Critics rail against proposed AEP rat...

Critics rail against proposed AEP rate increase | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 53 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 26, 2011, titled Critics rail against proposed AEP rate increase | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

American Electric Power's proposed rate increase is bloated and unnecessary, according to a wide array of critics filing testimony yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Money Hog

Columbus, OH

#21 Jul 26, 2011
My monthly bill is $184 on the budget plan. And that's for a 1750 s.f. house. I guess I need to move into a 900 s.f. house. Thanks AEP.
just thinking

Delaware, OH

#22 Jul 26, 2011
Apparently tightening your belt only applies to low level workers in the private and public sectors right?

AEP must need more money for executive bonuses.
JPE

New York, NY

#23 Jul 26, 2011
Cru Jones wrote:
Deregulation is such a success.
Which part of AEP doesn't fall under local, state, or federal regulation? Who ensures there's no competition? You need a basic lesson in economics. Read "Basic Economics" by Dr. Thomas Sowell.
Know the facts

Columbus, OH

#24 Jul 26, 2011
Power grab wrote:
<quoted text>
... if the environazis/liberals and democrats would allow oil and gas drilling and coal cleaning technology in power plants our electricity would be less costly.
Solar and wind is not the sole answer.
Oil and gas drilling was up 12% last year, and is expected to be up another 15-18% this year. Over 5,700 new oil wells and 14,000 new gas wells were drilled in just the fourth quarter of 2010, alone.
Know the facts

Columbus, OH

#25 Jul 26, 2011
Money Hog wrote:
My monthly bill is $184 on the budget plan. And that's for a 1750 s.f. house. I guess I need to move into a 900 s.f. house. Thanks AEP.
I'd shoot for 1200 sq feet. That's the size of my house, and my bills range from about $80-$130, year round. Except when I run the dehumidifier, that can add about $25.
Sharon Columbus

Columbus, OH

#26 Jul 26, 2011
just thinking wrote:
Apparently tightening your belt only applies to low level workers in the private and public sectors right?
AEP must need more money for executive bonuses.
Absolutely and as always our political staffers, high & low levels will never refuse AEP any rate increase. There's too much money going back into high bonuses, profits on the Executive Boards and various Senior Staffers of government facilities within the state.

Bend over America: grab your ankles and kiss you money good-bye! Never stops and never will. Exercise your right: VOTE them out not saying anyone else will be better. At least different lies with be forthcoming!
Cream Puff

Columbus, OH

#28 Jul 26, 2011
Money Hog wrote:
Try turning off some lights and not leaving the TV running 24/7? Maybe Hang some laundry out once in a while? Not leaving all sorts of things plugged in when you aren't using them. Adjust the thermostat. You know you can cut your bill a lot by being frugal.
ohio jim

Columbus, OH

#29 Jul 26, 2011
Still looking for an answer to this question: How many new coal-powered power plants are going to be needed to power all the electric cars the government and enviromentalists are pushing for? That electricity won't come out of thin air.
ohio jim

Columbus, OH

#30 Jul 26, 2011
Cream Puff wrote:
<quoted text> Try turning off some lights and not leaving the TV running 24/7? Maybe Hang some laundry out once in a while? Not leaving all sorts of things plugged in when you aren't using them. Adjust the thermostat. You know you can cut your bill a lot by being frugal.
When a NECESSARY product is so egregiously over-priced that consumers have to jump through hoops just to keep the cost under an arm and a leg, it's a sure sign that the
producer is a monopolistic enterprise operating outside of normal supply and demand rules. They literally have us by the cahones.
Big Johnson

Nashport, OH

#31 Jul 26, 2011
ohio jim wrote:
They literally have us by the cahones.
Don't use words you don't understand.
ARG

Centerburg, OH

#32 Jul 26, 2011
I belong to a community cooperative in Delaware County. Because of the EPA and new government regulations coming into effect, EVERYONE has to pay MORE! We ALL have to pay!!!!!

Why do people forget that when Obama became elected with all democrats in congress, that they voted on a TON of new legislation on power companies???? Especially COAL. The Obama administration is at war with COAL. 80% or Ohio get its electricity from COAL!

Our home is 100% electric. In 2001 when we moved in our electric bill-at the highest was $150 in the winter. Back in Jan-Feb of this year, our electric bill is now $350. I'd be glad to pay AEP prices.
ARG

Centerburg, OH

#33 Jul 26, 2011
ohio jim wrote:
<quoted text>
When a NECESSARY product is so egregiously over-priced that consumers have to jump through hoops just to keep the cost under an arm and a leg, it's a sure sign that the
producer is a monopolistic enterprise operating outside of normal supply and demand rules. They literally have us by the cahones.
Jim, Ohio uses coal to supply our electricy needs. With new regs and the EPA coming down hard on energy suppliers because of filthy air, us the consumers get hosed!!
ARG

Centerburg, OH

#34 Jul 26, 2011
Cream Puff wrote:
<quoted text>
Try turning off some lights and not leaving the TV running 24/7? Maybe Hang some laundry out once in a while? Not leaving all sorts of things plugged in when you aren't using them. Adjust the thermostat. You know you can cut your bill a lot by being frugal.
It does not matter! We got rid of our refrigerator, computer, other appliances, new lightbulbs, we don't run A/C unless the dog falls over from heat exhaustion and I have solar power everything out the ying yang. At night, we have no outside lights nor can you see anything powered inside. We have surg protectors and timers on everything. All appliances were replaced with Energy Star--just like our good government told us to years ago. I think they knew exactly what was going to happen--they were warning us back then! Arguments can get out of control when the kids leave stuff on.
uh huh

Columbus, OH

#35 Jul 26, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't use words you don't understand.
And he/she should learn to spell, too. It's "cajones."
Spooey

Cleveland, OH

#36 Jul 26, 2011
The PUCO is a useless organization. I filed a complaint agains Columbia Gas in the first part of July and 3 weeks later no one has contacted me. Supposedly someone named Kelly M. with the PUCO is handling the case but she is doing a poor job, probably calculating her public retirement and freebies instead of handling the complaint.
rcre

West Jefferson, OH

#37 Jul 26, 2011
In other news - John is either and AEP shareholder or employee!
John wrote:
In other news, people are outraged that houses no longer cost $5,000 and cars are no longer available for under $1,000.
rcre

West Jefferson, OH

#38 Jul 26, 2011
Did you read the article - the $1.29 is before more than a dozen "riders" are added in. Maybe you don't understand that the riders are where the real money is. AEP is making billions of dollars, is protected by law to NEVER lose money and think you an increase is just dandy. You speak for very few.
GoBucks wrote:
Really!?- you're that concerned about $1.29 per month increase in your electric bill? The cost to fill up you gas tank will go up $.50 per gallon in a day - yet no one does anything about that. I don't think AEP is making $9 billion every quarter AND getting subsidized by the government. We spend how much money on attorneys to fight dinky increases (which AEP pays for by the way) by a regulated utility yet practically nothing to reduce other costs of energy.
rcre

West Jefferson, OH

#39 Jul 26, 2011
Well, at least your honest. The reason your earnings are so high is because the PUCO allows AEP (a monopoly) to cut staff and quality at will. There is no electric competition. Why in the heck should I pay more to a monopoly merely to increase the size of your portfolio????
Dave wrote:
I have mixed feelings, since I have about 1500 shares of AEP stock in my IRA. The dividends more than pay for my electric bill.
If you think a company is making too much money, buy some of their stock!
Jpr

Chicago, IL

#40 Jul 26, 2011
Like drilling more and using more coal is going to lower your utility bill. I think you need to wake up to reality. They're going to charge you what they can get away with and it has nothing to do with how much coal that is being dredged out of the ground. There's plenty now. It's not a shortage of coal thats causes rate increases.

As far a living in the garden of Eden is concerned. I'll take it any day over what I assume is your reality of polluted air and a raped landscape for the sake of more coal.

And finally let me know the next time you have problems finding corn in the supermarket because all of it is being used for fuel.

Absolutely clueless....
i wish wrote:
We need to drill and we need to use our plentiful coal after all. How much will the bills go up when they get all the electric cars running? We are going to have to choose between living in the Garden of Eden or living in reality. Our corn was taken for fuel and you see how that has reduced prices.
ohio jim

Columbus, OH

#41 Jul 26, 2011
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text> And he/she should learn to spell, too. It's "cajones."
"Cajones" indeed. I stand corrected. But I think everyone knew what I meant. The point is that monopolistic utilities like AEP have us right where they want us: 1) we NEED their product; 2)we can't get it anywhere else; so...3) they can gouge us for as much as they want to. And worst of all, the politicians - who are supposed to be working for us - will stand by and let it happen. It's called crony capitalism (an unhealthy relationship between government and private industry), and if it continues, it will bring down our economy. How's that for cajones?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do Republicans love Russian lovers more tha... 2 hr 404 not found 45
Ohio State Football fans are chanting "FIRE URB... (Dec '16) 3 hr Local 6
Ohio State Buckeyes could lose to the UNLV Rebels 3 hr Local 10
Ohio State Football to fire Urban Meyer (Dec '16) 3 hr Local 62
Lane Ave. Game Day 3 hr Danno 1
Kim Jong Un vs da Donald 4 hr They cannot kill ... 29
UTrashy & Spook 4 hr UTrashy 77
Why Obama Really Spied on Trump 9 hr Enter Username 63

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web