Delaware County magistrate suspended

Full story: DispatchPolitics

A Delaware County court magistrate was suspended without pay for five days after an incident involving another county employee.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Mar 11, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Randy

New York, NY

#1 Mar 10, 2011
Delaware county needs to wake up and stop acting like a good old boys network. It is never acceptable for a judge or Magistrate to act the way these guys do. This is just the tip of the iceburg.
reader

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 10, 2011
The magistrate either grabbed the guy's crotch or his butt, because it's hard to imagine what else would cause much of an uproar.
clean house

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 10, 2011
I would rather have seen that useless crony - melissa jordan - suspended forever. She's nothing but a ultra right-wing mouthpiece with absolutely no qualifications for the position she was appointed to.

Her husband and our state rep. brenner aren't any better. Certainly bot representing my viewpoints.
watchful

Cloverdale, IN

#4 Mar 10, 2011
I have a problem with the phrase "complained to his boss". Makes this employee sound like he was whining. Maybe "issued a complaint" would have driven the reader to a more objective view. I don't know maybe it's just me but if a person of authority makes an "inappropriate gesture" towards me while I was attempting to do my job my only legal recourse would be to make a complaint and file charges against this guy. The article doesn't say if these two knew each other or what brought about the "inappropriate gesture" but for Sup. Whitney to say nothing else would be done is a little premature! Maybe there is more to this story than meets the eye!
Observe

Columbus, OH

#6 Mar 10, 2011
From this article and the quote who knows what happened. Opinions are surely flying! Not enough information to make an opinion. You can touch someone's shoulder and be inappropriate. Not be minimizing this, but not maximizing it either.
Dollar Bill

Dublin, OH

#7 Mar 10, 2011
Why can't we disclose the inappropriate gesture? If this would have been joe-blow doing it would we get a bit more insight into what it was?
Cygnus

New York, NY

#9 Mar 10, 2011
I agree the detail is lacking. I don't personally associate a "gesture" with anything involving "touching". Judge Whitney has a placard on the front of his bench that reads "We don't CARE how they do it in Franklin County". No lie.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#10 Mar 10, 2011
watchful wrote:
I have a problem with the phrase "complained to his boss". Makes this employee sound like he was whining. Maybe "issued a complaint" would have driven the reader to a more objective view. I don't know maybe it's just me but if a person of authority makes an "inappropriate gesture" towards me while I was attempting to do my job my only legal recourse would be to make a complaint and file charges against this guy. The article doesn't say if these two knew each other or what brought about the "inappropriate gesture" but for Sup. Whitney to say nothing else would be done is a little premature! Maybe there is more to this story than meets the eye!
Why do you think his statement in premature? It sounds like they have decided that this is the punishment they will dole out. Period. Given that they have made this decision, it makes sense to state, regarding this incident, "nothing more will be done." This is usually what happens in the employment setting. When someone gets in trouble, management does something - and that decision is final. They don't leave the employee hanging..."yeah, we may do more, not sure yet...."
watchful

Cloverdale, IN

#12 Mar 10, 2011
After reading the article again and again ColumbusPoster I will agree with you. It would be unfair to leave the employee hanging. To be honest I made the assumption this had happened before due to the statement "'another' county employee" and felt such a person of authority should not IN ANY WAY intimidate, threaten, nor gesture another human being let alone two or more. I clearly see "another" was meant to mean co-worker, not "plus one more". I guess the article is so vague that is up to the reader to read between the lines which is what gets us into trouble. Just sloppy journalism. Who, what, where, when and why? and sometimes how!
Beat Goes On

Herndon, VA

#13 Mar 10, 2011
Antonoplos, Hanks, Thompson, Peterson, Hogue etc etc. etc etc. Will it ever end??
CORRUPTION IN DELAWARE

AOL

#14 Mar 10, 2011
I believe there is more of a problem here than we all are being told! 1st of all.... About a year or so ago Magistrate Wiethman retired with full benefits. A few months later he was hired back by Judge Whitey. It states he makes $45.42 an hour... on top of full retirement... ummm sounds to me like the tax payers of Delaware are paying double for Magistrate Wiethman who seems to not beable to control his anger issues. The questions is What does Magistrate Wiethman have on Judge Whitney? or Why would Judge Whitney do this??? Sounds to me like Delaware needs to be investigated!
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#15 Mar 10, 2011
"Your actions may have been an attempt at humor," Whitney wrote. "The recipient, however, did not find it funny. The physical touching of another employee cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. "

Is he a friend of Judge Hale?
Dean Wormer

Delaware, OH

#16 Mar 10, 2011
Press gotta hold of the in-court video for this thing. It shows Wiethman grabbed the guys shoulders and gave him a "how ya' doin'" shake. Sounds like this IT employee is a bit touchy, kind of like Francis in Stripes: "any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you". Lighten' up Francis!!
Who cares

Columbus, OH

#17 Mar 10, 2011
Jesus, who really gives a s%1t.
if you only knew

United States

#18 Mar 14, 2011
and this magistrate is in civil court deciding the future of children in domestic cases and child custody. That's scary!!!
ted

Houston, TX

#19 Mar 20, 2011
Test
out of control

United States

#20 Apr 19, 2011
The delaware county court system is a complete joke of incompetent "law people" i guess you would call them. Bring on barney fife and mayberry, its about the same.
Embarrassed of Judiciary

Columbus, OH

#21 May 12, 2011
I practice law in multiple states, and several counties throughout Ohio. I practice in Delaware County, and have been a party to a civil action in Delaware County. I've been in front of both Whitney and Weithman. Both are/were unprofessional, and unprepared. There is clear incestuous and inappropriate relationship between the judge/magistrate and some local attorneys, including Tony Heald who is mentioned in some of the posts above. A lot of backdoor deals are made at the expense of honest people looking for justice. It's not a Republican or Democrat issue. Real justice cannot be had in Delaware because the bench has no pride or self-respect.
Your claims are specious

Dansville, MI

#22 Mar 1, 2013
Embarrassed of Judiciary wrote:
I practice law in multiple states, and several counties throughout Ohio. I practice in Delaware County, and have been a party to a civil action in Delaware County. I've been in front of both Whitney and Weithman. Both are/were unprofessional, and unprepared. There is clear incestuous and inappropriate relationship between the judge/magistrate and some local attorneys, including Tony Heald who is mentioned in some of the posts above. A lot of backdoor deals are made at the expense of honest people looking for justice. It's not a Republican or Democrat issue. Real justice cannot be had in Delaware because the bench has no pride or self-respect.
completely. I am in the justice system right now and I have been shown complete fairness and complete justice. Tony Heald isn't mentioned in any of the posts above as you write, but he is a brilliant attorney and Magistrate Weithman is completely prepared. Magistrate Weithman understood the intricacies of my case and I will be forever grateful.
Forgot a few

Powell, OH

#23 Mar 2, 2013
Beat Goes On wrote:
Antonoplos, Hanks, Thompson, Peterson, Hogue etc etc. etc etc. Will it ever end??
Don't forget Andy Brenner, Sara Maire Brenner, Kris Jordan and Melissa Jornan. Lots of trash in DelCo.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Old Guy 30,492
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 24 min Tofte 2,291
We can't afford a war in Syria 37 min Colbert 2
Almighty God OR rabid allah??? 39 min Colbert 12
Obama Announcing Girls' Adoptions 42 min Colbert 5
welfare nation 44 min Colbert 15
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots? 49 min Colbert 12
Where are all the original legacy posters? 1 hr Catman Dave 107
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••