|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Good sample post for SeriousLady:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/pataskala-oh/...
So sorry I missed that, Bobby! There was a smiliar one going on the Elkton MD one a few years ago about a similar type 'lady' who ended up murdered and tossed on the side of the road, probably by one of her customers, leaving behind three kids with different last names and a grieving 'fiancee' in Maryland Correctional Center - Cumberland.

You're frank. At least I never wonder what you're saying behind my back. I appreciate that in a person.(Don't get carried away.:-))

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Stand up comedy? When was the last time you laughed at something a comedian said? The thread was much better than most comedians. I know that isn't saying much.
I was referring to its potential ability to corrode the soul, since Dukie is so worried about my salvation. It was funnier than it was foul and it did exceed the funniness quotient of anything that passes for stand-up in this century.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is no Church of Reproductive Choice--at least not referenced by me. There is a group, supported by a number of Protestant denominations called the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice. It is supported by your own denomination (United Methodist), something you tried to deny by claiming that the United Methodist Church was just a splinter group of Real Mehtodism (yes--I just made that name up) formed by two ministers in the mid 1960s.
Most of the denominations are supportive because they recognize the complexity of the choice issue as well as being supportive of comprehensive sorts of reproductive health--and life after birth.
That abortion stance is not supported by any methodist church that is a member of the conference.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, different types of mentally challenged children and adults attend the same schools. Many hold full time jobs.
As for your contention that all in my life is, and has been, imaginary, I cannot stem the brutal jealousy you harbor against me, someone you have not, nor will ever meet.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I was referring to its potential ability to corrode the soul, since Dukie is so worried about my salvation. It was funnier than it was foul and it did exceed the funniness quotient of anything that passes for stand-up in this century.
I'd love to get a priest's opinion on that one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
That abortion stance is not supported by any methodist church that is a member of the conference.
Ah, you have polled them all then?

Which conference would that be?
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You're frank. At least I never wonder what you're saying behind my back. I appreciate that in a person.(Don't get carried away.:-))
Hey maybe you and I can spend that insurance money together.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

<quoted text>I was referring to its potential ability to corrode the soul, since Dukie is so worried about my salvation. It was funnier than it was foul and it did exceed the funniness quotient of anything that passes for stand-up in this century.
It's a shame there is so little to laugh at, or that you even can laugh at these days. Not because the subject matter isn't there, but because the PC police has castrated everybody so they won't say anything about it.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually did some work for a Methodist Church. The Methodist Church was originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church, and it was formed in reaction to what some people felt was too much liberalism creeping into the Anglican (Episcopal) Church. The Methodist Episcopal Church members mostly have Anglo roots. It took on the name "United Methodist Church" when the Methodist Episcopal Church merged with the United Church of Christ in 1969-ish, which had virtually similar doctrines, but more of a German Heritage.

Bottom line is that SL is correct that the Methodist Church is traditionally supposed to be a conservative institution and not a liberal one.

*** Interesting side note: The African Methodist Episcopal church was also originally part of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
So sorry I missed that, Bobby! There was a smiliar one going on the Elkton MD one a few years ago about a similar type 'lady' who ended up murdered and tossed on the side of the road, probably by one of her customers, leaving behind three kids with different last names and a grieving 'fiancee' in Maryland Correctional Center - Cumberland.
At least back in the old days people had shame. These sad-sacks need to be told what they're doing is not good, and need to be shown that there is a cause and effect relationship between the things they do and the pathetic things that happen to them.

So consider this a public service, while entertaining myself at the same time.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I just thought of something: Given where Reader lives, could it be that the "Methodist" church she is a member of is actually an AME Church?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to get a priest's opinion on that one.
I'd love to get a priest's opinion of you. THAT would be entertainment gold.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I just thought of something: Given where Reader lives, could it be that the "Methodist" church she is a member of is actually an AME Church?
I'm betting it's an old storefront with a hand-painted sign containing any or all of these words..."tabernacle, " "assembly," and "anointed."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you have polled them all then?
Which conference would that be?
Polled?

Do you base "Thous shalt not kill" on a modern time polling result? Popularity?

Done with this subject, Twister. You adhere to man made beliefs that align with your choices.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame there is so little to laugh at, or that you even can laugh at these days. Not because the subject matter isn't there, but because the PC police has castrated everybody so they won't say anything about it.
It's true, Bobby-O. But we can laugh with you.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>I'm betting it's an old storefront with a hand-painted sign containing any or all of these words..."tabernacle, " "assembly," and "anointed."
Nah...even those folks don't believe God is a woman.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>I'm betting it's an old storefront with a hand-painted sign containing any or all of these words..."tabernacle, " "assembly," and "anointed."
Well described.

They have been springing up all over the country for years. Not affilated with any organized religion and gathering their parishioners by preaching the 'word' they want to hear. They can slap 'methodist','baptist','all saints', anything they want on there. Doesn't make them legit. I particularly like the 'annointed.' LOL
Spookhere F trolls

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Polled?
Do you base "Thous shalt not kill" on a modern time polling result? Popularity?
Done with this subject, Twister. You adhere to man made beliefs that align with your choices.
The correct translation is thou shalt not murder. Killing as a punishment and to claim land was often command by God for the Israelites to do.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah...even those folks don't believe God is a woman.
But they're the right color for her to feel maternal and condescending. Reader can get her foot in the door that way and work on the gender angle.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually did some work for a Methodist Church. The Methodist Church was originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church, and it was formed in reaction to what some people felt was too much liberalism creeping into the Anglican (Episcopal) Church. The Methodist Episcopal Church members mostly have Anglo roots. It took on the name "United Methodist Church" when the Methodist Episcopal Church merged with the United Church of Christ in 1969-ish, which had virtually similar doctrines, but more of a German Heritage.
Bottom line is that SL is correct that the Methodist Church is traditionally supposed to be a conservative institution and not a liberal one.
*** Interesting side note: The African Methodist Episcopal church was also originally part of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
I don't know the full history. However, the United Church of Christ is still in existence--hence did not merge in the 60s. Most American protestent sects experienced a North-South type split during the Civil War (or thereabouts) over slavery. I do believe that there was some kind of coming together around about that time. However, this is quite distinctly different from a group splintering off (as SL has claimed). And the history of Methodism in this country goes back over a hundred years--which I know from having worked at a Methodist-founded institution for a good many years.

It seems to be something in the nature of Protestantism that there is frequently a tension between the local congregations and the policies and missions nationally--so I cannot swear that the policies that I have experience were completely universal. However, going back easily to the 1960s Methodism in the US (as expressed by the United Methodist Church nationally) has been pretty solidly concerned with such social issues as poverty, education, health, diversity and inclusion and so forth. And have been viewed by many as liberal.

But, they are certainly far from having fundamentalist leanings of the sort that declares others to be un-Christian, false prophets or led by Satan for holding views supportive of reproductive choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 47 min d pantz 94
Bizzybee Catman Dave Serious Lady Rowdy Sidekick 1 hr d pantz 51
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr d pantz 29,467
Peeping Tom Films Woman Through Window In North... 7 hr They cannot kill a Spook 6
How To Cut A Watermelon in Under A Minute 7 hr They cannot kill a Spook 2
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 8 hr Anonymous of Indy 2,226
Mother Chased Out Of Home By Armed Man 8 hr yeah baby yeah 6
•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••