Comments
761 - 780 of 1,026 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2013

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#767 Feb 22, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it that only conservatives and whites have to "come down from the mountain"? Why don't leftists and minorities? Why aren't ghetto blacks scolded to learn that "there's a big world out there"?
And spare me about fees and costs. I've watched kids in my own district sell candy bars and magazines to raise money for hockey with a big chunk of it going to pay for an equipment bank that we ran out of a neighbor's garage. These things can be and are done by decent, responsible parents (and there were single moms just as involved as any fathers and couples.) YOU and your kind are the ones living in your own bubble who are either too afraid, too closed-minded or too stupid to step outside and see that life isn't always what you think it is.
Where have you lived in your life, Che? Inner city? Suburbs? Rural areas? I've done all three. Ever lived in another country? I have. Ever worked manual labor before settling into a professional career? I have.
If anyone is perched high on a mountain of bullsh!t, it's sanctimonious tools like you.
Having worked with both low-income and more affluent kids, across races, I found it to be far easier to broaden the horizons of low-income kids than others. Far less resistence.

More affluent kids, and their parents, were far more fearful of what lay beyond their boundaries.

Location hidden

#768 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
No, sorry. Clearly, the evidence shows you have me confused with a registered poster, "Stop the 3C Now":
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/sugar-grove-o...
And I don't appear here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/worthington-o...
Nor here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/industria...
Nor here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TC1V2V3B8...
Nope, not here either:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/worthington-o...
Hmmm....no WW here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/industria...
OK, my mistake.

And the mystery of what I have ever done to you remains unresolved.

Location hidden

#769 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Reader, you need to lay off because you are flat out lying or simply delusional. You are now officially making things up. Not that it's any of your business, but I have donated to the Home through a Methodist church in previous years so you couldn't be more wrong. The venom and hurt feelings simply aren't there, except in your own mind. You owe me an apology - a big one.
OK--Sorry.

So, why were you throwing UM Children's Home into the discussion?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#770 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And which minorities would those be?
The ones you make stupid jokes about, maybe?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#771 Feb 22, 2013
<quoted text>Wait What deserves your apology. Right now.
Pay-to-play fees sideline kids in 19 percent of low-income families
http://www.annarbor.com/news/pay-to-play-fees...
Thank you! Fast research.

Location hidden

#772 Feb 22, 2013
<quoted text>You act as if I were a Kennedy or a Rockefeller. Both my parents worked, and I borrowed money to go to college while working jobs like roofing in the summer. My father died at the end of my freshman year of college. I did what responsible middle class, properly raised kids do...played by the rules, worked to achieve and didn't whine that the whole world was out to get me.
You are clueless.
Finished the remaining three years on Dad's GI benefits?
Adif understanding

United States

#773 Feb 22, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Tip provided an excellent analysis of Critical Race Theory on this forum but you didn't listen then and you won't listen now to me.
100% of Black churches are influenced by this nonsense, just look at the sexual behavior of Blacks, zero marriages, zero sexual self control.
I'm not sure you can blame that entirely on Black Churches. It's more about greed where black leaders found the welfare benefits is much greater if a mother is single. They pushed this as a sort of quasi reparations payment which put us in this entire disproportionate fatherless families situation. This led to children growing up not knowing what a family is which they happily continue in the same examples.

I do not know when they started calling it critical race theory but it started becoming a well observed situation about 10 years after the democrats attempted to help the blacks by herding them into special project areas of large cities (out of site-out of mind) away from everything white people normally enjoy. Gotta love the hidden racism in the civil rights legislature and the self destructive nature of greed.

Location hidden

#774 Feb 22, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
It's what she does. Twists as much as she can, lies about what you have said and inserts her 'doubts.' I think, personally she is delusional. Whatever it is, I cannot get her to skip my posts with her lies and venom.
You won't get an apology. You'll get her lap dog, Che backing her up.
Back to work...
Hmmm. I don't think badmouthing me is likely to get me to ignore you.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#775 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Finished the remaining three years on Dad's GI benefits?
OMG, what is wrong with you? You dare to play the victim and then taunt others over the death of a parent?

Location hidden

#776 Feb 22, 2013
Interesting definition of low-income:

The new study asked parents of teenagers, both in middle and high school, nationwide about participation and the price tag on playing a sport at their schools.

It found 61 percent of children were charged a pay-to-play fee. The average fee, according to the poll, was $93, while 21 percent of respondents paid $150 or more.

Combined with equipment, uniforms and additional team fees, the study showed the average total cost for a child’s participation in sports is $381.

Nineteen percent of families in the study that earned less than $60,000 per year reported the cost of sports led to at least one of their children not participating.

Among households earning more than $60,000 per year, just five percent of parents said cost had a negative impact on their child’s participation, the study showed.

Location hidden

#777 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And which minorities would those be?
And your example of raising my nose to successful native Americans would be?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#778 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting definition of low-income:
The new study asked parents of teenagers, both in middle and high school, nationwide about participation and the price tag on playing a sport at their schools.
It found 61 percent of children were charged a pay-to-play fee. The average fee, according to the poll, was $93, while 21 percent of respondents paid $150 or more.
Combined with equipment, uniforms and additional team fees, the study showed the average total cost for a child’s participation in sports is $381.
Nineteen percent of families in the study that earned less than $60,000 per year reported the cost of sports led to at least one of their children not participating.
Among households earning more than $60,000 per year, just five percent of parents said cost had a negative impact on their child’s participation, the study showed.
$60,000 is lower than the median for Columbus, anyway. It also qualifies you for subsidies under the health exchanges, should you accept a plan with lower coverages.

And thanks for posting more of the article. I was wrong - I said $383. While $2 isn't much of a difference, it's why I normally don't work from memory. Not only might you get figures wrong, but you also might incorrectly and rudely accuse other posters of doing something that they never would do. KWIM?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#779 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And your example of raising my nose to successful native Americans would be?
I had to do your backtracking for you on the Children's Home accusation. I have a meeting and don't have enough time to backtrack again.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#780 Feb 22, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
...And frankly I don't recall tip presenting an "excellent analysis" of CRT on here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TCV7ILHVE...

The basis of CRT now being foisted upon America's college students, as above, and upon government workers, via sensitivity training programs.
Che Reagan Christ

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#781 Feb 22, 2013
That's a hoot. You suggesting someone deserves an apology.

Since that "study" considered families making $60,000/year "low income," my point about you guys coming down from Bullshit Mountain is made.
Che Reagan Christ

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#782 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in poverty and all though graduating from high school never could participate in one single extracurricular activity - partly because there was no money, and partly because I worked a lot to pay for my basic needs (and I do mean basic, like shampoo). I survived, and I've had an interesting life - one with many ups and downs. And honestly, without the downs I might not have been able to survive when the going got rough. I had been through it before, I could do it again.
Here's the "BS" study:
You know, if you would have had that little extra ambition, you could have participated in as many extracurriculars as you wanted. No excuses. You shouldn't have been so lazy.

Location hidden

#783 Feb 22, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure you can blame that entirely on Black Churches. It's more about greed where black leaders found the welfare benefits is much greater if a mother is single. They pushed this as a sort of quasi reparations payment which put us in this entire disproportionate fatherless families situation. This led to children growing up not knowing what a family is which they happily continue in the same examples.
I do not know when they started calling it critical race theory but it started becoming a well observed situation about 10 years after the democrats attempted to help the blacks by herding them into special project areas of large cities (out of site-out of mind) away from everything white people normally enjoy. Gotta love the hidden racism in the civil rights legislature and the self destructive nature of greed.
Your theory doesn't match the facts. Years ago welfare policy actively drove fathers from homes if they were not able to provide an income. Welfare policy required cutting payments off if there was an adult male in the household--unless that person was disabled. And many males were loath to be unofficially present as a drain on their former spouse/girlfriend/mother of their children.

However, it has been long years since that was changed to allow two-parent families to receive benefits as needed. And since benefits are linked to family size your notion of being better off economically without a father present don't add up. Neither, btw, do the charges that having more babies is an economic benefit. With more children the real benefit per person declines.

The reality about what seems to keep men married and involved in their children's lives, regardless of race, is jobs and income.

Public housing policy has also changed considerably since the huge warehousing of the poor projects were built. However, I cannot honestly say that attempts (through Section 8 vouchers) to de-ghettoize public housing have met with a lot of public support. Seems a good slice of the public prefer keeping poor folks corralled in other places.

Location hidden

#784 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, what is wrong with you? You dare to play the victim and then taunt others over the death of a parent?
WW, the reality of most folks who go around singing "I did it my way" is that they are simply overlooking all of the many supports that were available to them all along the way.

There is no shame in receiving survivor's benefits, particularly those that enable one to go to college.

Even the simple failure to recognize that selling candy to one's neighbors is very different when one's neighbors have disposable income vs when one's neighbors are continually in a state of robbing Peter to pay Paul; or that used equipment pools are only possible when there are already a number of families engaged in a sport speaks to a denial that very few are able to make it in this world on grit and determination alone--however much those qualities are helpful to one.

You, as an example, claim to know both sides of the coin, but cannot acknowledge that some folks have far more in the way of support than others, and that this makes a difference in their lives.

Location hidden

#785 Feb 22, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
$60,000 is lower than the median for Columbus, anyway. It also qualifies you for subsidies under the health exchanges, should you accept a plan with lower coverages.
And thanks for posting more of the article. I was wrong - I said $383. While $2 isn't much of a difference, it's why I normally don't work from memory. Not only might you get figures wrong, but you also might incorrectly and rudely accuse other posters of doing something that they never would do. KWIM?
I believe it is somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 above the median for Columbus.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#786 Feb 22, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a hoot. You suggesting someone deserves an apology.
Since that "study" considered families making $60,000/year "low income," my point about you guys coming down from Bullshit Mountain is made.
Really? Well, these stats are an even bigger "hoot":

http://tinyurl.com/3a7u7dn

"In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year"

Tonight's stunning financial piece de resistance comes from Wyatt Emerich of The Cleveland Current. In what is sure to inspire some serious ire among all those who once believed Ronald Reagan that it was the USSR that was the "Evil Empire", Emmerich analyzes disposable income and economic benefits among several key income classes and comes to the stunning (and verifiable) conclusion that "a one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimum wage) has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year." And that excludes benefits from Supplemental Security Income disability checks. America is now a country which punishes those middle-class people who not only try to work hard, but avoid scamming the system. Not surprisingly, it is not only the richest and most audacious thieves that prosper - it is also the penny scammers at the very bottom of the economic ladder that rip off the middle class each and every day, courtesy of the world's most generous entitlement system. Perhaps if Reagan were alive today, he would wish to modify the object of his once legendary remark.

From Emmerich:

You can do as well working one week a month at minimum wage as you can working $60,000-a-year, full-time, high-stress job.

My chart tells the story. It is pretty much self-explanatory.

[see chart]

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gutfeld: obama climate change proposal 'nuttier... 1 hr Duke for Mayor 2
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,474
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Neutral Party 3,208
Where are all the original legacy posters? 2 hr Duke for Mayor 101
Orange barrels, gas price hike await Labor Day ... 2 hr WALK NOT DRIVE 1
Feds say Pakistan unlikely to return fugitive O... 2 hr NAIVE JUDGE 2
Was Bergdahl Planned ALL ALONG?? 5 hr gibdig 16
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 16 hr Disgraced 2,282
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info