Ohio State football: Bruce, Cooper know what Tressel is going through | BuckeyeXtra

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Jim Tressel might be at a crossroads wondering which way to go, but his two predecessors - Earle Bruce and John Cooper - attest that there is life after coaching Ohio State football.
Comments
1 - 20 of 112 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2011
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Blinded-By-The-R ight

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 5, 2011
buckeye fan wrote:
Earle is dead on that Tressel was treated unfairly.
He made a mistake, but instead of supporting him and letting the NCAA judicial process play out, the University turned chickensh#t and ran when the sharks at SI and this newspaper went on a feeding frenzy.
I have not lost one bit of respect for Coach Tressel, but have lost a ton of it for the Dispatch and the OSU administration.
Very well Said!
Coach Tressel is not a "Baby Sitter!"
What about "Self Reliance!" on the Players Part!
The Weasel Ex Football Player that Coach Tressel made to "Sit Out" the important
Game several Years ago, was behind this!
Moving to Texas

United States

#3 Jun 5, 2011
There should have been more heads roll. If it was necessary to get rid of Tressel, then the other people who were responcible for monitoring and advising the players should be fired also. But, like most public employee failures, there's no accountability. If it's impossible to prevent this type of situation then why don't we save the wages of those who were hired to do it, and apply the money against other costs and lower tuition.

Since: Nov 09

Findlay, OH

#4 Jun 5, 2011
I have to admire John Cooper for sticking around Columbus. I think that he had to go after that embarrassing loss to South Carolina and a combined record of 5-18-1 against UM and in bowl games. But for everyone who said that he didn't get what it meant to be the OSU coach or never quite fit in, he has stuck it out for 10 years after his dismissal and embraced the town and the long standing tradition of OSU football. He has done so even though most people had little regard for him as a result of his end of season failures.

Here is a guy who really had some great teams at OSU. Some of his offensive teams were superb and the overall talent was second to none most of the time. He could have probably stayed at OSU as long as he wanted if he could have sprinkled in a couple of more wins against Michigan or pulled off a national championship (which his teams were capable of doing on more than one occasion). It's really kind of remarkable that he won 111 games during his tenure given 18 losses in the last two games of the season. But maybe more remarkable that he was able to survive as long as he did as the coach at OSU.
disciplina in civitatem

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jun 5, 2011
As a loyal alum, I wish him well. I have no doubt he did a lot of good for a lot of people and a lot of former players think the world of him, apparently for all the right reasons.

But I have a problem with those who would martyr him as a wronged figure. It was the University who was wronged, not just by him but by everyone in the Athletic Department in the last ten years dating back to Geiger's last few years. We've seen a decline in the football culture, too many players being reported and not being reported for too many violations. I thought Craig Krenzel's comments recently were reflective of a principled player who played for Tressel but is conflicted by what he has seen over the years since his playing days ended early in Treseel's reign.

I don't buy the argument that times have changed, that you can't run a clean program in big time athletics. We need a coach in the mold of the next Joe Pa, the next Brad Stevens (for those who have forgotten, Butler's principled fresh-air BB coach) and a clean sweep in the AD's office mandated by a faculty committee that makes it clear that the job is not simply (as Doug Archie's reviewer prematurely gushed in his performance review) to keep the program out of NCAA's "jail."

Maybe that kind of person could withstand a few consecutive 9 and 3 seasons.
Kelly

Braintree, MA

#6 Jun 5, 2011
It's great to hear how much support gets from coaches Cooper and Bruce. It's amazing the perspective from coach Cooper - you cannot allow someone else to determine your satisfaction level. And I appreciated their positive outlook, especially since they both could have a completely different opinion of Ohio State. Pretty amazing. Tress, we still love you!
Blue laffing at dah U

Toledo, OH

#7 Jun 5, 2011
Of course they would understand the Tressel situation, don't be a bunch of morons!

Of course with all the cheating and lying going on in Cowtown why would I be suprised that unfairly running coaches out of town isn't on the list of accomplishments of "dah" U, or better known now as Tattoo U.!
Dean Ween

Hilliard, OH

#8 Jun 5, 2011
Blue laffing at dah U wrote:
Of course they would understand the Tressel situation, don't be a bunch of morons!
Of course with all the cheating and lying going on in Cowtown why would I be suprised that unfairly running coaches out of town isn't on the list of accomplishments of "dah" U, or better known now as Tattoo U.!
You didn't excel at academics, did you? I know we in the "Cowtown" are laughing at some hayseed from Sylvania who is talking trash even though the school he chooses to root for has lost to Ohio State seven years in a row. Here's to UM not having to play App State or Miss State this season!
Blue laffing at dah U

Toledo, OH

#9 Jun 5, 2011
Dean Ween wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't excel at academics, did you? I know we in the "Cowtown" are laughing at some hayseed from Sylvania who is talking trash even though the school he chooses to root for has lost to Ohio State seven years in a row. Here's to UM not having to play App State or Miss State this season!
Hey Weenie Dean! Those 7 victories in a row, were those with legit players? From the sounds of things your problems seem to run about 7 years. So pick up your pitchfork and go clean out the cow pasture!!
Mike from Chicago

Bowling Green, KY

#10 Jun 5, 2011
I would love to see Tressel coach someday at Baldwin Wallace. End his coaching career at the school who gave his dad and family so much. You wouldn't pursue a BW coaching job for the money, but for true pride!
David

Ypsilanti, MI

#11 Jun 5, 2011
Face it. Yes, Tressel was a great coach. He was a good face for OSU. But when it really comes down to it, he lied and covered up NCAA violations. A guy with integrity does not do this. He (and OSU) now will have to live with consequences from his "lack of good judgment"
Thanks alot Jim
Lassie

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 5, 2011
Tressel should not have been asked to resign. Punished? Yes, but not resigned. I agree whole heartedly with Coach Bruce!

I think after all findings are known, most will agree, that Tressel should still be coaching at OSU.
Asia Buckeye

Downers Grove, IL

#13 Jun 5, 2011
Bruce and Cooper never had hanging over their heead the penalty that the NCAA wil undoubtably give to the Buckeyes. They left knowing they did their best and had a lot of success but it still was not good enough. Tressel knows that he did his best, was a great success but he did something completely against his image. He lied and lost nearly all his integrity. That will make him do a lot of soul searching. For sure, he loves the Buckeyes, will not blame Gee or Smith and will have to live with those penalties, that would all never exist if just did the right thing. Lets not accept the bull s---- that he was worried about his players safety or he did not fully know the rules, it is very black and white, he knows it and now I am sure it is killing him inside. He knows what might happpen to all the young men and fans that gave their trust in him. Because of him, will have to pay the price for his bad mistake. The Juniors and Seniors that trusted him, will probably not have another chance to see a bowl game as a Buckeye. Because of Tressel and some selfish players that will be taken away from some very hard working and dedicated student atheletes. How fair is it to them? Bruce and Cooper never had to deal with this. I know for sure he feels terrible about what he did and I hope if given another chance to do it again, he would and truely believes in his heart he would, do the right thing. We have not heard him come out and admit that and I think that is a first step in him recovering! Lets hope Tressel stepping down and the 6 players suspensions will help in the NCAA decisions and maybe show some compassion for those student atheletes who did things right! Good Luck Luke and Go Bucks!
Chris

Jupiter, FL

#14 Jun 5, 2011
I hope all the Coop bashers read this column and gain an appreciation for what a good person he is. He was sorely mistreated by OSU fans but harbors no ill will. We should all have his outloook on life. Thanks Coop for all you did for OSU!
GATOR GARY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Jun 5, 2011
No wonder why OSU is in such trouble with the NCAA for violations and lying. Your x-coaches, your alumni, AD, Pres and your fans seem to condone it. Are there any sane people in Ohio that put integrity and honesty ABOVE A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM, in COWlumbus! I am sure that the NCAA reads the Dispatch and is finding more rope in every article which to hang the Buckeyes even tighter. Enjoy the DEATH PENALTY!
GATOR GARY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Jun 5, 2011
Chris wrote:
I hope all the Coop bashers read this column and gain an appreciation for what a good person he is. He was sorely mistreated by OSU fans but harbors no ill will. We should all have his outloook on life. Thanks Coop for all you did for OSU!
TRessel is a LIAR, PERIOD. He has you so HOODWINKWD! I have some prime swampland here in Florida to sell you. GO GATORS !!! GO SEC!!!
Go Bucks

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 5, 2011
GATOR GARY wrote:
No wonder why OSU is in such trouble with the NCAA for violations and lying. Your x-coaches, your alumni, AD, Pres and your fans seem to condone it. Are there any sane people in Ohio that put integrity and honesty ABOVE A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM, in COWlumbus! I am sure that the NCAA reads the Dispatch and is finding more rope in every article which to hang the Buckeyes even tighter. Enjoy the DEATH PENALTY!
Do you have a problem with your memory?You come on here and repeat the same things post after post. Who really cares what you say or think? Get a life!
babysan

Levittown, PA

#18 Jun 5, 2011
I am a loser.
BuckeyetillIdie

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Jun 5, 2011
Gator Gary: Really? Let's look at the Gators arrest record before we start throwing other people under the bus.

Blue: I figured a hippie from up north hippie land would be all about suppporting this guy against his fight with the man.
Stuck in the Stone Age

Atlanta, GA

#20 Jun 5, 2011
Bruce, Cooper, and Tressel all left The OSU football program when they should have. Cooper has it right: get on with life after coaching, Tressel, because no rats following the pied paper rallies at your house are going to get your job back for you. On to your run as Senator Tressel, hailing from Youngstown.
SadTaxPayer

Bensenville, IL

#21 Jun 5, 2011
I never thought I would actually agree with anything Coach Cooper ever did or said, but I will commend him for sticking with OSU and Columbus. I still have no qualms about being vocal concerning getting him out of the job, but he seems to exhibit more character than I thought he had. As for Earle - it has always been my belief that he was railroaded, thanks to the top powers at the Dispatch and WBNS.

Tress is a good man and a great coach. However, he seems to have a weakness concerning NCAA rules that he might consider "minor". He may have a point, but they are still the rules. I hope he stays in the area and holds his head high - I know I would be proud to call him a friend.

As for Herbies, Spielman, Small, et al - Don't let the door hit you on the way out, and thanks for playing "Tear Down the Buckeyes".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke has Won, Paco has Lost 2 min Free Pizza 4 U 10
Where are all the original legacy posters? 22 min d pantz 194
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 33 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,601
Second American Journalist beheaded 34 min They cannot kill ... 23
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 45 min Male 3,216
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 46 min Liar liar 2,312
The Michael Brown Case 58 min Male 58
The non-troll discussion thread. 1 hr BizzyBee 18
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••