Comments
101 - 120 of 143 Comments Last updated Dec 8, 2012

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#119
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>

Example: DC Convention in Charlotte - 2012: Muslims were welcomed into the convention hall for a prayer and welcoming ceremony. Christians were denied entrance by the democrats because they held 'a different view on abortion.
The following religious speakers were all in attendance during the DNC.

Tuesday invocation: Metropolitan Nicholas, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit

Tuesday benediction: Jena Lee Nardella, executive director, Blood: Water Mission

Wednesday invocation: the Rev. Vashti Murphy McKenzie, presiding bishop, African Methodist Episcopal Church

Wednesday benediction: Rabbi David Wolpe, Sinai Temple in Los Angeles

Thursday invocation: the Rev. Gabriel Salguero, president, National Latino Evangelical Coalition

Thursday benediction: Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York

While you may despise intellect, faux or otherwise, I would beg you to spend a moment to further research and develop your arguments in light of easily discovered facts.

Just because you would like something to be true to support your argument, does not mean that it is true.
notlocal

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#120
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
The following religious speakers were all in attendance during the DNC.
Tuesday invocation: Metropolitan Nicholas, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit
Tuesday benediction: Jena Lee Nardella, executive director, Blood: Water Mission
Wednesday invocation: the Rev. Vashti Murphy McKenzie, presiding bishop, African Methodist Episcopal Church
Wednesday benediction: Rabbi David Wolpe, Sinai Temple in Los Angeles
Thursday invocation: the Rev. Gabriel Salguero, president, National Latino Evangelical Coalition
Thursday benediction: Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York
While you may despise intellect, faux or otherwise, I would beg you to spend a moment to further research and develop your arguments in light of easily discovered facts.
Just because you would like something to be true to support your argument, does not mean that it is true.
You are right. Thank you for helping me know the truth. I guess President Obama isn't so bad after all.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#121
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

No problem!

In the future, if you're going to make a claim based in an assumed fact, google it first. If everyone double checked their claims before making them, intelligent discourse would be a lot more accessible.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#122
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

tranpsosition wrote:
No problem!
In the future, if you're going to make a claim based in an assumed fact, google it first. If everyone double checked their claims before making them, intelligent discourse would be a lot more accessible.
Open your eyes...you responded to a poser spoofing notlocal's name. Note the location.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#123
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

I thought she seemed unusually reasonable! Thanks for the heads up!

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#124
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess we can be progressive, we can have a new model of the private sector delivering education.
Funded by whom?

In some countries such private sector efforts have greater or lesser market share--however, they typically receive government funding.

The efforts here in the US (vouchers, publicly funded charter schools) have not shown any overwhelming levels of success. Just like traditional district schools, some are excellent, some horrendous and the vast majority run somewhere around mediocrity.

And when it comes to private for-profit, well the success stories are few and the information about expenditures really, really sparse.

So--if you do not advocate this huge change in the structure of education based on some track record of success, what exactly is your thinking?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#125
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
The following religious speakers were all in attendance during the DNC.
Tuesday invocation: Metropolitan Nicholas, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit
Tuesday benediction: Jena Lee Nardella, executive director, Blood: Water Mission
Wednesday invocation: the Rev. Vashti Murphy McKenzie, presiding bishop, African Methodist Episcopal Church
Wednesday benediction: Rabbi David Wolpe, Sinai Temple in Los Angeles
Thursday invocation: the Rev. Gabriel Salguero, president, National Latino Evangelical Coalition
Thursday benediction: Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York
While you may despise intellect, faux or otherwise, I would beg you to spend a moment to further research and develop your arguments in light of easily discovered facts.
Just because you would like something to be true to support your argument, does not mean that it is true.
Someone got their undies in a bunch about something that was flying around the internet.

There was a Muslim group, not associated with the DNC, that was praying outside the convention.

All the right-wingers who fervently believe that to be a Democrat (or even further left) is the same as rejecting Christianity (or embracing either atheism or Islam) started shouting about it.

But, as you said, research is not exactly the strong suit of the rumor mongers.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#126
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay salty when you can!
Yo.
Why stay salty? hmmm
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#127
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Thank you for helping me know the truth. I guess President Obama isn't so bad after all.
LMAO

“Hey, Sarge!”

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#128
Dec 7, 2012
 
Good is Life wrote:
<quoted text>Why stay salty? hmmm
Tongue in cheek, quick retorts, and the like...
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#129
Dec 7, 2012
 
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
The following religious speakers were all in attendance during the DNC.
I'm not arguing, Trans. Yes, the folks you list were probably in attendance.
That does not change the fact that Charlotte 714, a group of Christian churches, were denied an opportunity by the DNC to welcome the DNC delegates. They had also prepared gift baskets containing pralines, which they were not allowed to deliver. A text from the mayor to the Charoltte 714 read, "We regret to inform but we ask that you not send those baskets, and not engage 'Adopt a Delegation' because your views on women are contary to the convention."
"One delegate told CBN news he thinks the DNC was wrong because it sanctioned an Islamic event just last week." (That was a two day jumah, with many Muslim speakers, some radicals, held in Charlotte.)
Everyone is aware and remembers the DNC had taken 'God' out of their platform, and after critisism. held a voice vote in the convention hall as to whether to reinstate the word 'God.'
The voice vote was not clear one way or another, and after three attempts, a woman walked to the gentleman at the podium and said "Just call it 'yay.'
I'd post links, but it seems if they are more than a month old they take you to an 'expired page.' It is what it is. Freedom of religion is guarantee to us. Let them pray to whomever they want to.
But I will not have Reader twisting my words in order to 'make a post.'

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#130
Dec 7, 2012
 
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not arguing, Trans. Yes, the folks you list were probably in attendance.
That does not change the fact that Charlotte 714, a group of Christian churches, were denied an opportunity by the DNC to welcome the DNC delegates. They had also prepared gift baskets containing pralines, which they were not allowed to deliver. A text from the mayor to the Charoltte 714 read, "We regret to inform but we ask that you not send those baskets, and not engage 'Adopt a Delegation' because your views on women are contary to the convention."
"One delegate told CBN news he thinks the DNC was wrong because it sanctioned an Islamic event just last week." (That was a two day jumah, with many Muslim speakers, some radicals, held in Charlotte.)
Everyone is aware and remembers the DNC had taken 'God' out of their platform, and after critisism. held a voice vote in the convention hall as to whether to reinstate the word 'God.'
The voice vote was not clear one way or another, and after three attempts, a woman walked to the gentleman at the podium and said "Just call it 'yay.'
I'd post links, but it seems if they are more than a month old they take you to an 'expired page.' It is what it is. Freedom of religion is guarantee to us. Let them pray to whomever they want to.
But I will not have Reader twisting my words in order to 'make a post.'
The DNC did not sanction the jumah. It was a concurrent event, one of many that were posted to the DNC website by their various organizers.

I would be interested in more info regarding the roles of the mayor of Charlotte and the church wanting to deliver gift baskets.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#131
Dec 7, 2012
 
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
But I will not have Reader twisting my words in order to 'make a post.'
From the Charlotte Observer:

Democrats are disputing widely circulated right-wing attacks that they refused “gift baskets” to Democratic National Convention delegates because the gifts came from Charlotte area churches with “pro-life” or “anti-abortion” views.
“We received dozens of requests,” said Josh Field, the spokesman for the local DNC host committee.“This wasn’t something out of the ordinary; with 6,000 delegates we couldn’t accommodate all the requests.”

Field says the Host Committee events director and press secretary held a conference call with representatives of Charlotte 714, a group which claimed to represent 100 churches "and in the group's conversations with the Host Committee, no political or religious reasons were mentioned. It was logistics."

Fox Radio commentator Todd Starnes repeated the assertion of church leaders that the DNC refused the gifts on ideological grounds. The report was picked up by Rev. Austin Miles on a blog which maintains the churches “offered hospitality, not knowing how much the Dems hate God.”

Miles goes on to allege that “Even the Charlotte Mayor’s office jumped in to tell the churches not to participate, saying that their views on women’s rights are contrary to the platform.”
A spokesman for the Office of Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx, Al Killeffer, responded:
“The Mayor's office did not receive any communication on the matter of gift baskets from Charlotte 714. The group's request to distribute gift baskets to delegates was handled by the Charlotte in 2012 Host Committee. The Host Committee received a number of offers to extend hospitality to delegates during the convention, and groups wishing to provide delegate gift baskets or bags, including Charlotte 714, were informed their requests could not be accommodated due to logistical challenges. They were thanked for their generosity and interest in participating.”

In a series of e-mail replies to questions from WCNC-TV, David Benham, a principle organizer of the Charlotte 714 movement, said he received a text message from Charlotte Mayor Pro-Tem Patrick Cannon to say the DNC denied his request to send gift baskets “…because my (personal) views on women were contrary to the platform.”

“That’s totally been misconstrued,” said Cannon, who said he was trying to help the churches get in touch with the host committee.“I don’t know enough about their position on women’s rights. That didn’t stem from me because I wouldn’t have known it.” Under Charlotte’s “weak mayor” form of government, Patrick Cannon is elected at large as a member of Charlotte City Council and does not represent the Mayor’s office.“The Mayor’s office didn’t get involved,” said Cannon.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/26/3...

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#132
Dec 7, 2012
 
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not arguing, Trans. Yes, the folks you list were probably in attendance.
That does not change the fact that Charlotte 714, a group of Christian churches, were denied an opportunity by the DNC to welcome the DNC delegates. They had also prepared gift baskets containing pralines, which they were not allowed to deliver. A text from the mayor to the Charoltte 714 read, "We regret to inform but we ask that you not send those baskets, and not engage 'Adopt a Delegation' because your views on women are contary to the convention."
"One delegate told CBN news he thinks the DNC was wrong because it sanctioned an Islamic event just last week." (That was a two day jumah, with many Muslim speakers, some radicals, held in Charlotte.)
Everyone is aware and remembers the DNC had taken 'God' out of their platform, and after critisism. held a voice vote in the convention hall as to whether to reinstate the word 'God.'
The voice vote was not clear one way or another, and after three attempts, a woman walked to the gentleman at the podium and said "Just call it 'yay.'
I'd post links, but it seems if they are more than a month old they take you to an 'expired page.' It is what it is. Freedom of religion is guarantee to us. Let them pray to whomever they want to.
But I will not have Reader twisting my words in order to 'make a post.'
Your words:
"Example: DC Convention in Charlotte - 2012: Muslims were welcomed into the convention hall for a prayer and welcoming ceremony. Christians were denied entrance by the democrats because they held 'a different view on abortion. "

Seem to need little twisting to make them markedly incorrect. A wide variety of Christian speakers were present with an impressive range of views on abortion, which some of them addressed directly.

Your complaint is now that every religious group that turned up wasn't given access to the DNC? I'm not entirely sure that religious groups get to invite themselves to either of the conventions. As much as the press loves when a slightly batty religious figure appears in politics, I can understand why keeping the list invite only and featuring vetted figures for the official convention would be policy.
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#133
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words:
"Example: DC Convention in Charlotte - 2012: Muslims were welcomed into the convention hall for a prayer and welcoming ceremony. Christians were denied entrance by the democrats because they held 'a different view on abortion. "
Seem to need little twisting to make them markedly incorrect. A wide variety of Christian speakers were present with an impressive range of views on abortion, which some of them addressed directly.
Your complaint is now that every religious group that turned up wasn't given access to the DNC? I'm not entirely sure that religious groups get to invite themselves to either of the conventions. As much as the press loves when a slightly batty religious figure appears in politics, I can understand why keeping the list invite only and featuring vetted figures for the official convention would be policy.
I don't have a complaint except for Reader and her inability to stay away from me. You can search on the internet and find the story pro both sides. The initial ones I read in September said that the Muslims were welcomed in the hall prior to the convention and the Charlotte 714 denied. Even now, no one disputes the Charlotte 714 was denied and the reason for it. Snopes has it as 'partially true.' And they lean left.
What cannot be denied by anyone, as it was in open view and televised, was that the dems took God out of their platform, which is their right, then tried to walk it back with an open vote in the convention hall. That voice vote was not discerable to anyone as to how that vote went. After three tries, a woman came to the podium said "Just call it a 'yay', which the speaker did. So apparently it had already been decided backstage or wherever, and the vote was a farce.
None of this has anything to do with the opening theme of this tread.
Reader just cannot see my name and pass by it without making up some off the wall argument.
Reader: You need not respond. For the 100th time.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#134
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
You can search on the internet and find the story pro both sides. The initial ones I read in September said that the Muslims were welcomed in the hall prior to the convention and the Charlotte 714 denied.
I'm not entirely sure why you're blaming others for your inability to engage in critical readings and do further research. If you've read something wrong and foolish, it does not excuse your believing or repeating it.

I've read stories on the web shouting about chemtrails. If I read, believed and repeated these, I would be an idiot, even if I could point back to the reporting being available on the internet.

As to your rather confusingly abusive interactions with Reader, you seem to be unclear on how internet communication works. Thoughts presented on an open forum are generally understood to be actionable by all members participating. While I've never seen her become abusive, as many on here have, if you find yourself unable to bear her weighing in on your comments, you may want to look into more private forms of communication and debate.
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#135
Dec 7, 2012
 
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not entirely sure why you're blaming others for your inability to engage in critical readings and do further research. If you've read something wrong and foolish, it does not excuse your believing or repeating it.
I've read stories on the web shouting about chemtrails. If I read, believed and repeated these, I would be an idiot, even if I could point back to the reporting being available on the internet.
As to your rather confusingly abusive interactions with Reader, you seem to be unclear on how internet communication works. Thoughts presented on an open forum are generally understood to be actionable by all members participating. While I've never seen her become abusive, as many on here have, if you find yourself unable to bear her weighing in on your comments, you may want to look into more private forms of communication and debate.
Pick and use what you like from my last post, but you ommitted the fact that no one denies that the Charlotte 714 were denied by the dems.

You also ommitted the wording about God being removed, and then hastily reinstated, in the dems platform by voice vote whne there was a public outcry.

As for me abusing Reader, that is for my conscience to absorb with, not yours, so you can sleep tonight. It's topix.

I'm busy.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#136
Dec 7, 2012
 
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick and use what you like from my last post, but you ommitted the fact that no one denies that the Charlotte 714 were denied by the dems.
You also ommitted the wording about God being removed, and then hastily reinstated, in the dems platform by voice vote whne there was a public outcry.
As for me abusing Reader, that is for my conscience to absorb with, not yours, so you can sleep tonight. It's topix.
I'm busy.
In fact, your story, as posted, has been substantially challenged by the Democrats and by the Mayor of Charlotte. See post #131 for the article that I pasted from the Charlotte Observer.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#137
Dec 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
As for me abusing Reader, that is for my conscience to absorb with, not yours, so you can sleep tonight. It's topix.
I'm busy.
I generally don't concern myself about it.

You made a point to direct my attention to it, mewlingly.

If you want her to stop making you look stupid, you need to raise your level of discourse and produce intelligent content.

If you want pity and collective outrage for her making you look stupid, you might be better suited trying to develop a more sympathetic character.
notlocal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#138
Dec 7, 2012
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, your story, as posted, has been substantially challenged by the Democrats and by the Mayor of Charlotte. See post #131 for the article that I pasted from the Charlotte Observer.
Challenged by the dems. Imagine that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Morning Roundup: Sears could close even more st... 29 min NoOneRewarded 1
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 31 min Finally Some inte... 2,272
In Ferguson, Missouri, different kinds of prote... 55 min They cannot kill ... 2
Need help 1 hr Chick 1
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,248
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 231
Columbus man gets 37-year sentence for rape, ot... 2 hr Oliver Canterberry 1
ISIS beheads James Foley 4 hr Buckeye at Birth 91

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••