 Masters.

When asked about Woods winning his first Major, Zoeller said he would serve "fried chicken and collard greens or whatever else they serve" at the following year's Champions Dinner.

García has refused to back down in his ongoing spat with Woods.

The Spaniard is playing at the BMW PGA Championship for the first time in 11 years, meaning that every member of José María Olazábal’s winning side from Medinah are teeing it up in the European Tour’s flagship event.

Yet García arrived in Surrey knowing that the enmity between him and Woods, which increased several notches at the Players Championship two weeks ago, would remain a talking point.

Garcia was adamant that Woods could and should have done more to ensure that he was not distracted during an incident in the third round at Sawgrass and claimed that he was not the only professional who had a gripe with the 14-time major winner.

“This is not just one thing; this has been going on for a long time,” García said.“The problem is a lot of people don’t want to say anything.

“Tiger can and will beat me a lot of times in tournaments but he’s not going to step on top of me. I’m not afraid of him. Tiger doesn’t make a difference to my life. And I don’t make a difference to his.”

At least Woods and García can agree on that score. When asked on Monday whether he intended to attempt a reconciliation with García, Woods gave a two-letter answer –“no”.

However, García said he would be happy to play with Woods at the forthcoming US Open or Open.

“You can’t like everybody,” he explained.“There are people you connect with and people you don’t and it’s pretty much as simple as that. He doesn’t need me in his life, I don’t need him in my life.

“This doesn’t mean I can’t play with him and, for sure, there would be a handshake. He’s just another player, obviously a good player, but it’s just when I’m playing with someone I enjoy there’s a bit more talking during the round.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/europea...

Hilliard, OH

#3 May 22, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
the root of all humor is truth, that's why it's so infuriating to the left. That said if you really wanted to slam Tiger you would have made some jokes about all the ugly whoares he was spending time with.
That's been done by Leno and Letterman...Perkins being the pick up hot spot of the elite athlete.
No blowback, just laughs. Blacks really hate being reminded of the truth about themselves when it comes to stuff like food, fat ass chicks and basketball.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#4 May 22, 2013
I'm about as whitebread as it gets, but I like fried chicken,watermelon, cornbread, greens etc. If that's all Garcia has per insults,and Tiger is offended, they both lose.

Hilliard, OH

#5 May 22, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
I'm about as whitebread as it gets, but I like fried chicken,watermelon, cornbread, greens etc. If that's all Garcia has per insults,and Tiger is offended, they both lose.
Tiger should be kissing everyone's ass after his antics.
He has dragged golf through the gutter more than once.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#6 May 22, 2013
I do not see what is the problem. Does Tiger Woods not like fried chicken?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#7 May 22, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
I do not see what is the problem. Does Tiger Woods not like fried chicken?
His mom is Chinese, he's probably a sashimi man.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#8 May 22, 2013
It's inappropriate. Bobby, you need to think of context. It is well known they dislike each other; his statement was meant with hatred, not funny. I can rib, pun intended, my black friends about H2O melon and chicken...difference, they are my friends. His spoken word cannot be misconstrued. I can use certain language around people that I know well. If there is known dislike, choose your words carefully.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#9 May 22, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Tiger should be kissing everyone's ass after his antics.
He has dragged golf through the gutter more than once.
Mr. Woods is arrogant. A trait that will be your downfall in any sector of life, private or professional.

Golf is, and has always been, a game of 'gentlemen,' with high integrity. So few scandals when it comes to the sportsman side of it, that the players will not, and should not, tolerate any infraction of any rules.

As for scandals in their private lives, I honestly can not think of any others.

Tiger's not on the scale of Jones, Nicholas (sp?) or Palmer, or even Trevino, in that he is not consistent in his game. He played some horrible rounds not making the cut. Buick dropped him.

So he's resented by players and the public for those reasons. Nothing to do with his race. V.J. Singh has always been much admired and respected by the players and the public. So explain that.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#10 May 22, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Woods is arrogant. A trait that will be your downfall in any sector of life, private or professional.
Golf is, and has always been, a game of 'gentlemen,' with high integrity. So few scandals when it comes to the sportsman side of it, that the players will not, and should not, tolerate any infraction of any rules.
Tiger's not on the scale of Jones, Nicholas (sp?) or Palmer, or even Trevino, in that he is not consistent in his game. He played some horrible rounds not making the cut. Buick dropped him.
So he's resented by players and the public for those reasons. Nothing to do with his race. V.J. Singh has always been much admired and respected by the players and the public. So explain that.
You never disappoint.

Acceptance has been an issue for Singh ever since a nebulous 1985 incident in Jakarta in which he was accused of altering his scorecard in order to make the cut at a tournament, an allegation he denies. At the mention of Singh's name last week one American Ryder Cupper sniffed, "Once a cheater, always a cheater. Golf has a long memory."

http://thesandtrap.com/b/swing_thoughts/once_...

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#11 May 22, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree with you. Tiger brought golf to the forefront than any others that you mentioned. Obviously golf gets good ratings for TV or they wouldn't put it on for umpteen hours, same for car racing, yawn for both. There are scandals in all sports...to single him out is ludicrous.

Hilliard, OH

#12 May 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You never disappoint.
Acceptance has been an issue for Singh ever since a nebulous 1985 incident in Jakarta in which he was accused of altering his scorecard in order to make the cut at a tournament, an allegation he denies. At the mention of Singh's name last week one American Ryder Cupper sniffed, "Once a cheater, always a cheater. Golf has a long memory."
I happen to be a huge Vijay fan...have been for years. He's a class act, unlike Woods.

Columbus, OH

#13 May 22, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
the root of all humor is truth, that's why it's so infuriating to the left. That said if you really wanted to slam Tiger you would have made some jokes about all the ugly whoares he was spending time with.
EB, all of the really funny comedians and pundits poke fun at either side or are left leaning. So truly, the joke is on you.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#14 May 22, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>I happen to be a huge Vijay fan...have been for years. He's a class act, unlike Woods.
That figures.

http://blog.garyevansgolf.com/2013/02/07/vija...

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#15 May 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You never disappoint.
Unsubstantiated. Like all the rest of your BS.

FTA:

And, Ernie Els follows up that article with some rather indignant rhetoric in defense of Vijay in Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks later:

"Why would someone say that about Vijay as he triumphed in the Masters? Why would SI's article on the first major of the 21st century not confine itself to Vijay's magnificent victory? Why instead did the writer dredge up an unsubstantiated allegation about an event that may or may not have occurred 15 years ago?"

Hilliard, OH

#16 May 22, 2013
St of Circumstance wrote:
<quoted text>
EB, all of the really funny comedians and pundits poke fun at either side or are left leaning. So truly, the joke is on you.
I guess you've never heard of Dennis Miller.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#17 May 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Unsubstantiated. Like all the rest of your BS.
FTA:
And, Ernie Els follows up that article with some rather indignant rhetoric in defense of Vijay in Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks later:
"Why would someone say that about Vijay as he triumphed in the Masters? Why would SI's article on the first major of the 21st century not confine itself to Vijay's magnificent victory? Why instead did the writer dredge up an unsubstantiated allegation about an event that may or may not have occurred 15 years ago?"
For the insufferably slow (Tip), the point was Annsie's claim that Vijay Singh is universally admired. Simply not true.

Hilliard, OH

#18 May 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
And you accuse me of posting lies?

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#19 May 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
For the insufferably slow (Tip), the point was Annsie's claim that Vijay Singh is universally admired. Simply not true.
Ms. Semantics Expert, please underline the word "universally," below:
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
V.J. Singh has always been much admired and respected by the players and the public. So explain that.

Columbus, OH

#20 May 22, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you've never heard of Dennis Miller.
He's about as funny as a dripping faucet. He's a washed up never was who can only get right wingers to listen to him.

P.J. O'Rourke is funny but he's more of a right leaning libertarian.

Denis Leary tilts to the right and he's funny but his first stand up bits were rip offs of Bill Hick's work and Bill leaned waaaayyy left. Now how many comedians and pundits does that leave?

Hilliard, OH

#21 May 22, 2013
St of Circumstance wrote:
<quoted text>
He's about as funny as a dripping faucet. He's a washed up never was who can only get right wingers to listen to him.
P.J. O'Rourke is funny but he's more of a right leaning libertarian.
Denis Leary tilts to the right and he's funny but his first stand up bits were rip offs of Bill Hick's work and Bill leaned waaaayyy left. Now how many comedians and pundits does that leave?
Funny pundits? Mark Steyn is the king, hands down. Greg Gutfeld is pretty good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Critics ignore benefits of cameras 1 hr zep 11
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 4,968
COPS lives MATTER 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 226
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 20
Who do you side with in New York and why? 3 hr d pantz 27
Mana s Skeleton Found In Woods In Central Ohio 4 hr Big Johnson 1
Where will Glitter be spending the holidays? 4 hr juan 3
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus