Health Care Reform Brings Big Changes...

Health Care Reform Brings Big Changes To Women's Care | WBNS-10...

There are 48 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Apr 6, 2010, titled Health Care Reform Brings Big Changes To Women's Care | WBNS-10.... In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

With the passage of the new health care bill, hopes are high for improvements to women's health, but so are concerns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mom

New Albany, OH

#1 Apr 6, 2010
"According to government figures there are currently 4.5 million uninsured women in America, who under the health care reform will now be eligible for Medicaid and other insurance benefits."

Uninsured women have always been eligible for Medicaid if their income dictated it. The burden of this outrageous new system is going to be felt nationwide, on the backs of taxpayers. We cannot begin to fathom the impact this is going to have. Wait until you see how much your health insurance premium is going to increase as a result of this.
Countries with socialized medicine have tried to warn of this...to bad Obama is hell-bent on control and too bad people were to stupid to realize it before it was too late. God help us all.
anon

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 6, 2010
I can't believe the lady stated she hopes that home births will be covered. I completely agree with freedom of choice in birthing situations, but home births should not be covered under tax payer money.
Catie

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 6, 2010
Anon,
For low-risk women, homebirth is a very safe option. Many well done studies have shown the safety of homebirth for both the mother and the baby. In addition to its safety, it is also significantly less expensive than hospital births, even if the woman in the hospital goes without pain medication or other interventions common in the hospital setting.

Some studies have shown that by utilizing midwifery care, we could save several billion dollars every year. Considering this nation spends more on childbirth and newborn care combined than any other health care category (both through medicaid and private insurance), maybe we would save money by covering homebirth with skilled attendants.
anon

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 6, 2010
I am well aware of the risk involved with homebirths. I have three children myself. I personally think that a tax payer supported health care system should not be spent on something that is purely a choice-but I guess I am against tax payer money going towards abortion as well. If you want specialized births, etc. then don't chose the government plan.

**as well one can find well known studies to support whatever cause that is chosen.
bob

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 6, 2010
Catie wrote:
Anon,
For low-risk women, homebirth is a very safe option. Many well done studies have shown the safety of homebirth for both the mother and the baby. In addition to its safety, it is also significantly less expensive than hospital births, even if the woman in the hospital goes without pain medication or other interventions common in the hospital setting.
Some studies have shown that by utilizing midwifery care, we could save several billion dollars every year. Considering this nation spends more on childbirth and newborn care combined than any other health care category (both through medicaid and private insurance), maybe we would save money by covering homebirth with skilled attendants.
it's very low risk until something happens....and theres ALWAYS that chance. people can be checked out from head to toe and get a clean bill of health, but theres always the chance something could go wrong....and if and when it does it may be life threatening if the person(s) can't get to a hospital in time. i don't understand why anyone would want to take that chance.
the other thing about this is, why has it turned gender? there are alot of men out there w/o health ins...what about them? we sould be talking about the new heath care reform pros and cons which will affect EVERYONE...men,women,boys and girls.
Patsy55

Defiance, OH

#6 Apr 6, 2010
The problem, as I see it is this. With four million more women to be covered, how on earth will there be enough doctors to care for them? Ob-gyn's (good ones) are scarce enough because of the malpractice insurance they have to pay. If anything whatsoever is wrong with a baby at birth, they get sued. Fair or not, that is the way it is. If you can't get into a doctor, or have to wait for long periods of time, what good is a new health care system to women or anyone else? They needed to address court reform which is what chases so many doctors out of healthcare. Not to mention low reimbursements from Medicare. I don't see these things improving with the healthcare law. I think this could be a financial and social disaster in the making. I hope not, but I am very skeptical at this point. Sorry to everyone who thought you could get something for nothing.
uh oh

AOL

#7 Apr 6, 2010
To cover the lack of physicians, I feel that the booming new field of physician assistants will take up the slack. So I feel that it won't be a doctor that will be seen at first, only after the treatment plan of a physician assistant has been administered and only then determined that the more challenging cases are referred onto a physician. To the young this might be fine, but to an older person used to having those physician eyes the first time around, this would be an adjustment.
A believer

Greenbrier, AR

#8 Apr 6, 2010
We only need one physician.The Great Physician whose name is Jesus.

unrepentant

Since: Sep 09

pickerington

#9 Apr 6, 2010
A believer wrote:
We only need one physician.The Great Physician whose name is Jesus.
How many have died under his care in the last 2000 years?
Midwives

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 6, 2010
Home birth attended by licensed certified professional midwives proves to be just as safe if not safer than hospital birth. If Ohio would get behind the other 26 or so states that do license midwives for out of hospital birth, the overall cost of maternity care would go down drastically. Since when do we need to pay trained surgeons to deliver babies normally? We need to stop over complicating our mom's and babies and treat as needed. This of course pertains to low risk women. Look at the stats folks, the USA is not rating to well for too many cesarean sections, in addition to infant and maternal mortality, something has got to change. Our mom's and babies deserve better.
TakingBackAmeric a

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 6, 2010
The obamacare is NOT what you think it is. It will reveal itself a little at a time ....it's your worst nightmare coming to light and it WILL hurt us all.~~~TBA

ObamaCare Nightmare Begins To Unfold!!

Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) said of ObamaCare, "I don't
think anyone fully comprehends what it means."
The nightmare of what actually IS in this
unconstitutional monstrosity is slowly coming into focus.

Remember Nancy Pelosi's now infamous statement, "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it"? Now that ObamaCare is law, Americans are expressing "buyer's remorse"
at a quickly increasing rate.
Jeramy

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 6, 2010
It is true the Physicians Assistant market is booming but as I have learned with the boom salaries will compare with Family doctors,pediatricians,and Infectious disease Doctors. I am not sure how this is going to save money for the consumer or the Insurance industry. Look up both occupations on Wikipedia if you would like to see for yourselves. The cost of insurance premiums will rise and even with the government subsidy insurance for a single male will still cost an average 2650 dollars a year if he makes $30,000 a year. If his taxes are like mine as I am single he will have to live on $18000 for the year. Seems like it puts more people in the poverty level if you ask me. Also health care reform doesnt force then to cover prescriptions and not to mention Im sure there will be copays.
Jeramy

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 7, 2010
Also if you want to see these figures they are on CNN health at this link http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/25/health.c...
Concerned

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 7, 2010
Do not forget the Obama death panels. They already said no mamagram till 50, and woman do not self exam your breasts. You may find a lump and the anxiety would harm you. These were the finding from your government. ANYONE KNOW A WOMAN WHO DIED IN HER 30's from Breast Cancer. I know two.

THIS IS RATIONING. NOT MAKING THE SYSTEM BETTER
Principles of Freedom

Reynoldsburg, OH

#15 Apr 7, 2010
Jeramy wrote:
It is true the Physicians Assistant market is booming but as I have learned with the boom salaries will compare with Family doctors,pediatricians,and Infectious disease Doctors. I am not sure how this is going to save money for the consumer or the Insurance industry. Look up both occupations on Wikipedia if you would like to see for yourselves. The cost of insurance premiums will rise and even with the government subsidy insurance for a single male will still cost an average 2650 dollars a year if he makes $30,000 a year. If his taxes are like mine as I am single he will have to live on $18000 for the year. Seems like it puts more people in the poverty level if you ask me. Also health care reform doesnt force then to cover prescriptions and not to mention Im sure there will be copays.
Announced earlyer this week - if you dont buy the insurance the head of the IRS has stated Were going to keep your refund"

and just yesterday- White House adviser Paul Volcker said "The United States should consider raising taxes to help bring deficits under control and may need to consider a European-style value-added tax" myself and others have been saying for sometime that if the Health Care measure passed this woud not be far behind, you will be paying more for everything.

and the robots keep saying EVERYTHING IS FINE nothing to see here nothing to worry about
canned meat

Elmhurst, IL

#16 Apr 7, 2010
If you want to my opinion. People with opinion annoy me. Especialy people with opinion different from mine.
daj

Mansfield, OH

#17 Apr 7, 2010
Mom wrote:
"....
Countries with socialized medicine have tried to warn of this...to bad Obama is hell-bent on control and too bad people were to stupid to realize it before it was too late. God help us all.
Amen.....
kjh

Columbus, OH

#18 Apr 7, 2010
One of the sticking points was the whole abortion issue and making that covered for women who choose to have an abortion. But what about women who choose to have a child and can't get pregnant without medical intervention. That can get expensive. I've not heard anything about that.
Carrie

United States

#19 Apr 7, 2010
Patsy55 wrote:
The problem, as I see it is this. With four million more women to be covered, how on earth will there be enough doctors to care for them? Ob-gyn's (good ones) are scarce enough because of the malpractice insurance they have to pay. If anything whatsoever is wrong with a baby at birth, they get sued. Fair or not, that is the way it is. If you can't get into a doctor, or have to wait for long periods of time, what good is a new health care system to women or anyone else? They needed to address court reform which is what chases so many doctors out of healthcare. Not to mention low reimbursements from Medicare. I don't see these things improving with the healthcare law. I think this could be a financial and social disaster in the making. I hope not, but I am very skeptical at this point. Sorry to everyone who thought you could get something for nothing.
Well said.
obamacare sucks

North Chicago, IL

#20 Apr 7, 2010
Abortion is an OPTIONAL procedure... and no matter anyone's moral stance on it... should NOT be covered. If it is, then I want my tummy tuck, nose job, boob job, and every other OPTIONAL surgery I can get my doctor to recommend be covered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Safety is priority during Red, White & Boom 12 min Posting as myself 1
News Columbus veteran, ousted for sexual orientation... 58 min Gremlin 24
News Chipotle adding chorizo at Columbus restaurants... 58 min Posting as myself 6
News City of Columbus issues nitrate warning for tap... 1 hr rowdy01 4
Drumpf is Presidential? 2 hr Zeeba 12
Where will you go if Topix goes 404? 3 hr Zeeba 23
Hillary's speech - thread is missing 4 hr Seriouslady 160

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages