“The One! The Only! RUKiddingme”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey, Baby!

#62 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a simple formula of weight and miles driven would be a fair basis.
Seriouslady isn't going to like that. Have you seen the size of that broad?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#63 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Electric cars don't pay fuel tax. Neither do most LP powered ones. Also with newer cars being more efficient, less tax is being collected per car at a time when there are more cars (and more wear and tear on the roads).
I had not thought of that, Tony. You're right. It's been a long time since I worked with Fuel/Hwy use taxes. I know every mile and every gallon bought in each state the heavy vehicle entered had to be recorded.

A partial solution, therefore unattainable, would be for the feds to stop giving the 25% discount on all work bids made by minority owned firms and level the playing field for firms owned by white males. The taxpayers would save money and the work, in may cases, would be superior and last longer. BB has experience with this BS.
Real Tea Party

Columbus, OH

#64 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Electric cars don't pay fuel tax. Neither do most LP powered ones. Also with newer cars being more efficient, less tax is being collected per car at a time when there are more cars (and more wear and tear on the roads).
Since the government try to promote electric cars they would probably provide tax credit to electric car owners. It is difficult to determine the usage of highway even with state and federal gas tax it is not a fair formula. There are hybrid SUVs more gas efficient but cause more wear and tear on the roads. I just don't see how to create a "drive more pay more" approach unless we start recording drivers' mileage or make all highways toll. And even that, what about the back roads that nobody use? Should that be left for the locals/state to pave and maintain their own?

I don't want to pay for roads in California if I never go there, same way I wouldn't want a New Yorker to pay for my roads I use.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#65 Mar 23, 2014
Real Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the government try to promote electric cars they would probably provide tax credit to electric car owners.

You're right, so in addition to not paying fuel tax they get a tax credit. That's fair to the wealthy who can afford these vehicles shifting the cost of maintaining the roads to the poorer who cannot.[/sarc]

[QUOTE]It is difficult to determine the usage of highway
No it's not. every vehicle is equipped with an odometer.
even with state and federal gas tax it is not a fair formula. There are hybrid SUVs more gas efficient but cause more wear and tear on the roads. I just don't see how to create a "drive more pay more" approach unless we start recording drivers' mileage

Simply take the mileage down when the person renews their tags. Commercial trucks regularly record their mileage anyway, as that's usually how the drivers get paid.

[QUOTE] or make all highways toll. And even that, what about the back roads that nobody use? Should that be left for the locals/state to pave and maintain their own?

It could be done that way, but it would probably be easier to just throw the money in one big pot (per state) and draw from it according to lane miles or go by traffic counts or something. For the most part the roads that are traveled on the most or are traveled by heavier vehicles wear out faster, so it would work out.

[QUOTE]I don't want to pay for roads in California if I never go there, same way I wouldn't want a New Yorker to pay for my roads I use.
Of course it would be over burdensome for each person to only pay for the roads they traveled, but paying per mileage wouldn't be so bad. Fed doesn't actually take care of roads anyway, they just redistribute money from one state to another. Personally, I don't think the feds should be in it at all, except maybe to set standards. A state should be responsible for that state's roads. Allowing out-of-staters to use your state's roads will be just a trade for the economic activity they do while in your state.

The main point is the alternative fueled and more efficient vehicles are reducing the funding we are currently getting and that is hurting everybody's roads. Simply raising the fuel tax isn't fair to the poorer people who are stuck with the less efficient vehicles, so another way has to be found.

Location hidden

#66 Mar 23, 2014
Real Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the government try to promote electric cars they would probably provide tax credit to electric car owners.
I was my impression that the feds absolutely do give a tax credit for hybrid car purchases. Tony?

Location hidden

#67 Mar 23, 2014
Like everything municipal, there will never be a completely fair system. You always have to take some bad with the good.

Planet Earth

#68 Mar 23, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I was my impression that the feds absolutely do give a tax credit for hybrid car purchases. Tony?
Yes, they do. Which is basically free money to rich people, above and beyond what they're not paying in fuel tax. If these products are going to make it in the market, they should do so on their own merits, not because they're being subsidized by the government! They're basically screwing everybody who doesn't buy one.

Planet Earth

#69 Mar 23, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
Like everything municipal, there will never be a completely fair system. You always have to take some bad with the good.
You're right of course. Life isn't fair. But when government intentionally makes it more unfair, by robbing Peter to pay Paul, there's a problem.

Planet Earth

#70 Mar 23, 2014
You hear all the time how Social Security is running out of money... How come we never hear that Welfare is running out of money?

Location hidden

#71 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
You hear all the time how Social Security is running out of money... How come we never hear that Welfare is running out of money?
Thanks for confirming that tax credit re hybrids.

As for SS running out of money, when 'they' have been dipping into slnce it's inception, v. welfare....you really don't want to get me started, do you?

My father was one of six brothers. ONE lived long enough to collect SS and none left dependents who drew on it.

Planet Earth

#72 Mar 23, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for confirming that tax credit re hybrids.
As for SS running out of money, when 'they' have been dipping into slnce it's inception, v. welfare....you really don't want to get me started, do you?
My father was one of six brothers. ONE lived long enough to collect SS and none left dependents who drew on it.
That was its original design... that most people would die before collecting much, if any benefits, and that most benefits would be used to help dependents of those who (typically) died while working. One only has to look at the life expectancies at the time to see that.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#73 Mar 24, 2014
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriouslady isn't going to like that. Have you seen the size of that broad?
is she 20% of the size Pale Rider or Che is?

Jersey, Baby!

#74 Mar 24, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
is she 20% of the size Pale Rider or Che is?
There you go with your faulty understanding of percentages again.

Try 220%.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#75 Mar 24, 2014
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Try 220%.
and your talking in 100's of tons, and my comparison was singular.

I am not kidding you.

Jersey, Baby!

#76 Mar 24, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
and your talking in 100's of tons, and my comparison was singular.
I am not kidding you.
You are talking gibberish, old man. I do not understand the words that are coming out of your mouth.
Real Tea Party

Columbus, OH

#77 Mar 24, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not. every vehicle is equipped with an odometer.
<quoted text>
Of course it would be over burdensome for each person to only pay for the roads they traveled, but paying per mileage wouldn't be so bad. Fed doesn't actually take care of roads anyway, they just redistribute money from one state to another. Personally, I don't think the feds should be in it at all, except maybe to set standards. A state should be responsible for that state's roads. Allowing out-of-staters to use your state's roads will be just a trade for the economic activity they do while in your state.
The main point is the alternative fueled and more efficient vehicles are reducing the funding we are currently getting and that is hurting everybody's roads. Simply raising the fuel tax isn't fair to the poorer people who are stuck with the less efficient vehicles, so another way has to be found.
I'm okay with state responsible for their roads and out-of-state drivers should pay more, similar to tuition at state universities when in-state tuition should be lower than out-of-state. Set up toll booth at state lines. I know it's more hassels but fair is fair.
yeah baby yeah

Columbus, OH

#78 Mar 24, 2014
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Try 220%.
Hey, didja catch the European press' pictures of the two obama apes?
http://www.mediaite.com/online/newspaper-apol...

Their apology is as authentic as your GPA in Dumbshit Ghetto PS #2

Jersey, Baby!

#79 Mar 24, 2014
yeah baby yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, didja catch the European press' pictures of the two obama apes?
http://www.mediaite.com/online/newspaper-apol...
Their apology is as authentic as your GPA in Dumbshit Ghetto PS #2
A George by any other name, is still a school board-fearing, sniveling little nancyboy.
yeah baby yeah

Columbus, OH

#80 Mar 24, 2014
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
A George by any other name, is still a school board-fearing, sniveling little nancyboy.
That's the best you got, sh^tstain? Sheeeyit, tell your wife to swallow the johns' jizz at .75 cents a mouthful, you scumbag pimp.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#81 Mar 25, 2014
RU_Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking gibberish, old man. I do not understand the words that are coming out of your mouth.
you have had that problem since birth.

English escapes you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacob Ferrero 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Southwest Columbus Haunted House Owner Spooked ... 2 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 4 hr Ghost of Walter D... 82
President Ebola 7 hr Catman Dave 684
Good morning BizzyBee and friends 7 hr Catman Dave 41
Breaking: Second Nurse w/ Ebola flies with 99.5... 8 hr Black Rhino 120
Federal Tax Revenue Tops 3Trillion 8 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs