Wait what

Galion, OH

#787 Feb 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, if you would have had that little extra ambition, you could have participated in as many extracurriculars as you wanted. No excuses. You shouldn't have been so lazy.
I was posting to point out that you needn't been concerned with the 19%. It IS possible to be underprivileged and grow up to have a nice life. And by the way - I never once said that those who didn't participate in extracurriculars were lazy. Instead of accepting my (differing) point of view for consideration, you simply used it to make a slam. You, like Reader, want to make the Topix playground read the way you want it to read, not the way real life happens. If the 19% think like you two - I'm a victim, cry me a river - no wonder you're concerned!

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#788 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Having worked with both low-income and more affluent kids, across races, I found it to be far easier to broaden the horizons of low-income kids than others. Far less resistence.
More affluent kids, and their parents, were far more fearful of what lay beyond their boundaries.
That certainly explains those affluent kids who serve in the Peace Corps, the military or go into fields like social work..../sarc

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#789 Feb 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TCV7ILHVE...
The basis of CRT now being foisted upon America's college students, as above, and upon government workers, via sensitivity training programs.
Sorry, tip.

Not directly on point.

The claim was that you had posted an excellent critique of Critical Race Theory.

I'm afraid that neither you, nor the author of that article has much understanding of Critical Race Theory.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#790 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it is somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 above the median for Columbus.
Nope, just looked at a HUD release.

Location hidden

#791 Feb 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TCV7ILHVE...
The basis of CRT now being foisted upon America's college students, as above, and upon government workers, via sensitivity training programs.
BTW--"sensitivity training," in my experience, also has little to do with CRT.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#792 Feb 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, if you would have had that little extra ambition, you could have participated in as many extracurriculars as you wanted. No excuses. You shouldn't have been so lazy.
She wisely prioritized.
Life is full of choices.
Choices render natural consequences.

Some parents cannot sacrifice more for their children, and some choose not to sacrifice at all.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#793 Feb 22, 2013
And that included the recession, by the way.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#794 Feb 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
She wisely prioritized.
Life is full of choices.
Choices render natural consequences.
Some parents cannot sacrifice more for their children, and some choose not to sacrifice at all.
I did what I had to do, and I survived. It is one thing to reach out and help a hungry person who has fallen on hard times - pay it forward or pay it back, whichever applies. But honestly, the hand wringing for those who can help themselves is too much for me to bear sometimes!
Wait what

Galion, OH

#795 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, tip.
Not directly on point.
The claim was that you had posted an excellent critique of Critical Race Theory.
I'm afraid that neither you, nor the author of that article has much understanding of Critical Race Theory.
After your mistakes on this thread alone, why in the world would you think anyone believes what YOU understand? Clearly, your understanding is off.

Location hidden

#796 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, tip.
Not directly on point.
I'm never sure if you're feigning ignorance or really just very stupid.

Based on your Topix history, CRT forms the foundation of all of your thought processes. It holds that racism [i.e., white privilege] is endemic to American life and that government-mandated wealth redistribution is the only means of "liberating" non-whites from their constant "oppression."

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#797 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Finished the remaining three years on Dad's GI benefits?
Not. One. Penny. Contrary to popular belief, veterans who have been separated from the service and aren't disabled due to their service aren't all entitled to have their families receive benefits for education. Our family income was too high.
You see Reader, the world isn't always what YOU think it is.
BTW, what part of this did you choose to ignore? "I borrowed money to go to college while working jobs like roofing in the summer."
Every bit of it, naturally.
My father also had plenty of life insurance, purchased on his own dime. So hear this, lady: The only time I've ever seen a check that said "United States Treasury" was when I received an income tax refund before electronic transactions became the norm.

Location hidden

#798 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW--"sensitivity training," in my experience, also has little to do with CRT.
When the sensitivity training includes employees being led to chant the phrase, "If we work for a federal agency, we’ve discriminated against African-Americans in the past..." then it has EVERYTHING to do with CRT.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#799 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Fast research.
My pleasure, ma'am. No way will I let human debris like Che disparage the character of anyone here who has always shown that they're a straight shooter and good soul.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#800 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
WW, the reality of most folks who go around singing "I did it my way" is that they are simply overlooking all of the many supports that were available to them all along the way.
There is no shame in receiving survivor's benefits, particularly those that enable one to go to college.
Even the simple failure to recognize that selling candy to one's neighbors is very different when one's neighbors have disposable income vs when one's neighbors are continually in a state of robbing Peter to pay Paul; or that used equipment pools are only possible when there are already a number of families engaged in a sport speaks to a denial that very few are able to make it in this world on grit and determination alone--however much those qualities are helpful to one.
You, as an example, claim to know both sides of the coin, but cannot acknowledge that some folks have far more in the way of support than others, and that this makes a difference in their lives.
The POINT was that you used the death of a parent as an opportunity to slam someone, and it was low blow. Moreover, you were given far more as the daughter of a physician than I ever could have dreamed. So what? At the end of the day, so freaking what? You got things growing up that I didn't. Oh, boohoo, poor me, I couldn't POSSIBLY succeed. Sarcasm off.

One thing I won't do is waste a whole lot of time worrying about who has what. If that's your choice, so be it - but it's not mine.

Location hidden

#801 Feb 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Well, these stats are an even bigger "hoot":
http://tinyurl.com/3a7u7dn
"In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year"
Tonight's stunning financial piece de resistance comes from Wyatt Emerich of The Cleveland Current. In what is sure to inspire some serious ire among all those who once believed Ronald Reagan that it was the USSR that was the "Evil Empire", Emmerich analyzes disposable income and economic benefits among several key income classes and comes to the stunning (and verifiable) conclusion that "a one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimum wage) has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year." And that excludes benefits from Supplemental Security Income disability checks. America is now a country which punishes those middle-class people who not only try to work hard, but avoid scamming the system. Not surprisingly, it is not only the richest and most audacious thieves that prosper - it is also the penny scammers at the very bottom of the economic ladder that rip off the middle class each and every day, courtesy of the world's most generous entitlement system. Perhaps if Reagan were alive today, he would wish to modify the object of his once legendary remark.
From Emmerich:
You can do as well working one week a month at minimum wage as you can working $60,000-a-year, full-time, high-stress job.
My chart tells the story. It is pretty much self-explanatory.
[see chart]
There are some stunning assumptions and omissions.

First off is the assumption of rental assistance. This is not an entitlement, it is a capped program. Some receive it, some do not and there are long waiting lists.

Ditto the assumption of childcare subsidy. In Ohio this is particularly scarce--and depending on the age of one's children may not at all make a dent in what they are calling "disposable income."

And finally there is Medicaid/S-Chip which is listed as 16,000 per year benefit at the lowest level (which is not at all the equivalent of "disposable income,") but there is no similar benefit listed for the family with the $60,000 income--which is more than likely not the case.

But things like that never seem to matter to the folks who spend their days living in envy of the poor.

Location hidden

#802 Feb 22, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#803 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting definition of low-income:
The new study asked parents of teenagers, both in middle and high school, nationwide about participation and the price tag on playing a sport at their schools.
It found 61 percent of children were charged a pay-to-play fee. The average fee, according to the poll, was $93, while 21 percent of respondents paid $150 or more.
Combined with equipment, uniforms and additional team fees, the study showed the average total cost for a child’s participation in sports is $381.
Nineteen percent of families in the study that earned less than $60,000 per year reported the cost of sports led to at least one of their children not participating.
Among households earning more than $60,000 per year, just five percent of parents said cost had a negative impact on their child’s participation, the study showed.
Try being a working single mother with two kids in Boston, New York or Silicon Valley on $60k a year.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#804 Feb 22, 2013
And anticipating your next response, I see too much disposable income flying out the door - for hair, nails, personalized license plates, clothing, smartphone plans, meals, new cars on the freeway, trips to Disney, elaborate weddings and children's birthdays, etc., to buy the 1% myth. It's old, and it's tiresome.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#805 Feb 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a hoot. You suggesting someone deserves an apology.
Since that "study" considered families making $60,000/year "low income," my point about you guys coming down from Bullshit Mountain is made.
You've never been outside of Ohio, have you? Take a look at what $60k does for a family of three in Boston, NYC and the Bay Area. It's survival. That's it. A clean three bedroom apartment in a so-so suburb 15-20 miles from Boston is $1300 a month. Minimum.
You are absolutely clueless.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#806 Feb 22, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm never sure if you're feigning ignorance or really just very stupid.
Based on your Topix history, CRT forms the foundation of all of your thought processes. It holds that racism [i.e., white privilege] is endemic to American life and that government-mandated wealth redistribution is the only means of "liberating" non-whites from their constant "oppression."
Our little skimmer would never feign ignorance...well, at least unless it was a convenient dodge....lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio State Buckeyes could lose to the UNLV Rebels 13 min Local 2
Why Obama Really Spied on Trump 3 hr 404 not found 29
UTrashy & Spook 3 hr UTrashy 52
President Trump:We love the (DACA)Dreamers. We ... 4 hr Duke for Mayor 547
NH White Supremacists teens lynch 8 Yr. old bo... 5 hr Terry 4
Hillary Rodham Clinton's book 7 hr Duke for Mayor 5
Rocket Man 7 hr Duke for Mayor 6

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance