“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#102 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Minimize govenment.
OK--break that down.

What would you get rid of, and how would it address the problem of a widening earnings gap between the top and bottom?

Location hidden

#103 Feb 16, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Back to Tony's response. The middle class always had, always will, provided the bulk of the federal government's income. Simply because of the sheer numbers. You aren't going to collect a hell of a lot more by taxing the uber wealthy more.
Solutions? How about actually auditing your beloved federal programs to expose waste and then cutting the waste? How about some belt-tightening and not doing things like Obama's day care? Hell, I raised kids, did day care w/o federal assistance, and yes, it consumed a good chunk of my income. I lived to tell, and I actually ate and made the house payment on time. It's called being a rational person and making rational decisions without depending on hand outs.
I have been hearing promises to cut waste just about my whole life. Starts to sound more and more like a vague promise with nothing behind it.

But--how is this responsive to the widening income gap between earners at the top and the bottom?

Location hidden

#104 Feb 16, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>After three years you know what I mean.
I know you've been dodging for three years.

Location hidden

#105 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Audit needed, absolutely. How many federal employees have we added the past 5 years?
Back to the middle class, I agree, so what about a far out idea like, say, create 12 million well paying, middle class jobs rather quickly by opening the Keystone Pipeline and making Canada and the US energy independent through drilling and fracking and requiring 5 new refineries to be built?
Or we could invest in more solar energy. And buy the solar panels from China for the construction of federal buildings.
Think there might be some long-term ramifications to think through?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#106 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Audit needed, absolutely. How many federal employees have we added the past 5 years?
Back to the middle class, I agree, so what about a far out idea like, say, create 12 million well paying, middle class jobs rather quickly by opening the Keystone Pipeline and making Canada and the US energy independent through drilling and fracking and requiring 5 new refineries to be built?
Or we could invest in more solar energy. And buy the solar panels from China for the construction of federal buildings.
IRS has been adding new employees by the droves. How do I know this? Let's say I see job openings for IT folks. Many are for the IRS. Tell you anything? Especially preparing for the new health care laws? No thanks. I won't be heading that way.

Solar? Do you know how many solar panels it would take to power federal buildings? And how many more it would take to maintain, repair, and replace them? Solar power is good for specific applications, but will never be a major source of power. Sadly, people like pipedreams.

Keystone Pipeline makes sense, it's a rational approach. We're a nation of irrational people quite often.

The fact will always remain that the middle class, population-wise, will always be the largest class of tax payers. What Reader refuses to acknowledge is that they need to be kept productive in order to provide the bulk of income. Go ahead, tax Warren Buffet as much as he can stand. It still won't provide the income necessary to keep government running and it won't enable more spending or more social programs. It's just a feel-good attempt. You can continue to try to raise the middle class taxes too, to bail out or create more social welfare programs. In all, it's just money going to the bottom, not investments in infrastructure, education, or jobs, just hand outs that don't provide a base for new income. That's the problem in my view. No one looks at having the federal government be accountable for its expenditures and ensuring that what it spends is a true investment--too few look at it from a business perspective.

Trickle-down is right when you look at it from that angle. Sort of like how when your roof leaks, the water trickles down to the foundation. Leave it long enough and the foundation cracks.

Location hidden

#107 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
We have federal employees already tracking such things as the number of employees on a regular basis. Here's a quick article. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washingto...

But, recall that massive government layoffs are likely to raise the number unemployed. This has already been the case at many other levels of government, depending on the locale.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#108 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Think there might be some long-term ramifications to think through?
No. We know how to do it safely and the EPA is drunk with power.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#109 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been hearing promises to cut waste just about my whole life. Starts to sound more and more like a vague promise with nothing behind it.
But--how is this responsive to the widening income gap between earners at the top and the bottom?
Your attempt at diversion is failing, Reader.

Diverting away from the issue at hand: that we have a huge deficit, a serious issue with sequestration right now, and a bottom class that doesn't seem as if it wants to do much to improve its lot in life.

The bottom class has always existed. Let them be. The widening income gap has two dimensions, not just one. The rich get richer because they know how to handle and manage their money. The poor often get poorer because they don't. Those who climb out of the bottom, do so not based on social welfare programs for the most part. They do so by applying themselves.

So, I'll twist your question back at you: what should be done to stimulate the economy and invest such a way that the government has a balanced budget, that we can agree on what is necessary, that we can stop focusing on the bullsh!t discussions about the haves and the have nots and focus more on how to create new jobs, create new companies, and lessen entitlement programs?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#110 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
All one big happy family in which some are guaranteed wealth for generations and others cannot make it from paycheck to paycheck without owing the entire check back to the one who is, in fact, their employer.
Forgive me my skepticism about the benevolent papa handing out ten-spots from the good of his heart.
Have you experience here? No, I didn't think so. The horse racing community is different. I've known people who were well taken care of who had nowhere else to go, and it's far different than, for instance, the miners in WV. And yes, the owners DID care and without them I don't know where some of those folks might have landed.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#111 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I just skip his comments and consider the source.
No you don't.

Location hidden

#112 Feb 16, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
IRS has been adding new employees by the droves. How do I know this? Let's say I see job openings for IT folks. Many are for the IRS...
Interesting. The article that I posted suggested that the IRS has been one area that has been shrinking, due to several years of flat funding.

Apparently you have fallen for some of the hysteria that a gazillion new IRS workers were going to be required to administer Obamacare.

I did put some time into tracking that one down. No such provision with regard to funding or special legal provisions.

I don't doubt that you have seen postings, however.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#113 Feb 16, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
IRS has been adding new employees by the droves. How do I know this? Let's say I see job openings for IT folks. Many are for the IRS. Tell you anything? Especially preparing for the new health care laws? No thanks. I won't be heading that way.
Solar? Do you know how many solar panels it would take to power federal buildings? And how many more it would take to maintain, repair, and replace them? Solar power is good for specific applications, but will never be a major source of power. Sadly, people like pipedreams.
Keystone Pipeline makes sense, it's a rational approach. We're a nation of irrational people quite often.
The fact will always remain that the middle class, population-wise, will always be the largest class of tax payers. What Reader refuses to acknowledge is that they need to be kept productive in order to provide the bulk of income. Go ahead, tax Warren Buffet as much as he can stand. It still won't provide the income necessary to keep government running and it won't enable more spending or more social programs. It's just a feel-good attempt. You can continue to try to raise the middle class taxes too, to bail out or create more social welfare programs. In all, it's just money going to the bottom, not investments in infrastructure, education, or jobs, just hand outs that don't provide a base for new income. That's the problem in my view. No one looks at having the federal government be accountable for its expenditures and ensuring that what it spends is a true investment--too few look at it from a business perspective.
Trickle-down is right when you look at it from that angle. Sort of like how when your roof leaks, the water trickles down to the foundation. Leave it long enough and the foundation cracks.
I was being a wise a$$ about the solar energy, given how many have failed with our stimulus money. And my neighbors solar panels blow apart and break every strong storm.

There was a federal building built and solar panels were delivered 'made in China.' When the contractor called it to the attention of the fed inspector, because using stimulus money on foreign material was illegal, he was told to install them or they'd get someone else.

Now, let me try and remember who the building was named after and where it was built.

You're absolutely right. Imagine how many jobs are created upwards when a construcion worker puts a shovel in the ground. Trickle down has never worked. Jobs are created upwards.

Social programs are a drag on the economy, but they control the masses.

Location hidden

#114 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
No. We know how to do it safely and the EPA is drunk with power.
Ah. What was that thing that happened down in the Gulf a few years back?

Location hidden

#115 Feb 16, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Your attempt at diversion is failing, Reader.
Diverting away from the issue at hand: that we have a huge deficit, a serious issue with sequestration right now, and a bottom class that doesn't seem as if it wants to do much to improve its lot in life.
The bottom class has always existed. Let them be. The widening income gap has two dimensions, not just one. The rich get richer because they know how to handle and manage their money. The poor often get poorer because they don't. Those who climb out of the bottom, do so not based on social welfare programs for the most part. They do so by applying themselves.
So, I'll twist your question back at you: what should be done to stimulate the economy and invest such a way that the government has a balanced budget, that we can agree on what is necessary, that we can stop focusing on the bullsh!t discussions about the haves and the have nots and focus more on how to create new jobs, create new companies, and lessen entitlement programs?
So, in your opinion, decades of tax cuts disproportionately benefiting the wealthy have had no impact. But the rich have somehow just gotten wiser and more industrious while the poor grew stupider and lazier.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#116 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
We have federal employees already tracking such things as the number of employees on a regular basis. Here's a quick article.
But, recall that massive government layoffs are likely to raise the number unemployed. This has already been the case at many other levels of government, depending on the locale.
Not quite true. The IRS ramped up massively in 2012 in preparation for the health care laws. Most were contract jobs:

http://www.infowars.com/thousands-of-new-irs-...

I know this personally. I had several recruiters contact me. I had no desire.

I'll bet the decrease stated in your article was due to attrition. The IRS almost never does any massive layoffs or firings. You really have to be stupid to lose a job with the IRS. If you read that article very carefully, skimmer, you'd have noticed this sentence:

"The IRS attributes the decline to a flat budget and a hiring freeze."

And did you happen to read this sentence:

"However, the shrinking agencies, including the IRS, still have more employees than before the hiring boom."

That just means simply they didn't hire new bodies and was summed up at the end:

"Federal employment trims are done without layoffs. When workers quit or retire, the government hires fewer replacements."

That is where folks like myself come in. Contractors. Mean anything?

Somewhat obvious you're not comprehending what you're reading. The federal government may or may not lose employees, but they're definitely not necessarily affecting employment, at least not yet. Depends on how sequestration plays out. And sequestration isn't the answer. The government actually looking at its programs and its expenditures and finding redundancies, fraud, and waste will do it.

If sequestration does go through, it *may*(meaning, it has the potential) of increasing unemployment in specific areas (like areas around Dayton that rely on a highly technical contract workforce at WPAFB). Most of us will likely weather the storm pretty well, can be absorbed back into the private sector pretty well.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#117 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you've been dodging for three years.
Dodging what? Lumping you in with your fellow travelers? When have I ever shied away from that.
I just find it amusing that it offends you. Your comrades would be preparing the reeducation courses for you if they knew, da?

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#118 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah. What was that thing that happened down in the Gulf a few years back?
An overblown scam from this administration. "Never let a crisis go to waste."

Location hidden

#119 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I was being a wise a$$ about the solar energy, given how many have failed with our stimulus money. And my neighbors solar panels blow apart and break every strong storm.
There was a federal building built and solar panels were delivered 'made in China.' When the contractor called it to the attention of the fed inspector, because using stimulus money on foreign material was illegal, he was told to install them or they'd get someone else.
Now, let me try and remember who the building was named after and where it was built.
You're absolutely right. Imagine how many jobs are created upwards when a construcion worker puts a shovel in the ground. Trickle down has never worked. Jobs are created upwards.
Social programs are a drag on the economy, but they control the masses.
Social programs like education and health care?

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#120 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. The article that I posted suggested that the IRS has been one area that has been shrinking, due to several years of flat funding.
Apparently you have fallen for some of the hysteria that a gazillion new IRS workers were going to be required to administer Obamacare.
I did put some time into tracking that one down. No such provision with regard to funding or special legal provisions.
I don't doubt that you have seen postings, however.
No, it's obvious you don't have an appreciation for the subtle and read what you wish and then take it as God's truth.

I'm in the business, remember? I do have a bit of industry insider knowledge. And you? And by the way, one of my job requirements is that of being able to analyze complex requirements. I "get it" very easily. Please stop it with the twisting and playing ends against the middle, going for the easy hits like "gazillions" of works. Truth is, the IRS did ramp up and you haven't analyzed the article you posted well at all--and federal government employment has not decreased.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#121 Feb 16, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Social programs like education and health care?
"Midnight basketball," "universal pre-school," Affirmative Action...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 21 min Seriously 548
Time to save our nation 23 min Reality Speaks 18
SORRY Now I voted for trump. 26 min Reality Speaks 19
Republican Lunacy 54 min Mimzy 10
Dracula⚰️⚰️ 1 hr Mimzy 1
News Should students learn cursive? Some states say yes (Nov '13) 1 hr Mimzy 131
Are Jobs More Important Than Our Environment? 3 hr d pants 154
Anyone seen Sidekick or Tip 9 hr They cannot kill ... 78
America Held Hostage Day 125 10 hr Reality Speaks 31
America Held Hostage Day 123 18 hr Reality Speaks 102

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages