Sex Offender Housing Program Upsets Neighbors | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS 35
On West Fifth Street in Mansfield it's not uncommon to see kids enjoying their summer. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sir shut your mouth

Grove City, OH

#1 Aug 11, 2011
Sex Offender...........Call these scumbags what they really are and quit being so pc. They are sick animals who did and do prey on innocent children for their own gratification. Castration is needed in most cases.
sidekick

Bowling Green, OH

#2 Aug 11, 2011
I don't know if 90 days is a good or bad thing?? That is not going to completly change a sicko. I think they should stick these kind of people in some deserted woods with fences for life. See how many repeaters you get after that conviction.

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Aug 11, 2011
You have to admit they need some housing, and it's better to know where they live so that the authorities can find them than to have them wandering the streets anonymously.

They should be creating some kind of group housing complexes, YMCA style, away from residential neighborhoods, and with some sort of security monitoring and curfews.

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#4 Aug 11, 2011
I have no sympathy for child molesters...yes, castrating them is a better solution.
Derp

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 11, 2011
sir shut your mouth wrote:
Sex Offender..........Call these **** what they really are and quit being so pc. They are sick animals who did and do prey on innocent children for their own gratification. Castration is needed in most cases.
Not a matter of being "pc" "Sex Offender" is a lot easier to say / write than "sick animals who did and do prey on innocent children for their own gratification."

Additionally, "Sex Offender" includes those offenders who prey on those other than children.

Brooklyn, New York

#7 Aug 11, 2011
sjm wrote:
<quoted text>Bullet to the brain is better yet.
Even better...
The 2007 Miami Dolphins

Pickerington, OH

#8 Aug 11, 2011
They have to live somewhere... and what exactly do you do to women sex offenders? They can't get castrated, and unless you see a reciprocated form of discipline, castration would be considered "cruel or unusual punishment" on the basis of gender.
They paid their dues... and not all sex offenders are bad people in contrary to what the media tells you. Remember, sending a shirtless photo (if your a guy) and getting "caught" = becoming a sex offender.
Defender of Liberty

Columbus, OH

#9 Aug 11, 2011
There are now over a hundred different things that get one "listed." Anything from urinating in public to a serial rapist. Currently, there is no way to know what type of charge a person has without doing some digging. The way the registry currently works, everyone is pretty much lumped together. The tiers really mean nothing. I've heard of a lot of tier 3's are simply a 19 year old "being" with their 15 year old girl/boy friend. Most of these people are no threat, but with the saturated state of the registry, we have no idea who the "really bad" people are. In a related matter, parents should trust no one around their kids, whether registered or not. This is a dangerous world, kids should be watched at all times. We shouldn't just assume, "there is no one registered around here, so it's safe."
sjm

Columbus, OH

#10 Aug 11, 2011
The 2007 Miami Dolphins wrote:
They have to live somewhere... and what exactly do you do to women sex offenders? They can't get castrated, and unless you see a reciprocated form of discipline, castration would be considered "cruel or unusual punishment" on the basis of gender.
They paid their dues... and not all sex offenders are bad people in contrary to what the media tells you. Remember, sending a shirtless photo (if your a guy) and getting "caught" = becoming a sex offender.
We're not discussing guys who got caught peeing in public, or grabbed a grown woman's ass in a bar because they were drunk. We're discussing VIOLENT, child predators.

The answer for violent child predators is a bullet to the brain. Period.
CommonSense

Sandusky, OH

#12 Aug 11, 2011
There is an organization which has tons of information, reports, studies, documents for download, court cases.. audio files and videos.. all simply to educate the WORLD as to the error of these humiliating laws. Citizens for Change, America The voice of THOUSANDS of men, women and children who have been banished from society. Marked, Branded as castouts, lepers.. due to the Stigma and Humiliation of the Public *** Offender Registry! http://www.cfcamerica.org
These laws are so unjust, so extreme. But the self-righteous, hateful, off with their .....fanatics want to bring back Salem. I hope more rational minded people will prevail. The registry may serve to unduly frighten many parents, may titillate those who use it for amusement but make no mistake, it is ruining people's lives who do not deserve it. Right now there are so many non dangerous people are on there. Some have been murdered or else killed themselves. I guess the fanatics are happy about that. " If you care, go to: http://ilvoices.com
I disagree with the Registry for the following reasons: 1) SOs have a 5.3% recidivism rate as noted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, and an 8% recidivism rate per Ohio’s own study. There is NO valid study which cites that SOs reoffend at a high rate. They are easily found if you do your research. I expect more out of journalists, who should research without having to be told. 2) Not all SOs are the same, their crimes differ just as there is a difference between a Theft Offender (shoplifter vs. an armed home invading robber), or an Assault Offender (murderer vs. a serial killer). 3) Per Dr. Prendergast in his book (ISBN: 0-7890-0931-5), who worked with SOs exclusively for over 40 years in New Jersey, the cure (yes…CURE) rate is over 90%. Having a sex offense is no different than punching someone in the face. One assaults with his fist, while the other with a private body part. But the thought processes are the same. 4) The scary dangerous ones are extremely few in number, while those who offended against family members are the least dangerous, and over 90% of SOs are this type. 5) The FBI has reported that given the current hype about SOs and the eroding of constitutional rights in the form of hearsay rules, incident dates, etc., at least 30% of the current SO population are probably innocent. NY and NJ have studied their Registries, and found them to be ineffective. 6) Mrs. Wetterling, who after her son was murdered in 1989 started the Megan’s Law legislation has written an article where she now rejects what the Labeling Laws have become, and the targets she has placed on SOs who have nothing to do with the circumstances of her son’s case. 7) Public humiliation was outlawed over 200 years ago in this country, and more so in Europe. I don’t like going back to a less civilized time. 8) Everyone deserves a second chance. That is the basis of our country. 9) I would rather know of a drug dealer, meth manufacturer, or a gang member living next to me than an SO. They all have over 80% recidivism rates. 10) Finally, I think it is unchristian to gossip and destroy someone’s character for a past offense, when it is not my business. I have always kept an eye on my kids, and I fear drug dealers much more.
All sex offender laws are stupid, they provide no safety to the public, and should be undone.
Defender of Liberty

Columbus, OH

#13 Aug 11, 2011
I was just trying to say that we really don't know who they (the truly dangerous) are. There is so much saturation of the registry. Even with that said, I would never say to put as bullet to anyone's head. If we go down that line, then I really believe that we all sinners in God's eyes, and we would all deserve to have a bullet put through our heads.
sjm wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not discussing guys who got caught peeing in public, or grabbed a grown woman's **** in a bar because they were drunk. We're discussing VIOLENT, child predators.
The answer for violent child predators is a bullet to the brain. Period.

Brooklyn, New York

#14 Aug 11, 2011
The 2007 Miami Dolphins wrote:
Not true. There is female castration.
Ouch

Lebanon, OH

#15 Aug 11, 2011
We will have to form a neighborhood watch group and arm ourselves in case petaphiles put one foot on our yards. Hopefully they don't or they might have a relationship, WITH LEAD, instead of our children.
trosa

Mount Vernon, OH

#16 Aug 11, 2011
You can not rehabliate these people. As far as the " Everyone needs to live somewhere," just make them join the armed forces and use them to defend this country, not destoy more lives!
South Florida Buckeye

Hollywood, FL

#17 Aug 11, 2011
put them in card board boxes under a bridge! still better than they deserve!
The 2007 Miami Dolphins

Pickerington, OH

#19 Aug 11, 2011
You can't just castrate someone because they commit a sex crime. Most pedophiles' brains are essentially hardwired to commit these deviant acts, whether it be from being traumatized at an early age or whatever.

I instill as much trust when it comes to my kids with a criminal as I would any stranger off the street; none.
Nope

Reynoldsburg, OH

#20 Aug 11, 2011
CommonSense wrote:
There is an organization which has tons of information, reports, studies, documents for download, court cases.. audio files and videos.. all simply to educate the WORLD as to the error of these humiliating laws. Citizens for Change, America The voice of THOUSANDS of men, women and children who have been banished from society. Marked, Branded as castouts, lepers.. due to the Stigma and Humiliation of the Public *** Offender Registry! http://www.cfcamerica.org
These laws are so unjust, so extreme. But the self-righteous, hateful, off with their .....fanatics want to bring back Salem. I hope more rational minded people will prevail. The registry may serve to unduly frighten many parents, may titillate those who use it for amusement but make no mistake, it is ruining people's lives who do not deserve it. Right now there are so many non dangerous people are on there. Some have been murdered or else killed themselves. I guess the fanatics are happy about that. " If you care, go to: http://ilvoices.com
I disagree with the Registry for the following reasons: 1) SOs have a 5.3% recidivism rate as noted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, and an 8% recidivism rate per Ohio’s own study. There is NO valid study which cites that SOs reoffend at a high rate. They are easily found if you do your research. I expect more out of journalists, who should research without having to be told. 2) Not all SOs are the same, their crimes differ just as there is a difference between a Theft Offender (shoplifter vs. an armed home invading robber), or an Assault Offender (murderer vs. a serial killer). 3) Per Dr. Prendergast in his book (ISBN: 0-7890-0931-5), who worked with SOs exclusively for over 40 years in New Jersey, the cure (yes…CURE) rate is over 90%. Having a sex offense is no different than punching someone in the face. One assaults with his fist, while the other with a private body part. But the thought processes are the same. 4) The scary dangerous ones are extremely few in number, while those who offended against family members are the least dangerous, and over 90% of SOs are this type. 5) The FBI has reported that given the current hype about SOs and the eroding of constitutional rights in the form of hearsay rules, incident dates, etc., at least 30% of the current SO population are probably innocent. NY and NJ have studied their Registries, and found them to be ineffective. 6) Mrs. Wetterling, who after her son was murdered in 1989 started the Megan’s Law legislation has written an article where she now rejects what the Labeling Laws have become, and the targets she has placed on SOs who have nothing to do with the circumstances of her son’s case. 7) Public humiliation was outlawed over 200 years ago in this country, and more so in Europe. I don’t like going back to a less civilized time. 8) Everyone deserves a second chance. That is the basis of our country. 9) I would rather know of a drug dealer, meth manufacturer, or a gang member living next to me than an SO. They all have over 80% recidivism rates. 10) Finally, I think it is unchristian to gossip and destroy someone’s character for a past offense, when it is not my business. I have always kept an eye on my kids, and I fear drug dealers much more.
All sex offender laws are stupid, they provide no safety to the public, and should be undone.
TLDR
Linda

Galloway, OH

#21 Aug 11, 2011
Nobody wants perverts living around them. I do not believe sex offenders can ever change. It would be like trying to change a leopards colors. These perverts need to be isolated totally from society forever. They are predators and will continue hunting for the next victim.This is my opinion.
Truth-Teller

Sandusky, OH

#22 Aug 11, 2011
Linda wrote:
Nobody wants perverts living around them. I do not believe sex offenders can ever change. It would be like trying to change a leopards colors. These perverts need to be isolated totally from society forever. They are predators and will continue hunting for the next victim.This is my opinion.
Too bad you continue to ignor the facts. Too bad you like to blind yourself to the truth. Too bad you have accepted what others have told you without critically thinking for yourself. Too bad you are a sad person. Too many accept whatever they hear, and if the lie is big enough, and told over and over again, they will believe it. You are not a US citizen, but one who would support any dictatorship as long as they "tickled" your ear. How sad...
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#23 Aug 11, 2011
Linda wrote:
Speak for yourself. I bet some of them are fun people!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FCCS seeks Holiday Wish donations 24 min Big Johnson 2
Wilson 's "injuries" 24 min Black Rhino 18
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 25 min Black Rhino 369
Coleman To Announce He Will Not Seek Re-election 30 min Big Johnson 2
BREAKING: Ferguson GJ Ruling Reached 31 min Black Rhino 35
Must See Riot Video illustrating Raw Courage 35 min Big Johnson 4
Under the Cover of Darkness 2 hr Pale Rider 3
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Pale Rider 4,597
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:24 pm PST

NBC Sports12:24PM
Dolphins bring back cornerback R.J. Stanford
NBC Sports12:49 PM
Bengals kicker Nugent perfect since overtime miss - NBC Sports
ESPN12:58 PM
Bengals' Smith (torn triceps) goes on IR
Bleacher Report 8:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Bucs vs. Bengals?
Bleacher Report 9:21 PM
How Gordon Tore Apart Falcons in Week 12