Comments
561 - 580 of 901 Comments Last updated Apr 26, 2013

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#578
Apr 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the same as agreeing that it SHOULD be.
You want to force them to hire her back.

Sorry, your Jacobinism is showing.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#579
Apr 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
I can be, all it takes is a small mind like yours and I can have a blast for hours.
When did Topix become 'toddler town'?
Ask the creator of "Paco"

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#580
Apr 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And it was changed (Much to the church's chagrin I'm sure) because it was found to violate basic human rights.
<quoted text>
The term has been used in many instances that have nothing to do with people (I believe the line where a double-wide manufactured home goes together is called a marriage line... I've seen medicines advertized as a marriage between one and another, etc.). Why aren't you up in arms over those uses?
<quoted text>
Absolutely not. I only want them to follow the law. There is no law that requires a church to marry anyone they don't want to marry.
<quoted text>
Cross those bridges when (if) you come to them. Even hetero couples can't "demand" that any church marry them, so that's something of a straw man.
<quoted text>
And that's fine, but society (as well as government) is secular, containing both religious and non-religious (as well as DIFFERENT religions). For these sectors of society to co-exist, there must be a pact of non-interference... live and let live... and a government to enforce the peace.
<quoted text>
Then what prompted the bible verses? SOMEONE must have had a reason for mentioning it... could it be that homosexuals existed in biblical times?
<quoted text>
I'm sure you think so.
1) See my above post. 1962, Tony. As I said, previous generations were not confused with respect to moral sexual behaviors and the issue of gender with respect to marriage.

2) And I thought you couldn't possibly make yourself appear more ridiculous.

3) Until recently, there was no municipal law requiring special treatment of homosexuals -- you know, the law you want to see enforced on behalf of Ms. Hale against her parochial school employer. And yet you have the audacity to claim that homosexuals would not demand further approval by religious organizations...up to and including marriage?

4) There is no comparison. The lawful marriage of a heterosexual couple does not ever conflict with the doctrinal position of the Church.

5) Pure myth. Western society has never been secular. Never. I refer you to Blackstone's commentary on English law, above. The very foundations of our society are based on biblical law and precepts.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#582
Apr 22, 2013
 
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>

5) Pure myth. Western society has never been secular. Never.
Not true, there was the period of the Directory in First Republic France. Well, they made up a new state religion, but they claimed to have de-Christianized society.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#583
Apr 22, 2013
 
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true, there was the period of the Directory in First Republic France. Well, they made up a new state religion, but they claimed to have de-Christianized society.
Four years of pretend play hardly counts.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#584
Apr 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to force them to hire her back.
No, I want them charged with violation of Columbus city code, and see the results of them fighting the charge. Laws can't be found unconstitutional if they're not challenged.

There would be no sense in "forcing" anyone to hire anybody, as the result of that would most likely be a (surreptitiously, of course) hostile work environment. Losers tend to want to get even.

Keep throwing those labels at me. One of them's bound to be right eventually, and who knows... I might even get some new old ideas :)

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#585
Apr 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I want them charged with violation of Columbus city code, and see the results of them fighting the charge. Laws can't be found unconstitutional if they're not challenged.
There would be no sense in "forcing" anyone to hire anybody, as the result of that would most likely be a (surreptitiously, of course) hostile work environment. Losers tend to want to get even.
Keep throwing those labels at me. One of them's bound to be right eventually, and who knows... I might even get some new old ideas :)
Surprised you didn't call me a legitimist.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#586
Apr 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprised you didn't call me a legitimist.
If I did, it would be as a term of endearment.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#587
Apr 22, 2013
 
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Illegal to ask. However, that is just observational intelligence I'd gathered. The woman IMHO is not an innocent victim in any of this. Ms. Hale knew full well what she was doing.
Well, I'd agree with you as well regarding the talk about sex lives. HOWEVER, one's "private" life generally isn't always so private. And Ms. Hale voluntarily let us in on her private life; but no doubt there was informal knowledge in the way of gossip and innuendo prior. And if that knowledge is out in the open, in a school where it is expressly taught as immoral...???? Conflicts anywhere in that thought to you? Definitely for me.
Contracts aren't guesses; however, they are agreed to by TWO or more parties who agree to all of the terms specified... Watterson carried its end of the bargain by employing and paying her for 19+ years, evidently they believed she was at minimum an adequate teacher, probably better judging by the comments on the change.org petition. However, she signed an agreement with which she had no intent to completely uphold, either. There was no mention that she went voluntarily to her employers, either, to disclose her relationship openly and to negotiate...
I certainly hope, then, that the school will be delving into the last 19 years' worth of personal lives of each of their employees, and dismissing them summarily when *anything* of immorality (as defined by your doctrine) is found. You will be hard-pressed to find anyone so perfect. This woman was a respected PE teacher. Was she teaching religion classes? If not, I'm not sure I understand the defense of the Catholic church on this one - unless, as I stated before, the church intends to uncover all who have committed sin.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#588
Apr 22, 2013
 
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I did, it would be as a term of endearment.
The Empress is a Legitimist, Morny is an Orléanist, Prince Napoleon is a Republican, and I myself am a Socialist. There is only one Bonapartist, Persigny – and he is mad.

-Napoleon III
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#589
Apr 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

This could be interesting if birth control is considered, particularly considering the recent fight against paying for it. After all, teachers who signed on the dotted line knew what they were going into, right?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#590
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the creator of "Paco"
I'm not the one who needs a new name every week.

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#591
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Wait what wrote:
This could be interesting if birth control is considered, particularly considering the recent fight against paying for it. After all, teachers who signed on the dotted line knew what they were going into, right?
For what it is worth, when did anyone delve into Carla Hale's private life? Nothing occurred until her relationship became public.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#592
Apr 23, 2013
 
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
For what it is worth, when did anyone delve into Carla Hale's private life? Nothing occurred until her relationship became public.
The really pertinent questions here are:

1) Did her employer, or their agents with hiring/firing authority know about her relationship?

2) If so, for how long?

The rest of it is really not all that relevant.

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#593
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The really pertinent questions here are:
1) Did her employer, or their agents with hiring/firing authority know about her relationship?
2) If so, for how long?
The rest of it is really not all that relevant.
woof
Never thought that waiting for appointments could be amusing -- you are teaching me otherwise. What would your reaction be if this firing occurred and she had never come out publicly in that obit and the only "knowledge" was rumor and innuendo? Hearsay?
Meow.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#594
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who needs a new name every week.
woof
I'm not the one whining to the mods about George every hour.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one whining to the mods about George every hour.
true.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#596
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who needs a new name every week.
woof
your and the others that are unregistered are afraid to become a registered user too and stand behind what you post which is why a lot of these poster don't register and don't want to be held accountable for their post.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#599
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
For what it is worth, when did anyone delve into Carla Hale's private life? Nothing occurred until her relationship became public.
The issue is being terminated for not adhering to the teaching of the Church. Just because your 'sin' has been made public through an obituary does not mean others get to hide theirs. Or does it?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#600
Apr 23, 2013
 
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>your and the others that are unregistered are afraid to become a registered user too and stand behind what you post which is why a lot of these poster don't register and don't want to be held accountable for their post.
I won't register. Don't want to, don't have to, doesn't mean I don't mean what I say.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In Ferguson, Missouri, different kinds of prote... 7 min Duke for Mayor 21
Was Bergdahl Planned ALL ALONG?? 11 min Duke for Mayor 4
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 35 min Face book 2,276
The Michael Brown Case 1 hr Enter Username 7
WHY Does America Hate Obama so much? 1 hr Enter Username 5
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots? 1 hr Enter Username 4
Does the USA Even HAVE a PRESIDENT?? 1 hr Enter Username 1
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 11 hr Neutral Party 233

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••