“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#104 Jan 30, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply said:
If you're at the mall, the mosque, the market...and a gunman begins shooting...who you gonna call?
Another gunman, of course...the police. And why?
Because you know that it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun.
And you...being unarmed...are helpless.
Studies are unnecessary to prove this plain fact.
And then the question becomes, do you want the good guy with the gun NOW? Or in a few minutes?
Guns Germs and Steel

New Albany, OH

#105 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
From Huffington Post. Excerpted from an editorial by Matthew Chapman:
"I am pretty sure I can predict the outcome of the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on guns today. Reason will not prevail. Nowhere in America is anyone proposing a serious ban on weapons, yet gun lovers squeal in hysterical fear and frighten everyone else. It must be a form of Infantile Castration Anxiety. "Please don't take my ickle shooter, daddy." How else can you explain this overreaction to a public health problem that's been solved in so many other places? Looked at rationally, even the most stringent gun proposals barely qualify as circumcision let alone the full snip (or the Big G as they call it in the gelding fraternity). No, this is an irrational fear, and unless it is understood as such, men and boys will keep on shooting people."
----------
"It is interesting -- and supportive of my castration anxiety theory -- that the physically weaker half of the population, women and girls, tend to be much less strident about guns than men. Apart from a few shrieking NRA transvestites (I think), most women seem to be either silent, reasonable, or in favor of more gun control. Perhaps they know that a gun in the house raises the likelihood of their getting shot and killed by a factor of 3.4, and that ninety percent of the time their killer will not be a stranger breaking into their house in the dead of night but someone they know.(To be shot by the man of the house holding the gun that was bought to defend the woman of the house from the stranger breaking into the house... talk about irony.)
"Facing death by man-plus-gun, but at least not feeling their "femismo" threatened by weapon-loss, women appear to view gun violence more calmly and more expansively. They are afraid, naturally, but want more permanent solutions to their vulnerability than the brief, unearned power-rush endowed by the gamble of picking up a gun."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-chapman...
I am certain that there are women who post here who disagree. But, there does seem to be an unaccountable attraction to guns and posturing in response to the merest specter of their regulation that does not respond to logic.
And, it looks to me to be the same factor in operation whether it is otherwise powerless gang-bangers in the hood, or mild-mannered Walter Mitty types in the burbs.
The only thing keeping the barbarians in check is the Warrior Heterosexual Christian Male Culture. Without them the world will slump back into the Dark Ages, literally.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#106 Jan 30, 2013
http://tinyurl.com/a22g9co

01/30/13

WAIT, I THOUGHT THIS KIND OF THING NEVER HAPPENED:

Home Invasion Suspect Dies Of Gunshot Wound.“One man was killed and another shot in the leg when they, along with three others, allegedly participated in a home invasion Monday evening where the residents fought back.... Fairborn Police Sgt. Paul Hicks said the only motive they’ve uncovered was that the subjects intended to rob the home. Two Wright State University students who live at 1006 Victoria Ave. were home when the intruders entered. Trent Seitz, 21, reportedly struggled with the men and was ordered to the floor. He called out for his roommate, Christopher Muse, who told police that he grabbed a gun and fired at the men.”

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#107 Jan 30, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And then the question becomes, do you want the good guy with the gun NOW? Or in a few minutes?
On the other hand, do you want to have to figure out which guys with guns are the good guys and which are the bad guys--or are you more likely to just take for granted that anyone with a gun drawn should be avoided--unless perhaps they are wearing a uniform?

C'mon, you hear shooting, you run towards it gun drawn (big mistake, btw) and you see two gunmen with guns drawn. Who are you gonna shoot? And is one of them going to shoot you? or maybe both? Maybe the bad guy will shoot you just because you're there and the the good guy will shoot you because you are armed.

Sorry--I don't want a lotta cowboys running around malls with pistols.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#108 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, do you want to have to figure out which guys with guns are the good guys and which are the bad guys--or are you more likely to just take for granted that anyone with a gun drawn should be avoided--unless perhaps they are wearing a uniform?
C'mon, you hear shooting, you run towards it gun drawn (big mistake, btw) and you see two gunmen with guns drawn. Who are you gonna shoot? And is one of them going to shoot you? or maybe both? Maybe the bad guy will shoot you just because you're there and the the good guy will shoot you because you are armed.
It's been that way for a few years by now. A shooter in Portland OR terminated himself when a CCW holder confronted him

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#109 Jan 30, 2013
-tip- wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/a22g9co
01/30/13
WAIT, I THOUGHT THIS KIND OF THING NEVER HAPPENED:
Home Invasion Suspect Dies Of Gunshot Wound.“One man was killed and another shot in the leg when they, along with three others, allegedly participated in a home invasion Monday evening where the residents fought back.... Fairborn Police Sgt. Paul Hicks said the only motive they’ve uncovered was that the subjects intended to rob the home. Two Wright State University students who live at 1006 Victoria Ave. were home when the intruders entered. Trent Seitz, 21, reportedly struggled with the men and was ordered to the floor. He called out for his roommate, Christopher Muse, who told police that he grabbed a gun and fired at the men.”
Yeah, neither does this:

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-09-28/connectic...

Location hidden

#110 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, neither does this:
http://cjonline.com/news/2012-09-28/connectic...
Tragic, but rare.
Continue to grasp at straws.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Planet Earth

#111 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means duck until the shooting stops. You're going to anyway, right? Even if the cops ARE there.
I'm not into suicide missions. I would do my best evaluate the situation before entering a potential danger area, and act as seems the most prudent to prevent injury or death to myself and if possible, other innocents. If I see two people shooting at each other, I'd probably bow out to as safe a place as possible, and try to help other innocents do the same on my way out. If it's one guy shooting innocents, I'd probably try to intervene if I thought I could help diffuse the situation without causing more harm. Then when the police finally did arrive, I would surrender my weapon immediately, and explain what I saw and did.
Tough. People have the right to protect themselves regardless of what you want. Personally, if I were unarmed, I'd rather go to a mall where anybody might be carrying legally (open or concealed) than one where one lunatic may be carrying illegally.

I think it's somewhat ironic that even though I'm the one prepared to defend myself and my family, and you're the peacenik liberal, deep down I seem to trust people in general more than you do (even armed ones). It seems you can only trust people you can control... which may be indicative of something, but I'm not sure what.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#112 Jan 31, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Tragic, but rare.
Continue to grasp at straws.
Not rare at all.

woof

Location hidden

#113 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not rare at all.
woof
More people die from choking every year than accidental gun death.
Run along now and gather signatures for your petition to ban food.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#114 Jan 31, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
More people die from choking every year than accidental gun death.
Run along now and gather signatures for your petition to ban food.
Why would I do that?

But neither circumstance is "rare", as you suggest. That's all I said.

And I'm sure that if you start looking at non-fatal accidental shootings, the numbers are quite likely 3-10 times higher.

But hey, its convenient that facts are easily manipulable, isn't it Tinkerbelle?

woof

Location hidden

#115 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I do that?
But neither circumstance is "rare", as you suggest. That's all I said.
And I'm sure that if you start looking at non-fatal accidental shootings, the numbers are quite likely 3-10 times higher.
But hey, its convenient that facts are easily manipulable, isn't it Tinkerbelle?
woof
Facts remain facts:

Accidental gun deaths account for 0.5% of all accidental deaths.

In 2009 -- latest year for data -- the CDC reports that less than 1% of the population experienced a non-fatal gun injury [accidental OR intentional].

Meanwhile, 2.8% of the population had a non-fatal fall injury.

In other words, you are more likely to be injured or killed from an accidental fall than from a firearm.

Ban falling.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#116 Jan 31, 2013
Oooops.

Make that 20-25 times higher.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#117 Jan 31, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts remain facts:
Accidental gun deaths account for 0.5% of all accidental deaths.
In 2009 -- latest year for data -- the CDC reports that less than 1% of the population experienced a non-fatal gun injury [accidental OR intentional].
Meanwhile, 2.8% of the population had a non-fatal fall injury.
In other words, you are more likely to be injured or killed from an accidental fall than from a firearm.
Ban falling.
Methinks Tinkerbelle, that you're the one grasping at straws now.

I've read about people suffering internal eye injuries from coughing too.

woof

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Columbus, OH

#118 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
woof
Links please comparing the two.

Location hidden

#119 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Methinks Tinkerbelle, that you're the one grasping at straws now.
woof
In other words...you've got nothing.

Meanwhile, what the gun-grabbers NEVER admit:

More than half of all U.S. gun deaths per year are the result of suicide.

From the CDC, for 2010:

35,080 deaths from motor vehicle accidents [National Vital Statistics Report, Jan 2012]

30,323 deaths related to guns, as follows:

11,015 gun-related deaths as a result of homicide
19,308 gun-related deaths as a result of suicide

Overall...gun-related homicide deaths are at 3.6%, while alcohol-related deaths at 8.2%, and those pesky falls I mentioned earlier are at 8.4%[National Vital Statistics Report, January 2012].

So...please, please watch your step on ladders and such.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#120 Jan 31, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Links please comparing the two.
The two what? And why?

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#121 Jan 31, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words...you've got nothing.
Meanwhile, what the gun-grabbers NEVER admit:
More than half of all U.S. gun deaths per year are the result of suicide.
From the CDC, for 2010:
35,080 deaths from motor vehicle accidents [National Vital Statistics Report, Jan 2012]
30,323 deaths related to guns, as follows:
11,015 gun-related deaths as a result of homicide
19,308 gun-related deaths as a result of suicide
Overall...gun-related homicide deaths are at 3.6%, while alcohol-related deaths at 8.2%, and those pesky falls I mentioned earlier are at 8.4%[National Vital Statistics Report, January 2012].
So...please, please watch your step on ladders and such.
I'm well aware of the statistics Tinkerbelle.

But there's are several salient facts which you either intentionally, or unintentionally leave out.

I will mention one or two, and I'll leave you to ponder what some of the countless others might be.

Have you considered the fact that human beings are by their very biology, bi-peds? They ambulate and climb on billions of occasions daily, innately.

Have you considered the statistics involving accidental shootings where the injured party is a juvenile, particularly those who are under, say...eight years old?

Carry on.

woof

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Columbus, OH

#122 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The two what? And why?
woof
accidental shootings vs. eye injuries from coughing. I'll connect the dots for your inability to comprehend what you posted. Apples to oranges...

Location hidden

#123 Jan 31, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm well aware of the statistics Tinkerbelle.
But there's are several salient facts which you either intentionally, or unintentionally leave out.
I will mention one or two, and I'll leave you to ponder what some of the countless others might be.
Have you considered the fact that human beings are by their very biology, bi-peds? They ambulate and climb on billions of occasions daily, innately.
Have you considered the statistics involving accidental shootings where the injured party is a juvenile, particularly those who are under, say...eight years old?
Carry on.
woof
And there are millions of U.S. gunowners who safely use their guns weekly.
You have no point.

We don't ban bicycles because a percentage of U.S. cyclists are accidentally killed annually while enjoying their hobby.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BizzyBee's New Year's meal traditions 4 min They cannot kill ... 1
OBAMMY GIVES US GAS FOR Under $ 2 A GALLON!! 9 min d pantz 3
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 23 min They cannot kill ... 4,998
Who do you side with in New York and why? 23 min d pantz 31
Thrift Stores High PRices 40 min now hey 3
Divers search for vehicle in pond in Far East S... 4 hr Bump Thump Thump 1
Marriage Vows 5 hr wondering 12
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance