Critics rail against proposed AEP rate increase | The Columbus Dispatch

American Electric Power's proposed rate increase is bloated and unnecessary, according to a wide array of critics filing testimony yesterday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Forget AEP

Westerville, OH

#1 Jul 26, 2011
How much money have they already overcharged us for projects that have never been completed. I cannot afford my electric bill now.
Mathew

Westerville, OH

#2 Jul 26, 2011
That's right, costs never go up. Why oh why isn't a loaf of bread still 5 cents like it was 50 years ago?
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 26, 2011
Don't they owe us money? This is f'ing ridiculous.
Ohio Patriot

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 26, 2011
It looks like a major power play by AEP. As far as I'm concerned, we now know why Kasich & the Republican legislature gutted the Office of Consumers' Counsel so their pals at AEP would have less opposition on stunts like this. It is like no one in Ohio government cares for the public anymore - we're all sheep being sheared for the corporate insiders.

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#5 Jul 26, 2011
They overcharge us but they cannot give it back..but then raise the rates as well. Wanna raise the rates? Pay us back the overcharge first.
workingdadof7

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2011
I'm going Amish if this keeps up. I can barely afford the bill now. And i put in those energy saving bulbs. And my bill keeps going up.
Business conservative

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 26, 2011
Costs go up and investors expect good returns. However, AEP is still a VERY profitable company while a lot of the rest of us struggle. A rate increase is not much different than a tax increase - it will cut into a business' bottom line and will stifle growth in the economy at a time we can't afford to be taking steps backward fiscally. So don't expect any real growth in the job market if we have to pay thousands of dollars more for electricity to run the business.
Power grab

Hilliard, OH

#8 Jul 26, 2011
Ohio Patriot wrote:
It looks like a major power play by AEP. As far as I'm concerned, we now know why Kasich & the Republican legislature gutted the Office of Consumers' Counsel so their pals at AEP would have less opposition on stunts like this. It is like no one in Ohio government cares for the public anymore - we're all sheep being sheared for the corporate insiders.
WRONG! The PUCO under Ted Strickland granted AEP the huge increases they got.

Also, if the environazis/liberals and democrats would allow oil and gas drilling and coal cleaning technology in power plants our electricity would be less costly.

Solar and wind is not the sole answer.
John

Westerville, OH

#9 Jul 26, 2011
In other news, people are outraged that houses no longer cost $5,000 and cars are no longer available for under $1,000.
Cru Jones

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 26, 2011
Deregulation is such a success.
GoBucks

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 26, 2011
Really!?- you're that concerned about $1.29 per month increase in your electric bill? The cost to fill up you gas tank will go up $.50 per gallon in a day - yet no one does anything about that. I don't think AEP is making $9 billion every quarter AND getting subsidized by the government. We spend how much money on attorneys to fight dinky increases (which AEP pays for by the way) by a regulated utility yet practically nothing to reduce other costs of energy.
Dave

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 26, 2011
I have mixed feelings, since I have about 1500 shares of AEP stock in my IRA. The dividends more than pay for my electric bill.

If you think a company is making too much money, buy some of their stock!
History major

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 26, 2011
GoBucks wrote:
Really!?- you're that concerned about $1.29 per month increase in your electric bill? The cost to fill up you gas tank will go up $.50 per gallon in a day - yet no one does anything about that. I don't think AEP is making $9 billion every quarter AND getting subsidized by the government. We spend how much money on attorneys to fight dinky increases (which AEP pays for by the way) by a regulated utility yet practically nothing to reduce other costs of energy.
Most of us can afford the average $1.29 increase per month without noticing it. I'm more concerned about the overall impact on non-residential users. My average bill is around $100 a month (higher in winter/lower in summer). But what about entities with large buildings or lots of power equipment. I pay taxes to support my local schools and government buildings. Their average monthly electric bills are hundreds, even thousands of dollars. A 1 or 2% rate increase adds up to a lot of money over a year. That takes away from their already strained budgets.

And what about busineses, especially manufacturing and warehousing? Their electric costs will raise a lot, especially with the costs of the riders AEP is not disclosing right now. Those businesses are likely to charge more for their products and services ... and guess who gets to pay for that? Yep, me and you. That's if the business decides to stick around. Maybe they will just close and go elsewhere where the electric rates are cheaper.

I don't begrudge anyone, including AEP, a profit, but how much profit is enough? Utility companies are still making huge, even record profits. Well, they will make less money if they run businesses out of the area. I would be willing to endorse a temporary rate increase if it was for a specific project, such as improving transmission lines, burying power lines, etc., as long as it was then removed once the project is paid for (similar to a bond tax issue). You know that won't happen.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 26, 2011
Gotta pay for that Scioto Mile park somehow.

Since: Nov 09

Maumee

#15 Jul 26, 2011
Not one dime to AEP, its CEO Michael Morris, and its funding in "One Ohio United."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_ne...

A public utility should never be engaged in naked politics.
i wish

Coal Center, PA

#16 Jul 26, 2011
We need to drill and we need to use our plentiful coal after all. How much will the bills go up when they get all the electric cars running? We are going to have to choose between living in the Garden of Eden or living in reality. Our corn was taken for fuel and you see how that has reduced prices.
OPR

Heath, OH

#17 Jul 26, 2011
My rates per KWH have increased every month since January. I now pay 49% more per KWH than in July than I did that month.

I'm not sure how these 2% increases make news but the monthly ones do not.
Mimi

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 26, 2011
Used to be my gas bill was too high, now it's electric & they have the nerve to want to raise it again? There hasn't been a "wind storm" to blame it on so wthell?
Bob

Columbus, OH

#19 Jul 26, 2011
AEP is in the business of making money at the expenses of boobs using too much electricity in their households or places of business. Higher electric rates translate into higher costs of goods in order to set aside some money to pay for electricity every month. Why do several places of business, restaurants, and stores keep light and AC on overnight when no one is there?
worthington bubble

Columbus, OH

#20 Jul 26, 2011
Power grab wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG! The PUCO under Ted Strickland granted AEP the huge increases they got.
Also, if the environazis/liberals and democrats would allow oil and gas drilling and coal cleaning technology in power plants our electricity would be less costly.
Solar and wind is not the sole answer.
That's what they said about deregulation. That's what they said about tort reform and our insurance rates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
End of Life on Earth 3 min Terrified 21
What will central Ohio look like in 40 years? 36 min I Do Know 11
COPS lives MATTER 1 hr Duke for Mayor 152
Who do you side with in New York and why? 1 hr Big Johnson 12
The Middle East 1 hr Pale Rider 46
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 2 hr Duke for Mayor 6
Merry Christmas everybody 2 hr Duke for Mayor 31
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Pale Rider 4,922
2 magical days until Christmas 2 hr Jack N Hoff 68
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:46 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:46PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
NFL 7:11 AM
Mike Pettine: Browns won't write off Manziel, Gilbert
Bleacher Report10:17 AM
Complete Week 17 Preview for Baltimore