The "Tolerant Left" Strikes Again

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#62 Apr 20, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't have been done without her knowledge. Ever have a next of kin die? I have buried both my parents. You do not have an obit published until and unless the funeral director has had ALL family members (immediate survivors) approve it. And if the woman wrote the obit herself, it's all over.
When my mom died, my older sister handled all of the direct arrangements while I handled the relatives (picking up at airport, housing them, feeding them, etc.). Even then, my other sister and I were required to show up at the funeral home's office prior to mom's viewing and funeral and sign a few documents. One of them was to approve the obit to be published in the paper.
This stuff doesn't happen "in the dark," Tony. You're grasping at air here.
It may have been the individual funeral home's business preferences. When my parents passed away, a couple of my siblings were not able to get here until the day of the funeral. Those of us who were local handled all the funeral arrangements, including obits.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#63 Apr 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>But alcohol consumption is a legal activity.
It all comes down to the contract. Don't sign it of you can't abide by it.
Here's where contract language can get a bit shaky. State and federal law supercede in any case. Whoever draws up the contract should be well aware of the law.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#64 Apr 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Straight out of the Soviet Union.
Not as outrageous as one might think. The liberal paradigm generally says that the airing of speech that targets others as immoral causes people to act in negative ways.

(in other words, if the BSA excludes gays, it contributes to a climate that leads gay teens to kill themselves)

Individual responsibility doesn't really factor in, and it's not just that. I've seen the same arguments used to say that Mormonism causes women to go mentally insane (linking to the antidepressant rate in Utah).

And therefore the state has a compelling interest to suppress threats to public order.

This was the same argument used against Grand Theft Auto and regrettably used against Islam on our side (the presence of the mosque means nothing, only the actions of the Islamist, and their foreign government supporters)

I call it "Human Environmentalism"

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#65 Apr 20, 2013
It also recalls laws against blasphemy.

By firing the teacher, the Catholic school has committed progressive blasphemy.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#66 Apr 20, 2013
I'll weigh in.

I'm going to presume that the obituary named the woman and her same gender partner, but made no mention of their sex lives.

While one can presume with great likelihood of being correct that that long term, same gender partners have had sexual relations at some point during their time together, its highly doubtful that either of these people publicly flaunted that aspect of their relationship, and the statement in the obit certainly didn't do that.

I can see both sides here. But there's a strong argument to be made that the Church, at least in some respects, brought the attention upon themselves by discharging her, and did so in contravention of its own teaching, focusing on one of its rules for treating homosexuals while completely ignoring the other.

woof

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#67 Apr 20, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's where contract language can get a bit shaky. State and federal law supercede in any case. Whoever draws up the contract should be well aware of the law.
I recall a basketball player at BYU was dismissed for premarital sex, I can't recall what happened afterwards.

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#69 Apr 20, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's where contract language can get a bit shaky. State and federal law supercede in any case. Whoever draws up the contract should be well aware of the law.
Presumably they thought the First Amendment would cover them. Until the war on Christianity kicked into full gear, that was a no-brainer.

Since: Oct 11

Pickerington, OH

#70 Apr 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>I DARE Columbus to try. The Church will not nor should it surrender on this point.
You don't even need Columbus at this point. You've got 4000+ signatures of Bishop Watterson students and parents signing a petition to back up the claim. You're all for an "individual" community making their directives active, aren't you?? Or since this goes against your "morality" clause, will you find a way to dismiss them as well.....

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#71 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
F You and all your "contract" talk!! Until the Catholic Church dismisses ALL of the pedophile priests which have been raping and harming little boys FOR YEARS there is no standing or defense here. This is a teacher that was accepted, adored and respected. Her situation rose from 1 ONE Uno person's complaint and Bishop Watterson took the cowardly approach and now they know they're on the wrong side of history....just like Republicans....I'm not saying Catholics are Republicans....
This is another sign of unity and solidarity against wrongdoing on a local level. Bishop Watterson is WRONG and everybody knows it and they'll soon rectify their error.
CASE CLOSED.
Tribal unity. Charming.

You have no standing or defense because you defend Islam.

You don't agree with free association, and you want revenge, typical relativist.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#72 Apr 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>But alcohol consumption is a legal activity.
It all comes down to the contract. Don't sign it of you can't abide by it.
Contract provisions that violate the law cannot be enforced.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#73 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even need Columbus at this point. You've got 4000+ signatures of Bishop Watterson students and parents signing a petition to back up the claim. You're all for an "individual" community making their directives active, aren't you?? Or since this goes against your "morality" clause, will you find a way to dismiss them as well.....
Online petitions are meaningless, Piers Morgan hasn't been deported.

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#74 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even need Columbus at this point. You've got 4000+ signatures of Bishop Watterson students and parents signing a petition to back up the claim. You're all for an "individual" community making their directives active, aren't you?? Or since this goes against your "morality" clause, will you find a way to dismiss them as well.....
Watterson has a waiting list a mile long. The CINOs and non-Catholics can pull their kids and it would be full again on Monday.
The Church can't lose on this one.

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#75 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
F You and all your "contract" talk!! Until the Catholic Church dismisses ALL of the pedophile priests which have been raping and harming little boys FOR YEARS there is no standing or defense here. This is a teacher that was accepted, adored and respected. Her situation rose from 1 ONE Uno person's complaint and Bishop Watterson took the cowardly approach and now they know they're on the wrong side of history....just like Republicans....I'm not saying Catholics are Republicans....
This is another sign of unity and solidarity against wrongdoing on a local level. Bishop Watterson is WRONG and everybody knows it and they'll soon rectify their error.
CASE CLOSED.
No they won't, Bruce. Watterson is in the right. And the Church isn't, nor should it be concerned with the social trends of the day. Two thousand years of history doesn't dent easily.
Here's the bottom line: Don't like Catholic teachings and Catholic rules? Stay away.

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#76 Apr 20, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Contract provisions that violate the law cannot be enforced.
The First Amendment trumps that particular law.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#77 Apr 20, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Substitute "alcohol consumer" with "homosexual" in that context, Tony. Then the point is crystal clear.
The two things are not comparable. One is protected by city code, the other is not.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#78 Apr 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Watterson has a waiting list a mile long. The CINOs and non-Catholics can pull their kids and it would be full again on Monday.
The Church can't lose on this one.
But he's on "the right side of history". You know, the progressives can predict the future. Kinda of like how the USSR thought it was on the right side of history.

When the society crashes and burns, and it will, perhaps we can reevaluate that.

Since: Oct 11

Pickerington, OH

#79 Apr 20, 2013
Boo-hoo moralists.....boo-friggin' hoo....want some cheese with that whine?

Since: Oct 11

Pickerington, OH

#80 Apr 20, 2013
BTW -- It's an absolute pleasure and I'm gettin the Chris Matthew tingle seeing Grogie Porkie having to come up with yet another AfrAm character to debase cuz he;s been kicked off....pure joy! Proof that she's regularly in the wrong....at least all I need...

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#81 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
Boo-hoo moralists.....boo-friggin' hoo....want some cheese with that whine?
Luke 16:24

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#82 Apr 20, 2013
Progressive Ohioan wrote:
Boo-hoo moralists.....boo-friggin' hoo....want some cheese with that whine?
Just stay away from our Church. You don't see us crashing your Stonewall meetings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ohioans to hold own version of Washington women... 3 min Male 50
Obama Out Of Office Countdown Clock 11 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 65
Does anyone know why Yolanda Harris is leaving ... 11 min They cannot kill ... 75
Trump plans to Remove WH Press Corps, hide TRUTH 14 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 37
Drug dealers 17 min Reality Speaks 9
What Do You Think of Donald Trump Now? 44 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 109
The Andersons are closing 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages